• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Why does a whale have wings? That doesn't make any sense.
The massive cetacean obviously uses its wings to defy gravity and fly through the air.

As whales do.

Obviously.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Origami King does have some of it's own characters. Heck, even a few of the Toads were given a little bit more care this go around.

They could do a Spirit event just fine.:drshrug:

MooMew64

They don't anymore due to the fact that pre-existing Spirits can be added to DLC characters' Spirit Boards.
I think the main point is that ARMS used this trick because the ARMS Spirits were added into base game, well before ARMS was chosen to get a fighter. For something like Astral Chain or RE, it's different because of when the events happened: Why add a Spirit Event to the game for a franchise that you negotiated and started development on for FP2? The main difference is timing.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think the main point is that ARMS used this trick because the ARMS Spirits were added into base game, well before ARMS was chosen to get a fighter. For something like Astral Chain or RE, it's different because of when the events happened: Why add a Spirit Event to the game for a franchise that you negotiated and started development on for FP2? The main difference is timing.
You're basically using the argument I used to use against a Gen 8 Pokemon against me. This argument could also be used against Sword and Shield Pokemon as well.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's take a census. What Nintendo games have had spirit events and what games have skipped them?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Luigis Mansion, Jump Rope Challenge, and Clubhouse Games are the ones I know of.
I'd also add The Stretchers, Good Job and Xenoblade Chronicles DE. Maybe Cadance of Hyrule in a pinch.

MooMew64

You're basically using the argument I used to use against a Gen 8 Pokemon against me. This argument could also be used against Sword and Shield Pokemon as well.
Pokemon has an out in the form of two DLC packs it has yet to receive Spirits from, as well as lacking Spirits for the final starter evolutions.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
They don't anymore due to the fact that pre-existing Spirits can be added to DLC characters' Spirit Boards.
It's not an outright disconfirmation, but it heavily implies that they don't have any further plans for those characters at the time.

I.D.

Smash Lord
There are people out there actually discussing whether geno's exclusion from the blue spirit event means something

Dinoman96

Smash Master
There are people out there actually discussing whether geno's exclusion from the blue spirit event means something
Geno's a weird case in that his spirit is entirely exclusive to WOL and never appears on the spirit board at all. So I don't think that means much.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Geno's a weird case in that his spirit is entirely exclusive to WOL and never appears on the spirit board at all. So I don't think that means much.
Are there any other spirits like that?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Calling it now, it's gonna be Adeleine. She will be roughly Ness shaped and have a similar hairstyle to Daisy.

Whether this post is satire is up to you.
Your avatar would suggest that this is the call you would make regardless of fact.

I.D.

Smash Lord
And here I was thinking it's because he's more brown than blue

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
I looked at the details of the blue spirit event & geno isn’t there. But Rex is. But then again. It doesn’t mean much Since he was also in past spirit events as well. This ain’t gonna stop Nintendo from picking him if he were to finally join

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Luigis Mansion, Jump Rope Challenge, and Clubhouse Games are the ones I know of.
I'd also add The Stretchers, Good Job and Xenoblade Chronicles DE. Maybe Cadance of Hyrule in a pinch.
I'm surprised they haven't had spirit events for XBCDE, and especially Luigi's Mansion, given how much promotion those games were given.
The fact that there is no Gooigi spirit yet is just weird, because Nintendo made a pretty big deal out of the character when promoting LM3 and the 3DS port, considering he was just a green gooey Luigi. I think that if he had debuted a little earlier, in Dark Moon, perhaps, he could have easily turned out to be an echo. Now I could almost see Gooigi becoming a left field, dark horse contender for FP2, with a moveset drawn entirely from Luigi's Mansion. He could play completely differently than Luigi while looking just like him. Just imagine the salt upon his reveal.

I can understand why they haven't had a spirit event for Clubhouse Games, since it might be a little difficult to think up spirit abilities based on chess and black jack.
Though now I'm realizing how cool it would be to see a fighter based on hanafuda and other classic games. Too bad the only characters in Clubhouse Games are rigid figurines without articulated joints.

At this point I fully expect a spirit event for Cadence of Hyrule, at minimum, given how much Nintendo has been promoting it. A PreMiium swordfighter costume with a new music track seems pretty realistic. Quite frankly, I think most people seem to really be sleeping on Cadence's chances on appearing in Smash in some form. An indie game series crossing over with The Legend of Zelda, of all franchises, is not to be taken lightly. Nintendo must have been more than a little impressed by Crypt of the NecroDancer and Brace Yourself Games.
Imagine Cadence as a pseudo new Zelda rep when people are expecting someone from the upcoming BotW sequel.

Jump Rope Challenge would make for a pretty easy translation to spirit battle. The spirit makes you jump higher. Done.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Honestly I'm not sure if Spirit Events like this even mean anything, especially considering the content was originally in the game to begin with. Now if we're talking an event that brings in a new franchise, like the Resident Evil spirit event, that previously had no content in Smash, that's a different story.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Maybe we should hurry up and pull the trigger on the Mii costume at this point...
I think I'll hold off until we know it's a fighter who can take one for the team, like Isaac or Crash. Someone popular, with some fandom overlap, so the blow is softened. If we instead get it with a more divisive or niche character, like Bandana Dee or Reimu, that could give a severe blow to the fandom's image of them, and I don't want that.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
There are plenty of spirits that share his exclusivity to the World of Light/Dark

Mallow
Cranky Kong
Fierce Deity
Yuga
Tingle
Fi
Roger the Potted Ghost
Pak E. Derm
Elline
Slippy Toad
General Pepper
Ho-oh

SKX31

Smash Master
There are plenty of spirits that share his exclusivity to the World of Light/Dark

Mallow
Cranky Kong
Fierce Deity
Yuga
Tingle
Fi
Roger the Potted Ghost
Pak E. Derm
Elline
Slippy Toad
General Pepper
Ho-oh
Compiling a full list at the moment (that list is loooong...), but one can add Ashley and Tiki (Edit: Dr, Eggman's also in this category) there too already. All of those (including Geno / Mallow) are also Summonable, but again, no Spirit Board for these.

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
He actually is available through summon, but his fight is only available in WoL.

Mallow
Cranky Kong
Fierce Deity
Yuga
Tingle
Fi
Roger the Potted Ghost
Pak E. Derm
Elline
Slippy Toad
General Pepper
Ho-oh
Tiki as well. I dunno if there's others.

SKX31

Smash Master
Are there any other spirits like that?

Geno is also summonable (albeit it's difficult to tell if that has an effect on a hypotheoretical playable appearance). To quote SSBWiki: "Summon with cores from Drake Redcrest, Super Star, any two attack cores, and any neutral core ". Mallow doesn't appear on the Spirit Board either, but he's also summonable: "Summon with cores from Prince Peasley and Kracko."

Others that are WoL and Summonable like Geno / Mallow (but not Spirit Board) include... jesus this list is absurdly long. Not including Summon-only cases like Rodin, Louie and Dhalsim. Spoilering the full list (as far as I saw):

* Cranky Kong: "Summon with cores from Cyrus & Reese and Wrinkly Kong"

* Yuga: "Summon with cores from Vince, Gharnef, and any neutral core"
* Tingle: "Summon with cores from Balloon Fighter and Fairy Bottle"
* Fi: "Summon with cores from Serena and Aegislash"
* Fierce Deity Link: "Summon with cores from Deku Link, Ultra Sword, Happy Mask Salesman, and any attack core"

* Pak. E. Dem: "Summon with cores from Ellie and Mega Eggdozer"

* Elline: "Summon with cores from Smeargle and Wanda"

* Slippy: "Summon with cores from Lin, Winky, any neutral core, and any support core"
* General Pepper: "Summon with cores from Roy Campbell and Labrador Retriever"

* Ho-Oh: "Summon with cores from Raikou, Entei, & Suicune, any grab core, any neutral core, and any two support cores"

* Flying Man: "Summon with cores from Blaziken and Reporter & Wrestler"

* Polar Bear: "Summon with cores from Bewear and Freezie"

* Pegasus Sisters: "Summon with cores from Minerva and Able Sisters"
* Tiki: "Summon with cores from Ninian, Medeus, and any neutral core"

* Hedraw: "Summon with cores from Arbok, Inspired, and Valoo"
* Twinbellows: "Summon with cores from Inuji Darumeshi, Rusty Slugger, and Hothead"
* Reaper and Reapette: "Summon with cores from Death and Grim Leecher"
* Eggplant Wizard: "Summon with cores from Goligan and Eggplant"
* Viridi: "Summon with cores from Xerneas, Alraune, any neutral core, and any support core" (Ah, here we have the classic Sakurai favoritism...:4pacman:)

* Ashley: "Summon with cores from Charlotte Aulin, Star Rod, any neutral core, and any support core"

* Gray Fox: "Summon with cores from Mighty Gazelle and Shadow Man"
* Metal Gear REX: "Summon with cores from Hal Emmerich and Tank & Infantry"

* Dr. Eggman: "Summon with cores from Dr. Crygor, Tamagon, Chansey, and any two grab cores"

* Dunban: "Summon with cores from Reyn and Fiora"

* Guile: "Summon with cores from Arwing, Nash, any two defense cores, and any grab core"
* M. Bison: "Summon with cores from Vega, Sagat, and Balrog"

* Madama Butterfly: "Summon with cores from Shanoa, Aparoid, any neutral core, and any support core"

So... nope, afraid that Geno's status doesn't say much since he's far from alone in this regard. A lot of Summoned spirits (Geno, Cranky, Dr. Eggmani etc.) don't appear on the Spirit Board, and my wild guess would be that Sakurai and co wanted people to actually use the summon menu if said people missed them in WoL. Some Summoned spirits do appear on the Board though (at least once they're obtained, Tails is in this category)... and some Summoned Spirits are exclusive to the Summon Menu (again, Rodin). So it's not wholly consistent.

Whether this affects Geno's, Cranky's and Eggman's chances? I dunno honestly. Chances are that this doesn't affect the individual characters' chances any way, but I'm not fully sure about that because the Summon menu is its own thing.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Sakurai will have to keep writing columns about Min Min trivia until Nintendo allows him to reveal the next character.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sakurai will have to keep writing columns about Min Min trivia until Nintendo allows him to reveal the next character.
Sakurai in August when they still don't have their next character ready:
"Did you guys know uhhh Min Min is made of... noodles...?"

SharkLord

Smash Hero
There's nothing to show for Smash, so Sakurai just gives an in-depth explanation of ARMS lore instead, dredging up never-before seen facts in the process. Development shifts to ARMS 2, and SmashBoards is now ArmsBoards, effective immediately.

MooMew64

Reminder that Min Min appeared in the Spirit Event, "Cruisin' for a Bruisin'".

No, Rex is not deconfirmed. No, Geno's chances didn't suddenly skyrocket.
TBH the only instance where I see Spirits affect the chances of a character at this point is if it's a new franchise being added via a Spirit Event. Spirit Events done to advertise for new/recent releases also make the chances of a character super sketchy IMO.

In this instance, though? No, this blue character event means nothing, lol. These are all spirits that were already in the game, they're just using them for a theme. Not any deeper than that, IMO.

There's nothing to show for Smash, so Sakurai just gives an in-depth explanation of ARMS lore instead, dredging up never-before seen facts in the process. Development shifts to ARMS 2, and SmashBoards is now ArmsBoards, effective immediately.
I am okay with this scenario.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Maybe he will show us how he makes Ramen himself.

That would be worth it.

And more useful than when he taught us to count with Byleth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom