• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
If we're talking Pokemon reps, a trainer would be a breath of fresh air amongst the "Humanoid Popular Picks" we've been getting since Sm4sh.

Personally, i'm a huge Bea supporter but i'm not sure Sakurai would really go for a Gym Leader when you have so many characters to choose from.

Maybe one of the rivals ? Like Marnie or Bede ? Or perhaps a new Protag character, with another starter trio. I'd rather have this than Urshifu or Toxicitry, but i might be biased since i really don't like their designs to begin with.

Staarih

Smash Master
If we're talking Pokemon reps, a trainer would be a breath of fresh air amongst the "Humanoid Popular Picks" we've been getting since Sm4sh.
Back in the day I thought N would make an interesting but kinda unconventional human rep for Pokémon (with his ”raised by Pokémon and would battle even without them”-shtick), maybe with Zoroark and its illusions corporated in the moveset somehow. But that ship has since sailed.

Another trainer would definitely breathe some fresh air, definitely. Though now just a non-starter would do it for me.

oh, and Calyrex is definitely weird, but that’s what makes it intriguing to me as well. I wonder if there’s still more to it (like another form or something).

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
iunno guys i wouldn't mind akira function tbh.
as long as it's fun, which sakurai and co. has a pretty alright track record w/ making the dlc chars enjoyable so far.

granted, cinderace would be neat too

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
i dunno about urshifu

he's just so uninteresting to me

i don't think i have met a single person who wants him because of legitimately liking him instead of just expecting him and wanting to be right

besides

why have the impostor when you can have the real deal

giphy (1).gif

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
whatever eldritch monstrosity that pokemon is, i hope it stays far away from this game.
"We're pleased to announce that Cylarex will now be floating around every single stage in the game. It'll go from foreground to background to be extra conspicuous. We may not be able to make it a fighter, but we want to make sure it has a great time anyway."

why have the impostor when you can have the real deal

And now you've sold me on Urshifu on being an awful idea. I mean, I was sure before, but still. If you can point to another character and reasonably go "that's the same thing, but I want it more" than you're going to want a Pokémon that's more unique.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Speaking of Urshifu. Given Heihachi's pet bear Kuma.

An potential double reveal trailer would mash in perfectly for those two if they were among the final five DLC fighters.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Normally I’d be all for non-humanoid characters, but I feel differently with Pokémon as I’m far more interested in either completely new series, or at the very least series that has low representation getting something. Which is why if we get one more Nintendo rep (if we get more than two I feel both are likely) I’d hope for Rex. I’m hoping the DLC plan is to include unique characters from series that didn’t get a unique one in the base game, as FP1 and FP2 feel like additions that didn’t make the base. Fire Emblem makes sense in that regard, because they only got an echo in the base. That’s certainly not a rule, and I could see both Pokémon and Xenoblade getting something this pass, but it’s what I’m hoping for. On the other hand, despite my wants, I think it’s likely Pokémon would get in, as Nintendo would probably not want to pass up 1) advertising the DLC more, 2) a Pokémon stage for Ultimate and music from Sword and Shield, both of which are lacking in Ultimate.

toonito

Smash Ace
hmmm i've got it!

since we have 2 fire, 2 water, 2 electric, and 2 dark

that narrows down the alleged gen 8 pokemon rep to

another normal, fairy, grass, poison, fighting, steel, psychic, or flying type

open and shut case, johnson!
more of my baseless speculation dont take it seriously

:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:

out of 10 pokemon in Ultimate

6 starters (:ultpikachu::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:)
1 baby (:ultpichu:)
1 legendary (:ultmewtwo:)
2 none of the above (:ultjigglypuff::ultlucario:)
5 not fully evolved (:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur:)

6 are from Gen I (:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:)
1 is from Gen II (:ultpichu:)
1 is from Gen IV (:ultlucario:)
1 is from Gen VI (:ultgreninja:)
1 is from Gen VII (:ultincineroar:)

based on previous choices a potential new pokemon rep has
60% chance of being a starter (likely higher since the last 3 smash games have added a starter)
10% chance of being a baby or legendary (hasn't happened since melee)
20% chance of being a regular pokemon (hasn't happened since brawl)
50% chance of not being fully evolved (also hasn't happened since brawl)

60% chance of being Gen I (likely lower)
10% chance of being Gen II-VII
30% chance of being Gen VIII (likely higher)

flawed math ftw

Personally, i'm a huge Bea supporter but i'm not sure Sakurai would really go for a Gym Leader when you have so many characters to choose from.

Maybe one of the rivals ? Like Marnie or Bede ? Or perhaps a new Protag character, with another starter trio. I'd rather have this than Urshifu or Toxicitry, but i might be biased since i really don't like their designs to begin with.
I also support Bea for Fighter Pass 2

A. you get the seemingly likely current gen rep
B. to differentiate her from :ultpokemontrainerf: she can fight other characters as well

i posted some ideas for her specials here

i'm increasingly liking the idea of a trainer who fights since we already have pokemon that fight and a trainer who uses a team of pokemon to fight

Bea whose normals, tilts, and smash attacks could be her fighting while her specials could be her pokemon and her final Smash is either gigantimax Machamp or a duo attack with Machamp

Hawlucha could be her Up Special (Bounce, operates similar to Cloud's Up Special)
Falinks could be her Down Special (Megahorn)
Hitmontop could be her Side Special (Triple Kick, operates similar to Ken's Side Special)
Sirfetch'd could be her Neutral Special (Leaf Blade)
Grapploct could act as her grabs (said to have high gripping strength, operate similar to Peach and Toad)

If Pokemon was to get another rep I'd like it to be Bea
Bea reps Gen VIII, while Hawlucha reps Gen Vi and Hitmontop reps Gen II

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Pops in here to see if any news happened, but people are going pokemon crazy.

You guys need to stop assuming everything is tied to smash. A pokemon announcement next weeks means nothing tied to smash. It doesnt mean the next fighter is a pokemon. We smash fans need to stop thinking everytime nintendo does something its tied to smash. Its embarrassing

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
On the other hand, despite my wants, I think it’s likely Pokémon would get in, as Nintendo would probably not want to pass up 1) advertising the DLC more, 2) a Pokémon stage for Ultimate and music from Sword and Shield, both of which are lacking in Ultimate.
*adds a new Pokémon stage*
*adds a new character to go with it so Incineroar still doesn't have its own stage*

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I know this is probably a hot take, but I don't mind Pokémon or Fire Emblem characters or swordfighters or whatever getting in. After all, as long as they're fun, even if you're not happy, someone will be, and I personally like the idea of that. I... wasn't too excited for Hero and Terry, but I knew there were a load of people who loved Dragon Quest and Fatal Fury, and both characters were pretty fun! Even Byleth was fun to play, and no matter what the Smash community says, some people really wanted Byleth in - and I'm happy for them.

Speculation is incredibly fun, I'll admit, but no matter who gets in, I'm just happy that we can all talk about something we're passionate about, and that even if I'm not too pleased, some of you are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
(sorry, pressed send by accident) Speculation is incredibly fun, I'll admit, but no matter who gets in, I'm just happy that we can all talk about something we're passionate about, and that even if I'm not too pleased, some of you are.
This is the take everyone should have, ideally.

Some characters end up getting in and the "Omg, who even wanted this character?!" reactions follow, but trust...there's at least one person you don't even know absolutely thrilled about their inclusion.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

My go to for a Next trainer would be Cynthia, but the idea of having Bea as a trainer who can actually fight for herself and have assistance is an interesting one. I wouldn't mind having her join the roster if that's the case.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Some characters end up getting in and the "Omg, who even wanted this character?!" reactions follow, but trust...there's at least one person you don't even know absolutely thrilled about their inclusion.
At the same time, it's hard to fake excitement, I for example, wouldn't feel happy for a character who's fans have idk, stalked me or falsly accused me of sending death threats to their cult leaders

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Pops in here to see if any news happened, but people are going pokemon crazy.

You guys need to stop assuming everything is tied to smash. A pokemon announcement next weeks means nothing tied to smash. It doesnt mean the next fighter is a pokemon. We smash fans need to stop thinking everytime nintendo does something its tied to smash. Its embarrassing
Exactly. We need to think in the opposite direction. This clearly means a Digimon rep is coming!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
>gets notification about NOA on my twitter mobile app after nothing all day so far

!!!!!

>it’s clubhouse games for the 6483848497492018379403th time

Ah ****, here we go again.

I think I may just log off until next week...

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
>gets notification about NOA on my twitter mobile app after nothing all day so far

!!!!!

I re entered the cesspool that is twitter just for the NOA moblie notifs too. So far it hasnt paid off

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I know this is probably a hot take, but I don't mind Pokémon or Fire Emblem characters or swordfighters or whatever getting in. After all, as long as they're fun, even if you're not happy, someone will be, and I personally like the idea of that. I... wasn't too excited for Hero and Terry, but I knew there were a load of people who loved Dragon Quest and Fatal Fury, and both characters were pretty fun! Even Byleth was fun to play, and no matter what the Smash community says, some people really wanted Byleth in - and I'm happy for them.

I mean, on matter of principle yes. And I try to do this also. But one can only go through so many cycles with characters they don’t care for, and repeat “I’m happy for Character XYZ’s fans, even though I don’t care for Character XYZ. Maybe next time I’ll get someone I like.” and be let down again so many times before eventually they just give up and stop caring at all for any newcomers.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think it’s entirely possible that Nintendo could announce the ARMS pick next week because at least, at that point, it’s not competing with another DLC package. Rather, the Pokémon Direct next week would be covering a long term item that won’t be out right away. Smash DLC would probably drop right after being formally revealed.

At least, that’s the only thing I can come up with that explains why it wasn’t this week. Granted, I also think that if they’re sitting on information they should have been more transparent and at least said, “Due to circumstances beyond our control, new content reveals will be more spread out than usual. Please stay tuned on these days to find out what is to come!” Or something like that, I don’t know.

Either way, we only have like 2 weeks left of this ****, so it’s only a matter of time.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
At the same time, it's hard to fake excitement, I for example, wouldn't feel happy for a character who's fans have idk, stalked me or falsly accused me of sending death threats to their cult leaders
Damn, stalking and death threats over characters in a video game...that's...wild. But I'm not gonna act like that it doesn't happen since there are extremists out there.

I mean, on matter of principle yes. And I try to do this also. But one can only go through so many cycles with characters they don’t care for, and repeat “I’m happy for Character XYZ’s fans, even though I don’t care for Character XYZ. Maybe next time I’ll get someone I like.” and be let down again so many times before eventually they just give up and stop caring at all for any newcomers.
Might've worded my post poorly. I just meant that it's probably for the best to just sit back and understand that someone out there wanted that character in the game, for whatever reason. Not that you have to fake excitement for their fans or mask your disappointment not seeing the characters you wanted to see included. I've just seen too many ragers act like any character not on their own wishlist is an undesirable character. Definitely gonna have community favorites though, for sure.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Damn, stalking and death threats over characters in a video game...that's...wild. But I'm not gonna act like that it doesn't happen since there are extremists out there.

Might've worded my post poorly. I just meant was that it's probably for the best to just sit back and understand that someone out there wanted that character in the game, for whatever reason. Not that you have to fake excitement for their fans or mask your disappointment not seeing the characters you wanted to see included. I've just seen too many ragers act like any character not on their own wishlist is an undesirable character. Definitely gonna have community favorites though, for sure.
Oh no I didn't get death threats, I was accused of sending them

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

!!!!!

Smash Fans: We want the ARMS rep revealed.
Nintendo: Nah here's more clubhouse games instead.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
oooh what if we get a pokemon snap character, who can use pokemon and their camera as a moveset
Todd Snap for Smash? Let me throw some apples or other edibles as a projectile, put people to sleep with a Poke Flute, and get people to perform a random taunt when I take a picture and I'm all for it.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I can't get more accurate than this at this point.

Between two Pokémon Direct one week after another, Tweeting about Months olds games, RT'ing indie deals, ****ing Fortnite, 51 Games Clubhouses, The Pokémon DLC, Animal Crossing. One day or another, they'll run out of filler tweets...
Hopefully before June 30. :bobomb:

Firox

Smash Master
Hey All, I've heard people in the past say that Crash Bandicoot seems likely to get in sometime later in FP#2. Supposing he does, am I the only one that kind of sees him as a bland pick for Smash? Don't get me wrong, I know he's got notoriety as both an old school character and franchise, but aside from his trademark spin attack, I can't imagine his moveset being very interesting (not to mention his spin attack would literally be a carbon copy of Incineroar's Neutral B, except maybe a little faster). I feel we already have a lot of standard brawler type characters and there's only so much you can do with punches and kicks, especially when said character isn't even known for being a martial artist or anything. What are your thoughts?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Yeah, I do feel Nintendo's dropped the ball with Smash. There needs to be more transparency about what's coming: The fact the pass has been available to purchase for 30$ for almost six months now and zero information outside of what the first fighter's franchise of origin is is a bit much. Obviously I understand complications out of their control cropped up and I can't fault them for that, but we're at a point now where I don't think that's even the reason they're being silent right now. At this point, it just feels like they're consciously choosing to drag this out as long as possible for seemingly no good reason, and it kinda stinks.

Oh well, I can be patient and wait. The silence certainly ain't hurting them as a company: Animal Crossing is a HUGE seller, the Switch is still flying off of shelves, and their stocks are soaring right now. I kinda doubt they care about what we think right now, lol. :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Hey All, I've heard people in the past say that Crash Bandicoot seems likely to get in sometime later in FP#2. Supposing he does, am I the only one that kind of sees him as a bland pick for Smash? Don't get me wrong, I know he's got notoriety as both an old school character and franchise, but aside from his trademark spin attack, I can't imagine his moveset being very interesting (not to mention his spin attack would literally be a carbon copy of Incineroar's Neutral B, except maybe a little faster). I feel we already have a lot of standard brawler type characters and there's only so much you can do with punches and kicks, especially when said character isn't even known for being a martial artist or anything. What are your thoughts?
I disagree on the spin comment as I feel Crash's would be more like Mach Tornado but yeah I'd like to see Crash but I know he'd be rather boring in terms of a moveset

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I get what you mean but the CB series is full of wacky individuals and weapons, maybe they could cram a few references from these other characters into Crash's moveset ? Either way, Crash himself, as a character, would no doubt be full of charm and personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom