• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Some characters are promotional. Most, however, aren't. It tends to be a pretty even mix of promotional, fan requests, and characters Sakurai likes, saw potential in, or thought would be a funny addition
That's one thing I wish more fans would realize.

Characters usually do multiple things at once.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I was thinking about the possibilities of more echoes & I was wondering if it’s a “rule” that characters must only take moves from the series they’re in. That’s been the case so far but that might just be a coincidence.

I was mainly wondering about this since I think Tails could be a mix of Sonic & Mii Gunner. While, Raiden would be Snake with a hint of Joker (Mainly Joker’s gun).

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I was thinking about the possibilities of more echoes & I was wondering if it’s a “rule” that characters must only take moves from the series they’re in. That’s been the case so far but that might just be a coincidence.

I was mainly wondering about this since I think Tails could be a mix of Sonic & Mii Gunner. While, Raiden would be Snake with a hint of Joker (Mainly Joker’s gun).
And Tail's up special would probably be like DK's, only using his tails, and should travel much further because Tails should obviously have a good recovery

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
And Tail's up special would probably be like DK's, only using his tails, and should travel much further because Tails should obviously have a good recovery
Yeah, I guess he’d be more of a semi-clone like Luigi or Isabelle. But I imagine that could be easy-ish to develop.

These are who I’d like to see in a potential echo pass:

94CCAB80-EFEF-41A6-8E82-E83A03C15FBD.jpeg

I think you could definitely give these 4 characters their own movesets (especially Raiden), but that’s probably not going to happen so I’d like to see them anyway.

It’s been said a million times but Zelda could really use another character, preferably one who’s not a part of the main trio. It’d be nice if it was an original character but an echo would be good for now tbh. While for Dixie, she’s a pretty popular request & DK is Nintendo’s biggest series (4th if you exclude Smash), so it could use one extra character.

I think it’d be nice to see the first two third parties who got in Smash finally get another character. Tails being the second most iconic video games sidekick. Raiden being apart of one of the most famous twists in gaming history.

It’d be nice if these characters came with extra music tracks too. Donkey Kong definitely needs some tracks from Tropical Freeze, Metal Gear could use some Metal Gear Rising tracks & dear god does Sonic need more classic Sonic songs.

At this point, I doubt those final 4 spots in the game’s data are getting filled. But it would be nice if they are. Echoes would be an easy way to do that, as well as giving Smash fans some extra gifts before the finale. I feel these 4 characters would please a lot of people too.

Maaaybe a couple echoes inbetween the characters in FP2 is why it’s taking twice the amount of time as FP1? Probably not but it’d be nice.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Yeah, I guess he’d be more of a semi-clone like Luigi or Isabelle. But I imagine that could be easy-ish to develop.

View attachment 280528

I think you could definitely give these 4 characters their own movesets (especially Raiden), but that’s probably not going to happen so I’d like to see them anyway.

It’s been said a million times but Zelda could really use another character, preferably one who’s not a part of the main trio. It’d be nice if it was an original character but an echo would be good for now tbh. While for Dixie, she’s a pretty popular request & DK is Nintendo’s biggest series (4th if you exclude Smash), so it could use one extra character.

I think it’d be nice to see the first two third parties who got in Smash finally get another character. Tails being the second most iconic video games sidekick. Raiden being apart of one of the most famous twists in gaming history.

It’d be nice if these characters came with extra music tracks too. Donkey Kong definitely needs some tracks from Tropical Freeze, Metal Gear could use some Metal Gear Rising tracks & dear god does Sonic need more classic Sonic songs.

At this point, I doubt those final 4 spots in the game’s data are getting filled. But it would be nice if they are. Echoes would be an easy way to do that, as well as giving Smash fans some extra gifts before the finale. I feel these 4 characters would please a lot of people too.

Maaaybe a couple echoes inbetween the characters in FP2 is why it’s taking twice the amount of time as FP1? Probably not but it’d be nice.
The only character I slightly disagree with on your list is Raiden as his Metal Gear Rising Incarnation is way more interesting and could easily be unique. I would be quite happy with this list if it happened though.

My echo pass would like
-Zack Fair for Cloud
-Jeanne for Bayonetta
-Octolings for Inklings
-Blaze or Tails for Sonic

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On the topic of echoes, I don't believe we'll see an Echo Fighter for a character that's already playable in Smash, and neither would Vol 2 include a Fighter Pack of just an Echo or a Fighter Pass dedicated to Echoes.

However, I won't dismiss a Fighter Pack that features 2 characters with 1 of them as an Echo Fighter; it's 2 for the price of 1. The only question is what characters could potentially pull it off.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
On the topic of echoes, I don't believe we'll see an Echo Fighter for a character that's already playable in Smash, and neither would Vol 2 include a Fighter Pack of just an Echo or a Fighter Pass dedicated to Echoes.

However, I won't dismiss a Fighter Pack that features 2 characters with 1 of them as an Echo Fighter; it's 2 for the price of 1. The only question is what characters could potentially pull it off.
Dante & Nero
Crash & Coco
I think those could work well

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler

I’d be cool with Crash and Coco as a echo (or Goku and Vegeta....)

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Master Chief & The Arbiter
Crash & Coco
Sora & Roxas/Xion

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Some characters are promotional. Most, however, aren't. It tends to be a pretty even mix of promotional, fan requests, and characters Sakurai likes, saw potential in, or thought would be a funny addition
That’s mostly what my fighters pass 2 predictions are rn

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Master Chief & The Arbiter
As much as I really like Arbiter, would he really fit well as an echo if his model build is different from Master Chief's? Like, the moves can all be copied to him with no problem at all, anything Chief can do Arbiter can do it too. But it's the build difference that makes me wonder if an echo really is possible.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Nero wouldn't work as an echo fighter of Dante.

That's one thing I wish more fans would realize.

Characters usually do multiple things at once.
And the only thing that every character in the roster does is... promoting his series. By just being in Smash you're directly or indirectly promoting your franchise.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
As much as I really like Arbiter, would he really fit well as an echo if his model build is different from Master Chief's? Like, the moves can all be copied to him with no problem at all, anything Chief can do Arbiter can do it too. But it's the build difference that makes me wonder if an echo really is possible.
I imagine there’s some similarities between their models in Halo 2 & 3. I guess it depends on how different the model can be.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Have we actually had official confirmation that there will be no DLC after the Fighter Pass 2?

I haven't been keeping up with official news from Ninty or Sakurai much lately.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Have we actually had official confirmation that there will be no DLC after the Fighter Pass 2?

I haven't been keeping up with official news from Ninty or Sakurai much lately.
Sakurai said in a column he had “no plans” past this pass. Plans are always subject to change.

in regards to official press material like actual announcements in a presentation, no

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I feel the fact that he reiterated it recently makes it seem a bit more final. These are going to be the final 5 characters, or atleast full characters.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

View attachment 280528

Impa could probably work as a Sheik Echo, but I don't know enough about the series to say.

Dixie could work, but the ponytail and lack of tail would probably be enough to promote her to semiclone status. Remember, Isabelle was made her own thing just because the proportions didn't match up.

I don't think Tails would really work due to the aforementioned proportions. As much as I advocate Shadow as his own fighter, at least he matches Sonic's proportions; Tails doesn't. Plus, Sonic's attitude lends him to some moves that would really work on other characters; The spinball moves are a liberty I could accept, but I can't see anyone else doing the split kick of the wind-up punch without looking somewhat out-of-character.

Raiden wouldn't work because his most iconic incarnation is the one from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, so that would have to be used over his MGS2 version, and we all know that wouldn't work as a Snake Echo at all.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I honestly don't get the appeal of a pass solely out of echoes, if they were like Ken, maybe, but Ken's an exception for Echoes, not the norm, cause wouldn't you prefer a character you like being unique instead of being a copy paste clone of a different character as DLC is a period that wouldn't need to be held down by time constraints?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Impa could probably work as a Sheik Echo, but I don't know enough about the series to say.

Dixie could work, but the ponytail and lack of tail would probably be enough to promote her to semiclone status. Remember, Isabelle was made her own thing just because the proportions didn't match up.

I don't think Tails would really work due to the aforementioned proportions. As much as I advocate Shadow as his own fighter, at least he matches Sonic's proportions; Tails doesn't. Plus, Sonic's attitude lends him to some moves that would really work on other characters; The spinball moves are a liberty I could accept, but I can't see anyone else doing the split kick of the wind-up punch without looking somewhat out-of-character.

Raiden wouldn't work because his most iconic incarnation is the one from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, so that would have to be used over his MGS2 version, and we all know that wouldn't work as a Snake Echo at all.
Impa would work amazing as a Sheik echo...

They're both ninjas that hardly do anything but spout exposition before disappearing.

LipeCau

Smash Cadet
I'd love an echo pack with 12 characters with the only purpose of having 100 characters in the game.
Here are my picks:
Mario - Toad (Toadette alt, with Yoshi/Bowser's Down-B)
Captain Falcon - Black Shadow (Basically Melee Ganondorf)
Bayonetta - Jeanne
Inkling - Octoling
Ness - Ninten (Mix Ness & Lucas, as Chrom is a Roy & Ike's mix)
Olimar - Louie (Brittany & Charlie alts, maybe with Rock Pikmin instead of purple)
Luigi - Gooigi (Super ball instead of Fireball)
Pac-Man - Ms. Pac-Man (dif fruits and taunts)
Palutena - Medusa (Different Elemental Properties)
Diddy Kong - Slippy (Granade instead of banana, Laser gun instead of peanut popper and some neutral adjustments for attacks that used Diddy's tail)
Donkey Kong - Donkey Kong Jr. (A little faster)
Mega Man - Proto Man (Mega Man with Link's shield)

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
In other news, after Warden from For Honor shows up in Samurai Shodown, now it times for:

Someone from Honor of Kings, the "first?" Tencent rep to show up in a SNK game. Time for a Honor of Kings/Arena of Valor rep guessing game for Smash.
UPDATED, so here is the HoK and Tencent rep who will appears in Samurai Shodown.

Anyone want to gives their opinion on this character or another HoK/AoV rep being a possible Smash newcomer? Or do you want to go for a LoL rep guessing game again, and if so, here I will limit the selection to the one who are confirm to appears in Project L (LoL Fighting Game), Darius, Ahri, Jinx, and Katarina.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I honestly don't get the appeal of a pass solely out of echoes, if they were like Ken, maybe, but Ken's an exception for Echoes, not the norm, cause wouldn't you prefer a character you like being unique instead of being a copy paste clone of a different character as DLC is a period that wouldn't need to be held down by time constraints?
It's just cool to see more cool characters get to join the roster.

Jeanne would play exactly the same like Bayonetta pretty much, but Jeanne is still cool so getting to play as her and seeing her get the spotlight would be nice. And there could be people that like her more than Bayonetta for whatever reasons.

Similar to how there are people that might prefer playing Richter over Simon, or Daisy or Peach.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
UPDATED, so here is the HoK and Tencent rep who will appears in Samurai Shodown.

Anyone want to gives their opinion on this character or another HoK/AoV rep being a possible Smash newcomer? Or do you want to go for a LoL rep guessing game again, and if so, here I will limit the selection to the one who are confirm to appears in Project L (LoL Fighting Game), Darius, Ahri, Jinx, and Katarina.
I'm confused. Is it Gonsun Li or Gong Sun-Li? I've seen different spellings and I'm kinda confused. Also, wasn't her game called Arena of Valor outside of China?

On that note, I can't help but wonder of a AoV rep would go over better or worse than an LoL rep. LoL seems to be more infamous, but I could be wrong. Plus, a lesser-known game owned by Tencent directly rather than a subsidiary might be perceived as a "shill pick" by some. I'm kinda defaulting to Ahri for this situation, mostly because she's the only character here I'm really familiar with.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

With how much tencent is digging their claws into everything nowadays I wouldn't be surprised if we got a rep from them in smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's just cool to see more cool characters get to join the roster.

Jeanne would play exactly the same like Bayonetta pretty much, but Jeanne is still cool so getting to play as her and seeing her get the spotlight would be nice. And there could be people that like her more than Bayonetta for whatever reasons.

Similar to how there are people that might prefer playing Richter over Simon, or Daisy or Peach.
That's true but those characters were put in because they cost significantly less time to make and thus, padded the roster, I just don't understand why people would want to get nothing but clones for a pass when DLC allows you to make every character unique due to not needing to work on the game as a whole, not to mention it'd pretty much be begging to have those characters give people ire, let's say we get Impa as a Sheik echo, now Zelda only has 1 character with a unique moveset and as a result, gets the same treatment from people who whine about how every FE character is just another Marth clone. Add in Ninten, a character who looks exactly like Ness who plays the exact same as Ness too without anything to make him stand out.

TLDR: You can do so much better now

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Also, wasn't her game called Arena of Valor outside of China?
Arena of Valor is a international adaption of Honor of Kings in which the character from Chinese folklore and mythology are replaced with European folklore and mythology.

Basically, Gongsun Li has a doppelganger equivalent in AoV, but I am not a expert on the subject of both games, so I have no clue on who it is. All I know is that Gongsun Li is in the markman class, and she is a projectile focused character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom