• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm calling it now, next spirit even will be about red characters.
Watch, we'll get a red spirit event any second now. Any second now...

See, red spirits! No, wait, that's Blood Falcon.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
You make a good point, but I want to ask something. How exactly is Three Houses and Paper Mario in the same position?

View attachment 280441

I understand Spirits don't confirm, no duh, but Three Houses didn't have Spirits in the base game. This would be another ARMS situation, not a Three Houses one, where they would take preexisting Spirits and then add new ones for the DLC event.
On top of that any characters that people would actually WANT to see as spirits aren't even IN origami king, as the new Paper Mario's don't have any real characters.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
They COULD have added Sans... just saying. He wears a blue coat
And of course, they'd have to include that infamous song that might play when you fight Sans, depending on whether you have the DLC or not.

I'm honestly surprised that Undertale hasn't gotten a spirit event yet. Even if it was limited to four spirits, you'd think they could group the characters up like they did with Octopath Traveler. (ex. Frisk and Flowey, Sans and Papyrus, Undyne and Alphys, Toriel and Asgore)

Kind of surprised that the Wonderful 101 didn't get a spirit event either, since you'd think it would be easy enough to add spirits for Wonder Pink, Wonder Green, and two of the others. (I'm assuming that they're limited to four new spirits per event, though I have no idea why - you'd think they could add five, six, or even eight spirits at once, given how much time they give you to get them)

While I'm talking about spirit events, hopefully we get a Final Fantasy 7 one, because it's bizarre that Cloud's the only one with a spirit. (a general Final Fantasy one would be better, but that might be spreading it too thin) Use renders of Tifa, Aerith, Barret, and Sephiroth from Final Fantasy 7 Remake (I'm guessing that wouldn't have whatever issues that are associated with Nomura's concept art), release Mii costumes of those characters in the next character pack (maybe based on the blocky overworld models from the original Final Fantasy 7?), and include one song each so we can actually expand on the Final Fantasy soundtrack. (it's not an ideal way to do it, since it's basically charging money for individual songs, but I'll take what I can get)

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Actually, this spirit event got me thinking. If they were to do future color-themed events and added a new spirit like the Warframe one, what characters would you want to see as the event's special spirit? For me it would be:
  • Red: Parin from Gurumin (to get Falcom involved in Smash without directly killing off their lead franchises)
  • Orange: Q*Bert
  • Yellow: Imma be honest the only character that I could think of was the banana from My Friend Pedro and now I kind of want to see what would happen if they added him as a spirit, just out of morbid curiosity
  • Green: Gooigi would be memey enough to work
  • Blue (if they added one this event): Gunvolt
  • Purple: Nights
  • White: honk
(Feel free to add any other colors too, if you so desire)

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
If Nintendo is able to show me Mario 64 in HD before the end of the year, I will shut my complaining mouth.

KillerCage

Smash Master
What a coincidence! I was catching up on Beast Wars this week.

And GOOD LORD, the animation is just as bad as it was when I saw it back in 2018.
The animation may not have aged well, but the writing CERTAINLY has.
There is a reason why I grew to love these characters over 20 years later since the show aired.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again...

While I don’t really think Spirits deconfirm, I also don’t see Min Min as the character that kills this fan rule. Here’s why:

1. Min Min was requested by the ARMS developer and got in, largely, because of it. Meaning if he had asked for, or favored, a character that didn’t already have a base game Spirit, like Mechanica or Helix or something, we likely would’ve gotten them instead. And thus, we would still be debating on whether or not Spirits deconfirm and wouldn’t be saying “Spirits no longer deconfirm.”

2. It’s really not a good idea to base the thought that “Character X is now possible because Min Min breaks the Spirits deconfirm rule!” off of one data point. For all we know, Min Min is an exception to the rule only for reason 1 above. Just because one character breaks the rule doesn’t mean the massive floodgate of Spirit characters are now all completely back on the table. If we start seeing more, then it would be more fair to make these assumptions.

That’s not to say that current Spirits can’t still become playable or that those characters can’t/shouldn’t have discussion. Heck we have Geno and Bandana Dee in discussion quite a bit, among other Spirits and even Assists like Issac. But, until we see some form of “trend”, I don’t really think the “Min Min breaks the Spirits rule!” train of thought is that great an argument.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again...

While I don’t really think Spirits deconfirm, I also don’t see Min Min as the character that kills this fan rule. Here’s why:

1. Min Min was requested by the ARMS developer and got in, largely, because of it. Meaning if he had asked for, or favored, a character that didn’t already have a base game Spirit, like Mechanica or Helix or something, we likely would’ve gotten them instead. And thus, we would still be debating on whether or not Spirits deconfirm and wouldn’t be saying “Spirits no longer deconfirm.”

2. It’s really not a good idea to base the thought that “Character X is now possible because Min Min breaks the Spirits deconfirm rule!” off of one data point. For all we know, Min Min is an exception to the rule only for reason 1 above. Just because one character breaks the rule doesn’t mean the massive floodgate of Spirit characters are now all completely back on the table. If we start seeing more, then it would be more fair to make these assumptions.

That’s not to say that current Spirits can’t still become playable or that those characters can’t/shouldn’t have discussion. Heck we have Geno and Bandana Dee in discussion quite a bit, among other Spirits and even Assists like Issac. But, until we see some form of “trend”, I don’t really think the “Min Min breaks the Spirits rule!” train of thought is that great an argument.
I mean this is basically just saying “be cautiously optimistic” which is a thing that is said all the time.

The Smash Fanbase just likes to throw out the “cautiously” part and replace it with “LET’S GOOOOO”

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Paper Mario grows stronger the longer it takes for Paper Mario spirits to release.

Remember how we convieniently didn't get Three Houses spirits around last July?
I think Paper Mario is out of the running just because Nintendo didn’t care about the new one. They announced it on Twitter two months before release, it never appeared in a Direct & judging by the reviews/WOM it’s just one of those games they made to get a name brand out in lull periods like Yoshi’s Crafted World.

They definitely didn’t care about that game as much as Arms or Three Houses. If we’re going with recent games to shill then Rex, a Sw/Sh Pokemon & Tom Nook are the characters to look out for IMO.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I think Paper Mario is out of the running just because Nintendo didn’t care about the new one. They announced it on Twitter two months before release, it never appeared in a Direct.
That's probably a matter of circumstance and not a sign that they didn't want the game to sell well. It's not like Mario really needs a ton of promotion anyway. The Mario collection will probably be announced on Twitter in the coming weeks and they want that to sell too.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
That's probably a matter of circumstance and not a sign that they didn't want the game to sell well. It's not like Mario really needs a ton of promotion anyway. The Mario collection will probably be announced on Twitter in the coming weeks and they want that to sell too.
Well of course they want it to sell way, but they don’t seem as invested in it as other games. Atleast IMO.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well of course they want it to sell way, but they don’t seem as invested in it as other games. Atleast IMO.
Tbf, a lot of people would have argued the same for ARMS before Min Min.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Jokes on you all my most wanted character already got deconfirmed in the base game so he can't get deconfirmed twice. :denzel:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Jokes on you all my most wanted character already got deconfirmed in the base game so he can't get deconfirmed twice. :denzel:
Bro mine has been deconfirmed for years since I was born.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
those haikus or whatever she wrote about literally using the toilet

i was like dude wtf
This is what unanimously happens whenever a person is allowed to literally **** post.

You shouldn't have been surprised.

osby

Smash Obsessed
On top of that any characters that people would actually WANT to see as spirits aren't even IN origami king, as the new Paper Mario's don't have any real characters.
Did you actually play Origami King? Just because you don't like them doesn't mean the game has no new characters.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This is so hyperbolic that even the box art proves you wrong.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Bro even I know that's a hella sus statement. :mybodyisreggie:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not trying to purposely add on to the dogpile, but there's a few new characters from Origami King who I'd love to see get Spirits

PicsArt_07-29-04.19.24.png

Plus, we don't have any non alter-ego Spirits of Paper Luigi and Paper Peach. Paper Bowser Jr. and Paper Kamek are also lacking Spirits, so yeah, I feel like Origami King has enough material for a Spirit event. If New Horizons can get one, why couldn't/shouldn't Origami King?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Not trying to purposely add on to the dogpile, but there's a few new characters from Origami King who I'd love to see get Spirits

View attachment 280472

Plus, we don't have any non alter-ego Spirits of Paper Luigi and Paper Peach. Paper Bowser Jr. and Paper Kamek are also lacking Spirits, so yeah, I feel like Origami King has enough material for a Spirit event. If New Horizons can get one, why couldn't/shouldn't Origami King?
I would add in the Vellumentals as well the Legion of Stationery. (The giant inanimate objects you fight.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom