• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I’m still angry over that. Justice for Daenerys Targaryen. Built her up for 7.5 seasons and in the last two episodes said “Haha jk, she’s been crazy all along and you guys just didn’t see it.”
I know it's off topic, but I can't help it: That was problem of the show. So far in the books there are a lot more of hints and foreshadowing about her potential "madness".
The problem is considering her as a good character and when I say good, I mean being part of the "good guys". It's not like she's evil or something, but she is a lot more of a grey character in the books (even if it's subtle) than in the show.
She was super popular in the show and they gradually depicted her as someone that couldn't do anything wrong, to put it in a way, and even when she did some questionable things the show always tried to mask all of that with triumphal music and dragons. In the end that lefts the impression that she's "one of the good characters, so I'll support her because she only wants justice and clearly she won't do bad things".

Even with that, in the show you could find some lines from Dany where she outright encourages her army to kill and burn all of their enemies. She does some good things in the first seasons, but it's obvious that she reaches a point where she easily loses her composure in certain situations. The thing is, that development was super quick and poorly executed, and that's the problem.
Well, also a minor problem is she had a lot of fans assuming she was an angel and that she would end having a happy ending, but that's mostly because of the show's depiction of Dany.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I wonder if the ARMS character they choose will come with their home stage or another stage. I think it's likely that it will be their home stage but if for some reason it isn't, Sky Arena is another possibility since it's the finale of Tournament Mode. It also seems to be the easiest stage to translate over into Smash since most of the ARMS stages are walled-in but Sky Arena is not.
I think the stage is going to be either Sky Arena, or Spring Stadium regardless of who's picked. Spring Stadium is the most shown off stage, and Sky Arena is the easiest to work with since it doesn't have the crowd on all sides, and every character has a significant battle there due to it being the last classic mode stage.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I know it's off topic, but I can't help it: That was problem of the show. So far in the books there are a lot more of hints and foreshadowing about her potential "madness".
The problem is considering her as a good character and when I say good, I mean being part of the "good guys". It's not like she's evil or something, but she is a lot more of a grey character in the books (even if it's subtle) than in the show.
She was super popular in the show and they gradually depicted her as someone that couldn't do anything wrong, to put it in a way, and even when she did some questionable things the show always tried to mask all of that with triumphal music and dragons. In the end that lefts the impression that she's "one of the good characters, so I'll support her because she only wants justice and clearly she won't do bad things".

Even with that, in the show you could find some lines from Dany where she outright encourages her army to kill and burn all of their enemies. She does some good things in the first seasons, but it's obvious that she reaches a point where she easily loses her composure in certain situations. The thing is, that development was super quick and poorly executed, and that's the problem.
Well, also a minor problem is she had a lot of fans assuming she was an angel and that she would end having a happy ending, but that's mostly because of the show's depiction of Dany.
Had it been more fleshed out on the show, I wouldn’t have an issue, but it was literally like flipping a switch. Every character in that series, good or bad or grey area, has blood on their hands for a plethora of different reasons.

I am a fan of hers and I just felt blindsided by the whole thing. I’ve never read the books though so there’s that. All I’m saying is, even if she is mad, she endured A LOT before letting it get to her. She lost her home, her family, was sold, beaten, *****, lost her husband and child, lost two of her children in her dragons, betrayed, used, mocked, lost her best friend and her guardian. It’s a lot. I think the good she did far outweighed the bad up until the end when she snapped. She was killing people that deserved it until she torched King’s Landing.

Maybe I’m just blinded in my adoration for her. I knew Game of Thrones wouldn’t have a happy ending, but I wasn’t expecting that.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Reminds me of that yeet-guy who kept praising Banjo as, like, the only worthy addition of the first pass, and insisted that the pass must end on a bang, because trust him, he knows marketing. For FP5, he also kept saying that it'd be Master Chief.

Last I checked, he's still banned from a bit before Byleth's actual reveal. I honestly can't help but to feel a certain morbid curiosity about what his reaction to that reveal must've been like.
I think it's pretty clear they do them in anti-climatic order (and I guess that guy probably figured it out after Byleth). You could argue where the peak was (Joker or Banjo/Hero) but it's clear they start stronger. This is why people think you can tell a lot about the rest of the characters from the first.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think it's pretty clear they do them in anti-climatic order (and I guess that guy probably figured it out after Byleth). You could argue where the peak was (Joker or Banjo/Hero) but it's clear they start stronger. This is why people think you can tell a lot about the rest of the characters from the first.
It may also be the main reason for the theory that the ARMS character wasn't supposed to be revealed first.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It may also be the main reason for the theory that the ARMS character wasn't supposed to be revealed first.
Sounds like a justification really. I mentioned it before, but it's unlikely ARMS wasn't suppose to be first. More likely ARMS was always meant to be the first character to be released in April. They would have shown them around the time the physical Fighter Pass cards released (PapaGeno goes over it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9DwI3e7J9w&t=300s ) and when Joker was originally announced. It's also 3 months after the release of Byleth. If you consider they made the video for them in November, then it's about six month in April, about the time it takes to make a character.

I think people also assume that ARMS was pushed up because of how they announced it, but it's more likely they weren't ready to show the character and they wanted to show something to people who have already purchased Fighter Pass Vol 2. They also couldn't completely shift their time table that quickly so it's likely ARMS was the character that was delayed.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
"ARMS wasn't first!" is a dumb theory in all honesty.

There's no way Sakurai wouldn't have met with whoever he needed to see before the coronavirus epidemic. Anything that could've caused a delay wouldn't be a problem specific to this character; it would apply to all characters. Even if we ignore this logic and assume that the orginal first character was indeed delayed, how the heck is Sakurai supposed to whip together a character who was planned for later by June? That's barely four months, and if he couldn't make Mewtwo that fast, how am I expected to believe he could do it with a completely orginal character?

My advice to the people who believe any of this is to calm down. Why does anyone even believe the first character decides the theme of the pass? Outside the last character never being huge, Smash has never had a pattern with its reveals. The pattern of the DLC for Smash 4 was nothing like the one in the first Fighter Pass. If the first character indicates what the entire pass will be like, then what did Mewtwo and Lucas say?

D

Deleted member

Reminds me of that yeet-guy who kept praising Banjo as, like, the only worthy addition of the first pass, and insisted that the pass must end on a bang, because trust him, he knows marketing. For FP5, he also kept saying that it'd be Master Chief.

Last I checked, he's still banned from a bit before Byleth's actual reveal. I honestly can't help but to feel a certain morbid curiosity about what his reaction to that reveal must've been like.
If he didn't get banned before Byleth's reveal, he was definitely getting banned after. I assume that much.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I’m still angry over that. Justice for Daenerys Targaryen. Built her up for 7.5 seasons and in the last two episodes said “Haha jk, she’s been crazy all along and you guys just didn’t see it.”
I didn't completely mind how it ended. It needed to be drawn out - they did need to make the last two seasons into full seasons, and just add the rest as character dialogue. The second episode was probably the best of season 8, and all it was was characters sitting around and talking.

It was really obvious they were rushing.

But anyway, about her... All of my friends know what I thought of her, and they knew I was hoping for that ending since I started watching.
Had it been more fleshed out on the show, I wouldn’t have an issue, but it was literally like flipping a switch. Every character in that series, good or bad or grey area, has blood on their hands for a plethora of different reasons.

I am a fan of hers and I just felt blindsided by the whole thing. I’ve never read the books though so there’s that. All I’m saying is, even if she is mad, she endured A LOT before letting it get to her. She lost her home, her family, was sold, beaten, *****, lost her husband and child, lost two of her children in her dragons, betrayed, used, mocked, lost her best friend and her guardian. It’s a lot. I think the good she did far outweighed the bad up until the end when she snapped. She was killing people that deserved it until she torched King’s Landing.

Maybe I’m just blinded in my adoration for her. I knew Game of Thrones wouldn’t have a happy ending, but I wasn’t expecting that.
This is exactly what I've seen. People who liked her thought it came out of nowhere, but people who didn't saw it coming the whole time.

I hated her almost from the beginning. She was okay in the first season, then she got this obnoxious messiah complex around Qarth and became Mary Sue with Dragons. I groaned every time she was onscreen. And because I didn't like her, it was a lot easier to see her flaws. She just used everyone around her and discarded them when they were not useful, she executed people in the name of justice without a second thought (that was literally a plot point with Hizdahr), she spent her whole life caring only about a home she'd never seen rather than the people in front of her. Seriously, if you removed the name and said "The royal kills a nobleman with dragonfire to scare him and then finds a different noble and forces them to marry for solely political reasons while they sleep with their young mercenary captain, all the while ignoring the loyal adivsor that has loved them from afar," that sounds like your typical Evil King story.

What she needed though was a trigger. Really all I needed was for her to look down from the dragon and see the commoners running and screaming for Cersei to help, and then she could just give a "**** this, I'm done" and torch the place.

I don't like how the show tried to shill some characters. They removed most of Tyrion's shades of grey, and then he turned into a complete imbecile when he got to Meereen so they could shill Dany. Honestly the darker characters are more interesting - most of the Starks got way better once they started to let their darker sides come out.

-----

Ok, let me stay on topic.

My biggest question about the ARMS character is why they didn't just give a name? You would think they would at least have had a model or something to show - remember for Sm4sh we saw Mewtwo's model in October and he didn't pop until April?

I guess they want us to talk about it, but there are only 15 or so choices. Why not just say "Springman" or whoever? That makes me think that there probably will be a multi-character. We may have all of these fanrules, but the rest of the world really won't care to speculate for 2 whole months about whether we get springy jock or noodle waifu or whatever other dismissive name we want to throw out.

That or that they're even gonna come out with something off-the-wall like an ARMS 2 or something with a new character...who'll be in Smash...?

I don't know if I buy any of these timeline theories. Plausible, but what does that do for anything? People were saying that it was likely that Byleth was supposed to be season 2, and now we're suggesting that ARMS was moved up? Why? What does it matter?

All of the planning for the characters is done. The characters have been chosen, so it's not likely that the quarantine is going to make them pick a different character. I wouldn't be surprised if they've already finished FP6 and 7 already and are just balancing - if the quarantine is going to affect any character making, it's probably #9 that's getting hit the worst.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Person A: Geno will be our third Square Enix rep!
Person B: No, it’s clearly 2B because she’s the most popular!
Person C: It’s gotta be Lara! She has the legacy!
Me: cries in Neku whose game was a hit on the Nintendo DS - if you want another DS generation rep after Lucario he’s perfect but nobody here cares about TWEWY :c
If you want my honest opinion as a Geno fan, I think Neku is the next deserving SE character to be in Smash if I had to live with the fact that Geno will never get into this game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If you want my honest opinion as a Geno fan, I think Neku is the next deserving SE character to be in Smash if I had to live with the fact that Geno will never get into this game.
kinda quoted an old post of mine there but i agree, esp since we MAY see a TWEWY sequel soonish

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
"ARMS wasn't first!" is a dumb theory in all honesty.

There's no way Sakurai wouldn't have met with whoever he needed to see before the coronavirus epidemic. Anything that could've caused a delay wouldn't be a problem specific to this character; it would apply to all characters. Even if we ignore this logic and assume that the orginal first character was indeed delayed, how the heck is Sakurai supposed to whip together a character who was planned for later by June? That's barely four months, and if he couldn't make Mewtwo that fast, how am I expected to believe he could do it with a completely orginal character?

My advice to the people who believe any of this is to calm down. Why does anyone even believe the first character decides the theme of the pass? Outside the last character never being huge, Smash has never had a pattern with its reveals. The pattern of the DLC for Smash 4 was nothing like the one in the first Fighter Pass. If the first character indicates what the entire pass will be like, then what did Mewtwo and Lucas say?
Sakurai did say that he's not able to visit companies to show off how the character is coming along, so he probably didn't have time to do that before epidemic. Plus it doesn't seem too far fetch on a scenario like that.
Well there is a possibility that the team is currently working on a couple of characters at the same time with the character that was slated to be released first would have the most focus on from the team. Good chance that they were able to take focus off of the first third party character that they wanted to release first and focus on ARMS instead since that's a Nintendo owned property and they could control who gets to see it within their own company while it could get leaked if Sakurai sends it digitally to another company.

I also think that it's very possible that ARMS wasn't meant to be the first fighter because of the way it was announced. It felt last minute while not really showing anything. With the way it was announced makes me wonder why Sakurai just didn't say an ARMS character was happening at the end of Byleth's reveal when he showed off that there was going to be six fighters. It's would've had the same effect, maybe a little better since they would've had some kind of information for the Fighters Pass Vol 2 upfront instead of keeping silent about it for two months just to be silent about it for another three months. With a lackluster reveal, especially coming after Sakurai knew there was going to be backlash about Byleth and had to address in one of his columns, kind of shows that this pandemic is having some kind of effect during their development. The fact that we had to have a Mini Direct and Nintendo barely showed any of their first party titles for the coming year is also telling how COVID-19 is affecting Nintendo and their development.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
if nintendo chose the characters then wouldn't the deal have already been done with third parties? :drshrug:

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I mean...*I* saw it.

Like,
from the moment she burned herself alive with her eggs and her family's bodies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai did say that he's not able to visit companies to show off how the character is coming along, so he probably didn't have time to do that before epidemic. Plus it doesn't seem too far fetch on a scenario like that.
Well there is a possibility that the team is currently working on a couple of characters at the same time with the character that was slated to be released first would have the most focus on from the team. Good chance that they were able to take focus off of the first third party character that they wanted to release first and focus on ARMS instead since that's a Nintendo owned property and they could control who gets to see it within their own company while it could get leaked if Sakurai sends it digitally to another company.

I also think that it's very possible that ARMS wasn't meant to be the first fighter because of the way it was announced. It felt last minute while not really showing anything. With the way it was announced makes me wonder why Sakurai just didn't say an ARMS character was happening at the end of Byleth's reveal when he showed off that there was going to be six fighters. It's would've had the same effect, maybe a little better since they would've had some kind of information for the Fighters Pass Vol 2 upfront instead of keeping silent about it for two months just to be silent about it for another three months. With a lackluster reveal, especially coming after Sakurai knew there was going to be backlash about Byleth and had to address in one of his columns, kind of shows that this pandemic is having some kind of effect during their development. The fact that we had to have a Mini Direct and Nintendo barely showed any of their first party titles for the coming year is also telling how COVID-19 is affecting Nintendo and their development.
The company he was not able to visit was Nintendo. All he said about them was they were a publisher. Nintendo fits that build as well.

While yes, they would be working on a couple of characters at a time, they still have a timeframe in order to make sure they release within a timely fashion. This seems to be 2-3 months. So they can't just go ahead and upheave this. It makes more sense to push everything back rather than trying to change it around. So if a third party character was first, they would have just delayed that character and show them off at E3 like they are going to do now with the ARMS character. Also, keep in mind the same issue would arise for the ARMS character. Sakurai can't as easily talk to Nintendo or the development team as he had done before.

The reason for the weird reveal is simple. They wanted to announce something even though the character wasn't ready. This is basically meeting people halfway. As I said, this pass has been out since Jan. so they couldn't keep customers in the dark for long. Announcing the series was a good way to do it. This is also why he didn't announce ARMS at the end of Byleth's reveal. There wasn't issues of delays in Jan so they were going to show it off at the next Direct.

I think the "We were totally going to have a hype third party character but they got delayed so ARMS" is just fan theories. More likely case is ARMS was first and it got pushed back with everything else.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
That or that they're even gonna come out with something off-the-wall like an ARMS 2 or something with a new character...who'll be in Smash...?
An ARMS 2 character is so dumb. What makes anyone think that would be a smart idea? You show off a character that nobody have seen for an upcoming game and two seconds later announce that that character is in Smash Bros as paid DLC, that's a horrible decision. Smash Bros has so much appeal because it's filled with characters that have a history, characters that people know about. That's why people get excited with these reveals. By putting in a character who's game isn't even released and is only known by the public for like a minute is a terrible move, especially when you're charging $6 for it. When a characters gets into Smash Bros many who don't know the character at the very least gets interested in them and try to learn about them, but you can't learn about a character who's game isn't released to the public. Characters at the very least should be established for Smash Bros, going so far as to getting that unique character in Smash at the same time of revealing the new game is putting the cart before the horse. We learn how bad this can be just from PSABR.

The only way having something like that would be acceptable would be if it's an already establish character but given a new design. Hypothetically let's say that Ridley's design that used for Smash Bros was based off of Prime 4 which hasn't been shown off, that's okay because it's an established character. As long as the character is still the same but given an a little redesign people will be more possitive towards it then having a new character who hasn't been establish. Other examples could be like using NHM3 Travis' design or if Min Min gets a small design character in ARMS 2 to show that she's the champion in that game, these are way more acceptable because they're characters that people already know about and can learn about whenever they want.

It's honestly the worst idea to have a character who's only been known about for 2 minutes to be in Smash Bros. That's not what Smash Bros is about, and it would be the least fun thing they could ever do when it comes to Smash Bros announcements. Remember, many Smash Bros announcement are great because it makes you guess "who's it going to be?" If the answer is "a character that you would never know as of now because they're not established yet since they're game isn't revealed" betrays how Smash Bros has handled itself in terms of it's trailers.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The theory posits that an ARMS character wasn't the first choice for FP6, hence why they're releasing later than usual, which implies, as per the previous pace, that the intended release would be around now. But any character ready to launch around now would be in such final stages of development that almost all the work would've been completed prior to the virus becoming prohibitive to work, and it wouldn't necessitate any substantial delay, much less a re-ordering.

The theory doesn't make sense.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
When Byleth was revealed, I heard, "Well maybe we got Byleth early and they pushed back whoever they were actually going to reveal to the second pass so we could start it off with someone really big. Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think happened."

Then ARMS gets revealed, and I hear, "Fan theory time! ARMS wasn't really first. The coronavirus delayed the real first fighter, so Sakurai had to use someone else. Makes sense to me."

Feels like a lot of people have convinced themselves that there has to be a very specific reason for why we got a Nintendo character instead of the oh-so-exciting third-party that was definitely delayed for some reason. Yeah, I'm sure we're getting more third-parties, but these theories feel outlandish and baseless when you consider the total lack of evidence to support said theories.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It also helps that the only two characters in a similar position to the ARMS 2 idea are Corrin(who was not met well among fans but had at least a game out) and Byleth(who did have the game out worldwide this time, but was also not met well). ARMS 2 isn't outright a bad idea, if it weren't for how they effectively advertising ARMS 1's set of characters, implying it has to be one of them. They already put information our way to make the guess somewhat easier. Going entirely against what they showed is a terrible idea for PR. If it was an ARMS 2 character, they'd not only have to avoid that entire image, but using the logo for ARMS 1 is also questionable(though the logo might not change for the second game, but it's a lot different from showing us a clear set of choices we're meant to expect).

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
The theory posits that an ARMS character wasn't the first choice for FP6, hence why they're releasing later than usual, which implies, as per the previous pace, that the intended release would be around now. But any character ready to launch around now would be in such final stages of development that almost all the work would've been completed prior to the virus becoming prohibitive to work, and it wouldn't necessitate any substantial delay, much less a re-ordering.

The theory doesn't make sense.
Unless it wasn't ready to release until June. I doubt anyone would think any character would be ready this soon, hell Joker took five months to release so why would anyons think Fighter 6 be ready any time soon? Also one thing to emphasize is Fighter 6 is being revealed in June, nothing said anything about them releasing in June. Honestly with many things just not getting a proper reveal, like they don't have an ARMS character trailer ready yet, lean to people thinking that something had to be put on hold.

D

Deleted member

I don’t think the ARMS character is going to be the protagonist from an ARMS 2.
IMO That would be like getting Rock Howard before Terry Bogard as the Fatal Fury rep.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Unless it wasn't ready to release until June. I doubt anyone would think any character would be ready this soon, hell Joker took five months to release so why would anyons think Fighter 6 be ready any time soon? Also one thing to emphasize is Fighter 6 is being revealed in June, nothing said anything about them releasing in June. Honestly with many things just not getting a proper reveal, like they don't have an ARMS character trailer ready yet, lean to people thinking that something had to be put on hold.
Why would people think FP6 would be ready any time soon? Because they don't develop DLC one character at a time, and the previous schedule was a character every two-and-a-half to three months, roughly.

Joker was no exception in development time, just reveal strategy - being revealed far earlier into development than the other characters. But Joker released about two and a half months after PP, and about three before Hero, so he wasn't an exception.

It's not like they just decided to make more DLC after Byleth, the decision was likely made fairly soon into the first pass. So predicting that there wouldn't be a significant gap between FP5 and 6 would be logically sound theoretically, but it just isn't the case. Though not for viral reasons.

Also they did say FP6 will be both revealed and released in June.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Isn't there a theory that Spring Man is actually the son of Max Brass and Dr. Coyle?
according to the comic preview, Spring Man is a title that was originally held by his father who looks like him but with green hair so that theory's instantly bunk

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
First, they said the next fighter will be released in June assuming no other delays.

The reason the character could have been released sooner is that they likely started development in November. Byleth's showcase was recorded around then so it would have been 5-6 months in April. The reason they don't have a trailer is because the character wasn't ready. FP6 was always meant to be an ARMS character.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People who theorize that ARMS wasn't meant to be first fighter just goes to show how salty people still are that their precious little third party wasn't the big opener, like this was Nintendo's backup plan or something. :smirk: Their high IQ brains can't fathom the possibility that they just opened with ARMS cause they wanted to.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
"ARMS 2 lead" is another thing some fans are clinging onto because it'd be the only possible ARMS rep that wouldn't break any "rules"

Wouldn't upgrade an assist trophy
Wouldn't upgrade a spirit
Wouldn't include a side character before the lead/mascot

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
"ARMS 2 lead" is another thing some fans are clinging onto because it'd be the only possible ARMS rep that wouldn't break any "rules"

Wouldn't upgrade an assist trophy
Wouldn't upgrade a spirit
Wouldn't include a side character before the lead/mascot
Its also another possible promotion given:ultcorrin:and:ultbyleth:

Plus Nintendo is choosing.

Also as I stated above watch that it'll be the son/daughter of Spring Man and Ribbon Girl.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Why would people think FP6 would be ready any time soon? Because they don't develop DLC one character at a time, and the previous schedule was a character every two-and-a-half to three months, roughly.

Joker was no exception in development time, just reveal strategy - being revealed far earlier into development than the other characters. But Joker released about two and a half months after PP, and about three before Hero, so he wasn't an exception.

It's not like they just decided to make more DLC after Byleth, the decision was likely made fairly soon into the first pass. So predicting that there wouldn't be a significant gap between FP5 and 6 would be logically sound theoretically, but it just isn't the case. Though not for viral reasons.

Also they did say FP6 will be both revealed and released in June.
Okay, missed the part on it being released in June, but if the the usual release is 2 to 3 months and the next character is releasing 5 months after Byleth then something is up. I don't care if they're switching the character order or if ARMS was meant to be the first reveal (they made way dumber decisions before this) but kind of weird how they got nothing for ARMS reveal. I can see were people are coming from on this, it makes more sense than the Byleth being Season 2 crap.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Its also another possible promotion given:ultcorrin:and:ultbyleth:

Plus Nintendo is choosing.

Also as I stated above watch that it'll be the son/daughter of Spring Man and Ribbon Girl.
The difference here is, outside of the fact that ARMS 2 is nothing more then speculation currently unlike Fates and TH, you can represent ARMs 2 with the current cast. Unlike Corrin or Byleth, who do not share a protagonist with the previous games, a hypothetical ARMs 2 would likely share the same cast, and thus important players in it like Spring Man and Ribbon Girl or popular ones like Twintelle and Min Min are likely going to still be present. Another Corrin isn't really necessary since you don't have to reach into the future to represent the game, the characters you can use are still in the original and probably will still exist in a sequel. It's especially the case when the initial unveiling of an ARMs character uses the original cast rather then hinting at anyone new, so it makes more sense to lean towards an older character that's established getting the nod then a newer one.

Also, Nintendo would have good reason to choose an older character. A popular/notable character from a new IP that did have a good amount of success and want to have more success for is still going to get them the attention they want. A newer character is not going to move the needle much, especially since a hypothetical sequel would probably keep the big cast members between games.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Despite what a lot of people would say, choosing Spring Man isn't misleading. The way they presented it may have gotten our hopes up for someone else, but Spring Man still fulfills everything they promised us and fits with the images shown in the Direct.

Choosing an ARMS 2 rep though? That's misleading. No footage of this alleged ARMS 2 game was shown during the announcement, and every character that we saw was from the orginal. To say, "Surprise!! It's none of these characters!!" is very dishonest. That kind of trolling would make bizarre fan theories more prevalent than they are right now.

To sum it up nice and sweet, no, we're probably not getting an ARMS 2 character. Take what they said at face value.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
What I'm curious about is how they're gonna balance the ARMS character's range, especially if they're gonna be able to outrange the Belmonts and Byleth's Arendbar like Spring Man's assist trophy can. There's three ways I can see them going about this:

1. Double down on how they balanced the Belmonts: even more reach, even worse frame data.
2. Keep the long range and have decent frame data, but give them a very subpar damage output.
3. Do what their source material does, letting their arms get damaged and thusly losing their effectiveness, making it easy to punish players who try to abuse their long range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom