• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Reason I'm kinda casting doubts on Spring Man tbh is due to already being an assist trophy. I'm of the opinion assists won't be promoted and we've never seen it ever happen through Smash. Whenever an character who has been an assist, they became playable later in the next game.

Little Mac in Brawl and Sm4sh.
Isabelle and Dark Samus in Sm4sh and Ultimate.

Why I could see this being the only possible exception with Spring Man eventually being in Smash 6 (If there ever is one).

That said I find spirits more likely to be promoted if anything.

I could be wrong believe me and if I am I'll admit I was.
Well...All official words on the matter say Assist Trophies disconfirm characters. However, because of how important Spring Man is to ARMS as it's face I could see them adding him anyway. I guess we'll just have to see.

This arguing ain't gonna mean **** at the end of the day unless you really wanna rub it in on someone's face the day-of reveal.
Please don't do this if we get an amalgam character. It'll guarantee that I'll hate it regardless of how it works.

EDIT: I don't wanna hate a character.

hey man i did it when captain toad got deconfirmed it was worth it
Captain Toad isn't even disconfirmed though.

Unless it had a Spirit event I don't remember...

Last edited:

MoonTron

Smash Rookie
AEMehr said:
The only fighting Bowser Jr. does is swinging a hammer for three moves, the character is the clown car. The reason WHY the Koopalings are used is because they don't do enough to warrant the model swapping to be a huge visual or game issue. The characters definitely look off model for some poses, but overall they all still feel and move like the Koopalings would.
I think it's far less important trying to explain away the "why" seeing as no one here works on these games. Like you want to say that Jr is just a Clown car, I could say that with how whacky and different ARMs mechanics are a move-set using just the most basic ARMs with a solid effort to incorporate it's unique gameplay features would be more than enough to think that the star of the show would simply be the ARMs and w/e move-set they build around them.

Much more important to accept that it is what it is. You want examples of Smash disregarding canon posing, personas, fighting styles and proportions just for the greater benefit of repping the series or a game? Jr is one such example of many ...

Ganondorf was a late clone addition, how you can compare that to a character planned and built from the ground up is absurd in terms of being "properly represented". Especially when you look at how every new fighter has been treated in Ultimate and it's DLC, it's pretty silly to use that as an argument.
... What?

The question isn't WHY Ganon was a clone, the question is "Does X character look "strange as hell" fighting this way that's completely different to how they were depicted in their game?".

Ganon has a clear and iconic fighting style in the LoZ games. He does NOT look strange to me using the CF move-set (which seems to be based on Karmen Rider/ Power Rangers.). Disappointing? Yes. But it doesn't look "wrong" because they always went through the effort to show his persona through w/e means they could.

Zelda, who didn't fight in OoT, was given the magic items that Link used instead of making up stuff just for her. Her vB is a ref to a completely different Zelda.

List goes on and on, the game/ dev team does a lot of things to rep a series or game above a single character's canon persona or playstyle when building a move-set or bringing them into smash.

But this assumes the fighter is going to be like Mega Man, Villager, or Game & Watch, where they just stuff the one character with EVERYTHING. I don't doubt they're going to be using a selection of ARMS, but they're likely going to just stick to the main Three for the character they pick.
Hmm?
I think you misunderstood me by that. I personally think they're just gonna use ONE (the basic Toaster) and swap it to w/e version best suits the fighter simply for visuals and have the core of the character be the ARMs mechanics. Like how the core, unique theme to the Inklings is the ink gimmick. Ink people to kill them, run outta ink, recharge your ink or be gimped af.
But Inklings can use a good amount of weapons though because some are close-range and would fill out a Smash move-set nicely by making them well rounded. ARMs character can have their core be playing around things like your ARMs breaking down and gimping you if damaged too much or charging up your ARMs with a B move or having your grab be a long ranged high risk move. Maybe B or Side B can be curved or tilted. But nothing in the game is naturally super close range so I wouldn't think swapping ARMs for so-and-so attack is needed. Maybe Megatons for a Smash but really, their gloves are prob big enough for that to be a redundant choice unless they just want to show "It's a SMASH attack" for clarity.

Don't have to give them much more of anything beyond basic toasters to do that imo. In fact I think it could be visually confusing to have them suddenly swap between toasters and poppers and boomerangs and megatons and so on for simple attacks ontop of having mile long punches given that Smash is a 2D PoV game that tries to keep visual clarity.

TBH the only characters I can imagine having a proper transition to Smash are Twin and Min due to their clear silhouettes. The thought of having a character with such big fist and long coils for arms in a 2D fighter ... they're gonna have to have an interesting pose to make what they're doing super clear.

So I'm super excited to so how them make them work.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You say this now, but when Sol, Ragna, Kunio, Misako/Kyoko, and the Lee brothers get added as the rest of FPv2, I'll be the one laughing
I'd never be happier to be proven wrong. Although I'd consider Misako/Kyoko to be overdoing it.

Had Sakurai of gone with Alucard instead.

So much for the protagonist first rule amIrite? Same with how Slime was considered before Hero.
Uh, Alucard IS still a Castlevania protagonist. To the exact same extent that Cloud is.

Well...All official words on the matter say Assist Trophies disconfirm characters.
There are no official words on the matter.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just a few weeks ago people were saying ARMS couldn't get in because it was already represented, and Nintendo/Sakurai was only intrested in expanding the crossover.

It could be someone other than Spring Man, but I don't think the AT thing is a good argument. One, that AT was added before Sakurai even knew there'd be a second pass, and two, if Nintendo is the one calling the shots, then I doubt they'd let an AT stop them from adding a mascot of a series that's not on the roster yet. "That's right, Spring Man is an AT. No working around that. Guess we'll have to use our second option, Ribbon Girl, instead. It's a good thing Mii Costumes and Spirits aren't the same as ATs."

The AT rule may or may not even exist. We're just putting stock into it because it's never happened before, which isn't saying much because this is only the second Smash game with DLC.
Well...All official words on the matter say Assist Trophies disconfirm characters. However, because of how important Spring Man is to ARMS as it's face I could see them adding him anyway. I guess we'll just have to see.

Please don't do this if we get an amalgam character. It'll guarantee that I'll hate it regardless of how it works.

EDIT: I don't wanna hate a character.

Captain Toad isn't even disconfirmed though.

Unless it had a Spirit event I don't remember...
The one thing I wonder is if they do Spring Man (Maybe Ribbon Girl as an echo fighter to boot) is if they'll replace him with Springtron as his assist trophy.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Cosmic does have an point there. If assists can't be promoted then Ribbon Girl is the next choice as after him she's seen as the mascot of the series. This would probably be the only time the exceptional rule occurs.

Otherwise if they can I can see him coming with her as an Echo and Springtron taking his place as an assist.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
He's a background character in the Odyssey stage.
you mean like how Toon Link's a background character in the Spirit Train stage?

Or how Dedede's a background character on the Dream Land stage?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
He's a background character in the Odyssey stage.
Background cameos don't disconfirm characters though. The cameos of playable characters aren't even dealt with consistently.

EDIT: Sometimes the character is replaced by someone else (Spirit Train), sometimes they're removed (Dream Land), and sometimes they aren't dealt with at all (Duck Hunt).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

You are aware these happened after the character was playable in the previous game, right?

It's not exactly a great example. How often were BG characters shown and then the character was shown playable for the first time in the same game? The answer is none.

I don't think they disconfirm, mind you, just saying the analogy doesn't work due to the context.

...Lol. I forgot about Duck Hunt. Yeah, never mind. Though my guess is it depends upon how important the BG character is. It doesn't necessarily mean anything for the playable character. It seems to be purely contextual.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Background cameos don't disconfirm characters though. The cameos of playable characters aren't even dealt with consistently.

EDIT: Sometimes the character is replaced by someone else (Spirit Train), sometimes they're removed (Dream Land), and sometimes they aren't dealt with at all (Duck Hunt).
I was talking about for the base game during speculation 2 years ago, you guys need to chill on trying to lecture me. :127:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Captain Toad isn't really an important part of New Donk City Hall. If they wanted him to be playable, all they really have to do is copy exactly what they did with Knuckles's AT and Green Hill Zone.

That being said, I think Captain Toad's time has passed. Nintendo stopped talking about the remake a long time ago, and while it does seem like they value him as a character, I don't think they're intrested in continuing his series.

I could be wrong, but I feel like almost every notable Mario character we bring up would have a higher chance of getting in than him.

Cosmic does have an point there. If assists can't be promoted then Ribbon Girl is the next choice as after him she's seen as the mascot of the series. This would probably be the only time the exceptional rule occurs.

Otherwise if they can I can see him coming with her as an Echo and Springtron taking his place as an assist.
I kind of wrote that as a joke. If adding a mascot is what's most important to Nintendo when choosing an ARMS character, then why not just go ahead and add Spring Man?

It's silly how much power they'd be giving to a single AT.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You are aware these happened after the character was playable in the previous game, right?

It's not exactly a great example. How often were BG characters shown and then the character was shown playable for the first time in the same game? The answer is none.

I don't think they disconfirm, mind you, just saying the analogy doesn't work due to the context.
I feel like that's goalpost moving though. All three examples show that fighters and stage cameos can coexist. Just because they've never done it retroactively doesn't mean that they can't or won't. There are many reasons why Captain Toad probably won't be DLC, but I don't think his rare, blink and you miss it cameo is one of them.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Its finally settled then. As I'm of the opinion assists can't be promoted until proven otherwise my prediction who the ARMS fighter will be is Ribbon Girl.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel like that's goalpost moving though. All three examples show that fighters and stage cameos can coexist. Just because they've never done it retroactively doesn't mean that they can't or won't. There are many reasons why Captain Toad probably won't be DLC, but I don't think his rare, blink and you miss it cameo is one of them.
I think you missed my edit. Duck Hunt proved that point I made wrong.

Though to be fair, I think that's why context does play a role too. Duck Hunt is a set of sprites that doesn't interfere with the character differences. Toon Link is actually the same character in Smash as the one on the Spirit Train, so it makes sense to switch 'em out. King Dedede was pointless.

I think it's best to say Sakurai just follows his own idea of how the stage cameos work.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
That being said, I think Captain Toad's time has passed. Nintendo stopped talking about the remake a long time ago, and while it does seem like they value him as a character, I don't think they're intrested in continuing his series.
To be fair, before the reveal, most people (myself included) thought ARMS's time has passed. I don't think he's happening, but I don't think he can be written off like that.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Its finally settled then. As I'm of the opinion assists can't be promoted until proven otherwise my prediction who the ARMS fighter will be is Ribbon Girl.
I'm of a similar mindset, though I believe this may be where we get proven otherwise.

I think you missed my edit. Duck Hunt proved that point I made wrong.

Though to be fair, I think that's why context does play a role too. Duck Hunt is a set of sprites that doesn't interfere with the character differences. Toon Link is actually the same character in Smash as the one on the Spirit Train, so it makes sense to switch 'em out. King Dedede was pointless.

I think it's best to say Sakurai just follows his own idea of how the stage cameos work.
Technically it didn't because it was simultaneously and not retroactively, but yeah, I missed your edit, and yeah, I think your conclusion is sound, especially considering the three entirely different ways it was handled for entirely different reasons.

I bet you King Dedede's case was a case of the programmer throwing it in there because they felt like it rather than a request from Sakurai.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Technically it didn't because it was simultaneously and not retroactively, but yeah, I missed your edit, and yeah, I think your conclusion is sound, especially considering the three entirely different ways it was handled for entirely different reasons.

I bet you King Dedede's case was a case of the programmer throwing it in there because they felt like it rather than a request from Sakurai.
That makes sense. I could see Sakurai having some bias for his own franchise too, of course. I mean, he's talked about it(including trying to not include too much Kirby content in Melee to not be seen as biased. ...Though that might've been a rumor) before in general.

The odd thing is that Duck Hunt's stage was actually revealed proper after we had Duck Hunt via the 3DS version. The stage was shown later on in the trailer, as it was Wii U first. But either way, the character and the stage were revealed officially at the same time. So it doesn't even count as a "character first" situation.

Besides, there's also the 75m stage. Sure, that's arguably Cranky Kong, but at this point it's just a silly fan rule. So it doesn't mean anything. I could see a stage hazard(A.K.A. Stage Boss) being more meaningful, but even Ridley could be removed from Pyrosphere due to 8-Player Smash, so they had a solution if they really wanted to make him playable as is. Which wasn't the case till Ultimate, but yeah.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To be fair, before the reveal, most people (myself included) thought ARMS's time has passed. I don't think he's happening, but I don't think he can be written off like that.
I didn't think ARMS would get in either, but they've never stopped promoting it in tweets and on their website. They're still doing free trials after three years. An ARMS character made sense in that regard, even though I never would've thought they care enough to request that it get a character in Smash.

Captain Toad pops up from time to time, but I haven't seen anything specifically promoting his game in a really long time. I don't know of they'd add him before Geno and Waluigi (highly requested), Paper Mario (may have an upcoming game), or even Pauline (already appearing in Mario spin-offs like Mario Tennis and Mario Kart).

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Duck hunt likely stayed on the stage because he has a functional purpose on said stage (you can stand on him while he's there), the other changing stage cameos are just background elements so they could be axed without impacting the stage.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Besides, there's also the 75m stage.
I completely forgot about 75M...

We'll find out in June. Just 8-9 weeks away.
My hopes are one of these four situations (in order of how much I want them):
  1. Customizable ARMS character. This way multiple characters can be added without sacrificing their unique qualities or forcing them to share them.
  2. Spring Man and Ribbon Girl (Σ). Same as the top, but it may cause issues with other characters if they don't come with Echo Fighters, especially if they have good Echo Fighter material.
  3. Just Spring Man. The perfect solo representative for ARMS, though people will be upset due to the guessing game.
  4. Just Min Min. Not as good as Spring Man, but I do think she's acceptable given the circumstances. I really hope this option doesn't cause Ramen Bowl to be our stage though. Green Hill Zone, but different stuff happens isn't all that interesting in my opinion.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Cause it's an awful stage? XD
Yeah. I only play on it when I'm screwing around, and even then I'm more likely to pick New Pork City or something. Legit, I think the only time I've played on it in Ultimate was to get certain Spirits (Pauline is the only one I remember, but I don't think it's the only one in World of Light that uses that stage).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
kind of a nitpick here, but Spirit Train uses Alfonzo for ANY Link, not just Toon Link
it's not even consistent with itself
Poor Hero of Spirits/Trains/Whatever can't ever be allowed to unite with the Hero of Winds, Twilight, Time or the Wild...

At least give Toon Link the Engineer outfit as an alt....

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
There are still people arguing we'll get a free bonus Fighter by arguing Piranha Plant was free DLC, like... bruh, he was an early purchase bonus, you have to pay for him these days.

Anyways, I'm gonna update my prediction to either Dr. Coyle, Max Brass or Helix
Max Brass would be a complimentary villain to the Spring Man Assist, so they've got the main hero and villain in there.
Coyle would do that too, plus she could use all the ARMS without it feeling out of character and is arguably the most important character in the game.
Helix is very fitting for Smash due to his mobility and fits the theme of stretchiness that ARMS centers itself around. The most thematically appropriate IMO.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Saw this on Twitter and I thought the rest of you would enjoy this. It's fantastic:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
All Right Time for round 3!

Pick 3 characters to be in Smash. And make sure you pick 3 characters in the image below instead of naming random characters this time. :chuckle:
Thanks again for everyone’s participation!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Pick 3 characters to be in Smash. And make sure you pick 3 characters in the image below instead of naming random characters this time. :chuckle:
WHO CAN'T TELL ME WHO I CAN OR CAN'T PICK!!!!!

Anyway, Crash, Spyro, Steve.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Crash, Spyro, Master Chief.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Steve, Crash, Master Chief

real talk, there were a lotta good ones here

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom