• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetectiveSS

Smash Cadet
Reminder back in the Box Theory era and how that proved to be right. The same could be here for it to be revealed to be Spring Man.

That's who I'm thinking at this point but coming with Ribbon Girl as an echo fighter.
I’m glad somebody finally said it. I really don’t understand why everyone acts as if Nintendo is some sort of “master of deception” and we can’t take anything they say at face value when that is nowhere near the case.

Saying that Nintendo wouldn’t do this just to make it Spring Man isn’t a good argument because it’s absolutely something they would do and have done before. Everyone thought that there would be more than two characters left because there was “no way” Nintendo would just reveal that with the box. The same goes with the number of stages. What do you know, there were two characters left and exactly the number of stages they said there would be.

Don’t even get me started on Byleth and how that only reinforces the point. I’m not saying Nintendo can’t surprise us, but something being “too obvious” isn’t a point against it.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Tbqh, this environment is much more nicer than before the Mini-Direct and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

smashboards on arms.png

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Trolling/bait
And yet, Final Fantasy VII doesn’t even get an AT :c Aerith, Cait Sith or Sephiroth would have been great AT choices
Not as good as a Chocobo would have been.

People hate not simply cause they're not playable, but it feels like a slap in the face too.
Only idiots think that "This character is almost good enough to be playable" is a slap in the face.

The idea that being ignored is better, because then you can pretend that it means your still coming as a full character, instead of just being ignored, is ridiculous.

Look at all those retweets and likes. Plenty of people seem to think Ice Climbers is in dire need of a new character and how Byleth was a slap in the face for the entirety of the Ice Climber fandom
Ice Climbers don't deserve the character they already got!

Time since Byleth was revealed: Damn near 3 months, a quarter of a year, with people still complaining.
It's not like time makes the pick any less terrible.

I will complain about it for eternity.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
To be real, there are any number of reasons in which Nintendo could've done the announcement the way they did, and until we actually see the full reveal, the most we can do is continue to theorize.

It could be what seems to be the most postulated situation, in which there is an unorthodox implementation of characters. It could be because ARMS 2 is in the pipeline and the character takes their cues from that. It could be because Nintendo cleverly realized that this method has people talking about ARMS for the next two and a half months. It could be the opposite and Nintendo is just being tone-deaf and we'll receive a character they easily could've revealed in full last month. It could be that Nintendo is acclimating people to the idea as to mitigate blowback on the heels of Byleth.

All these theories are possible; Nintendo is hard to pin down, and that's why we'll continue to go around in circles until June.
If Spring Man does end up being the playable character my theory for why they made it into a big mystery is.......because it's Nintendo.

I don't think they really need a reason to make strange decisions....(I know that kinda sounds like a cop out argument, but it's not untrue is it?)

Here's a thought, what if they're aware that the community doesn't consider assist trophy characters possible (I mean it is a pretty strongly held opinion by a lot of people, it might be obvious to anyone paying even the slightest attention to the Smash fanbase)....and they're playing into that by presenting every ARMS fighter as a possibility?

I don't think that's what is happening, it's just something I've been thinking about.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Can't fault that. It's either Springman with alts, Ribbon Girl solo, or Min Min solo. Color me shocked if we get anything else.
I could see it being Ribbon Girl with a Spring Man alt.

They could choose to have Ribbon Girl front in center instead of Spring Man. I think she's more popular than Spring Man anyway.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I’m glad somebody finally said it. I really don’t understand why everyone acts as if Nintendo is some sort of “master of deception” and we can’t take anything they say at face value when that is nowhere near the case.

Saying that Nintendo wouldn’t do this just to make it Spring Man isn’t a good argument because it’s absolutely something they would do and have done before. Everyone thought that there would be more than two characters left because there was “no way” Nintendo would just reveal that with the box. The same goes with the number of stages. What do you know, there were two characters left and exactly the number of stages they said there would be.

Don’t even get me started on Byleth and how that only reinforces the point. I’m not saying Nintendo can’t surprise us, but something being “too obvious” isn’t a point against it.
I think there's a very real possibility that it's Spring Man, but requiring people extrapolate what's on the other side of the box based on a hidden pattern is quite a bit different than guessing it's the main character of the game.

D

Deleted member

I could see it being Ribbon Girl with a Spring Man alt.

They could choose to have Ribbon Girl front in center instead of Spring Man. I think she's more popular than Spring Man anyway.
That's not out of the question, but I can't forsee Spring Man being an alternate costume. The fact he was the one given AT status and not Ribbon Girl means Sakurai would have chose him for an ARMs rep at that time. He's either representing the series as the face or he's not there at all.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Can't fault that. It's either Springman with alts, Ribbon Girl solo, or Min Min solo. Color me shocked if we get anything else.
Despite my previous post I don't think just getting Spring-Man is inconceivable.

Nintendo having done that song and dance for it to just be Spring-Man doesn't seem like something outside the realm of "Nintendo gonna Nintendo".

It's not the outcome I think is likeliest, but if it should be the one that transpires, I wouldn't be shocked either.

D

Deleted member

Despite my previous post I don't think just getting Spring-Man is inconceivable.

Nintendo having done that song and dance for it to just be Spring-Man doesn't seem like something outside the realm of "Nintendo gonna Nintendo".

It's not the outcome I think is likeliest, but if it should be the one that transpires, I wouldn't be shocked either.
That would be a very Nintendo thing to do, wouldn't it? I'd like to think the first fighters pass is a sign Nintendo might throw a curveball for shock value, doubly so because Springo is already an AT, but we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

DetectiveSS

Smash Cadet
I think there's a very real possibility that it's Spring Man, but requiring people extrapolate what's on the other side of the box based on a hidden pattern is quite a bit different than guessing it's the main character of the game.
They’re comparable for the fact that both are cases where the most obvious conclusions might be the correct ones. I wasn’t a subscriber to the box theory either, but I can’t deny that at the end of the day Nintendo didn’t mind being predictable in that sense.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Keep in mind that box theory wouldn't have been half as predictable if the two characters the theory indicated hadn't already leaked. It was a case of the pieces fitting together, but remember that we already had the pieces.

D

Deleted member

Here's a thought, what if they're aware that the community doesn't consider assist trophy characters possible (I mean it is a pretty strongly held opinion by a lot of people, it might be obvious to anyone paying even the slightest attention to the Smash fanbase)....and they're playing into that by presenting every ARMS fighter as a possibility?

I don't think that's what is happening, it's just something I've been thinking about.
I think it’s possible for Nintendo and Sakurai to be aware of it, especially after the "outcry" of Waluigi’s deconfirmation that got the attention of various new sites and Nintendo(or at least the NA branch) commenting about it.

DetectiveSS

Smash Cadet
Keep in mind that box theory wouldn't have been half as predictable if the two characters the theory indicated hadn't already leaked. It was a case of the pieces fitting together, but remember that we already had the pieces.
You’re right, but I think people would’ve made the assumption either way honestly.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Huh, seems people don't talk about Capcom reps too much anymore now. Funny because now i see Monster Hunter back on the table. But anyway.

Tbqh, this environment is much more nicer than before the Mini-Direct and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

View attachment 268138
I agree 100%. Honestly it makes me happy that they opened it with an ARMS character, giving me hope for more Nintendo characters. like Bandanna Dee.
Now i can look Byleth with a more optimistic look in hindsight (now he feels like the gate-flooder for Nintendo DLC newcomers)

I do think we are gonna get a Third Party, but i think it if we get one, it would be Fighter 7 or 8, right in the middle of Pass.

I wonder if this will set the precedent for most of the Pass like Joker did for the Previous one (where only Byleth was the exception to all of those Guests completely new to Smash)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
"Obscure" might not be the right word. I'm not seeing many requests for Muddy Mole or Jill Dozer.
It's a sad world we live in.
Look at all those retweets and likes. Plenty of people seem to think Ice Climbers is in dire need of a new character and how Byleth was a slap in
I think it's more that they're showing Fire Emblem, and the way series are ordered has Ice Climbers and Game & Watch (as the other Melee additions), and F-Zero and Earthbound (the last 64 series), so it serves to depict the difference between representation of series added around the same time.

I know you like to hate Nintendo fans, but let's not pretend that you actually believe they're rooting for more Ice Climber or Game & Watch characters. It's much more likely that they're rooting for F-Zero or Earthbound characters, which are decently sized franchises with many potential candidates for more fighters.
If I'm going to be honest, I wish we had a better character than ARMS.
ARMS isn't a character ya goober
three houses: where do you land on the political alignment chart
ARMS: what your favrit colour
My favorite color is toothpaste blue.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I didn't want to believe it at the time because Incineroar was my least favorite Alolan Pokemon at the time and I wanted Decidueye.

And because Akuma would have been a better Ryu echo.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You’re right, but I think people would’ve made the assumption either way honestly.
Without leaks people who subscribed to box theory (insofar as there were only two characters left) probably would've designated one of the two spots to a Pokemon - but that Pokemon still would've been believed to be likelier Decidueye than Incineroar. And the other spot would've been a total crapshoot.

My guess is people would've predicted another original character simply because they'd rather have that over an echo. But even if they did think it was an echo, there'd be as many, if no more, in the camp for Shadow as there would be for Ken.

Plus without the real leaks I assume there'd have been an even larger embrace of the Grinch leak, which worked antithetically to box theory.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Honestly, I'm still on Team Combo, with Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min being duct taped together into one package. I know it's not the best way to represent all those characters and some things are bound to be lost in translation, but that didn't stop Bowser Jr. or Hero. Besides, its not like any of the before mentioned characters have super specific abilities that would be weird in a more general moveset. I think Spring Man would be fine doing Min Min's kick or Ribbon Girl's double jump.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Without leaks people who subscribed to box theory (insofar as there were only two characters left) probably would've designated one of the two spots to a Pokemon - but that Pokemon still would've been believed to be likelier Decidueye than Incineroar. And the other spot would've been a total crapshoot.

My guess is people would've predicted another original character simply because they'd rather have that over an echo. But even if they did think it was an echo, there'd be as many, if no more, in the camp for Shadow as there would be for Ken.

Plus without the real leaks I assume there'd have been an even larger embrace of the Grinch leak, which worked antithetically to box theory.
I remember that the layout of the box had something to do with a spot missing near Ryu so people guessed Ken because he'd be the Ryu Echo.

I think people would have still guessed Ryu Echo and Pokemon rep, which is still pretty close.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I remember that the layout of the box had something to do with a spot missing near Ryu so people guessed Ken because he'd be the Ryu Echo.

I think people would have still guessed Ryu Echo and Pokemon rep, which is still pretty close.
You're right, I forgot that it did have to be characters from a certain series due to the layout being in alternating chunks, though I'd have to go back to check if it was really as narrow as "it has to be a SF character". I suspect it wasn't that limiting; us landing on it being a SF character was probably as a result of putting two and two together.

Last edited:

Slime Master

Smash Ace
They’re comparable for the fact that both are cases where the most obvious conclusions might be the correct ones. I wasn’t a subscriber to the box theory either, but I can’t deny that at the end of the day Nintendo didn’t mind being predictable in that sense.
I actually did ascribe to box theory, partly because I thought the argument that it was too obvious was silly. The amount of staring at seemingly unimportant details to figure out that pattern was probably more than anyone at Nintendo expected someone to do. Meanwhile they'd have to be pretty dumb not to realize that by saying "it's an ARMS character" some people would jump straight to Spring Man.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You're right, I forgot that it did have to be characters from a certain series due to the layout being in alternating chunks, though I'd have to go back to check if it was really as narrow as "it has to be a SF character". I suspect it wasn't that limiting; us landing on it being a SF character was probably as a result of putting two and two together.
What I remember is that "it was an echo from these particular series" was the theory. Ken was just a heavy guess, and not entirely cause of Vergeben. There's the other leak, along with him feeling like a very likely addition too. The other one wasn't always guessed as a Pokemon, mind you, but Verge's influence showed quite a lot(and of course he was right, hence having quite a lot of credibility).

That said, due to how hard Nintendo is going down, I have a feeling he either doesn't know anything or won't say anything(who can blame him?). Though if he did, it would honestly removing some of the pointless fighting here. But I'd rather deal with that(and just report posts if needed) than a lot of people get in trouble anyway, so eh.

DetectiveSS

Smash Cadet
I actually did ascribe to box theory, partly because I thought the argument that it was too obvious was silly. The amount of staring at seemingly unimportant details to figure out that pattern was probably more than anyone at Nintendo expected someone to do. Meanwhile they'd have to be pretty dumb not to realize that by saying "it's an ARMS character" some people would jump straight to Spring Man.
That’s just the thing, though. In my opinion, if they wanted to go for the angle of surprise I think they would’ve just waited to reveal the character. I think by doing this, their main goal here is to just get people talking about ARMS again instead of going for some huge surprise. Something that is working pretty well, actually. This way, it gets people talking about all of ARMS instead of just the single character of whoever would’ve been revealed immediately.

Although, I think it’s also possible that we’re overthinking this and that despite not having anything to show about the character yet, they still wanted to give people some sort of info on the pass since it was just recently made available to buy.

i don't know what you guys are talking about. Smash Bros is really one long Ace Attorney case and we gotta PUT TOGETHER THE CLUES TO EXPOSE NINTENDO'S TRUE INTENTIONS! IT MUST ALL COME TOGETHER!
Turnabout Speculation, everyone’s least favourite case. Oh boy, if you thought the third case was overly long...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So what do you guys think. Think some of the characters might come with echoes of their own notably Spring Man if its him with Ribbon Girl?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So what do you guys think. Think some of the characters might come with echoes of their own notably Spring Man if its him with Ribbon Girl?
Honestly? No. I don't think any Echoes are coming. I think it's going to be just straight out unique characters. I feel Ribbon Girl's more likely an alt.

That said, I would not complain if they did so. That could be really cool. For instance, Scorpion and Sub-Zero would make another great combination(though I'd imagine Sub-Zero would be more Ken-esque). I'm sure a lot more could be thought of, but they're the first two to come to mind among those I think stand a remote chance. XD

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Like a few people have already stated, regardless of which character is chosen, we're still getting a unique character capable of doing something no other character on the roster can do.

Whether it's Spring Man, Min Min, or even Helix, the main selling point will still be there - really long stretch arms. That character may not end up being the one you have an attachment to, but hey, there's still a lot to look forward to if you're a fan of ARMS. We're finally getting some music, and believe you me, I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Yeah Ryu's segment went like this
:ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultcloud:

Then the Ken leak came along a week later.

DetectiveSS

Smash Cadet
Like a few people have already stated, regardless of which character is chosen, we're still getting a unique character capable of doing something no other character on the roster can do.

Whether it's Spring Man, Min Min, or even Helix, the main selling point will still be there - really long stretch arms. That character may not end up being the one you have an attachment to, but hey, there's still a lot to look forward to if you're a fan of ARMS. We're finally getting some music, and believe you me, I'm definitely looking forward to that.
This. Despite me thinking Spring Man is the most likely pick, I’m honestly happy to see that other characters are getting their support too. If there is one thing I really like about ARMS, it’s the characters themselves.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I actually have been thinking about that and seriously considering it. AFAIK, echoes haven't been ruled out of FP2 like they were with FP1, so it wouldn't be impossible I think. It would also give more of a reason to how they are building up hype for the ARMs character.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
So Nintendo and the mastermind are the same person?
No, the entire company isn't the mastermind. There is only one person who is the true mastermind...And that is!

COURT RECORD:
Shigeru Miyamoto
Doug Bowser
-->Masahiro Sakurai
Shuntaro Furukawa

TAKE THAT

The true mastermind of Super Smash Bros, who has left all the hidden clues and has led us all along since the days of the 64...Is none other than MASHED POTATO SAMURAI HIMSELF!

(ok, i'll stop now)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
If Spring Man does end up being the playable character my theory for why they made it into a big mystery is.......because it's Nintendo.

I don't think they really need a reason to make strange decisions....(I know that kinda sounds like a cop out argument, but it's not untrue is it?)

I don't think they know or care about fan rules. What I think happened was the character was meant to be announced and released in April (a la Joker) but was delayed to June. They weren't ready to show off the character but had to announce something so it's "A Fighter From ARMS".

Aside, but I've seen discussion that Nintendo meant to show off a third party character but moved it back due to inability to communicate with the publisher. I don't think that's what happen. Character take 6 months so they couldn't pull something together if it was meant to be later in the pass. ARMS was meant to be the first one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom