• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
There was quite a debate when Robin and Lucina were unveiled and Chrom was kicked to the curb. It broke the Gematsu Leak streak and people were essentially take this leak as gospel due to it getting a lot of characters right. The controversy was mostly due to Lucina getting in for the same reasons Chrom was kicked out and because of the trailer and the supporters (mostly Lucina's from what I remember) making fun of Chrom for not getting, all this turned him into a laughing stock and the butt of many jokes.
The irony though when the game came out, got datamined, and suddenly there was placeholder data for a fighter emblem for Rhythm Heaven. Gematsu was real.......at one point in development. Just, it was apparently really early in development.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I don't have the screenshot for this but apparently he said that he can't say the gender because that would make it too obvious. Thinking that after all this time it's actually just Springman
If he won't say the character's gender, then I'm going all in on a Hero situation. Between Spring Man and Max Brass, there's still enough room for ambiguity in a male character. Ribbon Girl, Twintelle, Min Min, and Dr. Coyle shows there's no shortage of viable female characters. However, if he were to say "both"? That immediately gives the puzzle away because there's no ARMS character who could be described as both genders.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Let's put it another way:
Several people in this thread are interpreting an extremely innocuous statement as meaning the exact opposite of what the stated intention is (not wanting to hint at the character) and that by not telling us the gender he's actually telling us the gender, just in a very roundabout way because... who knows?

It's the epitome of insane speculation logic and overanalyzing.

Edit: What did he mean by this?

View attachment 275292
Bruh that is such a blatant giveaway, why are we not discussing it? This heavily suggests that FP7 is an ARMS character

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
It looks real excluding Crash himself, he has some serious blur compared to the rest.
I find it unlikely to be fake. Some reviewers around the world received this gift from Activision:
The mask is the same as the one on the right in the box art

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
man, gotta be honestly, Im not sure why I care about smash anymore if none of the characters I want are gonna be in the game. Soras not going to be in, Laytons not going to be in, Ammys not gonna be in, Pheonix isnt gonna be in. Theres no use in me caring about the game anymore. Whats the point in believing is something that will 100% never happen

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Just gonna comment on a point made yesterday that Sakurai mentioned the “companies” he has to work with for characters.

It’s true that he said he had to present to companies. That could be Game Freak or Intelligent Systems or Monolith Soft. However, there’s something else he said.

Sakurai said he had to present to, “Publishers”. Nintendo is a publisher, but Game Freak, Intelligent Systems, and Monolith Soft aren’t. 3rd party companies like Capcom, Square Enix, Namco, and other are also publishers.

Basically, if the context is “publishers”, that’s plural, and assumes we’re getting AT LEAST two 3rd parties, especially as the context of the passage made it seem as though it was publishers other than Nintendo.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
man, gotta be honestly, Im not sure why I care about smash anymore if none of the characters I want are gonna be in the game. Soras not going to be in, Laytons not going to be in, Ammys not gonna be in, Pheonix isnt gonna be in. Theres no use in me caring about the game anymore
I find it's best to keep an open mind about this sort of thing. Did I want Joker for Smash? Not really - I hadn't played Persona 5 when he was announced, so I had no idea who he was. However, his inclusion got me playing Persona 5, and I loved it enough to play Persona 4 and start Persona 3 as well.

It was a similar case for Shulk, or Snake, or Richter (if we got a second Konami character, I would have preferred Bomberman; I had a bad experience with the classic Castlevania games), and even with Byleth (where I actively didn't want the character, since I found any of the house leaders to be more interesting), I was still willing to give the character a shot in Smash. Use it as a chance to look into games that you might not be familiar with.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I find it's best to keep an open mind about this sort of thing. Did I want Joker for Smash? Not really - I hadn't played Persona 5 when he was announced, so I had no idea who he was. However, his inclusion got me playing Persona 5, and I loved it enough to play Persona 4 and start Persona 3 as well.

It was a similar case for Shulk, or Snake, or Richter (if we got a second Konami character, I would have preferred Bomberman; I had a bad experience with the classic Castlevania games), and even with Byleth (where I actively didn't want the character, since I found any of the house leaders to be more interesting), I was still willing to give the character a shot in Smash. Use it as a chance to look into games that you might not be familiar with.
yeah, sure, I like most of pack 1 minus banjo but the rest of my wants are bound to never happen anyway

Last edited:
man, gotta be honestly, Im not sure why I care about smash anymore if none of the characters I want are gonna be in the game. Soras not going to be in, Laytons not going to be in, Ammys not gonna be in, Pheonix isnt gonna be in. Theres no use in me caring about the game anymore. Whats the point in believing is something that will 100% never happen
You don’t enjoy any of the other 80 characters in the game?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
yeah, sure, I like most of pack 1 minus banjo but the rest of my wants are bound to never happen anyway
You never know - Banjo had more barriers than at least three of those four characters (the only one that I question is Sora), seeing as he's owned by a company that currently makes consoles, and he still made it in. I don't know enough about Layton or Level 5 to comment, but Phoenix Wright's been a consistently popular choice as far as Capcom characters go, and much like Persona 5 or Bayonetta 2, Okami's a game that's consistently been met with high praise. (and it's much easier to get ahold of now than it's ever been)

Between that and how willing Capcom seems to be when it comes to including their content in Smash, Phoenix and Ammy seem like they could stand a chance. (like I said, I know nothing about Layton, so I can't really comment - I'm 99% sure that Sora's owned by Disney, but I have no idea how much say Square-Enix has when it comes to including him in crossovers)

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Just gonna comment on a point made yesterday that Sakurai mentioned the “companies” he has to work with for characters.

It’s true that he said he had to present to companies. That could be Game Freak or Intelligent Systems or Monolith Soft. However, there’s something else he said.

Sakurai said he had to present to, “Publishers”. Nintendo is a publisher, but Game Freak, Intelligent Systems, and Monolith Soft aren’t. 3rd party companies like Capcom, Square Enix, Namco, and other are also publishers.

Basically, if the context is “publishers”, that’s plural, and assumes we’re getting AT LEAST two 3rd parties, especially as the context of the passage made it seem as though it was publishers other than Nintendo.
This does logically follow through in a vacuum, keep in mind that Japanese plurals are entirely context sensitive. There's no general grammatical rule to indicate when you're talking about a plural (like adding an s at the end of most nouns). Instead, you just keep the noun as is and expect people to clue in based on the overall context of the conversation.

As such, this could just be PushDustin (or whoever translated that Sakurai column) incorrectly inferring a plural when it's only a singular publisher. Then again, I haven't read that specific column in awhile, so there could be a strong case to be made that Sakurai's referring to multiple devs through other context clues.

That being said, I definitely agree we're getting at least two new third parties. After leaning so heavily into guest fighters in the last pass, it would be strange to completely abandon any third parties for FP2. I think we're most likely to get an even split with 3 new third parties and 3 new first parties, with one of those first parties being the ARMS character and one being a Corrin/Byleth-esq promotional character/

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
While I personally think Spring Man is the most boring choice compared to the rest of the cast, I'm still excited. Not hyped like I would be for Min Min, Twintelle or Lola Pop, but still excited.

...Why did they tease us with this, though. Like, if it was always gonna be the guy on the front of the box, why make a big deal outta this and make it seem like you were gonna buck a trend, lol. This character's reveal is kinda dumb.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

I wouldn’t be surprised if we only get two third-party characters for this pass.

While I personally think Spring Man is the most boring choice compared to the rest of the cast, I'm still excited. Not hyped like I would be for Min Min, Twintelle or Lola Pop, but still excited.

...Why did they tease us with this, though. Like, if it was always gonna be the guy on the front of the box, why make a big deal outta this and make it seem like you were gonna buck a trend, lol. This character's reveal is kinda dumb.
Because Nintendo wanted us to keep talking about ARMS, giving it more publicity. There was no real reason why they couldn’t have stated who the specific character was instead of just saying that it was an ARMS character.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
There will be no other character reveals btw

Staarih

Smash Master
Nice to have this scale of transparency even, so we can focus on only the ARMS character:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That's great to hear, it will only be the ARMS fighter though, for those who are wondering.
:ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
About time.
>"There will be no further new fighter reveals other than a fighter from ARMS in this livestream."

The waiting never ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom