• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I could probably come up with a "the fanbase was wrong" argument for every character added in Ultimate.

Geno could get in Smash and prove a number of people in this thread wrong, but really, how hard is it to find a character who doesn't have something the fanbase considers to be holding them back? You know what Sora, a Gen 8 Pokemon, Steve, and Waluigi all have in common? Just like Geno, each of them has something that's seemingly stopping them from getting in according to fans.

We don't even know who F6 is, and it's already proven a lot of people wrong.
Not to mention that F6 is extremely likely to be an assist trophy or at the very least a spirit, so yes, speculation of previous patterns for this season pass is starting from a point of “unlearn what you have learned.”

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Steve was a giant meme two years ago and no one would have taken you seriously if you suggested him.

Edit: It wasn't until Vergeben started picking up steam that Steve gained serious discussion. i.e. post E3 2018.
Was Vergeben's "Minecraft content" leak erased from the Space Time Continuum? For a couple months Steve was perhaps the most likely newcomer discounting Incineroar/Ken, and even after base game a lot of people still said he was more likely than Banjo, trust me, I was there.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Was Vergeben's "Minecraft content" leak erased from the Space Time Continuum? For a couple months Steve was perhaps the most likely newcomer discounting Incineroar/Ken, and even after base game a lot of people still said he was more likely than Banjo, trust me, I was there.
I thought it was agreed upon that he mistook the "Minecraft content" for something else? Namely, the Cubivore spirit?

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
I thought it was agreed upon that he mistook the "Minecraft content" for something else? Namely, the Cubivore spirit?
Correct me if i'm wrong but I think it was a mix between either leak bait or false information and I believe Rathalos was named something like "EndDragon" or something similar in the files and he mistook it for the Ender Dragon from Minecraft. That last part might have been speculation though...

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
That's what I was referencing as being the starting point for any serious Steve discussion. Vergeben wasn't taken too seriously until after E3 2018 and even then he still had a fair amount of detractors until the Belmont reveal proved there to be something to him. E3 2018 is not yet two years ago.

Steve was a complete joke all the way up until Vergeben in mid 2018, and for good reason since Minecraft didn't hit any Nintendo consoles until late 2015. Banjo in comparison had been a very popularly requested character since as far back as Melee.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Minecraft was leaked to Vergeben by somebody who was believable, but in the end was doing it for the attention.

There was never anything to that “leak” from the beginning.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Regardless of where Verge got that information, he was still able to convince people that Minecraft content was coming since he first made the claim in May 2018. He kept holding on to it for several months, and he even convinced people that Ender Dragon was a boss as late as December 2018.

Actually, I think it went on even longer than that. Once Banjo was confirmed, kept predicting Minecraft content for his character bundle, and they wouldn't stop until he was released in September.

Another example of why people should stop taking leaks like their gospel, regardless of how much they get right. Gematsu wasn't perfect and neither was Verge.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The thing that concerns me about Fire Emblem's reception by the smash community (purely generalising, of course) is that no-one has a problem with Dark Samus literally having no moves from her source material and purely having different animations, due to their limited development (which I understand :3) but having Fire Emblem characters at all, regardless of their originality, is an unspeakable crime. I understand that it can be annoying to have similar characters, but I personally haven't seen anyone comment on Dark Samus having suffered for being an echo. Furthermore, I think it's a shame that the ultimate crossover originally intended for Nintendo fans gets so much hate when Nintendo characters are added. Yes, this is a rant, for which I apologise, but wasn't it amazing when we were all excited for Ridley, regardless of whether or not we were fans of the character, his series, or even the memes? I... kinda miss that, because when DLC started rolling around, loads more people seemed openly disappointed, even angry, with some of the picks... I feel like it kinda hurts. Is this just me?
Nah, plenty of people lament that Dark Samus was an Echo the way she is. But plenty of people also accept that she might've not gotten in at all if not for these clones. The character ironically has a lot to make her stand out despite the name.

Really, for me, the best case for Dark Samus would be for her to be like Falco in comparison to Samus being Fox I guess. But all we can really hope for is later titles taking the chance to make her stand out more and more. Luigi, Falco and Ganon didn't become as crazy different as they are now, it took time. Really, I think the only substantially unique echo is Ken, who probably shouldn't be called one. Though Chrom is closer to Ken than the others.

As for why they get less complaints than Fire Emblem, Metroid never had a ton of characters in Smash before. While FE kind of blew up in Smash 4, which is where people's grievances started. Now it has 8 characters, though part of that reason is a rotating cast, and the other is that many of them are takes on Marth's moveset to varying degrees. Though Roy and Chrom have much more than minor differences. I can understand the frustration with people being disappointed with new Nintendo characters being added. But I'd be lying if I said I gave a **** about FE as a franchise. Though I AM excited for ARMS getting a character.

I think for me, most Nintendo characters I give a **** about are in, except like 4. There's plenty I'd be fine with, but not a ton I'm actively rooting for. Which is why 3rd party characters are more gonna get more of an investment from me. It covers the larger scope of gaming when I get to shill for Mega Man X or Jin Kazama or Hayabusa or Lara Croft and so on.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think the key difference between Geno and Banjo-Kazooie is that the latter were huge at some point. Your mileage may vary on whether they're still icons because 90's kids keep bringing them up or if they're relics of a bygone era, but there's no argument that at least at some point they were a big deal. Same with K. Rool, for the most part. Their fanbases can rally behind the cause of giving them the recognition their former glory deserves. Geno doesn't have that; his support isn't based on returning him to his former profile, but rather raising it to a level it has never been before. That isn't as compelling to someone who doesn't see what all the fuss is about, and it also means that there's less reason for Sakurai, who might see Smash as a sort of gaming history museum, to add him.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If we're talking about characters that were huge requests for DLC, obviously here in the west it was Banjo-Kazooie. But wasn't Hero/DQ in general a huge request for Smash in Japan? I think people kind of ignore that because the default design uses the Luminary from the newest game instead of Erdrick, who was probably the guy most fans asked for. But the fact that Sakurai squeezed in that version of Hero I think shows how popular he was.

But whether a character is super popular or not, first party or third party, I only wish that at least 2 of the characters are something I really give a **** about. Without getting too picky/specific about it.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
first some people need to understand square enix right now. this is a live look at them:
duck.gif

Geno is not in a good place because Square is on top of the gaming world right now. and they KNEW the FF 7 remake was gonna be good. Square right now is the most arrogant and confident company out there right now. Geno is not getting negotiated into this game it is of no benefit to squaresoft imo. It makes way more sense for square to want to push a bravely default character through smash than anything else right now. geno would be a huge departure from dlc we have gotten which are character that are mascots and main character in big games and genre-defining. the reality is what many people her seem to think geno is and what he actually is on the gaming landscape as a whole are entirely different.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
first some people need to understand square enix right now. this is a live look at them:
View attachment 269676
Geno is not in a good place because Square is on top of the gaming world right now. and they KNEW the FF 7 remake was gonna be good. Square right now is the most arrogant and confident company out there right now. Geno is not getting negotiated into this game it is of no benefit to squaresoft imo. It makes way more sense for square to want to push a bravely default character through smash than anything else right now. geno would be a huge departure from dlc we have gotten which are character that are mascots and main character in big games and genre-defining. the reality is what many people her seem to think geno is and what he actually is on the gaming landscape as a whole are entirely different.
Geno is already in this game. The spirit is right there. It’s just not the hurdle you’re making it out to be.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Steve was a giant meme two years ago and no one would have taken you seriously if you suggested him.

Edit: It wasn't until Vergeben started picking up steam that Steve gained serious discussion. i.e. post E3 2018.
Steve was wanted by some people on Miiverse, I think I remember seeing some people on there want him (I think so anyway, I didn’t really use Miiverse much but I did visit it sometimes) and other users have mentioned it during Ultimate’s speculation cycle too. I remember making a Steve joke on a thread (the joke was a fake Smash 4 website page leak) too though I also genuinely wanted him, kinda sucks if that many people really treated him as only a meme. He may have only got on Nintendo systems starting in 2015 but Minecraft still existed 5-6 years before then.

As for Vergeben, yeah his info was wrong it seems either as misinfo or leakbait, though hopefully Steve has a shot for Pass 2 since the leakbait would’ve been from 2018 way before Pass 2 was planned. It caused the dumb and annoying Banjo vs. Steve wars (which really bugged me as a fan of both) and also brought those trolls with the ugly Steve render (which I admittedly found funny at first until it started being used to harass others and people started blaming actual Steve fans for it (even when the trolls started harassing Steve fans too lol)) but I’m happy Vergeben mentioned it as it also caused other Steve fans to speak up and campaign for him, including me tbh as while I loved the idea and wanted him in Smash 4 I think (though I was more carefree about characters getting in back then, but I think I voted for him in the ballot) it kinda didn’t occur to me until it was brought up, like Skull Kid; characters I love but for some reason it took seeing them suggested from others for the idea to enter my head :S

tbh I was also shy about bringing up Minecraft on here before Vergeben made it more of a relevant topic since I feared people saying stuff like “lol Minecraft cringe” like I saw in other places such as YouTube comments...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think this is the weakest take on the "Geno is too insignificant" argument that makes up pretty much the entire previous page. True, there's no marketing potential with him, but they're still getting paid for the character and their related assets. The deal wouldn't hurt them any.

Also not seeing why a successful company automatically equals an arrogant one but that's neither here nor there.

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
Geno is already in this game. The spirit is right there. It’s just not the hurdle you’re making it out to be.
I don't think you are seeing the point of the comments, of course SE accepted to give Geno for the amount of %0.0000000000001 dollars as a Spirit, but they probably would ask for at least double the amount of money for Geno as a playable character compared to any another SE character Nintendo would want, cause they (SE) wouldn't benefit in the slightest from it, making it way more expensive. The decisive factor is if Nintendo would be ok with paying that much money for Geno and giving SE way more percentage of the DLC earnings, or they get a different character that's way more relevant and SE wants to advertise for a cheaper price (probably not really cheap, but cheaper than Geno).

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I think the key difference between Geno and Banjo-Kazooie is that the latter were huge at some point. Your mileage may vary on whether they're still icons because 90's kids keep bringing them up or if they're relics of a bygone era, but there's no argument that at least at some point they were a big deal. Same with K. Rool, for the most part. Their fanbases can rally behind the cause of giving them the recognition their former glory deserves. Geno doesn't have that; his support isn't based on returning him to his former profile, but rather raising it to a level it has never been before. That isn't as compelling to someone who doesn't see what all the fuss is about, and it also means that there's less reason for Sakurai, who might see Smash as a sort of gaming history museum, to add him.
Everyone wants their character to be recognized and acknowledged, but most of the time Sakura would rather do minimal effort on those types of characters but will move mountains for characters nobody want like Piranha Plant. Just show of pathetic most of those characters are when it comes to the Smash Bros team.

Last edited:

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
Everyone wants their character to be recognized and acknowledged, but most of the time Sakura would rather do minimal effort on those types of characters but will move mountains for characters nobody want like Piranha Plant. Just show of pathetic most of those characters are.
At least they aren't as pathethic as those that don't make it into the game.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Everyone wants their character to be recognized and acknowledged, but most of the time Sakura would rather do minimal effort on those types of characters but will move mountains for characters nobody want like Piranha Plant. Just show of pathetic most of those characters are.
Piranha Plant is a recognizable character that nobody was expecting, Geno is an obscure character that everyone was expecting. Oh the irony...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think you are seeing the point of the comments, of course SE accepted to give Geno for the amount of %0.0000000000001 dollars as a Spirit, but they probably would ask for at least double the amount of money for Geno as a playable character compared to any another SE character Nintendo would want, cause they (SE) wouldn't benefit in the slightest from it, making it way more expensive. The decisive factor is if Nintendo would be ok with paying that much money for Geno and giving SE way more percentage of the DLC earnings, or they get a different character that's way more relevant and SE wants to advertise for a cheaper price (probably not really cheap, but cheaper than Geno).
Considering that the Dragon Quest music costs was the reason why Hero was DLC I don't think Nintendo is overly worried about a high price tag.
EDIT: For DLC I mean.

Also, this may just be me being naive, but I don't see why SquareEnix would be like "Oh sure, you can use our character in this way." but then turn around with "Oh you want him playable now? That'll be a million dollars." I mean, obviously the price will be higher due to the use of more content, but I don't think the use of Geno alone is going to be the big issue.

Everyone wants their character to be recognized and acknowledged, but most of the time Sakura would rather do minimal effort on those types of characters but will move mountains for characters nobody want like Piranha Plant. Just show of pathetic most of those characters are when it comes to the Smash Bros team.
First of all, this is blatantly false.

Second of all "because Piranha Plant" is not a good argument, especially when it has nothing to do with is being talked about.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Also, this may just be me being naive, but I don't see why SquareEnix would be like "Oh sure, you can use our character in this way." but then turn around with "Oh you want him playable now? That'll be a million dollars." I mean, obviously the price will be higher due to the use of more content, but I don't think the use of Geno alone is going to be the big issue.
I don't think the price tag is the issue. You've got two companies who own a character who they don't really care about. Nintendo has moved on from SMRPG and put their focus on Paper Mario and M+L, while SE has had three opportunities (3on3, Sports Mix, Fortune Street) to add Geno in a Mario game, and they didn't (the last one even had SMRPG music).

I think it's clear that SE ain't gonna go out of their way for Geno, and Nintendo's a big question mark. Just depends on whether or not they care enough to try, because they could just as easily add Waluigi instead and please a lot of fans while spending a whole lot less.

Better to not be in than being a PNG, an NPC or an ugly costume in a fighting game that all about playing as the characters.
It's better to recieve no acknowledgment and be forgotten entirely?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
“Obviously they don’t find Bowser worthwhile to add if Ness could get in before him”

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's my thoughts on Geno situation relative to Banjo: it helps, but it doesn't guaranteed anything.

On the one hand, Banjo is the latest in a general trend that has impacted much of Ultimate's roster: getting in heavily requested characters. Every vet returning, Ridley, Castlevania's inclusion, Chrom, Dark Samus, King K. Rool, Dragon Quest's inclusion, and Banjo and Kazooie all happened specifically to satisfy fan requests. While Geno's popularity has fluctuated throughout the years, he's one of the few characters Sakurai has openly acknowledged as very popular and requested.

Second, Banjo shows that Nintendo and Sakurai are willing to fight for obscure, fan-favourite options when working with third parties that could bring bigger names. This was one of the most frequent arguments in the now dead Banjo-Steve argument, Steve's inclusion benefits both Nintendo and Microsoft far more than Banjo from a business perspective. For Nintendo, the protagonist of the best-selling game of all time would shift far more fighter's passes than a mascot who hit his peak 19 years ago and has shifted in and out of life ever since. For Microsoft, giving the spotlight to their evergreen cash cow that can be purchased and played on every platform under the sun makes far more sense than trying to sell a budget rom compilation from 2015.

However, in spite of this, Banjo ultimately won out over Steve. The fan-favourite beat out a more lucrative option from a business perspective.

Here's the rub though, Square is not Microsoft. Ever since it became clear the Xbox One would ultimately underperform, Microsoft has been breaking a lot of the standard practices of console manufactures. In 2013, the idea of Microsoft deemphasizing the Xbox brand by focusing on alternative delivery methods and working with direct competitors was almost unthinkable. As such, choosing to work with the relatively risky Banjo over the more conventional Steve isn't that out-there, as Microsoft takes these sort of leaps often. Square, by comparison, is much more by-the-books than Microsoft. They're far more protective of their IPs, adopt new business strategies far slower, and will follow what's proven first and foremost.

However, I still don't think Square opting to use Geno is totally out of the question. Square's two must-have IPs are now in Smash: Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. It makes sense those two would be the first to join the battle, seeing how they single-handled have made Square-Enix into what it is today. Square evades bankruptcy twice by leveraging Final Fantasy, while few would really care about Enix if they weren't the Dragon Quest guys. What happens next for Square and Smash is really up in the air. They could promote one of their smaller franchises like TWEWY or Chrono Trigger, ride off the Nier hypetrain with 2B (although I personally doubt this is the case given that Sakurai and Yoko Taro only met recently), or they could even try to work with the Mouse for Sora. Within these options, bringing back Geno and the rest of Super Mario RPG's cast is a realistic possibility. After all, they were fine with using Geno for one of their two costumes in Smash for Wii U/3DS, when putting in a costume for someone like Slime, Lara Croft, or Sephiroth could also be done.

TL;DR: Banjo is another example of Ultimate's theme of adding highly requested characters. Likewise, he sets the precedent for a fan-favourite beating a better business choice. This benefits Geno. However, Square is much more conventional than Microsoft, meaning they might be scared off by the risk this decision presents. However, Square already has their two big players in, so going outside the box for choice #3 isn't too out there.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
“Obviously they don’t find Bowser worthwhile to add if Ness could get in before him”
This character got in before this character is a bad argument. If a character gets in, they’re in, when or how is only relevant to the mindset of people who want one character to be superior to the other for their own benefit.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
It's better to recieve no acknowledgment and be forgotten entirely?
Better recieving no acknowledgement and remembered by their fans than being acknowledged as a complete loser and being reminded how they're worthless then a common enemy.
Honestly seeing a lot of characters I wanted being Assist Trophies and Mii Costumes when a Piranha Plant was given a playable status made me revalue my assessment of those characters. If a common enemy was deemed more worthy to be playable then why continue supporting, caring or ask for characters that are deemed to be losers from the Smash Bros developers.
I rather never see my favorite characters in Smash Bros than seeing them as a Spirit, Mii Costume or Assist Trophy.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Better recieving no acknowledgement and remembered by their fans than being acknowledged as a complete loser and being reminded how they're worthless then a common enemy.
This character got in before this character is a bad argument. If a character gets in, they’re in, when or how is only relevant to the mindset of people who want one character to be superior to the other for their own benefit.

Honestly seeing a lot of characters I wanted being Assist Trophies and Mii Costumes when a Piranha Plant was given a playable status made me revalue my assessment of those characters. If a common enemy was deemed more worthy to be playable then why continue supporting, caring or ask for characters that are deemed to be losers from the Smash Bros developers.
I rather never see my favorite characters in Smash Bros than seeing them as a Spirit, Mii Costume or Assist Trophy.
Cameos made with great attention to detail are not the equivalent of publicly trashing them like this:
1587354921481.png

One is done for the purposes of fanservice in the absence of time and resources, and the other is literally throwing them into the garbage.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Because the mindset of “why should I like you if it doesn’t result in me getting things my way” is kinda sociopathic and not a healthy foundation to establish affinity.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Lol, nobody agreed to that.

Geno is not in a good place because Square is on top of the gaming world right now. and they KNEW the FF 7 remake was gonna be good.
It'd be perfect, if not for that one thing.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Cameos made with great attention to detail are not the equivalent of publicly trashing them like this:
View attachment 269684

One is done for the purposes of fanservice in the absence of time and resources, and the other is literally throwing them into the garbage.
And the fan service for them sucks. It's bleh and might as well just be the character thrown in the trash.
Because the mindset of “why should I like you if it doesn’t result in me getting things my way” is kinda sociopathic and not a healthy foundation to establish affinity.
They're fictional character.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And the fan service for them sucks. It's bleh and might as well just be the character thrown in the trash.
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a slight against the character. Besides, there are characters that are fighters and Spirits. (and every fighter has a non-equipable Spirit). You're not seriously arguing that they're putting Mario on a pedestal and throwing him in the trash at the same time are you?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
No offense, but that's a really crummy way to look at things.

Sakurai can only add so many characters. Not everyone's favorite is going to get in Smash, and that's just a fact. So what's the next best thing? Adding in the characters who missed out through other means like ATs, Mii costumes, and Spirits. I'd rather have a Smash game where Sakurai can at least acknowledge that my character exists rather than one that excludes them entirely. Who knows? Maybe it'll work out well for my character in the next game. Quite a few of Ultimate's base roster comes from ATs, Final Smashes, and costumes.

It's a little ridiculous for you to be basing all of this on Piranha Plant. I was a little bummed that a cartoony dog and duck duo and a literal yoga instructor got in before Ridley, but that didn't make me want to march over to Sakurai's office and demand that he remove Ridley from the game entirely. Who benefits from that?

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
View attachment 269684

Unrelated, but in light of Teen Titans Go, Thundercats Roar, N52 Lobo trashing the original Lobo...
I think Donkey Kong Country might be the ONLY franchise that got away with replacing their main character with a newer, hipper mascot AND making the old MC the butt of the joke. Hell, said older main character actually became one of the most beloved characters in the series.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
User was warned for this post
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a slight against the character. Besides, there are characters that are fighters and Spirits. (and every fighter has a non-equipable Spirit). You're not seriously arguing that they're putting Mario on a pedestal and throwing him in the trash at the same time are you?
Big difference there is that Mario is actually playable which will always be the most important thing when it comes to Smash Bros. If you're not playable then you're insignificant. Nobody boots up a fighting game so they can see what NPCs are added in, they want to play the game. Also if I, a fan of those characters, don't like what they did to them then it should be viewed as a slight against them since they failed the fan service part.

No offense, but that's a really crummy way to look at things.

Sakurai can only add so many characters. Not everyone's favorite is going to get in Smash, and that's just a fact. So what's the next best thing? Adding in the characters who missed out through other means like ATs, Mii costumes, and Spirits. I'd rather have a Smash game where Sakurai can at least acknowledge that my character exists rather than one that excludes them entirely. Who knows? Maybe it'll work out well for my character in the next game. Quite a few of Ultimate's base roster comes from ATs, Final Smashes, and costumes.

It's a little ridiculous for you to be basing all of this on Piranha Plant. I was a little bummed that a cartoony dog and duck duo and a literal yoga instructor got in before Ridley, but that didn't make me want to march over to Sakurai's office and demand that he remove Ridley from the game entirely. Who benefits from that?
People keep going on on how Sakurai should take a break, so how about we lighten the work load by having him stop wasting time on making Assist Trophies? Not everyone can be playable but I would be fine if they don't bother making them an Assist Trophy because that waste a lot of development time that can literally go anywhere else. I rather they took all that time & money they spent on Assist Trophies and go to a beach and relax, it's a way better use that way. Nothing is beneficial from being an Assist Trophy, in fact most series died after they became Assist Trophies in Brawl because the games featuring those characters that came out a year or two later sold terribly and they never had another game since. Starfy, Golden Sun, and Sin & Punishment, all had game after Brawl and never had another one ever since.

As for your last part, Duck Hunt was one of the corner stone of the NES where they had the game attach with the original Super Mario Bros and Wii Fit was extremely successful that also represented fitness games in Smash Bros roster. Piranha Plant is generic enemy #3, an extremely low pedigree when compared to the other two me thinks. Understandable that the other two gets in, but if you lose to the third enemy that you don't get to see until the second level of the original Super Mario Bros then that character must be considered an extreme loser. So much so that Sakurai rather had thought of how to make a potted plant work as a fighter than waste time thinking of a potential moveset for the other.

RocksteadyBebop

Banned via Warnings
User was warned for this post
but if you lose to the third enemy that you don't get to see until the second level of the original Super Mario Bros then that character must be considered an extreme loser. So much so that Sakurai rather had thought of how to make a potted plant work as a fighter than waste time thinking of a potential moveset for the other.
come on, is this behavior really acceptable. Grow up kid.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
imo it should be clear Sakurai and Nintendo definitely don’t see a character as trash if they bothered to include the character at all, even if they’re not playable. They see them worthwhile to include, but just prioritized others to be playable.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom