• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
All Right Time for round 3!

Pick 3 characters to be in Smash. And make sure you pick 3 characters in the image below instead of naming random characters this time. :chuckle:
Thanks again for everyone’s participation!
Steve, Rayman, and Sans (though I'd prefer Frisk be the rep). Spyro would be cool too, but he isn't happening. His presence in Japan is a joke.

This was a lot easier than the Japan-only list from yesterday. Personally, I don't think there are many more Japanese third-parties I'd be genuinely excited for. Maybe if they revisited an existing franchise like Sonic, but I don't know how likely that is.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Pick 3 characters to be in Smash. And make sure you pick 3 characters in the image below instead of naming random characters this time. :chuckle:
Scorpion, Chief, Steve.

I love Doomguy but I love the Chief a whole lot more.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Doom Guy, Crash Bandicoot and Scorpion. No contest.

D

Deleted member

Steve, Rayman and Willy the Wombat Crash Bandicoot.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

Doomguy, Shantae, Rayman. Amazingly, my Runner-up choice would be... Steve. Yep. I've actually grown on the idea of Steve after once loathing Minecraft and the idea of Steve in Smash (probably because it was still the Banjo/Steve feud and the abomination...) , but I've actually come to respect Minecraft a little better now so I'd actually be okay with Minecraft getting a playable character.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll

It's a tough choice since I like most of these characters, but if I had to narrow it down to three, I'd say Shovel Knight, Steve, and Doom Slayer.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Rayman, Shantae, Doom Slayer.

Literally 3 of my top 5 lol.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That being said, I think Captain Toad's time has passed.
His game came out on Switch after ARMS...

I could be wrong, but I feel like almost every notable Mario character we bring up would have a higher chance of getting in than him.
Other than Toad and Waluigi, there ARE no other notable Mario characters. And Toad is the only one with his own game.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

Steve, Master Chief, and Doom Guy.
I’ve noticed this becoming a trend online, so I figured I’d make my own, because I’m bored.

Pick 3 characters to add to Smash.
I’m actually really curious who the most desired Nintendo characters are nowadays.
Since I didn't vote in the first one, Waluigi, Rex, and Bandanna Dee with apologies to the Captain.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Doomguy, Doom Marine, Doom Slayer.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Crash, Spyro, Lara Croft. Aka the PlayStation classic squad.

Also just to add onto this, Treasure Tracker received DLC like less than a full year ago.

In fact it received three sets of DLC last year...

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Other than Toad and Waluigi, there ARE no other notable Mario characters. And Toad is the only one with his own game.
I know Captain Toad came out afterwards. Reason why I consider it different is because Nintendo has continued to push ARMS for the past three years. Pretty sure we had some sort of demo for ARMS last year too. Captain Toad's game came out, got some promotion up until Christmas of that year, and then that's just about it. His picture might occasionally pop up on a generic ad for an eshop sale or something, but I can't remember the last time Treasure Tracker itself got promoted.

Pauline and Paper Mario are also pretty notable. Whether or not they should be in Smash is debatable, but they're both popular within the Super Mario universe. There's also a few other spin-off characters like Kamek and King Boo, but I will admit that both feel very "bottom of the barrel". Then again, it's not like PP didn't take us there already.

Last edited:

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman

Ordered
Top 3
Rayman
Steve
Shantae

Want
Sans
Master Chief
Shovel Knight
Doomguy
Scorpion

Don't Want but won't be upset
Spyro
Crash
Lara Croft
Tracer

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I know Captain Toad came out afterwards. Reason why I consider it different is because Nintendo has continued to push ARMS for the past three years. Pretty sure we had some sort of demo for ARMS last year too. Captain Toad's game came out, got some promotion up until Christmas of that year, and then that's just about it. His picture might occasionally pop up on a generic ad for an eshop sale or something, but I can't remember the last time Treasure Tracker itself got promoted.
Last year when it got three seperate DLC updates probably. Last one wasn't even a year ago.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Pick 3 characters to be in Smash.
I'll do another tier list:
  • Top 3:
    • Lara-I don't have an attachment to the character, but her iconic status gets me hyped.
    • Master Chief-See above.
    • Shovel Knight-This character would get a big "nice!" from me.
  • Still like them:
    • Steve-I would mostly be happy for my sister, but I would also gain some enjoyment from him.
    • Spyro-I hate Spyro's games, but I really like him as a character. I'd love to play as Ridley's more vibrant cousin that isn't anything like Ridley.
    • Rayman-I'm not a fan of the moveset concepts I've seen for this character as they're incredibly clunky, but I do still like him as a character.
  • Meh:
    • Scorpion-I'm curios to see how he would operate in Super Smash Bros., but Mortal Kombat is too gory for my squeamish self, so I don't really know too much about him. Paradoxically, the idea of a Mortal Kombat character in Smash interests me.
    • Crash-I actually liked Crash's game more than Spyro's, but I like him less as a character.
    • Sans-I have played pretty far into, but not finished, Undertale. To be honest, Sans didn't really stick with me like it was with others. Perhaps it's because I haven't quite finished, and his best moments are at the end, or because my run wasn't exactly spoiler free. I still think he's alright though.
    • Shantae-I haven't been enticed into playing her games yet but I probably will sooner or later. Until then...Her character design is all I have to go on and it doesn't really speak to me.
  • Not for me:
    • Doom's Protagonist-I'm not in Doom's demographic, and Doom has never stuck out to me as Mortal Kombat has so I value it much less.
    • Tracer-I played, like 2 seconds of Overwatch, and I didn't really like it. I guess it didn't feel as fluid to me as the trailers suggested. Or maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, I just foofed around with a few characters in training mode.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Crash, Shantae, Lara Croft.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I am noticing several noteworthy omissions here...:urg:

tbh all of these are somewhere between “indifferent” to “please no” for me

I guess from here I’ll go Scorpion, but he’s the only one I’ve played a game from. Steve could also bring a cool stage. Otherwise I guess Crash.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Easily Steve, Doom Slayer, and Scorpion for me. Coincidentally they have a more "darker" aesthetic.

That, and they all sound fun~

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Now I thought of the proper term. Grittier would be the best way to say it. Akin to how Twilight Princess is.

Hence why darker was in quotation marks. But yeah, confusing statement, heh.
W-What's so gritty about Minecraft? Have I been missing out on deep lore?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
what's so dark about minecraft?
Those poor souls trapped in the Nether, the Illagers' dark magic practices, Endermen's origins, and ruined/drowned civilizations.

but hey that's just a theory A GAM-

-though Jeb did say something about Ravager lore...

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I know Captain Toad came out afterwards. Reason why I consider it different is because Nintendo has continued to push ARMS for the past three years.
The only push ARMS has received in the last two years or so...is getting into Smash. The last DLC for that game came out in 2017.

Treasure Tracker was getting new DLC as recently as last year.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah but "gritty" implies like some sort of rough texture like dirt or wrinkles or something.

Minecraft I feel is relatively smooth and clean.
Only the game cover. His actual design is rough textures. A lot of the game has that style to it, though slightly more colorful than some grittier games. But he's always had a bit of a gritty aesthetic. Sad part is this is actually why some have argued he can't get in, cause he doesn't "fit aesthetically" in Smash. Which never made sense to me. Being grittier or more colorful doesn't really matter. He's already a block man. Can't stand out more than that~

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Only the game cover. His actual design is rough textures. A lot of the game has that style to it, though slightly more colorful than some grittier games. But he's always had a bit of a gritty aesthetic. Sad part is this is actually why some have argued he can't get in, cause he doesn't "fit aesthetically" in Smash. Which never made sense to me. Being grittier or more colorful doesn't really matter. He's already a block man. Can't stand out more than that~
I don't know I found the rough textures to be charming in their own way. I'm not sure if gritty is the true proper word to describe it but I get what you mean. Though that does make me wonder if a Smash interpretation of Steve would use the cover art or the in-game look of Minecraft. The cover art is more smoother looking compared to the in-game model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom