• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There was an article from back in March that, unless I just missed the conversation, I have not seen brought up.

I have made the point that fighters could have been delayed (especially if a third party), or even changed around based on if the companies couldn't meet.
Well- Sakurai actually said this was the case back in March.

"This makes it even more difficult when it comes to negotiating with other companies," continued Sakurai. "I ran into this very thing - in preparation for a new fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, I had a presentation scheduled to a certain publisher. But we weren't able to get everyone assembled, and this meeting has now been indefinitely postponed."

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020...uled-meeting-has-been-indefinitely-postponed/

Was this proven to be untrue?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There was an article from back in March that, unless I just missed the conversation, I have not seen brought up.

I have made the point that fighters could have been delayed (especially if a third party), or even changed around based on if the companies couldn't meet.

"This makes it even more difficult when it comes to negotiating with other companies," continued Sakurai. "I ran into this very thing - in preparation for a new fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, I had a presentation scheduled to a certain publisher. But we weren't able to get everyone assembled, and this meeting has now been indefinitely postponed."

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020...uled-meeting-has-been-indefinitely-postponed/

He said it himself in a Famitsu colomn, whether it's still delayed or if they managed to communicate with other means is still unknown

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I like rating newcomers. I'll start with Brawl since Melee was my first like to many:

:metaknight: 3/5: expected, nice inclusion, but not a big Kirby fan so eh
:snake: 5/5: the significance of his inclusion alone made me go nuts. He also looked really cool for Smash even though back then I wasn't a Metal Gear fan like now
:dedede: 4/5: I like him a lot more than Meta Knight and love big boss characters, so great
:wolf: 4/5: pure bias since I'm a Star Fox fanboy and love every villain in Smash ever
:sonic: 5/5: this was a pipe dream, Sonic is the first franchise I played religiously when I was a kid so it looked unreal
:wario: 4/5: great inclusion, necessary, and was so goofy
:diddy: 3/5: not a big DK fan, but still pretty nice
:olimar: 2/5: never a big Pikmin fan, but the moveset alone made me at least interested
:ike: 1/5: nah man. Never liked Fire Emblem, I actually played PoR but just can't get into that series
:rob: 3/5: I love random, weird additions like this one but I remember it was pretty disappointing when he was literally the last character found in the game
:toonlink: 3/5: I loved it but I could tell it was small Link and nothing more. If the moveset was more varied like he deserves, the hype would be far bigger
:pt: 5/5: the mechanic back then blew my mind. Charizard was playable. This was honestly the ****
:lucario: 2/5: never a big Lucario fan, and back then it was impossible not to think he was the reason we lost Mewtwo
:zerosuitsamus: 4/5: Metroid bias in full force but damn, we got an actual hot girl in Smash so I'd lie if I said I wasn't hyped
:lucas: 1/5: nah fam, sorry, but never player Mother 3 and to me this was always blonde Ness
:pit: 3/5: back then I literally didn't know who the hell this guy was so the interest was enough. If he came after Uprising he would've been a 5/5 easily

:4bayonetta: 5/5: just knowing she was possible in Smash was incredible. I also love the games but I was surprised she was not toned down too much
:4bowserjr: 4/5: always backed him, the idea of the Koopalings is great, I remember people telling he would've been small Bowser and was like lol. Great moveset
:4cloud: 5/5: I never played FF7 nor am I a fan of the franchise, but the simple possibility of him being in was the hypest **** back then. He tore down the door
:4corrin: 2/5: at least an interesting moveset, but eh. The third FE newcomer in a single game
:4darkpit: 1/5: no
:4duckhunt: 4/5: loved him. The redesign is fantastic, the moveset is hilarious, and it's ****ing Duck Hunt
:4greninja: 3/5: eh, looked cool but the Mewtwo unintentional fake out hurt his reveal
:4littlemac: 4/5: inevitable, he's not a 5/5 because he was one of the most predictable newcomers in the game
:4lucina: 2/5: at least she's a... female rep? I guess
:4megaman: 4/5: not a big Mega Man fan but solidified third party were officially a thing. Fantastic trailer to boot
:4pacman: 4/5: blew every naysayer out of the water, another confirmation Sakurai can do whatever he wants, if he wants
:4palutena: 4/5: the most interesting predictable newcomer to me, moveset-wise. Also another female rep which is good
:4robinm: 3/5: back when there was no FE fatigue, a mage was really interesting. Out of all the avatar FE character I still find him the most interesting
:rosalina: 2/5: never liked her, but at least the moveset was really interesting
:4ryu: 4/5: just great, and also even if his moveset looks basic, he's still a true fighting game character which was really new. History of course is there too
:4shulk: 5/5: he's the protagonist of one of my favorite games of all time and I wasn't sure he had a chance, so this is top 5 material for me
:4villager: 3/5: eh, don't like AC. Inevitable and predictable, but at least a new franchise
:4wiifit: 5/5: hate all you want, the reveal was brilliant
:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: 4/5: hate all you want, what Sakurai did with them is cool and having Miis of me and my friends in Smash is so hilarious it single-handedly justifies their inclusion

:ultbanjokazooie: 6/5: is this real life?
:ultbyleth: 2/5: bad timing, over representation... Character looks cool and was saved because he was preceded by so many bombs, but eh
:ulthero: 2/5: moveset saves him, but he was predictable and I really don't like the design. At least he has a cool idea and some alts which look better
:ultincineroar: 3/5: the timing hurt his reveal but he honestly looked insane when he was shown
:ultinkling: 3/5: very predictable and inevitable, but cool nonetheless
:ultjoker: 5/5: never played Persona 5 but I love his design and just the meaning behind his inclusion is so cool
:ultkrool: 5/5: big fat lizard brought back from the dead, how can you not be hyped
:ultdaisy: 1/5: are you guys happy now?
:ultisabelle: 2/5: she cute at least
:ultpiranha: 5/5: yep, love them troll reveals. When Sakurai goes left field, he goes deep
:ultridley: 6/5: that salt... That delicious salt... People telling Sakurai lost his mind and ruined Smash... The sense of victory... The salt... Thank you
:ultchrom: 1/5: are you girls happy now?
:ultken: 2/5: eh, OK, but I would've loved Akuma more. Makes sense though
:ultdarksamus: 4/5: pure delicious Metroid bias
:ultsimon: 5/5: that trailer was pure perfection and some form of horror in Smash was so weird to see
:ultrichter: 3/5: revealing them together was the best way to do it
:ult_terry: 4/5: the only character I knew literally nothing about, and I love when there's stuff I didn't know / predict in my Smash

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
He said it himself in a Famitsu colomn, whether it's still delayed or if they managed to communicate with other means is still unknown
I don't understand how this couldn't have been discussed more.
Perhaps its anecdotal, but I had so many conversations on these boards about the probability that third party characters would have been delayed to a new pass.
I couldn't find evidence, but clearly I didn't look hard enough. This quotation essentially shows us that without question, at that time, Sakurai directly quelled any thoughts on the matter and said no, they may be completely renegotiated.

Damn. I wonder what character was referenced in this post.
Which Western character....(I'm thinking Rayman).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Perhaps its anecdotal, but I had so many conversations on these boards about the probability that third party characters would have been delayed to a new pass.
I couldn't find evidence, but clearly I didn't look hard enough. This quotation essentially shows us that without question, at that time, Sakurai directly quelled any thoughts on the matter and said no, they may be completely renegotiated.

The reason why it hasn't been discussed in 2 months is simple, there's nothing to discuss out of it, there's no way Sakurai has total freedom for first parties so he has to go to the Big N and ask if he's allowed to do what he's planned as seen with past first parties. Delaying the DLC makes sense if COVID-19 doesn't die down, but not if it's replacing something, delaying for a different pass means having to re-do contracts, shift around plans everywhere from development, marketing, etcetera. Not to mention that restarting development for a brand new character means that they still need to discuss development plans meaning they'd just end up getting stuck at the exact same part

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

He said it himself, as Gwen said. I think this essentially confirms that Season 2 has at LEAST 1 3rd party, though it could also be a meeting with Game Freak or *gasp*, Intelligent Systems.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
As of now though, I can't help but feel like Nintendo essentially told us, "We don't really care if you dislike the character. We know most of you will buy him anyway."
The problem with that is that it's exactly what happens.

Case in point? Corrin.

We all know a bunch of people hate Corrin. Plenty of people had taken their time in the last pages to make that clear. That they were too new, that not iconic, that the character is bland, that their game sucks, that they should have been removed, that too much FE, that they all look the same, that too much animuh swordies.

And yet people bought them for Smash and Fates became the best selling FE until Three Houses and Corrin is still one of the most popular FE characters who gets merch such as figures and plushies.

And Smash 4 didn't have a fighters pass, people bought them individually, showing Nintendo it's safe to put whoever they'd like.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The reason why it hasn't been discussed in 2 months is simple, there's nothing to discuss out of it, there's no way Sakurai has total freedom for first parties so he has to go to the Big N and ask if he's allowed to do what he's planned as seen with past first parties. Delaying the DLC makes sense if COVID-19 doesn't die down, but not if it's replacing something, delaying for a different pass means having to re-do contracts, shift around plans everywhere from development, marketing, etcetera. Not to mention that restarting development for a brand new character means that they still need to discuss development plans meaning they'd just end up getting stuck at the exact same part
That still seems illogical.
It seems more like no one wants to discuss it because of the implications.
We will talk in circles on nonsense- yet Sakurai himself says something so vital relating to which characters are in this pass,
and it is nearly sidestepped.

Oh well. Seems like a Nintendo centric pass is inevitable.
And that we may indeed get that third pass for some more pushed back characters.

SKX31

Smash Master

Another reason why this hasn't been discussed is that there's no reliable way to narrow down which country said publisher comes from (from the information presented in the column, Sakurai knows perfectly well). By mid-March, the virus had begun to escalate globally (incl. Japan, US and Rayman's case France). And while China's case count per day was slowing down, the lockdown was still in full force.

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but there's no real way of inferring which character thusly.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm sort of a completionist. I usually end up getting all the characters regardless, simply for the most complete experience. Already bought pass 2 and everything.

And you don't wanna be the one person who doesn't have their friend's fav character when they come over.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ok so new idea, the last character you played as in any game is coming to Smash, doesn't matter if it's a licensed game or anything either, who's the lucky character? In my case, Wacky Wahoo Pizza Man from DMC3
I can't wait for Zenyatta to make Smash Ultimate's cast experience tranquility.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ok so new idea, the last character you played as in any game is coming to Smash, doesn't matter if it's a licensed game or anything either, who's the lucky character? In my case, Wacky Wahoo Pizza Man from DMC3
EDIT: Actually, I last played as Sonic in Sonic Mania...Woohoo! Can't wait to play as Sonic in a Smash game!

He said it himself, as Gwen said. I think this essentially confirms that Season 2 has at LEAST 1 3rd party, though it could also be a meeting with Game Freak or *gasp*, Intelligent Systems.
Doesn't necessarily have to be for another FE rep though.
Ok, I looked up a list of their games to make a joke, but Intelligent Systems has made a lot of cools stuff in the past. What have they made that's not Fire Emblem or Advance Wars? Oh you know, a little game called Super Metroid.

They've also made (according to Wikipedia):
  • Duck Hunt (and the gang with him in Smash)
  • The Robot series games.
  • Metroid
  • Mario Paint
  • The Paper Mario series
  • The WarioWare series
  • Face Training...Yeah I don't know either.
I don't know what I was expecting but it sure wasn't all that. Might mean that Paper Mario would require working with Intelligent Systems, though I kinda doubt it since...It's Mario.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That still seems illogical.
It seems more like no one wants to discuss it because of the implications.
We will talk in circles on nonsense- yet Sakurai himself says something so vital relating to which characters are in this pass,
and it is nearly sidestepped.

Oh well. Seems like a Nintendo centric pass is inevitable.
And that we may indeed get that third pass for some more pushed back characters.
There are ZERO implications. Scrapping this characters screws with business deals and doesn't fix anything as it'd just end up having the first party character stuck on the exact same thing. We already know Sakurai discussed details about first party characters before working on them. All it changes is that more prep work needs to be done, the identity of the character and their content

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As one of the Smash fans who was super happy about Byleth being added, I think the mistake in this reasoning is assuming all smash fans would have a problem with Byleth, or more swordfighters.

Just because a lot of people complained (and still do) doesn't mean the fanbase unanymously hates the character.
Never said Byleth was unanimously hated, just that a notable chunk of the fanbase seems to have either a neutral or negative opinion of him. I think that should be taken into consideration when choosing characters.

I could easily argue the opposite and say, "Well, Ridley isn't unanimously liked. We wouldn't want to upset anyone." Likewise, it's just as weird to say, "Well, I'm sure Bubsy isn't unanimously hated. We should add him so his fans will be happy." You should be able to get a general idea how most characters will be recieved. I'm assuming that's ultimately what led to K. Rool and Banjo getting in Smash.

So again, if there's a character who Sakurai himself has to downplay in order to decrease an almost inevitable negative reaction, does that sound like a wise character choice for Smash? The response to Byleth shouldn't have come as a surprise to them, especially after Corrin. Wouldn't it make more sense to just go with someone who they feel would be a little less controversial than to focus on the smaller crowd and go, "Nah, I'm sure there's a few people who want Byleth. Those who don't will get over it."

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Never said Byleth was unanimously hated, just that a notable chunk of the fanbase seems to have either a neutral or negative opinion of him. I think that should be taken into consideration when choosing characters.

I could easily argue the opposite and say, "Well, Ridley isn't unanimously liked. We wouldn't want to upset anyone." Likewise, it's just as weird to say, "Well, I'm sure Bubsy isn't unanimously hated. We should add him so his fans will be happy." You should be able to get a general idea how most characters will be recieved. I'm assuming that's ultimately what led to K. Rool and Banjo getting in Smash.

So again, if there's a character who Sakurai himself has to downplay in order to decrease an almost inevitable negative reaction, does that sound like a wise character choice for Smash? The response to Byleth shouldn't have come as a surprise to them, especially after Corrin. Wouldn't it make more sense to just go with someone who they feel would be a little less controversial than to focus on the smaller crowd and go, "Nah, I'm sure there's a few people who want Byleth. Those who don't will get over it."
The world may never know.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The last game that I played was Persona 3, so the Persona 3 main character for Smash? (I don't know enough about the party to know if anyone else would be a better fit - I'm only in the tutorial, or the build-up to the first dungeon, so I only know about four other party members, and I've only seen two of them in action)

I don't know much about how he'd fight, though he uses a one-handed sword and his default Persona uses fire magic. However, he's the only one that you actually control, thanks to the bizarre decision to make it so all of your party members are purely controlled by the AI, so he'd be the last character that I played as.

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I'm sort of a completionist. I usually end up getting all the characters regardless, simply for the most complete experience. Already bought pass 2 and everything.

And you don't wanna be the one person who doesn't have their friend's fav character when they come over.
I haven't bought pass 2 yet, but I likely will after we know more about who's in because some of the people I play with will want access to all of their characters. As far as I'm concerned that more than justifies the purchase. Smash is best with friends after all.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The last game that I played was Persona 3, so the Persona 3 main character for Smash? (I don't know enough about the party to know if anyone else would be a better fit - I'm only in the tutorial, or the build-up to the first dungeon, so I only know about four other party members, and I've only seen two of them in action)
The way it's worded, it sounds like you can pick any game you like, and the character coming from that game is the last one you played. So if you've only played one of them, it's that one.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I don't know much about how he'd fight, though he uses a one-handed sword and his default Persona uses fire magic.
It means you have 4 characters at once, but the 3 others are level 1 CPUs to reflect the AI controlled partners

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I simply haven't put in the numbers for more money. But yeah, gotta buy the pass soon. I'll do so today if I remember.

Since I didn't have enough beforehand, I just bought a few things I wanted, including my first chance to play DQ3. I already have 1 and 2(on the NES and Gameboy), so I didn't need another version of 2. Might still do so at some point, but I wanted to replay 1, and I think the Switch version is somewhat different from the Gameboy one, including names, but I'm not sure. I do know the Magic Armor and Erdrick's Armor are nerfed from the NES version to heal you slower(and to be honest, it's a good change).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

In his Famitsu column, he talks about the problems of working from home. The only thing directly about Smash was the bolded line.

The first line is talking generally and then from his own experience. It should be noted that the company was likely Nintendo (Sora and Namco [the developer] are separate companies and are located in Tokyo while Nintendo is in Kyoto). The ARMS character was next so they'd likely be showing them off to Nintendo's higher ups and Yabuki, the game's director.

The delays wouldn't be a problem for who gets in. These negotiations were likely done in 2019 before this all happened. For comparison, Joker was shown off in early December 2018 but didn't release until April 2019, 4 months later. So there was nothing stopping them from showing another third party character in a similar way. He was also shown without any gameplay. So Nintendo and Sakurai's ability to get third party characters in the pass wouldn't have been hindered by Coronavirus as these would have all been done way in advance. Sakurai's issue here is he can't show things off to the Publisher about the character, but this wouldn't be a problem as Sakurai is now working from home anyway, as are a lot of other companies. So with rights being negotiated well in advanced and everyone working from home (which Sakurai wasn't in the article you're quoting), this is no longer a problem.

If this pass is a Nintendo centric one, then it would be based on choice (likely to keep more profits) and was not due to the impact of Coronavirus.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Can't believe our first non-videogame character is Darth Maul
y'all better watch that dual blade

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Overall ratings for the newcomers since Brawl:

-Brawl

:metaknight:: 5/5. I was playing lots of Kirby Air Ride as a kid and almost always picked him. Seeing him in Brawl was awesome.
:pit:: 4/5. I actually recognized him as the Melee trophy. I thought he looked really cool and wanted to pick him up.
:zerosuitsamus:: 3/5. I didn't played Metroid until much later so I was rather indifferent to her.
:wario:: 4/5. Goofy inclusion that I liked. I hated how he played in Brawl, though.
:snake:: 3/5 back then, 6/5 now. I had no idea what Metal Gear was. I thought he looked cool but nothing more. Nowadays, Metal Gear is one of my favorite franchises of all time and Snake can be looked back as the one of the most important characters in Smash history.
:ike:: 5/5. Big blue haired Fire Emblem dude with a huge sword that can emit fire? SIGN ME UP. Great Aether sold me on the character.
:pt:: 4/5. I was huge into Pokemon back then so I thought it was brilliant to see him here.
:diddy:: 2/5. Never cared for Diddy.
:lucas:: 1/5. I did not know what a Mother was at the time nor did I end up caring once I fully knew about it.
:sonic:: 5/5. Need I say more?
:dedede:: 4/5. After Meta Knight I thought he was obvious. I didn't dig his playstyle ultimately, but he was still a worthy inclusion.
:olimar:: 1/5. I didn't hate Olimar but I had 0% idea what he even has.
:lucario:: 5/5. I loved Lucario as a kid, especially after watching his movie. I still think he is really cool.
:rob:: 4/5. After playing Mario Kart DS, I thought seeing him here was awesome. He's always had a special place in my childhood.
:toonlink:: 4/5 when I first saw him, 1/5 as the years went on. I still think he is one of the weakest newcomers in the series.
:wolf:: 4/5. I always thought he looked cool and cool he was.

-Smash 4

:4villager:: 1/5. I never liked Animal Crossing nor did I care about his inclusion. I liked his playstyle at first but then I just fell out of it and haven't looked back.
:4megaman:: 5/5. Obvious reasons are obvious.
:4wiifit:: 3/5. Weird choice is weird but it was admirable in a sense.
:rosalina:: 4/5. I always thought she was a guaranteed pick. The trailer did trick me into believing it was Kirby Air Ride 2.
:4littlemac:: 5/5. One of the best reveal trailers in the series. I thought he was going to be OP from it. I don't care if he is kind of a joke now, he's still awesome.
:4greninja:: 4/5. SomethingsomethingMewtwojebaited but he was still awesome.
:4palutena:: 4/5. Like Rosa, I thought she was obvious. Plus I liked her in Uprising a lot.
:4darkpit:: 3/5 idea wise, 1/5 execution wise. I like Dark Pit, but him being an exact moveset clone of Pit was a large disappointment. Plus his reveal was confusing.
:4pacman:: 5/5. I love Pac-Man a lot and was ecstatic when he was dropped. His reveal after the conference was really weird, though. Pac-Man would have been a bombshell announcement at their conference.
:4robinm:: 5/5. Fresh off Awakening, I really liked his inclusion and was unexpected.
:4lucina:: 0/5 back then, 1/5 now. Personal bias, worst entry in the series by far. I think Lucina is very uninteresting and overrated as a character and much preferred Chrom as an Awakening rep over her. Her getting in for the reasons Chrom got kicked out didn't help either.
:4bowserjr:: 2/5. Loved his trailer, didn't much care for the character.
:4duckhunt:: 2/5. See Bowser Jr.
:4mewtwo:: 5/5. Pretty much speaks for itself. Mewtwo coming back was amazing and was a big deal as he was the first DLC character in Smash history.
:4lucas:: 1/5. Still did not care for Lucas.
:4feroy:: 4.5/5. I LOVED what they did with Roy in Smash 4. Even though he sucked in Melee, I always thought he was a badass and stuck with him.
:4ryu:: 5/5. I love Street Fighter, I love Ryu, his trailer was great, awesome overall.
:4cloud:: 5/5. One of the best reveals in Smash history. Not much to say as it's quite obvious.
:4corrin:: 2/5. I liked his design but his trailer was weak and gave out a weak impression of Corrin. Unfortunately, he'd be the kickstarter of the FE hatred in Smash so his impact in Smash is regretfully a negative one.
:4bayonetta:: 4/5. Loved her games, I liked her inclusion. Now if only she didn't break the game in half for the worse.

-Smash Ultimate

:ultinkling:: 4/5. A "no ****" inclusion. Plus Splatoon is a good series.
:ulticeclimbers:: 3/5. I never cared for the Climbers, but strangely I can't deny it was good to see them back.
:ultpokemontrainer:: 4/5. Genuinely surprised they brought him back.
:ultsnake:: 20/5. Poster boy for Everyone is Here, they brought back Snake on the 10 year anniversary of MGS4, one of my favorite games of all time, Ultimate is the greatest game ever.
:ultpichu:: 4/5. Surprised as everyone else seeing him back.
:ultyounglink:: 3/5. Was happy seeing him but I wouldn't lose sleep if he didn't come back.
:ultdaisy:: 3/5. It's one of those "about damn time" reveals, but it was simply that for me.
:ultridley:: 5/5. I was getting into Metroid and he gets revealed. Yeah, the stars aligned that day.
:ultsimon::ultrichter:: 5/5. 2018 is when I got into Castlevania and this one of the reasons why.
:ultchrom:: 5/5. After getting treated as a joke in Smash 4, I was ecstatic seeing him playable.
:ultdarksamus:: 4/5. Deserved it, even though she is nothing like Samus moveset wise in the Prime games.
:ultkrool:: 4/5. I wasn't losing my mind for him like everyone else was, but it was still a good reveal. I hate his playstyle, though.
:ultisabelle:: 2/5. Never liked Animal Crossing. Only reason she gets a 2/5 is because she is adorable as hell.
:ultken:: 5/5. See Ryu only I like Ken more as a character.
:ultpiranha:: 1/5 when I saw him, 3/5 over time. I was very salty upon seeing him after Shadow and Isaac got deconfirmed. Eventually I started warming up to him.
:ultjoker:: 5/5. Somethingsomthingyouneverseeitcomingmeme.
:ulthero:: 4/5. Great trailer, looked fun to play, is a lot of fun to play. Frustrating to fight, though.
:ultbanjokazooie:: 5/5. Obvious reasons are obvious.
:ult_terry:: 5/5. The best trailer in Smash so far. He also came with the best DLC stage so far and is the most fun to play of the DLC's. Terry is fantastic.
:ultbyleth:: 2/5 at first, 4/5 over time. I still think he was a disappointing finale to the first pass but overtime he grew to be a fun addition.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Overall ratings for the newcomers since Brawl:

-Brawl

:metaknight:: 5/5. I was playing lots of Kirby Air Ride as a kid and almost always picked him. Seeing him in Brawl was awesome.
:pit:: 4/5. I actually recognized him as the Melee trophy. I thought he looked really cool and wanted to pick him up.
:zerosuitsamus:: 3/5. I didn't played Metroid until much later so I was rather indifferent to her.
:wario:: 4/5. Goofy inclusion that I liked. I hated how he played in Brawl, though.
:snake:: 3/5 when I first saw him. I had no idea what Metal Gear was. I thought he looked cool but nothing more. Nowadays he'd be a 6/5.
:ike:: 5/5. Big blue haired Fire Emblem dude with a huge sword that can emit fire? SIGN ME UP. Great Aether sold me on the character.
:pt:: 4/5. I was huge into Pokemon back then so I thought it was brilliant to see him here.
:diddy:: 2/5. Never cared for Diddy.
:lucas:: 1/5. I did not know what a Mother was at the time nor did I end up caring once I fully knew about it.
:sonic:: 5/5. Need I say more?
:dedede:: 4/5. After Meta Knight I thought he was obvious. I didn't dig his playstyle ultimately, but he was still a worthy inclusion.
:olimar:: 1/5. I didn't hate Olimar but I had 0% idea what he even has.
:lucario:: 5/5. I loved Lucario as a kid, especially after watching his movie. I still think he is really cool.
:rob:: 4/5. After playing Mario Kart DS, I thought seeing him here was awesome. He's always had a special place in my childhood.
:toonlink:: 4/5 when I first saw him, 1/5 as the years went on. I still think he is one of the weakest newcomers in the series.
:wolf:: 4/5. I always thought he looked cool and cool he was.

-Smash 4

:4villager:: 1/5. I never liked Animal Crossing nor did I care about his inclusion. I liked his playstyle at first but then I just fell out of it and haven't looked back.
:4megaman:: 5/5. Obvious reasons are obvious.
:4wiifit:: 3/5. Weird choice is weird but it was admirable in a sense.
:rosalina:: 4/5. I always thought she was a guaranteed pick. The trailer did trick me into believing it was Kirby Air Ride 2.
:4littlemac:: 5/5. One of the best reveal trailers in the series. I thought he was going to be OP from it. I don't care if he is kind of a joke now, he's still awesome.
:4greninja:: 4/5. SomethingsomethingMewtwojebaited but he was still awesome.
:4palutena:: 4/5. Like Rosa, I thought she was obvious. Plus I liked her in Uprising a lot.
:4darkpit:: 3/5 idea wise, 1/5 execution wise. I like Dark Pit, but him being an exact moveset clone of Pit was a large disappointment. Plus his reveal was confusing.
:4pacman:: 5/5. I love Pac-Man a lot and was ecstatic when he was dropped. His reveal after the conference was really weird, though. Pac-Man would have been a bombshell announcement at their conference.
:4robinm:: 5/5. Fresh off Awakening, I really liked his inclusion and was unexpected.
:4lucina:: 0/5 back then, 1/5 now. Personal bias, worst entry in the series by far. I think Lucina is very uninteresting and overrated as a character and much preferred Chrom as an Awakening rep over her. Her getting in for the reasons Chrom got kicked out didn't help either.
:4bowserjr:: 2/5. Loved his trailer, didn't much care for the character.
:4duckhunt:: 2/5. See Bowser Jr.
:4mewtwo:: 5/5. Pretty much speaks for itself. Mewtwo coming back was amazing and was a big deal as he was the first DLC character in Smash history.
:4lucas:: 1/5. Still did not care for Lucas.
:4feroy:: 4.5/5. I LOVED what they did with Roy in Smash 4. Even though he sucked in Melee, I always thought he was a badass and stuck with him.
:4ryu:: 5/5. I love Street Fighter, I love Ryu, his trailer was great, awesome overall.
:4cloud:: 5/5. One of the best reveals in Smash history. Not much to say as it's quite obvious.
:4corrin:: 2/5. I liked his design but his trailer was weak and gave out a weak impression of Corrin. Unfortunately, he'd be the kickstarter of the FE hatred in Smash so his impact in Smash is regretfully a negative one.
:4bayonetta:: 4/5. Loved her games, I liked her inclusion. Now if only she didn't break the game in half for the worse.

-Smash Ultimate

:ultinkling:: 4/5. A "no ****" inclusion. Plus Splatoon is a good series.
:ulticeclimbers:: 3/5. I never cared for the Climbers, but strangely I can't deny it was good to see them back.
:ultpokemontrainer:: 4/5. Genuinely surprised they brought him back.
:ultsnake:: 20/5. Poster boy for Everyone is Here, they brought back Snake on the 10 year anniversary of MGS4, one of my favorite games of all time, Ultimate is the greatest game ever.
:ultpichu:: 4/5. Surprised as everyone else seeing him back.
:ultyounglink:: 3/5. Was happy seeing him but I wouldn't lose sleep if he didn't come back.
:ultdaisy:: 3/5. It's one of those "about damn time" reveals, but it was simply that for me.
:ultridley:: 5/5. I was getting into Metroid and he gets revealed. Yeah, the stars aligned that day.
:ultsimon::ultrichter:: 5/5. 2018 is when I got into Castlevania and this one of the reasons why.
:ultchrom:: 5/5. After getting treated as a joke in Smash 4, I was ecstatic seeing him playable.
:ultdarksamus:: 4/5. Deserved it, even though she is nothing like Samus moveset wise in the Prime games.
:ultkrool:: 4/5. I wasn't losing my mind for him like everyone else was, but it was still a good reveal. I hate his playstyle, though.
:ultisabelle:: 2/5. Never liked Animal Crossing. Only reason she gets a 2/5 is because she is adorable as hell.
:ultken:: 5/5. See Ryu only I like Ken more as a character.
:ultpiranha:: 1/5 when I saw him, 3/5 over time. I was very salty upon seeing him after Shadow and Isaac got deconfirmed. Eventually I started warming up to him.
:ultjoker:: 5/5. Somethingsomthingyouneverseeitcomingmeme.
:ulthero:: 4/5. Great trailer, looked fun to play, is a lot of fun to play. Frustrating to fight, though.
:ultbanjokazooie:: 5/5. Obvious reasons are obvious.
:ult_terry:: 5/5. The best trailer in Smash so far. He also came with the best DLC stage so far and is the most fun to play of the DLC's. Terry is fantastic.
:ultbyleth:: 2/5 at first, 4/5 over time. I still think he was a disappointing finale to the first pass but overtime he grew to be a fun addition.
How could you forget to rate fighter #69!?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
:4villager:: 1/5. I never liked Animal Crossing
I have never met a human on planet earth who has ever said that. I've seen people not care about it, but straight up dislike? The hell happened? Did Resetti scar you for life? Was the impending anxiety of taxes too real? :nifty: I gotta know the lore behind this.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Can't believe our first non-videogame character is Darth Maul
y'all better watch that dual blade
I’d accept this only if we got Duel of the Fates as his theme.

To answer the question, looks like we’re getting Mickey Mouse after all.

D

Deleted member

Longclaw from the Sonic movie/Sonic Forces Speed Battle.

Legit wondering how people would react to that.

blackghost

Smash Champion
:ultbyleth:Sour, just sour. Things really haven't changed for the better as time went on. Specially after seeing how little has TH improved in sales between January and March. Actually, the fact that the sales didn't break the 3 million in those next months leads me to believe this inclusion backfired on them, especially when you compare those numbers to those of other games such as Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion and New Horizons. It's because of characters like this that I am glad that Nintendo gets their stuff leaked, and why I don't feel bad for their games being hacked or datamined. No amount of hype money will ever be worth going through weeks of drama like those.
this isnt sour this is just bitterness. being excited at a game not selling a certain amount makes no sense as a nintendo fan or claiming to be one. every game isnt going to sell like a mario game. that doesnt make them failures. strategy games will never be close in sales to easier and more casual games like pokemon or mainstream platformers. nintendo wants to expand their franchises of recognition and its hard to argue they have been successful. it cannot be understated how important in the franchise 3 houses is. from all apsects form storytelling to gameplay design and decisions to story.

being happy about companies getting major leaks is an interesting thing to approach given the current climate.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ok so new idea, the last character you played as in any game is coming to Smash, doesn't matter if it's a licensed game or anything either, who's the lucky character?
78y.gif

Fourth Konami rep lets go

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
The one and only White Wolf from the Witcher 3. I know I'm 5 years too late, but this is my first playthrough of the game and I unironically think he'd be a fit character for Smash, despite him originating from a book. His game has changed the gaming landscape as we know it.
View attachment 272699

Fourth Konami rep lets go
He was literally the only reason I was looking forward to Jump Force. It'd be a pipedream for me that's for sure.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I hope his taunts or something(Spirits?) gives us Gradius stuff. It's one of the Konami franchises that feels odd to have no references/material(Frogger is the other one).
There is a literal Gradius archetype in the game.

1590422343497.png

It is total ass IRL but it keeps getting new support every year that references Gradius games. This one came out last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom