• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
I disagree on the spin comment as I feel Crash's would be more like Mach Tornado
That's what I meant when I said "Incineroar's Neutral B but faster". I imagine the arm flailing animation to be virtually the same but the startup and duration to be shorter. Either way, I just don't see him being that fun to play. I think people like the IDEA of him, but in practice, unless Sakurai gives him some broke frame data, I don't see him getting lots of play if he gets in.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's what I meant when I said "Incineroar's Neutral B but faster". I imagine the arm flailing animation to be virtually the same but the startup and duration to be shorter. Either way, I just don't see him being that fun to play. I think people like the IDEA of him, but in practice, unless Sakurai gives him some broke frame data, I don't see him getting lots of play if he gets in.
Eh, people still play loads of mediocre or outright bad characters. The character people acted like was the only one who matters in the first pass? No sauce at all and very ok moves at best beyond Wonderwing

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Hey All, I've heard people in the past say that Crash Bandicoot seems likely to get in sometime later in FP#2. Supposing he does, am I the only one that kind of sees him as a bland pick for Smash? Don't get me wrong, I know he's got notoriety as both an old school character and franchise, but aside from his trademark spin attack, I can't imagine his moveset being very interesting (not to mention his spin attack would literally be a carbon copy of Incineroar's Neutral B, except maybe a little faster). I feel we already have a lot of standard brawler type characters and there's only so much you can do with punches and kicks, especially when said character isn't even known for being a martial artist or anything. What are your thoughts?
Crash is anything but bland to me. Was in the middle of playing the second one and reflected on how fun all of this stuff would be if incorporated into Smash. Even little things like the slide he does made me think it would fit perfectly, even as someone who had reservations before replaying the game for a character I’ve always thought should have been in already.

Spin attack, belly flop, slide, jet pack—there’s so many things they can take from the games that would make a fun character.

But I’ve wanted Banjo & Kazooie forever, their moves are exactly how I pictured and fit me unlike any other character, and the consensus among a lot is they’re bland. It’s unavoidable. People have different tastes. Some people would love adding 5 more sword characters who, to me, play exactly the same. I like mascot characters with whacky movesets. So long as FP2 has as much variety as FP1 had, regardless of whoever gets in, almost everyone will have something for them.

EDIT: Unintentionally apt pair of posts.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Crash is anything but bland to me. Was in the middle of playing the second one and reflected on how fun all of this stuff would be if incorporated into Smash. Even little things like the slide he does made me think it would fit perfectly, even as someone who had reservations before replaying the game for a character I’ve always thought should have been in already.

Spin attack, belly flop, slide, jet pack—there’s so many things they can take from the games that would make a fun character.

But I’ve wanted Banjo & Kazooie forever, their moves are exactly how I pictured and fit me unlike any other character, and the consensus among a lot is they’re bland. It’s unavoidable. People have different tastes. Some people would love adding 5 more sword characters who, to me, play exactly the same. I like mascot characters with whacky movesets. So long as FP2 has as much variety as FP1 had, regardless of whoever gets in, almost everyone will have something for them.

EDIT: Unintentionally apt pair of posts.
These are some good points. I suppose that my disinterest in Crash stems from my lack of knowledge when it comes to all of his moves from all of his games. Based on what you've said, it does look like he could be interesting but I suppose that means that Sakurai would have to sell me based on the moveset. Fortunately, he hasn't really disappointed with DLC so far.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What I imagine Crash's specials would be.

Neutral B: Cyclone Spin - His signature spin attack. Basically Incineroar's but faster.
Side B: Wumpa Fruit Bazooka - Pulls out his signature Fruit Bazooka and can target any opponent as far as 10 feet shooting three fruits at an time.
Up B: Spring Crate - An crate appears below him springing him higher into the air.
Down B: Crates a Plenty - Pulls out an crate out of nowhere and tosses it forward. Depending on the crate leads to more damage. Normal crate doing the least, TNT doing between and Nitro causing the most.
Final Smash: The Invincible Aku Aku - Crash puts out the mask and becomes invincible running around the stage dealing massive amounts of damage to opponents in his way.

Some would argue his belly flop being his Down B but I would see that being more of his Down A especially if you want to be creative with specials.

Last edited:

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
As for Crash I bet they could make his move set fun.

Personally, for his spin neutral B, I would want it to be a multi-hit attack with the final hit launching opponents in a completely random direction. Could launch them at literally any angle. I feel like that would match Crash’s wackiness.

The mask could be down B and it auto-absorbs one hit taking all damage and knock back, takes a super long time to recharge or can only be usable once per stock or something to balance it.

he can shoot the fruit with that cannon thing for side b. The fruits could bounce off of the floor/walls/enemies a couple times before they disappear or something

he could use a nitro box explosion below him as a recovery move that sends him a really far distance but also hurts him, puts him into free fall, and does a ton of damage to anyone around.

make him feel like a very chaotic and unpredictable cartoon character with weird launch angles, bouncy projectile, explosion, new mask mechanic.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Hey All, I've heard people in the past say that Crash Bandicoot seems likely to get in sometime later in FP#2. Supposing he does, am I the only one that kind of sees him as a bland pick for Smash? Don't get me wrong, I know he's got notoriety as both an old school character and franchise, but aside from his trademark spin attack, I can't imagine his moveset being very interesting (not to mention his spin attack would literally be a carbon copy of Incineroar's Neutral B, except maybe a little faster). I feel we already have a lot of standard brawler type characters and there's only so much you can do with punches and kicks, especially when said character isn't even known for being a martial artist or anything. What are your thoughts?
I imagine Crash would be a more simple character to play as kind of like Banjo & Kazooie but that doesn't mean he would be bland.

Instead of making his spin attack a special move, it should be part of his neutral attacks like for example, you press the A button to spin and then you can walk while spinning kind of like Megaman. A lot of people don't like this idea but I think it works perfectly due to how much Crash relies on spinning and it would be faithful to the original games.

I'm rambling on at this point so here's a Crash Bandicoot specials moveset I made a while ago.
Crash Bandicoot moveset.png

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
While I'm more of a Spyro guy myself, Crash would be really fun. I can imagine he'd be similar to Banjo in that he'd probably be considered pretty "boring" by crowds that want wacky, unique movesets, but hey, sometimes simplicity is best.

Plus, the irony of Nintendo's mascot fighter having more iconic Sony mascots than Sony's old mascot fighter is not lost on me, so that would also help, lol.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
not to mention his spin attack would literally be a carbon copy of Incineroar's Neutral B, except maybe a little faster
I disagree on the spin comment as I feel Crash's would be more like Mach Tornado...
It's...not similar to either of those attacks. It's very quick in both speed and duration, and it wouldn't have any super armor either.

Granted it would feel pretty underwhelming as a Special Move, but the spin attack itself was never really interesting to begin with, but rather, how it interacts with things. It's a quick attack that knocks enemies away, but it also flings away Wumpa Fruit if you're careless with it. I can imagine this being taken even further and having it smack away items (sort of as an inverse of Gravitational Pull). There's probably a bunch of other interactions the move could have, and if Crash gets in I'd expect to see it be incredibly versatile, directly interacting with the rest of his kit sort of like Link's Bombs.

And of course there's some other things you could do with the rest of the moveset, but I don't really know much about that. I haven't really even finished the first game.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In my eyes, Crash would be similar to K. Rool or Banjo in the sense that he'd be a fun character with a ton of references to his games, but not anything crazy unique like people say he'd be. More of a basic character without a gimmick if you will.

As to whether or not he'd get in, I don't know. I'm sure he's on Nintendo's radar, but I also feel like the support hasn't been as vocal as Banjo, which is what ultimately got the latter in the game.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Instead of making his spin attack a special move, it should be part of his neutral attacks like for example, you press the A button to spin and then you can walk while spinning kind of like Megaman.
I think it's a great idea actually. It would make the spin centerpiece of the moveset, and I personally think that's how it should be from my experience with the game, and when other people talk about the character.

Last edited:

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
Clearly Crash has a ton of moveset potential considering there have been multiple unique gameplay ideas suggested by this thread alone in mere minutes lol

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
One thing I wonder about the Palutena Guidance for Crash if he makes the cut is if Viridi will have the same reaction towards Crash as she did with Mewtwo, that being her showing hatred and acid in her voice towards Dr. Neo Cortex for his experiments on animals, being the Nature Goddess herself, its only fitting.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
One thing I wonder about the Palutena Guidance for Crash if he makes the cut is if Viridi will have the same reaction towards Crash as she did with Mewtwo, that being her showing hatred and acid in her voice towards Dr. Neo Cortex for his experiments on animals, being the Nature Goddess herself, its only fitting.
Unfortunately we already know what his Palutena's Guidance would be.

Pit: "Who is THAT?"
Palutena: "I have no data on this fighter. I can't believe it!"
Viridi: "It must be an intruder from another dimension!"
Pit: "Whoever it is, the goal remains the same: to fight and win!"

Sigh.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
What I imagine Crash's specials would be.

Neutral B: Cyclone Spin - His signature spin attack. Basically Incineroar's but faster.
Side B: Wumpa Fruit Bazooka - Pulls out his signature Fruit Bazooka and can target any opponent as far as 10 feet shooting three fruits at an time.
Up B: Spring Crate - An crate appears below him springing him higher into the air.
Down B: Crates a Plenty - Pulls out an crate out of nowhere and tosses it forward. Depending on the crate leads to more damage. Normal crate doing the least, TNT doing between and Nitro causing the most.
Final Smash: The Invincible Aku Aku - Crash puts out the mask and becomes invincible running around the stage dealing massive amounts of damage to opponents in his way.

Some would argue his belly flop being his Down B but I would see that being more of his Down A especially if you want to be creative with specials.
I felt like recently specials have been far more unique to the character than they had been. Even Sakurai mentioned with basic attacks, in the case of Banjo & Kazooie, they derived them from their original games. So I agree that Crash’s specials would be his more whackier and creative moves, while his basic attacks would be simple ones like his belly flop.

My thought is whatever his moves are it would be based partially on what character he is based of us. B&K were based on Ridley, presumably due to their heft and flight, and carries over certain aspects such as their rat-tat rap being changed to a back air. I could see Crash being based on King K Rool or Incineroar, except I’d think he’d be a much lighter character. Curious if there are lighter characters that share aspects with Crash.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
For speculation and fun though how would you guys think Palutena's Guidance would go for Crash?

As mentioned I imagine Viridi harboring deep hatred towards Doctor Neo Cortex for the reason already stated.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's...not similar to either of those attacks. It's very quick in both speed and duration, and it wouldn't have any super armor either.

Granted it would feel pretty underwhelming as a Special Move, but the spin attack itself was never really interesting to begin with, but rather, how it interacts with things. It's a quick attack that knocks enemies away, but it also flings away Wumpa Fruit if you're careless with it. I can imagine this being taken even further and having it smack away items (sort of as an inverse of Gravitational Pull). There's probably a bunch of other interactions the move could have, and if Crash gets in I'd expect to see it be incredibly versatile, directly interacting with the rest of his kit sort of like Link's Bombs.

And of course there's some other things you could do with the rest of the moveset, but I don't really know much about that. I haven't really even finished the first game.
No, that fits Mach Tornado, Ultimate made it a single hit instead of a multihit and by merely tapping the button once, it ends sooner

D

Deleted member

Unfortunately we already know what his Palutena's Guidance would be.

Pit: "Who is THAT?"
Palutena: "I have no data on this fighter. I can't believe it!"
Viridi: "It must be an intruder from another dimension!"
Pit: "Whoever it is, the goal remains the same: to fight and win!"

Sigh.
How could they NOT know who Crash Bandicoot is?
They need to play more games.:4pacman:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Nobody has ever sourced this. At this point, I think it's just a rumor and nothing more.
Really? People smarter than me seemed fairly confident and it’s unintuitive enough to where it sounds plausible. I assumed there was method used to figure that stuff out. I’ll keep that in mind.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
On the subject of Crash, literally any character can be "Bland" if you don't look too deep into their moveset. Crash has a lot of stuff to use beyond spinning, surprisingly enough. Some of his abilities in Crash 3 and there's also Twinsanity and other games they can pull from to give him a unique moveset. Of course his moveset will likely be based off the original Naughty Dog games.

I personally wouldn't mind Crash anyways and I feel like with Banjo getting in, Crash could potentially be the next Western Animal Mascot to be in if we're lucky.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
After Banjo, I'd be fine with Crash or Spyro, but my personal pick for the next best animal-mascot-platformer rep would go to either Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, or Klonoa.
Sly's got a ton of acrobatic skills, sneaking techniques, and a ton of cane upgrades to draw from.
Klonoa's ring being used to grab and throw enemies to solve puzzles or perform double jumps could make for interesting new grab mechanics.
Ratchet and Clank especially feels like a fighter I want to see in Smash. They can easily be described as "Banjo-Kazooie +." The sheer amount of gadgets at Ratchet's disposal in combination with Clank's movement upgrades make for a very enticing potential moveset.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No, that fits Mach Tornado, Ultimate made it a single hit instead of a multihit and by merely tapping the button once, it ends sooner
Ah jeez, I forgot how much they ruined the attack. Still though, Crash's spin would be even faster than that (I believe Mach Tornado still takes about a second from start to end), and he wouldn't be able to achieve any sort of lift (unless there's some spin upgrade I'm unaware of).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Ah jeez, I forgot how much they ruined the attack. Still though, Crash's spin would be even faster than that (I believe Mach Tornado still takes about a second from start to end), and he wouldn't be able to achieve any sort of lift (unless there's some spin upgrade I'm unaware of).
You wouldn't get any lift, but in some games the Death Tornado Spin does slow your descent down, letting you float over gaps. Could be an interesting recovery extender.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Personally, I don't think he would be bland. He has enough things and references for his moveset. Maybe he alone wouldn't be super crazy in terms of moveset, but the games have a good amount of things Sakurai could use: the motorbike, the bazooka...
He would probably be a more straightforward character, just like Banjo, without a heavy gimmick as a part of his moveset.

In my eyes, Crash would be similar to K. Rool or Banjo in the sense that he'd be a fun character with a ton of references to his games, but not anything crazy unique like people say he'd be. More of a basic character without a gimmick if you will.

As to whether or not he'd get in, I don't know. I'm sure he's on Nintendo's radar, but I also feel like the support hasn't been as vocal as Banjo, which is what ultimately got the latter in the game.
To be honest, Crash doesn't really need a strong fan support to get in. Sure, that helps a lot, but Crash is considerably bigger than Banjo as a character and as a franchise. He doesn't really need a lot of support to overcome anything, which was Banjo's situation. Crash is really popular since the first Playstation and has made a strong comeback this last years, and he's a really recognizable character.

Nintendo isn't dumb and knows that Crash is a big character, if they want to put him in the game they're gonna do it no matter how many Smash fans are supporting his inclusion. Well, this could obviously apply to any character, but I believe that certain characters could not have any support at all from fans and still get picked for Smash thanks to their importance or their popularity.
Resident Evil would fit this in my opinion, to name another example. A Resi character isn't precisely the most popular choice among the community, but if one ended getting in most people would understand that a big franchise such as RE being in Smash makes sense for multiple reasons.

Of course, this is my perspective. I believe that strong fan support is what smaller characters or 'forgotten' franchises need in order to get in, but if a character doesn't really fit with these 2 groups, then I don't really believe fan demand would change much for 'popular' characters.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
View attachment 275163

people be saying "omg game freak is too lazy, they'll make pokemon out of keys" but this is some **** you see during sleep paralysis
It's supposed to vageuly represent a crown the way the main game legendaries represent a sword and shield.

If we're talking Pokemon reps, a trainer would be a breath of fresh air amongst the "Humanoid Popular Picks" we've been getting since Sm4sh.
Ugh, no. Trainer was one of the biggest mistakes this game ever made. Let's not repeat it.

Every Pokemon should be a separate character, and every Pokemon except Mewtwo should have its own trainer.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Crash would fullfill my old school Playstation nostalgic picks for Smash. Both him and Cloud were amoung my very first pipedream picks for Smash. And I already got Cloud!

He absolutely has enough to work with for a fun moveset, plus arguably the best taunts in the game should he get in.

zferolie

Smash Hero
My go to for a Next trainer would be Cynthia, but the idea of having Bea as a trainer who can actually fight for herself and have assistance is an interesting one. I wouldn't mind having her join the roster if that's the case.
Ive been wanted Cynthia to be our first pokemon champion in the game for a long time. I think they could have her play quite different from the other pokemon characters and trainer. In that she is on the stage herself and all 6 of her pokemon assist her.

Almost all of her attack you involve her using her pokemon next to her. Dash attck is riding Garchomp usong dragon rush, down air is calling out spiritomb and falling dast while holding onto it, up b would be riding togekiss as it uses fly or sky attack. Things like that. The only attack she would use herself is her jab maybe.

Also, a unique idea for most of her moves is she can cancle the animation of her riding or being next to the pokemon, to do another attack while the pokemon still finishes its attack. She would lose access to any attack that pokemon is part of if its still out, so no double dragon rush dashes, ut it would be a very interesting style of fighting

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If we're talking Pokemon reps, a trainer would be a breath of fresh air amongst the "Humanoid Popular Picks" we've been getting since Sm4sh.

Personally, i'm a huge Bea supporter but i'm not sure Sakurai would really go for a Gym Leader when you have so many characters to choose from.

Maybe one of the rivals ? Like Marnie or Bede ? Or perhaps a new Protag character, with another starter trio. I'd rather have this than Urshifu or Toxicitry, but i might be biased since i really don't like their designs to begin with.
I definitely agree we need to get away from humanoid Pokemon doing humanoid things as Smash characters. Not to knock the Pokemon who fall into those archetypes, but it is slightly annoying that a series full of hundreds upon hundreds of monsters with unique powers has been relegated to standard marital artist, slightly less but still pretty standard ninja, and standard professional wrestler for its last three characters. I want something only Pokemon could do as far as playable characters go.

I'm not entirely sure about another Trainer as far as DLC goes. Unless it's a character that has been shown to directly interact with Pokemon through gameplay like a Pokemon Ranger, it seems odd to add a human seeing how it goes so heavily against what happens in Pokemon itself. Trainers are the brain, not the brawn, so it would weird to have them so directly in the action. I'm also iffy on getting a trainer styled like the current one as DLC, simply because it's technically 3 characters instead of the 1 that's advertised to come with a Fighter's Pass. It seems like a better idea for a set of characters in the next Smash game.

Goombaic

Smash Ace

Personally, i'm a huge Bea supporter but i'm not sure Sakurai would really go for a Gym Leader when you have so many characters to choose from.

Maybe one of the rivals ? Like Marnie or Bede ? Or perhaps a new Protag character, with another starter trio. I'd rather have this than Urshifu or Toxicitry, but i might be biased since i really don't like their designs to begin with.
I'm not against this idea. I think a Hoenn Trainer with Mudkip/Grovyle/Blaziken, Cynthia with Garchomp, and Marnie with Morpeko/Grimmsnarl/Toxicroak or Obstagoon would be cool to see. I just prefer Toxtricity much more and there really aren't that many other trainer options that I'd enjoy.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The only thing I believe makes it harder for another trainer is the fact that specific trainers are often linked with specific Pokémon (Cynthia with Garchomp, Steven with Metagross, etc), meaning that if you were to use only each character's signature Pokémon, it would basically be no different from just putting in a Pokémon without a Trainer. Which is exactly why PT is so unique, as he gets all three starters, the ones player characters are usually associated with in Pokémon games.

I will say that some trainer Spirits would be really welcome, at least.

Ugh, no. Trainer was one of the biggest mistakes this game ever made. Let's not repeat it.
One man's trash is another man's treasure, I suppose. I like transforming/switching characters and what they bring to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom