• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I have to admit that i didn't wanted to make the years challenge cause i'm lazy and i though it was pointless... but some of the characters people are coming with are actually pretty good picks XD

And hachi NEEDS to be in mainstay bloodstained games. love that little bugger
Hachi is now the best doggo in gaming. As someone who delivers mail, I ****ing despise dogs, but not Hachi, he's special. Put the good boy in Smash alongside all his friends

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh **** wait I remembered the Cindered Shadows DLC came out this year.

Yuri is my 2020 pick. If Cuphead can't shoot people with finger guns, the Yuri has to step up to the plate.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm happy to hear that Level-5 is doing pretty well this year, probably due to the Lets Play at home campaign since I think all those games where part of that sale I believe.

Hopefully we'll be hearing more from them soon, games wise.
Oh, that would explain quite a bit. Still, that's not meant to take anything away from the individual games - they're a good sign that Level-5's doing well, and that's great to see.

While I'm at it, are you at all familiar with Ni No Kuni? I had no clue the series existed in the first place before seeing the image, and now I'm getting the impression that it's one of those sleeper series that could get in without (almost) anyone seeing it coming.

Guys... I think Pac-Man is in Smash! :love:
...And one of the worst stages in Smash too.

*Ba-Dum-Tssh*

Outside of that - Pac-Land did give us the hydrant. It as a move is kinda fine in concept, I just don't like that it's overly important in Pac-Man's playstyle. Still it does allow for crazy stuff and I like it for that:

Craziest_PAC-MAN_CombosPlays_in_Smash_Ultimate (1).gif

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
here is little fun thing
these are the year origin of characters we dont have in smash yet
1970s
if you had to add characters from these years who would you want it to be?
This really made me think... I hate thinking!

1982 - Peter Pepper (Burgertime)
1995 - Crono (Chrono Trigger)
2000 - R-108 (TimeSplitters)
2003 - Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe)
2008 - Nico Bellic (Grand Theft Auto IV)
2011 - Adam Jensen (Deus Ex)
2014 - Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
2018 - Arthur Morgan (Red Dead Redemption 2)
2020 - AOL_dial_up.mp3

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh, that would explain quite a bit. Still, that's not meant to take anything away from the individual games - they're a good sign that Level-5's doing well, and that's great to see.

While I'm at it, are you at all familiar with Ni No Kuni? I had no clue the series existed in the first place before seeing the image, and now I'm getting the impression that it's one of those sleeper series that could get in without (almost) anyone seeing it coming.

...And one of the worst stages in Smash too.

*Ba-Dum-Tssh*

Outside of that - Pac-Land did give us the hydrant. It as a move is kinda fine in concept, I just don't like that it's overly important in Pac-Man's playstyle. Still it does allow for crazy stuff and I like it for that:

View attachment 279740
Yeah, Level-5 was holding a Lets Play at Home campaign earlier this year due to the pandemic in order to encourage folks to stay at home, so they made a pretty large sale for their games. Pretty happy to see that it has done well.

While I haven't played the Ni No Kuni games myself, it does seem to be another popular franchise in Level-5's arsenal as well, the game was developed collaboratively with Level-5 and Studio Ghibli. I could see Sakurai potentially taking an interest in it as well yeah, since he seems to enjoy his JRPG's and all.

I think Smash wise, it would probably be between Layton, Yo-Kai Watch and Ni No Kuni if Level-5 where to get a character (And maybe Inazuma Eleven if Sakurai doesn't mind the fact that the series is near non existent in the US....)

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
here is little fun thing
1970s
1982 - Dig Dug
2000 - Beat (Jet Set Radio)
2003 - Lilty (Crystal Chronicles)
2008 - The dude from Spelunky
2011 - Creeper aww man.
2014 - Queen Sectonia
2018 - Lea (CrossCode)
2020 - I can barely count new 2020 releases I give a crap about on one hand, so I'll go for Flick from New Horizons to give us another reptilian fighter.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

2020 - AOL_dial_up.mp3
I am surprised you found out about 1995 but the reason why I have not included it was because of star fox 2 which originates Wolf in it

andree123

Smash Ace
EVERYONE
What if this lead into a reveal of a Pokemon rep being Challenger pack 7, similar how Fire Emblem Warriors was free for Nintendo Switch Online members in one week around the time that Byleth is going to be revealed.
I am betting on Decidueye.

SonicMario

Smash Master
EVERYONE
What if this lead into a reveal of a Pokemon rep being Challenger pack 7, similar how Fire Emblem Warriors was free for Nintendo Switch Online members in one week around the time that Byleth is going to be revealed.
Why Decidueye? What logic would the next Pokemon rep being anything other then one that debuted in Sword and Shield?

And while the free Fire Emblem Warriors prior to Byleth is interesting. Surely there had to have been times where games were temporarily in free game trials that didn't get a related announcement within a week later right?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
EVERYONE
I was joking when i said that everyone was gangsta until we get a shillmon.

Please no.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
EVERYONE
Huh, cool. Think I'll check that out.
Anyways, I'm pretty sure there has been some free trials unrelated to Smash before, but I'm not sure which games they were. Hmm...

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yeah, Level-5 was holding a Lets Play at Home campaign earlier this year due to the pandemic in order to encourage folks to stay at home, so they made a pretty large sale for their games. Pretty happy to see that it has done well.

While I haven't played the Ni No Kuni games myself, it does seem to be another popular franchise in Level-5's arsenal as well, the game was developed collaboratively with Level-5 and Studio Ghibli. I could see Sakurai potentially talking an interest in it as well yeah, since he seems to enjoy his JRPG's and all.

I think Smash wise, it would probably be between Layton, Yo-Kai Watch and Ni No Kuni if Level-5 where to get a character (And maybe Inazuma Eleven if Sakurai doesn't mind the fact that the series is near non existent in the US....)
Speaking of, whatever happened to the Switch Inazuma eleven game? Did that ever come out?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Speaking of, whatever happened to the Switch Inazuma eleven game? Did that ever come out?
Developments hell.
Worst than Duke Nukem 3D level of developement hell, to the point of having a full story rewrite, engine recoded and gameplay changed.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Dread it, run from it, Urshifu still arrives.
Y'know, if CP7 isn't a Pokemon, Urshifu's support/predictions are just gonna evaporate. After Byleth, it feels like people are just thinking of a potential Pokemon fighter as "le shoddy shill picc" and just go to the most recent character. If that was the mindset being used, we'd probably have gotten Yuri instead of Byleth.

osby

Smash Obsessed
EVERYONE
This is how Baboom wins.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Got delayed again to next year unfortunately, and to think that game was announced at the same time as Layton's Mystery Journey in, 2016 I believe...

I think development has been rebooted as well, much like Metroid Prime 4.

From what I heard, that game is pretty much the reason why Level-5 has been so quiet these days...

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
EVERYONE
alright guys so hear me out
ludicolo272.png

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Got delayed again to next year unfortunately, and to think that game was announced at the same time as Layton's Mystery Journey in, 2016 I believe...

I think development has been rebooted as well, much like Metroid Prime 4.

From what I heard, that game is pretty much the reason why Level-5 has been so quiet these days...
Huh. I wonder if that has anything to do with those rumors of Level-5 having financial problems.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I am surprised you found out about 1995 but the reason why I have not included it was because of star fox 2 which originates Wolf in it
Wolf officially originates from Star Fox 64 so he debuted in 1997.

EVERYONE
Decidueye? Yes please!

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I doubt Urshifu will be the potential Pokemon character because We didn't even get spirits for the post launch characters from ARMS and they were all out as of November. It all depends on how far back Isle Of Armor's development went. Urshifu would be cool tho

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
EVERYONE
HE'S COMING!!
Or They're coming I guess...since there's two forms

Edit: Curse you broken images!!! *shakes fist angrily*

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Huh. I wonder if that has anything to do with those rumors of Level-5 having financial problems.
I think they had some lay off's a couple years back but we haven't really heard much since.

Hino does have a development blog over at Level-5's official website where he regularly comments on the current state of the new Inazuma Eleven game, that's probably the closest thing we have in regards to the company's current state and how things are going.

Currently their holding an art competition for the newly released HD port of the third Layton game

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
EVERYONE
As someone who wants another Pokemon, I doubt this will lead to anything.

I'm 99% sure a hypothetical Pokemon newcomer would be from Gen 8, and Pokken doesn't represent that game at all. I think they'd be more likely to time a Smash reveal with Crown Tundra news, assuming they'd actually care enough to time the reveals with relevant news. Even when things line up perfectly (ARMS anniversary and Min Min for example), they never take advantage of it.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
EVERYONE
You mean the one that got overthrown by :ultincineroar: as the gen 8 rep as sakurai stated?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Gimme the chad sharkmon. Garchomp would be the closest thing to Bryan Fury in Smash since he's his clone in Pokken and I'm all up for it.

garchomp_dawn.png

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
EVERYONE
Somehow

Someway

Meowstic will win

Don't ask me how, but they will :yeahboi:

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
here is little fun thing
1970s
1982: Donkey Kong Jr.
1995: Dixie Kong (you missed 1995)
2000: Waluigi or Paper Mario or Skull Kid
2003: Toadette (with Toad alt :shades:)
2008: Chorus Kids
2011: Ghirahim
2014: Shovel Knight
2018: Melmetal
2020: Urshifu

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

2020 - AOL_dial_up.mp3
You can tell Trapezium got hacked because this doesn't say Cortez
I was joking when i said that everyone was gangsta until we get a shillmon.

Please no.
Tbf the closest to a shillmon Pokken has is Decidueye, who was from 4 years ago.

Jesus christ Sun and Moon were 4 years ago what the ****7

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
EVERYONE
Remember the time Splatoon 2 was free for NSO members and we got a Splatoon rep?

I highly doubt this has much to do with anything other than Nintendo trying to drum up interest in NSO and one of their older games.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I believe the last free trial they did was for Splatoon 2. Of course. we got Arms and Fire Emblem Warriors beforehand as well, which DID line up (with Arms's free trial dropping after the mini where they announced the next fighter would be from Arms). But they don't always.

Besides, why would they do a trial on Pokken of all things if it meant a current Pokemon in Smash? Pokken doesn't have the new gen. I think they're just trying to get people invested in NSO.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I don't even have a specific Pokémon I'd want for Smash at this point, just as long as we could get something from Generations 3 or 5 I'd be happy.

. . .Though a Gen 3 trainer and Zoroark'd be neat.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Clearly y'all ain't ready for when this leads up to Pokkén Tournament Ultimate DX which adds the entire Pokédex in one form or another.

Droodle

Smash Lord
YHVH_SMTIVF_Official_Art.jpg

[RECORD SCRATCH] Freeze frame.

Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up as a spirit in Smash; well, it's a long story. It all started when this game called SMT 5 was announced for the Switch back in 2017.

All jokes aside, do you think the fact that SMT games usually have the fighting/killing of religious gods, including [Record Scratch] may hold back Nintendo from adding it to Smash? Nintendo usually tries to keep religion in their games to a minimum, and SMT is pretty heavy handed with that stuff. And not like modern Persona either, because I think there's a big difference between the two even.

So basically like a Saber situation where the content of their origin games might make Nintendo averse to adding it to Smash? The character wouldn't bring that stuff to Smash, but some people are bound to throw a fit saying how it's "offensive".

Now I personally think that characters like Saber and a SMT rep are on the table, because their franchises span way further than just those things/games. But I know others may not feel the same way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom