• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

It's sort of offensive how everyone assumes an Arms fighter could just be Springman + alts. That'd be like saying "the F-Zero rep should just be a brawler moveset with different racers as skins". They're all unique designs with unique abilities and different parameters, they're not going to shoehorn them all into one slot. I don't really care who it is but it's not going to be "all of them at once".
I guess that means each of the Koopaling shouldn’t be alts of Bowser Jr. because they each have unique designs and abilities.
Or that all four of the DQ Heroes should be unique from one another because they each have different spellsets.

But they aren’t.

And that’s okay.

Last edited by a moderator:

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
If everyone REALLY wants to play the card of 'Spring Man shouldn't be in Smash because he's an assist trophy' then why would ANY other ARMS character be in Smash, if they're either A, a Mii Costume like Ribbon Girl, or a spirit like everyone else?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
In that case with the next update they should remove Spring Man as an assist trophy.
They don't need to. They just have to disable the AT from appearing if the fighter was picked. As a matter of fact there already are ATs that are disabled from appearing in certain stages.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
They don't need to. They just have to disable the AT from appearing if the fighter was picked. As a matter of fact there already are ATs that are disabled from appearing in certain stages.
It would just feel weird having an character be both an assist and playable. That's all.

Why I say next update should remove him completely as an assist if he's the ARMS character.

Edit: They should replace him with Springtron.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It would just feel weird having an character be both an assist and playable. That's all.

Why I say next update should remove him completely as an assist if he's the ARMS character.
Chrom is both a fighter and a final smash. You can use Chrom to beat up Chrom and celebrate in the victory screen with Chrom as Chrom congratulates both of your victory.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Even better, when Springman joins the battle have Springtron take care of the assist trophy.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The thing with removing the Spring Man AT is that it would remove content for people who didn't buy the 2nd Season Pass. I would think it would be a situation where they simply disable it when Spring Man is on the field.

If Spring Man is the pick, that is.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Chrom is both a fighter and a final smash. You can use Chrom to beat up Chrom and celebrate in the victory screen with Chrom as Chrom congratulates both of your victory.
Changed my mind.

If Spring Man is the ARMS character. After the update Springtron takes his place as an assist. I'm all down for that.

D

Deleted member

Isn’t it weird that Chrom is both playable and a Final Smash?

Edit::ultgreninja:
Wow... My first Greninja'd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Man, you know how "meh" the ARMS fighter is when the Smashboards front page has yet to make a rush article on it.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Man, you know how "meh" the ARMS fighter is when the Smashboards front page has yet to make a rush article on it.
Bro we still haven't gotten the other Hero stock icons put in the website. It ain't about ARMS being meh.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The problem I see with making them alts of each-other isn't moveset, but personality. I haven't played much of ARMS, but I can't imagine Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, and Min Min have the same personality. They would have to have very basic taunts and win screens to make it work. It's the same problem that the Resident Evil 4-in-1 had.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If I remember correctly, Knuckles can't be summoned on Green Hill Zone.

So if Spring Man's AT is an issue to you, there's your solution. Just don't let the AT be summoned whenever he's one of the characters in a match.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Eh, what I'm doing is pointless debating as I have no control over the game nor will it change anything.

I'll say it again and finally be done with it. If its Spring Man. Once updated Springtron should take his place as an assist trophy.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Not surprised about this pick and it was a good one. However, I get the feeling that Spring Man was not intended to be the first character. I think COVID-19 messed up the original character because they could not make the proper travel arrangements during development process. Third-parties might get pushed back and could even end up in another FP all together due to COVID-19.
Regardless of who it is, development on this ARMS fighter would've started before the COVID-19 outbreak. It takes about seven months to make a fighter, after all.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I guess that means each of the Koopaling shouldn’t be alts of Bowser Jr. because they each have unique designs and abilities.
Or that all four of the DQ Heroes should be unique from one another because they each have different spellsets.

But they aren’t.

And that’s okay.
To be honest, I kind of don't like the Koopalings as alternate costumes of Bowser Jr. because it forces them all to use their New Super Mario Bros. personalities which are all super bland and interchangeable.

As far as the Heroes go, they're all spell casting self insert characters, so it makes sense that they all act the same and are able to cast a bunch of different spells from across the series.

Since ARMS is a fighting game, the character's identities are heavily based on what they do. Take that away from them and they'll feel a bit hollow (kinda like the Koopalings to be honest). Like, if Lola Pop was Spring Man's alternate costume then she'll just be Spring Man, but with a stupid getup.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So with that said.

Who do you guys think the ARMS character will be? Do you think it'll be the Bowser Jr. treatment, Hero treatment or just an single character?

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
The problem I see with making them alts of each-other isn't moveset, but personality. I haven't played much of ARMS, but I can't imagine Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, and Min Min have the same personality. They would have to have very basic taunts and win screens to make it work. It's the same problem that the Resident Evil 4-in-1 had.
Byleth and Byleth got different win screens, so it's not unprecedented for them to do that

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
It's sort of offensive how everyone assumes an Arms fighter could just be Springman + alts. That'd be like saying "the F-Zero rep should just be a brawler moveset with different racers as skins". They're all unique designs with unique abilities and different parameters, they're not going to shoehorn them all into one slot. I don't really care who it is but it's not going to be "all of them at once".
Its not a offensive assumption, A game like smash means limited choices and time.
Sometimes you have to reach a compromise that best fits.
I want Sonic moveset to be changed but clearly were going to be stuck with a his rushed brawl era self.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Its not a offensive assumption, A game like smash means limited choices and time.
I want Sonic moveset to be changed but clearly were going to be stuck with a his rushed brawl era self.
I would have loved to have seen Light Speed Dash as his side B and a few Sonic Battle moves. Just a bit of sprucing up.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Changed my mind.

If Spring Man is the ARMS character. After the update Springtron takes his place as an assist. I'm all down for that.
That doesn't account for his equippable Spirit that would need to be made into a Fighter Spirit, which can't be equipped. If Spring Man's a Fighter, his Spirit needs to have a complete overhaul to change its gameplay function i.e. taking away all of said function. What do they do about that?

Looking at ARMS for any amount of time will tell you how different the fighter's body types are. Add the unique abilities onto that and it becomes practically impossible to translate without taking something out of the character.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm saying that ARMS doesn't have to commit to Spring Man moving forward and that they could pivot to more popular characters at this point like Twintelle or Min Min as a mascot for future titles and move Spring Man back. Sort of shift off of Spring Man like Tekken did. Once you're an established icon, it's harder to argue including someone else, but ARMS is so new it doesn't have to be absolutely committed to Spring Man like Street Fighter does with Ryu or any number of other examples.
I think it's the other way around: the reason series like Tekken can swap protagonists is because other characters characters end up becoming iconic enough in their own right.

If SF6 comes out and it replaces Ryu with a no-name character, you bet SF fans will complain.

Nintendo would have nothing to gain by performing a protag switch for a fighting game series with only one entry. If this was an expansive JRPG, maybe, but ARMS is a fighting game. Character plays a bigger part in these than people think it does.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord

But they aren’t.

And that’s okay.
The ARMS fighters aren't all fighting in the same car like the Koopalings are so it's pretty hard to justify them fighting the exact same. Hero We didn't get something like "Edelgard, Claude, Dimitri and Byleth all playable but with weapons they don't normally use outside of reclassing" either even though it'd make about as much sense as all the Arms Fighters being the exact same.

Why would the best compromise be "one generic moveset slapped over several fighters" and not "fully realizing a single fighter"? They don't churn out echoes and alts for nothing, they're more scarce than that.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
That doesn't account for his equippable Spirit that would need to be made into a Fighter Spirit, which can't be equipped. If Spring Man's a Fighter, his Spirit needs to have a complete overhaul to change its gameplay function i.e. taking away all of said function. What do they do about that?
Just leave his base game spirit and have a different fighter spirit.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The existing spirit is renamed to "Spring Man (non-fighter)" and is unaffected. There is a new "Spring Man (Fighter Spirit)" added. Simple as that.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Just leave his base game spirit and have a different fighter spirit.
The existing spirit is renamed to "Spring Man (non-fighter)" and is unaffected. There is a new "Spring Man (Fighter Spirit)" added. Simple as that.
In addition... just have his Smash render as his Fighter Spirit, like with Cloud, Robin, and the two Pokemon Trainers.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Bro we still haven't gotten the other Hero stock icons put in the website. It ain't about ARMS being meh.
Chill bro it was a joke. I still didn't forget when mods took over three-four months just to add Terry's icon.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Looking at ARMS for any amount of time will tell you how different the fighter's body types are. Add the unique abilities onto that and it becomes practically impossible to translate without taking something out of the character.
Eh not really
Min Min, Ribbon, Ninjara, and plenty of others all are fairly the same average height and all have extendable arms. If Banjo can build off Ridley id say its possible.
Why would the best compromise be "one generic moveset slapped over several fighters" and not "fully realizing a single fighter"? They don't churn out echoes and alts for nothing, they're more scarce than that.
Who said it was going to be generic?
Not like Byleth just uses a sword whip, He uses weapons from the 3H lords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom