• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I like my fantasy armor to be fanciful, but not too over-the-top. Something like Warhammer Fantasy Battle's Bretonnian Knights is up my alley. I don't know if there's any Fire Emblem character that takes a page from the book of Bretonnian Knight Aesthetics, but if there is, they would probably be my favorite Fire Emblem character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I like my fantasy armor to be fanciful, but not too over-the-top. Something like Warhammer Fantasy Battle's Bretonnian Knights is up my alley. I don't know if there's any Fire Emblem character that takes a page from the book of Bretonnian Knight Aesthetics, but if there is, they would probably be my favorite Fire Emblem character.
Yeah. I mean, hey, there's nothing wrong with liking the big ones either, of course.

To each their own.

That said, these factors are part of what's important to me when I design character armor/ranger suits. I've found it quite important to also get some feedback so things look actually visible and nice.

That's part of why I like Fire Emblem. Despite the obvious fantasy elements(I.E. Dragons), the characters can often feel unique but realistic enough that they're easy to get into. Plus, "huge armors" are very clunky and uncomfortable. They're not often worn outside of intentionally unrealistic settings for that reason alone. They're extremely difficult to move on and even real armor is difficult to do move as well. These are meant to protect your body, at the cost of agility and speed, after all. The stuff Marth wears, notably, is much easier to move around in as it's closer to leather and chain mail at best. Not a full suit.

I won't deny these "over the top" armors can still look neat during animation, but standstill they stick out badly sometimes.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Finally, a good Nintendo character is coming to Smash Bros as a newcomer DLC. Glad to be wrong about this, ARMS deserves more love and it needs the Smash Bros push. How is it that this is the second new Nintendo series added to Ultimate?

Also multiple characters in one is not a great idea for this characters, each ARMS characters has unique personalities to are convey through their actions and looks. You can have 8 completely different personalities as one playable character, that would strip away so much personality.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Reminds me of the Sword of Vermillion guy on the japanese cover

Not a good game but the music was nice.

Yeah. I mean, hey, there's nothing wrong with liking the big ones either, of course.

To each their own.

That said, these factors are part of what's important to me when I design character armor/ranger suits. I've found it quite important to also get some feedback so things look actually visible and nice.

That's part of why I like Fire Emblem. Despite the obvious fantasy elements(I.E. Dragons), the characters can often feel unique but realistic enough that they're easy to get into. Plus, "huge armors" are very clunky and uncomfortable. They're not often worn outside of intentionally unrealistic settings for that reason alone. They're extremely difficult to move on and even real armor is difficult to do move as well. These are meant to protect your body, at the cost of agility and speed, after all. The stuff Marth wears, notably, is much easier to move around in as it's closer to leather and chain mail at best. Not a full suit.

I won't deny these "over the top" armors can still look neat during animation, but standstill they stick out badly sometimes.
Well I mean it is fantasy so who really cares if its realistic
Thats like saying mecha animes are bad since super robots in anime wont work like do in anime irl

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Finally, a good Nintendo character is coming to Smash Bros as a newcomer DLC. Glad to be wrong about this, ARMS deserves more love and it needs the Smash Bros push. How is it that this is the second new Nintendo series added to Ultimate?

Also multiple characters in one is not a great idea for this characters, each ARMS characters has unique personalities to are convey through their actions and looks. You can have 8 completely different personalities as one playable character, that would strip away so much personality.
And I thought the ARMS reveal was unexpected...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hey look. It's something we agree on. lol

Welcome back wynn728, I'm glad you got something you can be excited for.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
The Bretonnian Knight’s look more like classical medieval knights. besides the Black Knight, not many named character wear full helmets, so I can’t really think of any that match the aesthetic off the top of my head.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Keeping in mind Nintendo of Japan has an entire section of their website devoted to Fire Emblem, an honour only shared by Mario, Pokemon, Splatoon and Animal Crossing. As such, I'd say Nintendo sees it as about equal with Animal Crossing and Splatoon.

Personally, if I had to gander how Nintendo ranks their franchises, this is how I think it goes

A: :ultmario:, :ultpikachu:, :ultlink:, Smash
B: :ultinkling:, :ultmarth:, :ultvillager:
Upper C: :ultkirby:, :ultsamus:, :ultdk:, :ultshulk:
Lower C: :ultfox:, :ultolimar:, :ultyoshi:, :ultwario:
Dead, but still good for frequent references and rereleases: :ultfalcon:, :ultpit:, :ultlittlemac:, :ultness:

I'm not sure where Nintendo sees ARMS. I think its somewhere in C tier, but I'm not sure it would be upper or lower.
I'm not saying this as someone who's never really been interested in FE. I just think people tend to overexaggerate how successful it is because of one mobile game and the number of characters it has in Smash.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 12.45 million
Splatoon 2 - 9.81 million
Splatoon - 4.94 million
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - 3.04 million
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 2.58 million
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 1.88 million (first three days, Japan only)
Fire Emblem: Fates - 1.84 million
Fire Emblem: Awakening - 1.79 million

A lot of these numbers are old and are likely higher (particularly the 3DS games), but I don't think FE belongs in the same tier as Splatoon and AC. Sales have been almost identical to Kirby games, so whatever column Kirby belongs in is where I'd put FE.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Yeah I think most are in that boat. They could be a skin if they are represented properly. If not then they’re probably better off not there at all
I guess the one thing as far as moveset goes is I would want Ninjara to disappear whenever he dodges, but I don’t know if they would go as far as to do that. I can see Min Min’s kicks being added to all the characters moveset at least.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well I mean it is fantasy so who really cares if its realistic
Thats like saying mecha animes are bad since super robots in anime wont work like do in anime irl
No, it's like saying that I prefer medieval fantasy anime to have more realistic armors. No more, no less. I actually like over the top mecha anime. They're different things entirely. One is a robotic suit that can have significantly different specs and can work quite differently from realistic armor. The reason why Saint Seiya works is they're magic armors, not actually people donning armors, so it actually makes sense why they can move like they do. And they still train heavily to be able to even use the armor.

It can be done with bigger armors, but it should make sense within the story. Overdesigning stuff doesn't really make it inherently cool either. I find it works best, as I noted, within the story. Not just throwing what seems cool for the sake of it. Even games like Zelda have giant armors always magical, while the regular designs are actually normal armor wearers. Like Darknuts are actually humans(or humanoids). Iron Knuckles are magical constructs, but can sometimes have a humanoid host inside.

I suggest not generalizing my points or acting like they apply to other stuff I did not say. If you have a question about a design, feel free to ask. But you're making quite an assumption of my opinions. What I said was "I don't prefer over the top armors outside of magical fantasy" for a simplified version. That applies to that and only that.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Spam/trolling
Just finished talking to sakurai

Told him Marth should wear bigger pauldrons. He agreed and told me Marth will have a new look in smash 7.
Sent me a pic of it too
marf.png

He told me the hitbox on Marth will be crazy. Marth fans will appreciate it.

D

Deleted member

So about the idea of the ARMs character having other ARMs characters as alts:

What if the reason for the development of this character being "exteeeeended" to June is because they plan on giving every alt unique animations to better represent the personalities of each ARMs character?

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You misspelled Spring Man.
Yeah, I think Spring Man's the most likely myself. I'm glad we've gotten a fairly unused IP(at the time) for DLC, though. Actually, I think it's the only so far that wasn't an active one.

SNK was always constantly used.
Dragon Quest never stopped being used.
Banjo-Kazooie was fully active via Rare Replay.
Fire Emblem. Uh, yeah.
Super Mario, nuff said.
Persona definitely is active.

So this is the first one that was kind of a dead game for a while. Though it wasn't released too long ago, so eh?

Except when they're dogs...Because reasons.
...I actually thought I wrote humanoids. >.<; Though to be fair, that's one game. They're normal Soldiers in some other games, and basic early versions of the Soldiers in ALTTP, even acting like them overall. But it's an archtype anyway. And even the biggest Darknuts are actually pretty simply in their designs(Minish Cap). Which is sweet, since they're pretty well-animated too. They're arguably more difficult than the ones in the first game too, hoo boy. Though Zelda II's Iron Knuckles actually feel like regular Darknuts, oddly enough.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Min Min and Springman are both Spirits; but this isn't a point used against her by fans

Springman has a Mii Costume, Spirit, Assist Trophy, due to being the face of ARMS; Min Min has none of these but that doesn't matter because she's still popular and won a contest

Springman is too obvious as a choice, yet everyone is saying Min Min is the character just because she won a contest (which has already been debunked as the claimed "popularity contest") claiming it was very obviously "gauging for Smash DLC"

Springman is too obvious which is why it can't be him, yet everyone is now claiming Min Min is the character above any other character; namely Max Brass or even Twintelle

Min Min's chances are not remotely as high as people are claiming to be. Stop drooling over your waifu and listen to the facts.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Just finished talking to sakurai

Told him Marth should wear bigger pauldrons. He agreed and told me Marth will have a new look in smash 7.
Sent me a pic of it too
View attachment 267547

He told me the hitbox on Marth will be crazy. Marth fans will appreciate it.
That's just RNG blessed FE12 Marth.

Anyway, been thinking about the idea of Poochy. And kinda begin to love the idea. I hope it becomes a more popular idea. Seems like a cool and cute way to add a very well received, but odd ball choice for a newcomer again.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
And here I am confident it's Max Brass.

-Him and Dr. Coyle are the most important characters in the lore.
-Has some similar moves to Springman.
-Seems to be set up to be the main face of the future of ARMs.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
No, it's like saying that I prefer medieval fantasy anime to have more realistic armors. No more, no less. I actually like over the top mecha anime. They're different things entirely. One is a robotic suit that can have significantly different specs and can work quite differently from realistic armor. The reason why Saint Seiya works is they're magic armors, not actually people donning armors, so it actually makes sense why they can move like they do. And they still train heavily to be able to even use the armor.

It can be done with bigger armors, but it should make sense within the story. Overdesigning stuff doesn't really make it inherently cool either. I find it works best, as I noted, within the story. Not just throwing what seems cool for the sake of it. Even games like Zelda have giant armors always magical, while the regular designs are actually normal armor wearers. Like Darknuts are actually humans. Iron Knuckles are magical constructs, but can sometimes have a humanoid host inside.

I suggest not generalizing my points or acting like they apply to other stuff I did not say. If you have a question about a design, feel free to ask. But you're making quite an assumption of my opinions. What I said was "I don't prefer over the top armors outside of magical fantasy" for a simplified version. That applies to that and only that.
I prefer exaggerating things more often
Like the armor and designs in Guardian Heroes are cool to me cause they all have very long limbs and broad shoulders which helps make cartoony animations they do look good on them while still having big armor too. I dont think you really need to fit designs into stories, Over the top stuff can fit well into dark serious things. Giant Robo and Apocalypse Zero have over the top designs but still do tell serious stories.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

If Max Brass gets into Smash, I can picture him being good friends with Captain Falcon.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If it turns out to be Spring Man anyway, that would be great, because Isaac would be extremely likely to come soon afterwards.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I prefer exaggerating things more often
Like the armor and designs in Guardian Heroes are cool to me cause they all have very long limbs and broad shoulders which helps make cartoony animations they do look good on them while still having big armor too. I dont think you really need to fit designs into stories, Over the top stuff can fit well into dark serious things. Giant Robo and Apocalypse Zero have over the top designs but still do tell serious stories.
Giant Mech Anime and Medieval Fantasy are very different things.

The problem wasn't exaggerating, the problem was putting words into my mouth. Don't do that. That's not cool at all.

Also, I didn't say you can't make the designs work. I said they tend to work better in magical stories, that's all.

That said, I've found the top-heavy thing to feel vastly unrealistic. Maybe it's just, as a more skinny person, I can't connect to. The broad shoulders thing doesn't really do much for me. I've found it to work fine(as I noted, for anime mechs, or generally giant robots), but it just feels off for regular humanoids. Though I think it works well on skeletons since they're not realistic people anyway. I've found it to work fine(mostly cause it's not armor) in Jojo, but that's a magical fantasy series by design anyway. Albeit, not all the designs work well either way.

I can't think of anything more to say, admittedly. We just simply don't like the same designs. No biggie.

D

Deleted member

What do you guys think of this idea for the Arms rep's reveal trailer?

Last edited by a moderator:

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
I'm not saying this as someone who's never really been interested in FE. I just think people tend to overexaggerate how successful it is because of one mobile game and the number of characters it has in Smash.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 12.45 million
Splatoon 2 - 9.81 million
Splatoon - 4.94 million
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - 3.04 million
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 2.58 million
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 1.88 million (first three days, Japan only)
Fire Emblem: Fates - 1.84 million
Fire Emblem: Awakening - 1.79 million

A lot of these numbers are old and are likely higher (particularly the 3DS games), but I don't think FE belongs in the same tier as Splatoon and AC. Sales have been almost identical to Kirby games, so whatever column Kirby belongs in is where I'd put FE.
Wow, you didn't count the 656 million dollars as of January 2020 of Fire Emblem Heroes, that's a fair comparison!

D

Deleted member

What do guys think of this idea for the Arms rep's reveal trailer?
That could be kinda fun.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What do guys think of this idea for the Arms rep's reveal trailer?
Would be great, cause I could see a Dixie Kong trailer being reused of the clips of K.Rool and Banjo as well. A continuation of sorts, starting with DK lying in front the TV eating bananas again, Diddy hanging on the tire rope, K.Rool on the floor, and Banjo doing whatever.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
You misspelled Spring Man.
Spring Man didn't win the last tournament that ended it's support which pitted each character against each other to see who was the best.
IMG_20200326_100441.jpg

Plus would be extremely weird to keep the character a mystery if it's Spring Man. That's like saying "it can be any character from the Street Fighter series" and it ends up as Ryu. You might as well say it if it was going to be the poster child.

Also honestly it would be super if they did that tournament to see who gets to be in Smash Bros and who gets to have the main role in ARMS 2. Kind of like Splatoon 1 Splatfest that was Callie vs Marie which influenced Splatoon 2's story.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I would love that!

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Spring Man didn't win the last tournament that ended it's support which pitted each character against each other to see who was the best.
View attachment 267554
Plus would be extremely weird to keep the character a mystery if it's Spring Man. That's like saying "it can be any character from the Street Fighter series" and it ends up as Ryu. You might as well say it if it was going to be the poster child.

Also honestly it would be super if they did that tournament to see who gets to be in Smash Bros and who gets to have the main role in ARMS 2. Kind of like Splatoon 1 Splatfest that was Callie vs Marie which influenced Splatoon 2's story.
Still misspelling Spring Man.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I really disliked the CG in that trailer but since development is more limited id imagine reusing assets more essential now

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I also think it will be Max Brass, not only for the reason you say but also his gimmick of buffing his chest would be pretty easy to put in Smash, will still making him feel like a unique character. I can also picture his final smash being a cutscene with Hedlok being attached to him as a reference to the grand prix mode.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Don't get me wrong, the character could easily be Min Min.

I just don't want people to put too much stock into a Splatfest-like event that was clearly supposed to be a grand finale of sorts, not a poll to see which character was most popular and should be included in Smash.

Wow, you didn't count the 656 million dollars as of January 2020 of Fire Emblem Heroes, that's a fair comparison!
M'kay, and have they been able to replicate that level of success anywhere else? You don't judge the success of a series by looking at only one game. You look at all of the games in the franchise.

If a series consistently gets high numbers, then that's a good indication that you have a strong franchise in your hands. That's not to say FE isn't successful because it is, but you can't say "Heroes made millions, therefore FE is equal to Splatoon and Animal Crossing." The best-selling FE game, which is a little shy of 3 million, isn't comparable to Splatoon (a new IP that beat the entire FE franchise's lifetime sales in only two games), and Animal Crossing (2/4 main entry titles have sales over 10 million, and it's fifth and latest installment will likely bring it to 3/5.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
So about the idea of the ARMs character having other ARMs characters as alts:

What if the reason for the development of this character being "exteeeeended" to June is because they plan on giving every alt unique animations to better represent the personalities of each ARMs character?
It's not just personalities that are different, it's also ability. You have Min Min who's left arm can turn into a dragon and a deflect kick, Twintelle who slows down time while dodging, Ninjara who vanishes, Helix who changes shape, Dr Coyle who has a third arm, Lola Pop who inflates, Misango who has power enhancement; there's a lot of things that makes characters unique. Trying to fit them all into one mold strips always the many unique abilities which matches their personalities.

Also each ARMS character all have different grab animations, there's a lot that makes these characters different.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Don't get me wrong, the character could easily be Min Min.

I just don't want people to put too much stock into a Splatfest-like event that was clearly supposed to be a grand finale of sorts, not a poll to see which character was most popular and should be included in Smash.

M'kay, and have they been able to replicate that level of success anywhere else? You don't judge the success of a series by looking at only one game. You look at all of the games in the franchise.

If a series consistently gets high numbers, then that's a good indication that you have a strong franchise in your hands. That's not to say FE isn't successful because it is, but you can't say "Heroes made millions, therefore FE is equal to Splatoon and Animal Crossing." The best-selling FE game, which is a little shy of 3 million, isn't comparable to Splatoon (a new IP that beat the entire FE franchise's lifetime sales in only two games), and Animal Crossing (2/4 main entry titles have sales over 10 million, and it's fifth and latest installment will likely bring it to 3/5.
to be fair, the final splatfest of Splatoon 1 (Callie vs Marie) had Marie winning and Callie becoming an antagonist in 2. Likewise, Pearl won the final fest of 2 (Chaos vs Order, Order being Marina) and the pre-fest dialogue said it was to shape the world in that image

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Valkyries is a goddess who come down to Marvel Land to fight against any evil that threatens it

Sandra/Whirlo(in EU) is green humanoid thing that is trying to find cure for his son, he travels all over Marvel Land with a pitchfork for the cure.. He ends up teaming up with Valkyrie in the third game.

Enjoy this cute fanart

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/50498382
I wouldn't mind having Valkyrie in Smash, in fact she was one the characters I was hoping would make into the base game, so I'm down for her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom