• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Bit of a random question, but I'm curious.
Out of ALL the playable franchises currently in Smash, which one(s) would you add a new Fighter to?
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Pokemon: Toxtricity
Kid Icarus: Hades
Metal Gear: Raiden
Sonic: Tails
Mega Man: Proto Man
Xenoblade: Elma
Street Fighter: Chun-Li
Final Fantasy: Sephiroth
Splatoon: Octoling
Castlevania: Alucard
Fatal Fury: Rock Howard

I'd throw in ARMS too but, uh... yeah.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Well, here’s a crazy idea for a "gimmick" that I just thought of that’s in no way realistic (Unless Sakurai and his team are super crazy):

What if moveset wise, all the alts are the same except for two things: their Neutral Special & Grab?

Each alts Neutral Special is one of their unique abilities from their home game (Min Min's dragon arm, Dr. Coyle's third arm, ect.), same thing with their Grabs.

Again, this is probably very unrealistic and non-cost efficient, but it’s a cool idea.
It would be cool if they could do that, but at that point they might as well make each character an Echo Fighter. It would be nice to get as much ARMS characters in Smash since so many are great, but it's best to represent them properly.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though she's not who I'd choose for Smash, the Twintelle argument doesn't really make much sense to me.

The title of the game might be ARMS, but I don't think Nintendo's thought process is as ridiculous as, "Nope. She fights with her hair, not her arms. Definitely can't be her."

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Out of ALL the playable franchises currently in Smash, which one(s) would you add a new Fighter to?
Mario: Waluigi
Zelda: Impa
Kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee
Fire Emblem: Lyn or Dimitri
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Metal Gear: MGR Raiden
Sonic the Hedgehog: Blaze
Mega Man: Zero
Xenoblade: Rex or Fiora
Street Fighter: Ibuki
Final Fantasy: Cecil
Castlevania: Alucard
Persona: Akechi
Dragon Quest: Jessica
Fatal Fury/The King of Fighters: Leona

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
:ultmario:- Waluigi or Toad
:ultdk:- Dixie Kong
:ultlink:- Tingle
:ultsamus:- Antothy Higgs
:ultyoshi:- Kamek
:ultfox:- Krystal or Slippy
:ultpikachu:- Serperior
:ultness:- Porky
:ultfalcon:- Black Shadow (e)
:ulticeclimbers:-N/A
:ultmarth:- Anna
:ultgnw:- N/A
:ultpit:- Hades or Medusa (e)
:ultwario:- Mona
:ultsnake:- Liquid Snake (e)
:ultsonic:- Eggman
:ultolimar:- Louie (e) or Brittany (e)
:ultrob:- N/A
:ultvillager:- N/A
:ultmegaman:- Protoman (e)
:ultwiifittrainer:- Ring Fit Adventurer?
:ultlittlemac:- Mike Tyson or King Hippo
:ultbrawler:- Sorcerer or Sports Master
:ultpacman:- Ms Pac Man (e)
:ultshulk:- Elma, Morag/Brigid or Tora/Poppi
:ultduckhunt:- N/A
:ultryu:- Chun Li
:ultcloud:- Zack (e) or Tifa
:ultbayonetta:- Jeanne (e)
:ultinkling:- Octoling (e)
:ultsimon:- Alucard
:ultjoker:- N/A
:ulthero:- Villain?
:ultbanjokazooie:- N/A
:ult_terry:- Geese Howard or Rock Howard (e)

ARMS- Min Min

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
:ultmario: - Waluigi, Paper Mario, Pauline, Toad, Fawful
:ultlink: - Skull Kid, Midna, Tingle, Impa, Pig Ganon
:ultdk:- Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong
:ultsamus:- Sylux
:ultkirby:- Marx, Adeleine, Bandana Waddle Dee
:ultpikachu:- Giratina, Gingar, Toxtricity, Grovyle
:ultmarth:- Lyn
:ultwario:- Ashley, Captain Syrup
:ultness:- Porky
:ultbayonetta:- Jeanne, Rodin
:ultcloud:- Terra, Zidane
:ultfox:- Krystal
:ultmegaman:- X, Zero, Roll, Tron Bonne
:ultsimon:- Alucard, Soma, Shanoa
:ultsnake:- Raiden, Big Boss
:ultshulk:- Rex, Elma
:ultryu:- Chun Li, Akuma, M. Bison
:ult_terry:- Kyo Kusanagi, Geese Howard, Rugal Bernstein
:ulthero:- Slime
:ultsonic:- Shadow, Eggman, Tails
:ultinkling:- Octolings
:ultpit:- Viridi, Hades, Medusa

I....think I covered everything. I would've added Joker for the sake of Demi-fiend but Persona and SMT are separate franchises at this point. I may have went overboard in some areas lol

Last edited:

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
Twintelle has a variation of the gimmick - her hair is the stretchy part. You wouldn't put a variant in when the original still isn't here.
Who's the original lol? They were all revealed in the same game? Spring man is on the cover but he's not the MAIN character/ protagonist like mega man.
Yup..I mean, that was the Nintendo Switch's first year in a nutshell.

I don't. Remember that not all Nintendo/ARMS fans are thirsty and Min Min has a unique design and gimmicks.
I mean, Twintelle is my favorite, but I think Min Min is slightly more popular.

I mean, I would..and this is Nintendo, they aren't the most predictable bunch sometimes.
I really don't care about thirst or whatever I just think she's the most probable character

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Can't believe they have to disqualify Mechanica, Twintelle, Springtron and Helix for not having proper Arms. What an upset. And Springman's urine test revealed he was on steroids, what an upset. Truly a sad day in ARMS history.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Even though she's not who I'd choose for Smash, the Twintelle argument doesn't really make much sense to me.

The title of the game might be ARMS, but I don't think Nintendo's thought process is as ridiculous as, "Nope. She fights with her hair, not her arms. Definitely can't be her."
I think the thought process is more that there's really no avenue for her to be picked.

If they want to go with the main character(s), that's Spring Man - maybe him and Ribbon Girl.

If they want to go with the most popular character, that's Min-Min.

If they don't want to do a character who's a Spirit, well then she is one.

If they want to do multiple characters as alts/Echoes, she doesn't fight with her arms so she wouldn't work.

So there's really no timeline in which she gets chosen, really. Add to that the fact that, yeah, a character who fights using her hair isn't a great first representative for a game where most characters fight with their arms.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
If I had to chose one it would be add Porky to Earthbound franchise. Others that I would want to see are:
Mario: Paper Mario
Zelda: Skull kid
Kirby: Marx, Magolor or Adeleine. Personally not a fan of Bandana dee.
Sonic: Eggman or Tails, although Knuckles would be cool I personally prefer Tails
Bayonetta: Jeanne (echo)
Xenoblade: Rex, although he's not a great character I think Xenoblade 2 is a excellent game that deserve more recognition in Smash. I could also accept Elma, but I haven't played Xenoblade X, but I would like her in Smash because her playstyle seems interesting and I like her design.

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
Can't believe they have to disqualify Mechanica, Twintelle, Springtron and Helix for not having proper Arms. What an upset. And Springman's urine test revealed he was on steroids, what an upset. Truly a sad day in ARMS history.
Exactly.., this is like the dumbest arguement lol.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Mario: Waluigi
Fire Emblem: Lyn or Celica
Wario: Ashley
Xenoblade: Rex
Street Fighter: Alex
Persona: Yu Narukami
Fatal Fury/The King of Fighters: Kyo Kusanagi

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I really only think there are two franchises that need a new character at this point...but those are all my biases.

#1: Tails.

WHY is Sonic still going around by himself without his sidekick. Tails is to Sonic what Luigi is to Mario, and I think he's the #1 most deserving character. To see him get left out - and not even getting to assist like Knux or Shadow, but being left as only a three-star spirit - is really disappointing. Tails would work great as a Ken-esque Sonic semi-clone since they had the same basic kits in Tails' debut in Sonic 2.

Beyond that, Zelda's hurting for non-clone movesets, especially since it's a big enough franchise that BotW kinda stole a lot of Mario Odyssey's thunder. I'd love Midna, but Skull Kid would be cool too. But Urbosa really made the best impression on me, so if it was up to me I might even take her over Midna.

D

Deleted member

Mario: Geno
Kirby: Adeleine
Sonic: Shadow
Megaman: Zero
Punch Out: Mike Tyson
Xenoblade: Rex & Pyra
Street Fighter: Chun-Li, Sagat, or Akuma
Final Fantasy: Terra
Persona: Yu Narukami
Dragon Quest: Serena or Alena
Fatal Fury: Iori (he appeared in a Gameboy FF game. I don't care.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think the thought process is more that there's really no avenue for her to be picked.

If they want to go with the main character(s), that's Spring Man - maybe him and Ribbon Girl.

If they want to do multiple characters as alts/Echoes, she doesn't fight with her arms so she wouldn't work.

So there's really no timeline in which she gets chosen, really. Add to that the fact that, yeah, a character who fights using her hair isn't a great first representative for a game where most characters fight with their arms.
There's the avenue that they choose her because of her special ability. Compare the ability to greatly slow down your fall speed and incoming attacks to the following: deflecting attacks and a rage mechanic, multiple jumps and a fast fall, and deflecting attacks with a kick and a dragon arm (sounds cool on paper, but all it does is fully charge attacks). I know Twintelle's ability is similar to Bayo's, but the other's abilities are way more common on the roster. We have plenty of characters with moves that deflect, multiple jumps, and some type of move that increases the power of attacks.

Point is, I think it's a little premature to say any of the ARMS characters won't be chosen (unless you're Springtron, in which case you might as well have chosen the mascot). I don't think it'll be Twintelle, but I also think we need to be careful with our logic and not be quick to rule out characters just so we can narrow down our options.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Could very easily see it being Min Min due to popularity and her winning that tournament.

That or it's Spring Man, which would both excite and terrify me because of implications.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Could very easily see it being Min Min due to popularity and her winning that tournament.

That or it's Spring Man, which would both excite and terrify me because of implications.
As said before, that tournament means little. It was a fun little thing and wasn't an actual popularity poll whatsoever.

It's hard to say who'll win, but that tiny tournament isn't much to go off of. Min Min however is highly popular on her own, without keeping the tournament in mind, so that's still a plus in her book. We have the two mascots, who also are really notable choices. They could also easily do an alt situation as is, as many play close enough alike for it to work, or use Mechanica's suit like Bowser Jr. to justify all the "abilities" being usable. There's many routes. I lean towards Spring Man as the main with some alts, though.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Unique Fighters:
:ultmario: - Captain Toad/Toadette
:ultlittlemac: - King Hippo
:ultsnake: - Raiden
:ultmegaman: - Zero
:ultsimon: - Alucard
:ultryu: - Bison
:ultcloud: - Sephiroth

Echo Fighters:
:ultdk: - Dixie(Diddy echo)
:ultlink: - Impa(Sheik echo)
:ultpikachu: - Charizard(Pokemon Trainer echo)
:ultfalcon: - Black Shadow(Captain Falcon echo)
:ultness: - Ninten(Ness echo)
:ultmarth: - Black Knight(Ike echo)
:ultinkling: - Octolings(Inklings echo)
:ultsnake: - Liquid Snake(Snake echo)
:ultsonic: - Shadow(Sonic echo)
:ultmegaman: - Bass(Mega Man echo)

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
:ultmario:= Paper Mario, Waluigi, and Geno (The last two so it’s finally over.)

:ultlink:= Zelda (BOtW) using the Champion’s Abilities, Impa, and Ganon

:ultpikachu:= Urshifu, Galar Pokémon Trainer.

:ultdk:=Dixie Kong.

:ultinkling:= Octoling

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here's my ARMS x Super Smash Bros. Ultimate character tiers:
  • Should be in the game before anyone else:
    • Spring Man
  • Should probably be in before everyone below her:
    • Ribbon Girl
  • Would be super fun to play:
    • Dr Coyle, Lola Pop, Misango, Max Brass
  • Not my thing (but I respect them):
    • Twintelle, Ninjara, Min Min, Master Mummy, Mechanica, Kid Cobra
  • I love you but you would be way too clunky in this game:
    • Byte & Barq
  • Your gimmick doesn't work here:
    • Helix
  • Please don't unleash this suffering upon us:
    • Springtron

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Mostly Mario and Donkey Kong characters. Dixie Kong, Waluigi, Captain Toad/Toadette, Paper Mario, Geno, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong

I don’t care much for Bandana Waddle Dee or Rex, but it would be cool to see them since so many people want them (though I do prefer Elma over Rex).

There are many other characters I think would be cool, but I can do without.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Franchise fighters list?
:ultmario: Waluigi, Toad, Geno. These are the ones I feel are completely missing. Paper Mario I'd probably put under a separate franchise, but otherwise, here. I wouldn't mind a Metal Mario unique echo, but I'm pretty sure Weight is taken into account, so eh.
:ultdk: Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Pauline. Though the last one I care least about, she'd be cool.
:ultlink: Impa(Oracles version), Tingle(MM design, imo), Ganon(Moblin/Pig from ALTTP)
:ultsamus: ...Honestly? I don't think we'd ever get a tank version of Mother Brain, so no one.
:ultyoshi: Shy Guy, Kamek
:ultkirby: Bandanna Waddle Dee
:ultfox: Krystal. Though I will admit Slippy has grown on me a bit.
:ultpikachu: The weird thing is? I'm not sure who I want. I admit Grovyle would be neat, but Plusle & Minun sound fun too. I care enough about Gen VIII to buy it, but nobody stands out to me yet.
:ultness: Pokey/Porky. Nobody else really interests me. If they actually release an official Ninten redesign, via an actual game trilogy, and not just the commercial design being talked about, I'll consider him. He's even more similar than Dark Pit in design, which is saying something.
:ultfalcon: Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow(this one works well as a Ganondorf echo, using his TP moveset, just with a reworked Gerudo Dragon)
:ultmarth: Hector, Lyn
:ultpit: Medusa (Given time I might look more into Hades, but I want Medusa first regardless)
:ultwario: Ashley, Captain Syrup
:ultsonic: Shadow(Echo), Metal Sonic (There's a lot of characters, but a lot of them don't bother me if they never get in)
:ultvillager: Mr. Resetti, Tom Nook
:ultlittlemac: King Hippo
:ultryu: Akuma, Chun-Li
:ultcloud: Sephiroth
Other Final Fantasy stuff: Squall
:ultinkling: Octoling
:ultsimon: Alucard, Sypha, Trevor Belmont(I love the Netflix series and they have game versions anyway)
:ulthero: Slime

If someone(or their franchise) isn't listed, there's no one I want from there. Not worth typing out every time to say "no thank you" etc.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm happy Nintendo gave us some info over the next fighter, but it's only been two days and I'm already done with this ARMS debate.

It's like a cyclical Pokemon or Mario or FE debate that will just repeat ad infinitum until we get more info, except I don't really care who they actually end up going with. I mean I have my ideas, and I'm thrilled a new Nintendo series is getting representation, but at the end of the day, and especially after now having tried the game since it's free atm, I can't say that ARMS is for me.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm happy Nintendo gave us some info over the next fighter, but it's only been two days and I'm already done with this ARMS debate.

It's like a cyclical Pokemon or Mario or FE debate that will just repeat ad infinitum until we get more info, except I don't really care who they actually end up going with. I mean I have my ideas, and I'm thrilled a new Nintendo series is getting representation, but at the end of the day, and especially after now having tried the game since it's free atm, I can't say that ARMS is for me.
Yeah, it didn't do this thread any favors. Perhaps we can start speculating about the seventh character at some point before June.

Do we know when E3 was going to happen? Perhaps that'll shed some light on when the June Direct will be ('cuz that's probably when we'll find out who the ARMS character is, not because I want another Nintendo Direct).

toonito

Smash Ace
:ultcloud:Tifa
:ultkirby: Bandana Waddle Dee
:ultmario: Toad, Waluigi, Paper Mario
:ultmegaman: Zero, Roll (Echo)
:ultmiifighters:Mii Spellcaster
:ultpikachu:Raichu
:ultryu:Chun-Li, Guile
:ultlink:Ghirahim, swap :ulttoonlink: for Toon Ganondorf
:ultshulk:Elma
:ultsnake:Raiden
:ultsonic:Tails
:ult_terry:Kyo

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, it didn't do this thread any favors. Perhaps we can start speculating about the seventh character at some point before June.

Do we know when E3 was going to happen? Perhaps that'll shed some light on when the June Direct will be ('cuz that's probably when we'll find out who the ARMS character is, not because I want another Nintendo Direct).
I'd say the week of June 8th was probably the intended timeframe for E3, and would expect the Direct to air around then, but it being the week before or after wouldn't surprise me either.

At least starting around mid-April we'd usually begin receiving the typical E3 rumours, and those would contribute towards the general discussion, but I wonder what will come of those this year. I imagine we'll probably still get them, given there will still be online stuff... but it's probably likelier to be fake, considering a big part of leaking was the setup and physical promo stuff around E3.

But really, how crazy will it be that, not only will an entire year have past with Nintendo only having revealed ports and eShop titles (and Ring Fit), but that after Xenoblade releases, we literally won't have a single first-party title dated. Not just for 2020, but at all. I don't think that's ever happened before.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Put in the hero Mega Man X.

Mega Man X Ending.jpg

Give me those dash mechanics and crazy wall jumps.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
If Min Min is chosen as the ARMS representative, we can already assume what her first four costumes would be (unless she has an alt skin), but I hope that her other costumes play with her hair colour more than ARMS did..I know Ramen is always yellow, so it makes sense she was kept blonde, but I would love if they referenced other noodle colours, like Black, Pink/Red, Green, & White..and of course her noodle-arm colours should match her hair colour.
Not to mention I'd just love a black haired Min Min.
I really don't care about thirst or whatever I just think she's the most probable character
I can't really say I think Twintelle nor Min Min is more probable than the other..they are always neck & neck in popularity polls, though Min Min has winning the last big official competition, and even getting special artwork for it, along with being easier to make an alternate skin/echo out of, along with having martial arts as a possibility to bolster her moveset, to help her edge out Twintelle a little for me.
If Nintendo goes based on Popularity though, I could see either of them

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
:ultyounglink: - Skull Kid, Tetra, Midna (Any or all of them)

:ultkirby:- Marx, Bandana Dee (Most wanted, most necessary respectively)

:ultness: - Porky

:ultwario: - Captain Syrup

:ultvillager:- Tom Nook

:ultinkling:- Octoling

There are plenty more characters I would like but I tried to keep it reasonable. These are pretty much intended to fulfill series representation that I feel is incomplete or lacking. Zelda and Kirby could really use something new, Mother is complete once it gets its villain. Captain Syrup fulfills the much needed Wario Land representation, while Tom Nook and Octoling are just extremely important characters from rapidly growing Nintendo franchises.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Most people who answered this posted a bunch of characters, so who knows which of them they really care about, if any.

Legend of Zelda: Skull Kid

Twintelle and Dr. Coyle have more limbs than the other characters. That gives them options for attacks and animations that the other characters lack.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Most people who answered this posted a bunch of characters, so who knows which of them they really care about, if any.
Most of them. From my own list, I don't REALLY care about Ninten, Dixie or Octolings. But I'd add them anyway cause I feel like they SHOULD be there, and they'd just be Echoes.

It's weird you only care about one character.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It feels weird to me that Nintendo might just see the 2nd Fighter's Pass as a continuation of the first. They don't feel the need to give it a memorable launch at all, they're fine with setting the tone as "yeah more Smash, you guys like Smash right?". They probably didn't (or couldn't, based on when planning ended) take individual character reception into account, so for all we know there won't be any single pick comparable to Banjo in terms of fan appeal and it'll just be "what looks good next to our upcoming releases schedule". Which makes for a really disappointing pass to me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If you want an answer that doesn't just add characters to every series, I'd add a new fighter to Kirby, Zelda, DK, Wario and Xenoblade.

I believe those series not only have popular/notable character who are currently excluded, but I'd say those five series are punching below their weight to a greater extent than other (first-party) series on the roster. I guess Splatoon is too, but the options there are more limited, and it is quite a bit newer.

When it comes to third-parties, you really could go in a lot of directions, but I'd start with Sonic, as it is one of the biggest series with multiple highly visible, highly popular characters with the longest unbroken tenure among guests.

That would be, imo, the fairest way to proceed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom