• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Idc if its Min Min or Max Brass. Anyone not named Spring Man would honestly be a miracle for me

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Funny how just like in ARMS, it ended up turning into Spring Man vs Max Brass in the end.
Ngl, Max Brass would have the easiest trailer to write ever and a cool one.
Give me a Max Brass joining the Smash Championship to get another belt with a Max Brass vs Little Mac in CG

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So I'm pretty sure this weekend will consist of a lot of Spring Man vs. Max Brass debates, but imagine how hilarious it would be if the character was actually the third option that no one is talking about.

I think Springtron is one of the few characters where people would be legitimately upset.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm still gunning for the full gang to make it in as alts of Spring Man.

Edit: Crashboards likes pictures as much as usual today. It was the version 3.2 art with Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Ninjara in casual clothes.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Honestly, no offense to Spring Man or those who want him, but I don’t want him in simply for the fact that if we get him, there will be an absolutely endless vocal calamity about how Waluigi is going to be the next character reveal everytime there is one on the horizon.

Having to see that for the next two years will be a level of irritating I don’t want to experience even an iota of.

Let Assist Trophies be Assist Trophies until next installments. Please.

Also, again, Ribbon Girl was revealed alongside Spring Man when ARMS was revealed. She is also the face of the franchise. She and Spring Man share that title, and people continue to not acknowledge that which just baffles me.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Honestly, no offense to Spring Man or those who want him, but I don’t want him in simply for the fact that if we get him, there will be an absolutely endless vocal calamity about how Waluigi is going to be the next character reveal everytime there is one on the horizon.
Let's face it, even if it isn't Spring Man, that is what will likely happen anyways with the more vocal fanbases like from Waluigi's. I don't think that is something that can be stopped.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

He's right you know. I still feel strongly that Min Min is becoming the Scorpion of Arms.
And Twintelle is the Sub-Zero.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So someone analyzed the background of the announcement tweet and if it's a legit hint then this means the ARMS character is either Spring Man, Max Brass, or Springtron.
In b4 its Springtron.

"We we not able to make Spring Man be playable for the game in time, so here's the closest thing to the mascot instead. Introducing Springtron".

Definitely an Sakurai thing he'd do.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
So I'm pretty sure this weekend will consist of a lot of Spring Man vs. Max Brass debates, but imagine how hilarious it would be if the character was actually the third option that no one is talking about.

I think Springtron is one of the few characters where people would be legitimately upset.
I predicted that it would be one of the Spring bois because of the assist trophy thing so I wouldn't be that upset.

SKX31

Smash Master
As for why I wouldn’t be surprised at a more first-party focused pass, consider this reasoning.

Joker was the first character in the first pass and a lot of people came to the conclusion that pass would be third-party focused due to him setting the precedence and they were right. If there were loads of “hype” third-party Inclusions in this pass, why wouldn’t they reveal one of them as the first character especially since the roster for this pass was finalised long before the global pandemic, meaning any licensing would have been sorted out (and since no character has been confirmed to be delayed at the moment, things must be going smoothly).

The decision to go with ARMS as the first character was very deliberate and, due to lack of evidence to the contrary, was always meant to be first (remember that the order of character reveal is very important in organising the roster for this game). So it’s a reasonable conclusion that if ARMS is one of the big highlights of this pass, this character would also likely set the tone for this pass being very different from the last one.

And on a slightly different topic, to the people who honestly believe Nintendo couldn’t do a hype-bringing pass with a focus on first-party, you’d be completely wrong. Waluigi, Isaac, Skull Kid, Rex and Bandana Dee are all first-party characters that would hype a lot of people. The biggest issue pertains to cynical looks on these charscters chances or people with an obvious bias towards third-party characters not being able to wrap their heads around the concept that just because a character like Skull Kid isn’t as big of a deal as Ryu or Cloud, it doesn’t mean that the vast majority of fans wouldn’t be pumped up for him based off his own merits.

I really doubt Bayonetta sold better than Roy or Lucas. Corrin I can see selling worse.
I could see Bayo having sold better than Roy and Lucas, especially since she was the OP character of Smash 4 after she released. I've talked about how competitive players and image can certainly affect casual players - MKLeo's successes with Joker helped Joker stay in the limelight amongst casual players. And Bayo had some silly kill-confirms in Smash 4 that casuals could execute. Witch Time was particularily notorious for being a solid 3-4 secs counter window (and having the Bat Within dodge if it was slightly mis-timed, which only helped online).

Also, I don't think one could base FP2's contents going just by ARMS. There is no Reggie comment to help establish "Oh yeah, this is going to be the norm for the Pass" but one could also argue that ARMS was included because it sold well initially but fell off hard after the first few months. Thus Nintendo choosing to try and reinvigorate the franchise. Also, Joker's teaser was released at around the game's release at a major event (TGA 2018) - ARMS was not only revealed at a mini-Direct; the initial reveal was also coupled with "Hey, ARMS 1 has a free-to-play period!".

Is it possible that we see more Nintendo characters this pass? Yes, not denying that. But just as Joker wasn't a completely guaranteed signal that we'd see a third party dominated FP1 (before Hero / B-K of course), I honestly don't see how ARMS signals a Nintendo-centric FP2. Not before we see more.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Having to see that for the next two years will be a level of irritating I don’t want to experience even an iota of.

Let Assist Trophies be Assist Trophies until next installments. Please.

Also, again, Ribbon Girl was revealed alongside Spring Man when ARMS was revealed. She is also the face of the franchise. She and Spring Man share that title, and people continue to not acknowledge that which just baffles me.
Spring Man seems to get more of a push. Ribbon Girl is certainly the secondary mascot, though.

As for Waluigi, I don’t see a problem. The fanbase’s toxicity is overblown anyway. Most Waluigi fans I’ve seen are perfectly fine, and Heaven forbid fans get hyped up hoping their character is next...

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

He's right you know. I still feel strongly that Min Min is becoming the Scorpion of Arms.
For starters, protagonist and mascot are not the same.

Second, all we have to go off of if the orginal ARMS game, and Spring Man is definitely the mascot. Could Min Min be mascot of the sequel? Perhaps, but it could also still be Spring Man. That's why I think it's best to focus on what's right in front of us instead of hypotheticals.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
We can't add Spring Man because AT and Min Min isn't the protagonist. A less popular character but still a character, Springton.

Last edited:

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
As for why I wouldn’t be surprised at a more first-party focused pass, consider this reasoning.

Joker was the first character in the first pass and a lot of people came to the conclusion that pass would be third-party focused due to him setting the precedence and they were right. If there were loads of “hype” third-party Inclusions in this pass, why wouldn’t they reveal one of them as the first character especially since the roster for this pass was finalised long before the global pandemic, meaning any licensing would have been sorted out (and since no character has been confirmed to be delayed at the moment, things must be going smoothly).

The decision to go with ARMS as the first character was very deliberate and, due to lack of evidence to the contrary, was always meant to be first (remember that the order of character reveal is very important in organising the roster for this game). So it’s a reasonable conclusion that if ARMS is one of the big highlights of this pass, this character would also likely set the tone for this pass being very different from the last one.

And on a slightly different topic, to the people who honestly believe Nintendo couldn’t do a hype-bringing pass with a focus on first-party, you’d be completely wrong. Waluigi, Isaac, Skull Kid, Rex and Bandana Dee are all first-party characters that would hype a lot of people. The biggest issue pertains to cynical looks on these charscters chances or people with an obvious bias towards third-party characters not being able to wrap their heads around the concept that just because a character like Skull Kid isn’t as big of a deal as Ryu or Cloud, it doesn’t mean that the vast majority of fans wouldn’t be pumped up for him based off his own merits.

I really doubt Bayonetta sold better than Roy or Lucas. Corrin I can see selling worse.
Speak for yourself. I couldn’t care less about any of the characters you just mentioned.

The 1st pass set a tone that literally anyone was on the table as long as they were from a video game. If what you’re saying is the case for the 2nd pass, then there is no reason for me to continue to care about speculation if it won’t reach FP1 levels of hype for me.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, I'm definitely convinced it's either Spring Man or Max Brass now.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
This doesn't relate to the colors of the background. It relates to the design of those weird swishy swooshy things in the background. Checking the background design of all the ARMS characters reveals that only three characters match the same design that is in the announcement.
I see. I thought every ARMs char has it and that only for three chars the shade (one is darker than the other) fits, if you understand where I come from.

Also another thing: Spring Man is an Assist Tropy and I think four other chars are Spirits, either Sub or Main. Saying this since the announcement but then the argument that spirits/ATs can't be fighters will vanish or it will strengthen. For hype purposes, it's better if this argument vanishes.

But it could also be Max Brass (according to the theory) which seems the likely way it goes. So I bet my money on him now.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Let's face it, even if it isn't Spring Man, that is what will likely happen anyways with the more vocal fanbases like from Waluigi's. I don't think that is something that can be stopped.
I know they can’t be stopped, but this would only add fuel to the fire that would then set off a chain reaction in the nuclear power plant that would then go critical and cause a nuclear winter in Smash Speculation because no matter what character anyone brings up after that...”Nope, it’s Waluigi. It’s his time. Spring Man got in, and Waluigi has been requested for years.”

That? For two whole years? I would rather not. And then God forbid Waluigi not make it in after that.

I'd be glad to, but only if you can come up with a better reason than "the fans will be annoying".
Honestly, I don’t have a convincing enough answer for you. It’s just the way it has been, and the formula has worked to inspire hype in regards to character reveals with next installments.

As a personal bias, I think it would be odd for a contingency standpoint in Smash to have a playable character also essential be an item summon. Seems pointless.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'm definitely convinced it's either Spring Man or Max Brass now.
I'd be cool with that even with Helix(my favorite) possibly dying off last night. Max Brass was my 2nd favorite and Springman is who I kinda always thought it might be

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
I see. I thought every ARMs char has it and that only for three chars the shade (one is darker than the other) fits, if you understand where I come from.

Also another thing: Spring Man is an Assist Tropy and I think four other chars are Spirits, either Sub or Main. Saying this since the announcement but then the argument that spirits/ATs can't be fighters will vanish or it will strengthen. For hype purposes, it's better if this argument vanishes.

But it could also be Max Brass (according to the theory) which seems the likely way it goes. So I bet my money on him now.
You’re right. My hype would finally go away for good if this happens. (And it really is looking that way at the moment)

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Y’know maybe this was why NateDrake said that saying the gender would be too obvious, because we pretty much narrowed down to Spring Man and Max Brass.

Not necessarily. Spring Man is more like Pikachu. He’s not the “protagonist” of his series, but rather the poster boy. There’s a difference

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Now that we're in the endgame I'm gonna share the Max Brass remixes that my friend Flyboy Flyboy made where he combined Max's theme with other champion themes. First with Tekken, second with The Rock, and the third with John Cena.

https://streamable.com/zso3rc
https://streamable.com/527nnz
https://streamable.com/zy60ff
Friendly reminder that since SNK had a recent crossover with WWE, and we have Terry and an ARMS character in Smash, all we'd need is a Tekken character to link all of these universes together by proxy. :roll:

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Spring Man seems to get more of a push. Ribbon Girl is certainly the secondary mascot, though.

As for Waluigi, I don’t see a problem. The fanbase’s toxicity is overblown anyway. Most Waluigi fans I’ve seen are perfectly fine, and Heaven forbid fans get hyped up hoping their character is next...
I just think people are discrediting Ribbon Girl far too easily.

I am going to have to disagree with the Waluigi fan base. Yes, there are Waluigi fans who are not toxic and annoying, HOWEVER, they are few and far between from what I’ve seen over the years, and are greatly overshadowed by the toxic and extremely vocal Waluigi fans.

Also, to discredit Ribbon Girl as a secondary mascot, but in the same breath advocate for Waluigi who originated essentially as a filler character in a spin-off sports game to be partners with a spin-off character, and has since never made a major appearance in any mainline Mario or Wario game, but only in Kart, Party, and Sports spin-offs is mind boggling to me. Daisy at least has made an appearance in a mainline Mario game, and was easily made an Echo Fighter of Peach due to their shared likeliness. Waluigi doesn’t even have that option available to him.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don’t have a convincing enough answer for you. It’s just the way it has been, and the formula has worked to inspire hype in regards to character reveals with next installments.

As a personal bias, I think it would be odd for a contingency standpoint in Smash to have a playable character also essential be an item summon. Seems pointless.
Ultimate made Chrom into a playable character (albeit as a clone of Roy, but playable regardless), and no effort was made to change Robin's Final Smash. I doubt the developers and/or Nintendo care if Spring Man being both a playable character and an Assist Trophy would be "odd".

And even if they did care, as has been pointed out... way more ****ing times than should be necessary, there's ways around the issue. Some Assist Trophies are disabled on certain stages, usually because the character already shows up in the stage, and then there's Alucard being pointlessly disabled on Wii Fit Studio because vampire lore. Why not implement similar conditions for Assist Trophies turned playable characters? I've yet to hear any counterpoint to this, yet people keep insisting that Assist Trophies are off the table as if that solution somehow just doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom