• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
I sure am getting tired of this new spirit deconfirming theory when it doesn’t mean anything at all

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I sure am getting tired of this new spirit deconfirming theory when it doesn’t mean anything at all
Speculation is constantly evolving. Around this time last year, all Spirits were absolutely 100% deconfirmations, franchises already involved were off the table because they didn't expand the crossover, and Nintendo was smart enough to realize third-parties were the only DLC characters that would make them money. ARMS wasn't getting a character, but hey, there's always next game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah the spirit thing now isn't actually all that deep.

If they're base game, they're eligible, but not necessarily confirmed. For example, despite there being the chance of there being another "upgrade" I don't know how much I would bet on the entire pass being upgrades.

If they're post-launch, it's not the fact that they are pngs that disconfirm them, but the timing of their release.

Given the fact that Fire Emblem Three Houses didn't get spirits released alongside the release of the game itself, that was suspicious considering Sword & Shield got spirits. Even more interesting is that the contents of Vol. 2 are highly speculated to be decided entirely between June-November of 2019. In other words, why have a spirit even for Resident Evil, for example, if a character from that game/series is already a Spirit instead of waiting for the playable character to be released later?

It's the same reason why the prospective chances of Ring Fit Adventurer and Akira Howard (Astral Chain) aren't looking all that great.

Beyond that, there really isn't much ground to speculate on Spirits. I don't really think there's any reason to believe that particular spirits not being included in particular events means they are planned to be playable. That's an enormous leap.

Lastly, with the latest event not including The Origami King, this puts it outside of the typical 2 week timespan in which new releases typically get a spirit event. This is suspicious to an extent, but I do think before we get too far it's worth noting how spirits work.

Not only is a character represented by a character that functions similarly to them, it also comes down to appearance in some cases. Function and/or appearance tie into it significantly. For the Origami King, there are some options for the Spirits (realistic arts/crafts item bosses, Olly and Olivia, vellumentals) but Paper Mario also has a pretty decent lineup of spirits anyway. That said, I'm not really sure what a Spirit Event for Olly and Olivia looks like, considering most of what makes them unique comes from other aspects of the game that could be spirits on their own.

I say this as somebody who has always lowkey wanted Paper Mario, so I'm not hating on it or making things up to suggest it isn't likely. It's just a potential reason as to why there wasn't an event.

Or, perhaps, we get one down the line similar to Astral Chain or Ring Fit. But I'm not entirely sure what to make of it.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Speculation is constantly evolving. Around this time last year, all Spirits were absolutely 100% deconfirmations, franchises already involved were off the table because they didn't expand the crossover, and Nintendo was smart enough to realize third-parties were the only DLC characters that would make them money. ARMS wasn't getting a character, but hey, there's always next game.
That was painful to read.

Don't forget the part where Joker was now the new standard and every DLC character was gonna be thematically like him.

D

Deleted member

I'd say it hurts Rex's chances a bit, but I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well except for Pokémon tho
The only reason people continue to think the Spirit Event may not count Pokemon out is because it's Pokemon, and the spirits included probably wouldn't be the playable characters in the first place.

If it were any other series it probably wouldn't be considered in the running, but I do find myself agreeing that it can't be counted out altogether.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
The only reason people continue to think the Spirit Event may not count Pokemon out is because it's Pokemon, and the spirits included probably wouldn't be the playable characters in the first place.
that’s why I think the gen 8 rep is gonna be someone unrepresented like urshifu

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Main reason why I think SwSh is different isn't because, "it's Pokemon!" It's because the Spirits were released so close to the launch of SwSh.

If Astral Chain or Ring Fit got Spirits a week or so after their games came out, I don't think it would've been that big of a deal. There'd still be a minimum of one year between the character and the Spirits, and most of what Sakurai made could be recycled in the future. They wanted to commemorate the release of a new game instead of waiting what could potentially be two years after the game was released.

Instead, they decided to release Spirits almost six months after the games launched. At that point, it's hard to explain why they wouldn't just wait for the character.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I'd say the killing blow for Rex/Xenoblade would be if the Mii costume start to get sold separately from FP 1, right now he's still a bonus for purchasing FP 1 and you can't get him separately. So that screws you over if you don't get FP 1 and buy DLC separately. I personally find it very strange, sure it makes sense for FP 1; but you'd think they would just put him on Eshop to buy separately if they have no further plans for him. On top of that "1 year" is enough of an exclusivity time for early purchasers, it would make sense now to just make him available to purchase for anyone.

That and I don't really think they put a lot of thought into most spirit events/selections. I mean, I think this is the first time Rex has ever been in an Event; and he even missed the "Making a Splash" Event last year (Nia was on it, but Rex fits ridiculously well with it too considering there's a whole diving minigame in XC 2 and that's his literal job.)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It’s also a possibility that the Pokémon rep could come from the next years game. Whether it’s a Gen 4 remake or not. Gotta remember that this pass isn’t over until December of 2021.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It’s also a possibility that the Pokémon rep could come from the next years game. Whether it’s a Gen 4 remake or not. Gotta remember that this pass isn’t over until December of 2021.
So what you're saying is...

...Luxray has a legitimate chance of being playable.

Kidding, kidding

For real, though, I'm not sure if they'd revisit Gen 4 for a newcomer since Lucario's already around. Doesn't rule it out, obviously, there's no rule saying it can't happen. I just think they're more likely to push for a much newer 'Mon for the pass.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Look, I think Infernape or Garchomp would be awesome, but Gen 3 remakes didn't mean any of its Pokémon got to be DLC in Smash 4.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So what you're saying is...

...Luxray has a legitimate chance of being playable.

Kidding, kidding

For real, though, I'm not sure if they'd revisit Gen 4 for a newcomer since Lucario's already around. Doesn't rule it out, obviously, there's no rule saying it can't happen. I just think they're more likely to push for a much newer 'Mon for the pass.
Again that’s IF the next game is even a remake. It could just be anything really since SwSh took the place of last years game and DLC took up the place of this years. It could very well just be Gen 9.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I’ve had this idea for a while too. Probably my biggest gaming sin is that I haven’t played a Pokemon game, so I don’t know who the front runners for a Gen 4 Pokemon would be though.

* Red is in my backlog, maybe I’ll get to it next year.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The Gen 4 remakes will probably get a Spirit event just like Let's Go did, but I don't think there's any urgency to promote it with a character. We have Lucario, we have Spear Pillar, we have a handful of music tracks, we have several Pokeball Pokemon and Spirits of Pokemon from Gen 4 — the existing content should more than suffice.

SwSh has more to pull from, and that's because it's currently represented by four Spirits and nothing else.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Again that’s IF the next game is even a remake. It could just be anything really since SwSh took the place of last years game and DLC took up the place of this years. It could very well just be Gen 9.
That's wild to think it'd be this soon.

But maybe that's because I didn't keep up with new Pokemon games growing up. Wasn't until X and Y came out that I started paying more attention to and tried to keep up with them.

Look, I think Infernape or Garchomp would be awesome, but Gen 3 remakes didn't mean any of its Pokémon got to be DLC in Smash 4.
Also this.

Again, doesn't rule the possibility out, but even if it was a Gen 4 remake (which I'd love) we'd have little reason to believe a Gen 4 Smash newcomer would be likely to happen.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know, with all this promotion talk, I just realized

Does Pokemon really need any Promotion? It already has sold over 16 million and counting. If anything, Pokemon would be used to promote Smash

KillerCage

Smash Master
Well there’s also the aegis lady’s which are important to his moveset they appeared multiple times
Didn't her voice actor say she got a new gig that would roast her if she reveals what it is recently?
EDIT: That gig I mentioned wasn't for either Xenoblade or Smash. Sorry!

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984

Does Pokemon really need any Promotion? It already has sold over 16 million and counting. If anything, Pokemon would be used to promote Smash
You'd be right that it doesn't needs one.

But from a commercial standpoint, reaching to even more people to further the success is not a bad idea.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I found this on the Geno thread. I don't know much about this user's trackrecord, but if this is true, it WOULD explain a few things about Nintendo's... situation.

Ok, I don’t usually talk about my connections publicly but I feel like this needs to be said since there does seem to be confusion in both our speculation spaces and insider circles.

There are a LOT of corporate shakeups from across nearly all of the different offices around the world happening at Nintendo. The biggest reason is there is a major investigation going on with the basis of Corporate Espionage due to the leaking of all this classified content that has appeared on the web as of late. They know who the guy is that has been releasing it and has already filed a lawsuit against him but it isn’t stopping there because it is theorized by people inside the company that it was an employee who helped or allowed someone to do this.

Everyone from top to bottom is being investigated because of this. So, even though all this stuff coming out on older games is cool, it’s also effecting Nintendo and it’s releases.

So yeah, there’s that. Nintendo news is being pushed back constantly as more and more people are getting investigated.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

If they're base game, they're eligible, but not necessarily confirmed. For example, despite there being the chance of there being another "upgrade" I don't know how much I would bet on the entire pass being upgrades.

If they're post-launch, it's not the fact that they are pngs that disconfirm them, but the timing of their release.

Given the fact that Fire Emblem Three Houses didn't get spirits released alongside the release of the game itself, that was suspicious considering Sword & Shield got spirits. Even more interesting is that the contents of Vol. 2 are highly speculated to be decided entirely between June-November of 2019. In other words, why have a spirit even for Resident Evil, for example, if a character from that game/series is already a Spirit instead of waiting for the playable character to be released later?

It's the same reason why the prospective chances of Ring Fit Adventurer and Akira Howard (Astral Chain) aren't looking all that great.

Beyond that, there really isn't much ground to speculate on Spirits. I don't really think there's any reason to believe that particular spirits not being included in particular events means they are planned to be playable. That's an enormous leap.

Lastly, with the latest event not including The Origami King, this puts it outside of the typical 2 week timespan in which new releases typically get a spirit event. This is suspicious to an extent, but I do think before we get too far it's worth noting how spirits work.

Not only is a character represented by a character that functions similarly to them, it also comes down to appearance in some cases. Function and/or appearance tie into it significantly. For the Origami King, there are some options for the Spirits (realistic arts/crafts item bosses, Olly and Olivia, vellumentals) but Paper Mario also has a pretty decent lineup of spirits anyway. That said, I'm not really sure what a Spirit Event for Olly and Olivia looks like, considering most of what makes them unique comes from other aspects of the game that could be spirits on their own.

I say this as somebody who has always lowkey wanted Paper Mario, so I'm not hating on it or making things up to suggest it isn't likely. It's just a potential reason as to why there wasn't an event.

Or, perhaps, we get one down the line similar to Astral Chain or Ring Fit. But I'm not entirely sure what to make of it.
Summed up my thoughts on Spirits quite nicely. It's all in the timing: Base game spirits are definitely back on the table, as the timing between basegame and DLC2's planning phases were most likely very far away from each other that stances on inclusion could be rethought, as we saw with Min Min. However, Spirits added now are very detrimental for the chances of a character, as why would you include them or elements from their game as Spirits now if you're going to make them playable and have a Spirit Board included with them later?

Also, yeah, Paper Mario not getting an event is interesting. Doesn't put him as a "Oh my gosh it's happening!" situation as they could do one later, but the longer we go without one the more it makes you wonder due to what happened with Three Houses.

Also, Pokemon is Pokemon. It gets the red carpet treatment in Smash all the time, so honestly I don't think any speculation rules really apply to it given the special treatment the series gets: If TPC and Nintendo want a Pokemon in there, they're gonna be in there regardless of timing on other things, lol. Plus, most of the Pokemon that are realistically eligible don't have Spirits ATM and could bring plenty of new ones with them from the DLC, so there's plenty of potential content to pull from.

Also, Pokemon is Pokemon. It gets the red carpet treatment in Smash all the time, so honestly I don't think any speculation rules really apply to it given the special treatment the series gets: If TPC and Nintendo want a Pokemon in there, they're gonna be in there regardless of timing on other things, lol. Plus, most of the Pokemon that are realistically eligible don't have Spirits ATM and could bring plenty of new ones with them from the DLC, so there's plenty of potential content to pull from.
This is interesting to me because Pokemon has only had one dlc character so far, who was a returning vet: Mewtwo. While Pokemon has always gotten 1-2 newcomers, they have been base game additions. The franchise hasn't really seen much activity within the dlc landscape so far. Could it happen this time? Definitely, but we don't have much to go on in terms of precedence.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
So I found this on the Geno thread. I don't know much about this user's trackrecord, but if this is true, it WOULD explain a few things about Nintendo's... situation.
I'm curious why this would be happening now when the iQue data was taken back in 2016 AFAIK. And although some of the big stuff has been released recently, the data had already been trickling out before now.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I mean, we did get Pokemon Trainer, who was pretty clearly based on the Red and Blue/Green remakes. So a character based on remakes has happened before. I strongly, strongly doubt we'll get a character for Sinnoh remakes, but I wouldn't 100% rule it out. If I had to pick a Pokemon to rep them, I'd go with Garchomp.

But, like I said, I think such a thing is very, very unlikely to happen. Hell, we don't even know if remakes are happening at all at this point

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

SWSH might not, but there are facets of the series that would benefit from Smash promotion, like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Let's take a census. What Nintendo games have had spirit events and what games have skipped them?
Astral Chain and 3 Houses for sure with each of those going in different directions. Gonna give Paper Mario some time before calling that one skipped still. Otherwise no idea

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The eternal Nintendo cycle:

-Hype
-Hype some more
-Hype to unhealthy levels
-The reveal is low-key
-Accuse Nintendo of lying and get unreasonably upset

Will we ever learn? Will we grow? Will us, the community, improve?

No. :dr^_^:
Forget the never-ending cycle of violence.

This is the real never-ending cycle right here.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

For me spirits don't deconfirm if:
1. They are from the base
2. the spirit event happened before Pass 2 started
3. The spirit event left obvious doors open(Pokemon and RE mostly here, although their chances went down a lot)

Otherwise I think spirits the deconfirm. I'm not sure why people kept screaming about spirits once Pass 1 ended when the arguement was never that spirits are a complete death sentence though.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'll be honest, looking at throwaway Spirit Events to see what characters do and don't feature on them is the dumbest speculation trend in a hot minute. It's not new content, just remixing old stuff, and it would require the Spirit team - which is a separate team - to know about characters much longer in advance than necessary. Plus it implies that either Nintendo thinks that having a future fighter featured as a Spirit - when they're already been made into one - is an unacceptable overlap, or that they're outright teasing people. Neither of which seems remotely probable.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

Never liked this argument. Most series or characters that get into Smash don't need it. That's not how they pick characters. Otherwise we'd have characters from Wonderful 101, Advanced Wars, Custom Robo, etc all over the game. I'm not sure who the last character that was added in because the series needed someone in Smash for the game to sell was. Usually if you need Smash to sell the game then the game gets skipped over for a character.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I just go by "Base Game Spirit-Safe, Post-Launch Spirit-Deconfirmed," same for the Mii Costumes (Might make an exception for Rex's Mii, since it was chosen during the base game's development). Assist Trophies might be a deconfirm, but Min Min's presentation could go both ways and I'm not ready to make a definitive statement just yet (Though I lean towards safe).

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
This is interesting to me because Pokemon has only had one dlc character so far, who was a returning vet: Mewtwo. While Pokemon has always gotten 1-2 newcomers, they have been base game additions. The franchise hasn't really seen much activity within the dlc landscape so far. Could it happen this time? Definitely, but we don't have much to go on in terms of precedence.
Well to be fair there wasn't that much opportunity to add Pokemon as DLC in the past. Our only game with DLC is Smash 4, but it finishes is DLC cycle before the release of the new game (Smash 4 DLC end early 2016, Pokemon sun/moon released late 2016).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Never liked this argument. Most series or characters that get into Smash don't need it. That's not how they pick characters. Otherwise we'd have characters from Wonderful 101, Advanced Wars, Custom Robo, etc all over the game. I'm not sure who the last character that was added in because the series needed someone in Smash for the game to sell was. Usually if you need Smash to sell the game then the game gets skipped over for a character.
I agree with you, but there's a difference between picking, say, Shulk, which can raise his profile and that of his franchise and hopefully grow it, and having the same thought process for Pokemon.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Some characters are promotional. Most, however, aren't. It tends to be a pretty even mix of promotional, fan requests, and characters Sakurai likes, saw potential in, or thought would be a funny addition

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom