• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
From this point on, it's only a matter of hours until we find out who the fighter is and this guessing game finally draws to a close. Though if I may, it sucks that they keep insisting on only showing one character exclusively and not even having a sneak peek at the next one (who is definitely in a presentable state after they took their sweet time with this one), but at least we're getting some sort of update...

...and then they reveal that Fighter 7 comes from the Tetris franchise, and the whole thing starts all over again. :4pacman:

SKX31

Smash Master
Uhm... I have no other ridicolous comic image to express the fact that all of us are gonna rush and tune in to the presentation, but still:

ColonelSanders-367e8.jpg

(Okay, I'm posting this partly just because it's a ridicolous comic, but still.)

Ninty's making it clear as well, no other fighter reveals in this presentation.

They are learning.....kind of
That's at least better than then being silent on that matter.

So, what are y'all betting on? FP7 getting its first tease in July, August or September? Betting July myself.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
"Thank you for tuning in to our demonstration on Biff, the fighter from ARMS! We can't show you the next fighter just yet, but we can give you one piece of information!
Fighter 7 has two vowels in their name!
Please look forward to their release in December!"

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Ninty's making it clear as well, no other fighter reveals in this presentation.

They are learning.....kind of
That won't stop people from guessing who would be shown after the ARMs fighter and then complain on the Internet that no one else was shown despite Nintendo making it clear no one else besides the ARMs character is being shown.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that we won't see FP7 until late summer or September, with FP8 coming out in November/December, and the remaining 3 FP2 characters coming out in 2021.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
There will be no other character reveals btw

Egil.png

Let's put an end to this ****show once and for all. I honestly not bothered that FP7 won't be unveiled as well. As Thanos puts it, "A small price to pay for salvation."

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
That won't stop people from guessing who would be shown after the ARMs fighter and then complain on the Internet that no one else was shown despite Nintendo making it clear no one else besides the ARMs character is being shown.
Yeah but now at least it is 100% their fault for expecting something Nintendo outright said they won't give us. Ah who am I kidding with this fanbase?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I don't buy the whole "majority 1st-party pass" thing.

Mostly because it doesn't add up with Sakurai's comments about the difficulties of "working with different companies" during the development of the pass. I can't imagine there'd be that much inter-company work if the majority of the pass was 1st party characters.

Also, I REFUSE to believe that Smash 4 could possibly have a more hype DLC lineup than Ultimate. I'm not even a Street Fighter or Bayonetta fan, but Ryu and Bayo are both S-Tier, ungodly hype Smash inclusions. Same with Cloud.

It just doesn't make sense to me that Joker and Banjo would be the absolute pinnacle of Ultimate DLC inclusions, and that the entirety of 2020-2021 could be spent with Nintendo sadly piddling out characters like Captain Toad or Marth #9, rather than blockbusters like Crash, Sora, or Dante.

I know Nintendo is like, SUPREMELY stupid, VERY often (their entire handling of Ultimate's marketing rollout is a testament to this), but this would be a leap to full-blown spite in my eyes.
I have to agree. I imagine every third party character has outsold every first party character with the exception of Mewtwo in Smash 4.

Nintendo wants the DLC to sell & to keep promoting the game. Third parties would do that a lot better than what’s left of the first party characters.

There will be no other character reveals btw

0FA89D85-16EC-43A2-9EB6-D845D0EE0937.jpeg

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
One nice thing is that after Byleth went over like a lead balloon to a lot of fans (partially because it was the worst Fighter's Pass character to do a shadowdrop reveal of) is that things can only go up as far as any expectations on future presentations. Just for this one alone, we know its ARMS, we know its only just the one character, and there's likely some fun Mii Costumes to look forward to as well.

Last edited:

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
man, gotta be honestly, Im not sure why I care about smash anymore if none of the characters I want are gonna be in the game. Soras not going to be in, Laytons not going to be in, Ammys not gonna be in, Pheonix isnt gonna be in. Theres no use in me caring about the game anymore. Whats the point in believing is something that will 100% never happen
I mean, I bet if other people felt the same way and let up about Banjo, who many have been wanting since before Melee was announced, that never would have happened.
Those character are all fairly popular and have a shot even if it’s small. I would love Ammy or Pheonix. Layton would be cool, even though I don’t play those games in certainly baffled that there isn’t a spirit for him or SOMETHING. (Same with Pheonix)

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Yeah but now at least it is 100% their fault for expecting something Nintendo outright said they won't give us. Ah who am I kidding with this fanbase?
I remember when Nintendo made it clear that one time when only Terry and his content would be shown yet people still got upset no one else was shown despite what they said.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
They also learned from the Byleth debacle and stopped putting Sakurai in the picture so we can't figure out who it is from analyzing the color in the background behind him that didn't get properly cut out.

Sad, but also nice that the're patching IRL exploits haha

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I wouldn’t be surprised if we only get two third-party characters for this pass.

Because Nintendo wanted us to keep talking about ARMS, giving it more publicity. There was no real reason why they couldn’t have stated who the specific character was instead of just saying that it was an ARMS character.
I'm simply curious and not trying to be like, "ZOMG HOW COULD YOU", but what exactly makes you believe we're only getting 2 3rd parties?

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I expected CP6 alone anyway.

Nintendo has already shown it's having trouble getting announcements out this year. This applies to that too. I actually expect this on Thursday, not Monday, but that's fine with me.

I wish I didn't work Monday, though.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Just watch, the day we finally wake up to see an announcement Tweet for when the presentation will be, THIS will be under it

View attachment 275041
I told you! I told you all!

"Oh Nintendo is making us wait but it'll all be worth it because they're going to make up for it with ALL the reveals!!"

NEVER underestimate Nintendo's capacity to let us down. If this isn't proof enough that they have so little this year that spreading themselves thin is the only way to hide it I don't know what will.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean, they've never revealed a new fighter in the livestream that focuses on one in particular.

I'm not entirely sure why this would be a surprise to anyone.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I told you! I told you all!

"Oh Nintendo is making us wait but it'll all be worth it because they're going to make up for it with ALL the reveals!!"

NEVER underestimate Nintendo's capacity to let us down. If this isn't proof enough that they have so little this year that spreading themselves thin is the only way to hide it I don't know what will.
They've had plenty this year. Sure, not everything has been a huge AAA release, but there's plenty of content from both 3rd parties and Nintendo. Just depends on what you're looking for.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I mean, they've never revealed a new fighter in the livestream that focuses on one in particular.

They revealed Terry with Banjo, and the fact that it was E3 we all assumed that Nintendo had two reveals like last year and that they'd make up for making us wait half a year for only ONE character

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They revealed Terry with Banjo, and the fact that it was E3 we all assumed that Nintendo had two reveals like last year and that they'd make up for making us wait half a year for only ONE character
That was a full direct, not a Sakurai Presents like is the case here

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
No they didn't. Terry was revealed in the Nintendo Direct before the Banjo-Kazooie presentation. They only showed a sneak peek of Terry at the end of Banjo's presentation. Not the same thing.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So someone analyzed the background of the announcement tweet and if it's a legit hint then this means the ARMS character is either Spring Man, Max Brass, or Springtron.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Terry was revealed in a Direct, not the Banjo presentation.

Also, the pandemic extremely affect their marketing departments and is causing things to be messed up in content pipelines. Could they have handled it a little better? Sure, but given how impacted things have been over the past few months, it's hard to be too upset when they clearly got hit with this a bit worse than others.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I thought a second fighter was likely due to the presentation lining up when E3 would have been. While E3 was canceled, there was a chance that the FP7 trailer would be ready if they wanted to do a double reveal again. But it was always a likely possibility, it’s not a complete shock FP7 isn’t ready, particularly with potential delays.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So someone analyzed the background of the announcement tweet and if it's a legit hint then this means the ARMS character is either Spring Man, Max Brass, or Springtron.

There’s also Min Min (green with the two orange swirls)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom