• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Imagine if Spring Man gets promoted but Waluigi or Issac don't.
On one hand I'm happy Spring-Man got in. On the other hand, R.I.P to Isaac.....for like the 4th time.

The Smash community in 2020 can be summarized by "those spoiled by :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: vs. those spoiled by :ultjoker::ulthero::ult_terry:".
I'd personally be spoiled by :ultridley::ult_terry::ultsimon::ultdarksamus:, Cause Metroid's my **** and Terry was my favorite SNK character when they could've went with Kyo.

Krankees

Smash Ace
God I really hope it's Min Min
I've wanted her for Smash dlc since it first got announced and it feels SO GOOD now that her chances skyrocketed :D
Also ARMS 2 incoming ! ^^
Finally getting the recognition it deserves...
I didn't realize I wanted her for smash until today.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think she's coming.
I wonder if this means she'll replace Max Brass as the boss of arcade mode in the alleged ARMS 2.

the final party crash bash was also Min Min vs Ninjara

...what if... Ninjara echo?
You know what? I'm calling it! The character will be Spring Man, with Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min as Echo Fighters bundled with him.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I wonder if this means she'll replace Max Brass as the boss of arcade mode in the alleged ARMS 2.

You know what? I'm calling it! The character will be Spring Man, with Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min as Echo Fighters bundled with him.
I think that characters cannot have more than one Echo.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think it's strange that Spring-Man in particular gets flak for being "boring", when the protagonist is more often than not deliberately created to be a "middle-of-the-road" kind of character, and protagonists are the most common inclusion for any series.

Like, I think Ryu is pretty boring compared to some of the other SF characters. I think Hero is more boring than some other DQ characters. I mean Byleth is basically a sentient piece of cardboard, any of the house leaders are infinitely more interesting.

But these complaints are lobbed against ol Springy like he'd be the first of his kind.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't even feel like we need Echoes to get more ARMS characters. Many of the ARMS characters have similar proportions to Spring Man, so if you're okay with them not getting their special abilities, I could see Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min working as alts.

It'd be a lot of work, but if Sakurai could do it with Hero, I think he could do it with Spring Man.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I think that characters cannot have more than one Echo.
Says who? I think it's incredibly unlikely, but at this point I wouldn't even rule this out entirely.

I think it's strange that Spring-Man in particular gets flak for being "boring", when the protagonist is more often than not deliberately created to be a "middle-of-the-road" kind of character, and protagonists are the most common inclusion for any series.

Like, I think Ryu is pretty boring compared to some of the other SF characters. I think Hero is more boring than some other DQ characters. I mean Byleth is basically a sentient piece of cardboard, any of the house leaders are infinitely more interesting.

But these complaints are lobbed against ol Springy like he'd be the first of his kind.
People only levy this criticism at Colgate Boy because they don't care about him. I bet that if Xenoblade Chronicles 2 wasn't as beloved as it is, people would be saying the same thing about Rex.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I bet that if Xenoblade Chronicles 2 wasn't as beloved as it is, people would be saying the same thing about Rex.
Haha you're wrong about Rex my dude.
People have already cried and complained about Rex and they still do to this day. I find it weird that people hate him when Rex is inoffensively bland at worst, like sure he's a shounen character, but he's not the first of his kind and he won't be the last.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

I think the difference here is, Ryu is someone you would call iconic. Spring Man is not iconic.

We also don't know Nintendo's plan for the series. They might decide to have a different protagonist going forward or even a different one for each game for all we know.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Idk, people were shouting "rent free!" about Byleth complaints literally hours after the reveal when it would be much stranger to not be talking about Byleth. I'm not sure critical thought or concern over timing is a necessary part of the equation.
I know that accusation of being angry prostitutes and salty were thrown at Byleth detractors the day he was revealed. Memes of that similar nature can be expected for Spring Man detractors should he be the character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Yeah I never really understood why it was always Spring Man in particular that gets this kind of treatment from the community when its a pretty standard trope when it comes to posterboy characters being all rounders and all.

At least I don't remember people throwing this kind of hissy fit with the likes of Ryu and all
Terry might have had a few angry Nakoruru and Mai fans on his case though, but still nowhere near the amount of flack Spring Man gets...

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Says who? I think it's incredibly unlikely, but at this point I wouldn't even rule this out entirely.
I don't think the engine can actually handle having more than one echo slot per character, since you can stack them. Granted they could change that, but that seems unlikely

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

You wanna know the difference between Spring Man and all those other characters? He isn’t playable at this point. If he were to be, expect him to be just as defended as any other fighter.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't think it's a matter of certain characters not getting special abilities.

I think it's more that if they go the Hero route with Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min-Min, and Ninjara, they could compile the different abilities into one moveset and make it exceptionally interesting.

This wouldn't be the first time they've taken liberties with characters regardless of the source material. Mario can shoot fireballs without a fire flower. Bowser speaks and makes goofy noises in Mario games, but sounds like a lizard monster. Donkey Kong doesn't have his goofy voice either. Zero Suit Samus has jet pack high heels. Shulk has Monado Smash, which doesn't exist in XC. Rosalina doesn't command Lumas in a puppeteer type thing. Dark Samus has abilities that Samus Aran doesn't.

I could go on, but Smash iterations are rarely 1:1, let's be honest. Luigi in Smash is pretty different from Luigi in many different iterations. The fact of the matter is, the development team will do what they need to do to accurately portray the game as best they can, with the best choice of character they make. There's like, what, 20 moves in Smash? You're telling me you can't take the abilities of each character and make it work?

They'd find a way to make it work if you ask me.

Something else I wanted to point out from earlier. It was mentioned that the Direct earlier mentioned "Fighter" as in singular. I believe Sakurai said the same thing just before E3, in terms of presenting a fighter the day after (around the time of the Smash tournament with the fake Smash ball thing). He then went on to show Hero (who was 4 in 1) and then Banjo. It doesn't mean anything.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Maybe Nintendo is genuinely putting "listen to the fans" above "follow the tradition." They're getting better at giving fans what they actually ask for. I could see them choosing a more popular side character over the boxart character assuming they finally recognize that main-character-first rule is kinda arbitrary and isn't worth sticking to if it means characters more people were rooting for have to get shoved to the sidelines.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I don't even feel like we need Echoes to get more ARMS characters. Many of the ARMS characters have similar proportions to Spring Man, so if you're okay with them not getting their special abilities, I could see Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min working as alts.

It'd be a lot of work, but if Sakurai could do it with Hero, I think he could do it with Spring Man.
I honestly think that’s probably the right call. (But Twintelle tho ;( )

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I just love how Nintendo does ONE thing and this entire thread is just like

1585264760153.png

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

ARMS isn't established as a franchise, Spring Man himself isn't particularly iconic or all that more important than his much more popular and interesting companions. ARMS can drop Spring Man as the mascot and pivot elsewhere, whereas Ryu and Hero are established faces of their respective games (Hero less so, but Sakurai wanted the protagonists and not Slime) and any of the three house leaders would be ignoring the others whereas Byleth is the "Main playable character" across the other storylines.

I think that's why Spring Man gets so much flak compared to others. There's no reason he has to be the protagonist at this point.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Honestly, assuming the composite ARMS character was Springoninja: Ramen Edition, it's not like their special attributes would be particularly strange to see another character perform:
  • Ribbon Girl has multiple jumps. Whoever gets in is gonna have that anyways.
  • Min-Min has aerial kicks, those could easily be worked into a moveset as n-air or up-air without it looking weird or detracting from the stretch. Dragon Arm will probably be sacrificed, but it could still be a special move if they really wanted it
  • Spring Man gets auto-charge on his arms at low health and can parry moves. Parries are already built in through perfect shielding, and his auto-charge mechanic can be applied to all (if the ARMS fighter even has a charge mechanic).
  • Ninjara is probably the toughest one. It would be kinda strange to see Spring Man or Ribbon Girl teleport, but it still wouldn't look that weird. Vanishing in and out of a white cloud fits fine with the aesthetics of the other characters.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Intuition says Spring Man, as Smash has always opted for protagonists.
But if anyone here has actually played ARMS (got mine on launch day like a good Nintendo slave), you'll know that every character has access to all arms, and the only difference is their abilities.
So I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that we're getting a Hero situation and will be getting Multiple characters in one slot.
Specifically, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min.
Mechanica, Max Brass, and Master Mummy are physically too large to be model swapped with the more popular characters.
Twintelle is very popular, but she uses her hair to punch, so that couldn't be model swapped.
Barq's gimmick rules out Byte and Barq.
Helix could work, but he moves to.... jiggly? to look natural as a model swap.
And the other characters are simply less popular.
So there's my prediction.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Maybe Nintendo is genuinely putting "listen to the fans" above "follow the tradition." They're getting better at giving fans what they actually ask for. I could see them choosing a more popular side character over the boxart character assuming they finally recognize that main-character-first rule is kinda arbitrary and isn't worth sticking to if it means characters more people were rooting for have to get shoved to the sidelines.
If that were the case, I very much doubt they'd have picked ARMS as a franchise to begin with. As far as I've seen, there are far more popular first party requests than anyone from ARMS.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Haha you're wrong about Rex my dude.
People have already cried and complained about Rex and they still do to this day. I find it weird that people hate him when Rex is inoffensively bland at worst, like sure he's a shounen character, but he's not the first of his kind and he won't be the last.
Wasn't saying that I find Rex was boring or anything, just making a point.

I don't think the engine can actually handle having more than one echo slot per character, since you can stack them. Granted they could change that, but that seems unlikely
Hmm, good point. Didn't even consider that.

So, ARMS reveal, I'm a tad bit late, but what do you guys think?
Not disappointed. While I haven't played any of ARMS, I like the characters and I think they could offer something truly special to Smash. I'm not even mad that we don't know who specifically it's going to be, given how much we've got to talk about now and at least we have some general idea of what's coming.

Chun-Li would be pretty hype. If we can't get someone from Tekken, getting more from SF would be fine with me too.
I agree. If not Heihachi, Chun-Li is a fine compromise.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
ARMS isn't established as a franchise, Spring Man himself isn't particularly iconic or all that more important than his much more popular and interesting companions. ARMS can drop Spring Man as the mascot and pivot elsewhere, whereas Ryu and Hero are established faces of their respective games (Hero less so, but Sakurai wanted the protagonists and not Slime) and any of the three house leaders would be ignoring the others whereas Byleth is the "Main playable character" across the other storylines.

I think that's why Spring Man gets so much flak compared to others. There's no reason he has to be the protagonist at this point.
...And how did characters like Ryu become iconic? It's not just that he's a "pioneer" in his genre, but rather that he got developed over the course of several titles. The current Ryu is hardly the exact same as SF1 Ryu. At "this point", ARMS, and consequently Spring Man, only have one game.

So yeah. You can only establish ARMS as a franchise and Spring Man as iconic if you push them to some extent. Don't see what the issue is here.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Chun-Li would be pretty hype. If we can't get someone from Tekken, getting more from SF would be fine with me too.
I mean, Chun Ali would definitely be a ground-breaking addition not just because she’s the first non-echo newcomer from an already-represented third-party franchise, but also because of just how iconic she is.

ZelDan

Smash Master
like many others, I actually think they will pull a Hero or Bowser Jr. with the ARMS Rep and have Spring man along with 3 or 7 other characters as alts. beyond that though, I could also see them including whatever characters AREN'T playable/alts as part of whatever the ARMs stage is, either as background elements or maybe have them involved in the stage as obstacles or bosses of sorts.

They might try and pull a "So which of these 15 characters are getting into Ultimate? ALL OF THEM!", or something along those lines.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Wasn't saying that I find Rex was boring or anything, just making a point.
Oh I know, I was saying that people have already complained about Rex just like how there are people currently complaining about Spring Man.
smh if Mario as a franchise started today they'd complain about Mario too for being bland.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
...And how did characters like Ryu become iconic? It's not just that he's a "pioneer" in his genre, but rather that he got developed over the course of several titles. The current Ryu is hardly the exact same as SF1 Ryu. At "this point", ARMS, and consequently Spring Man, only have one game.

So yeah. You can only establish ARMS as a franchise and Spring Man as iconic if you push them to some extent. Don't see what the issue is here.
I'm saying that ARMS doesn't have to commit to Spring Man moving forward and that they could pivot to more popular characters at this point like Twintelle or Min Min as a mascot for future titles and move Spring Man back. Sort of shift off of Spring Man like Tekken did. Once you're an established icon, it's harder to argue including someone else, but ARMS is so new it doesn't have to be absolutely committed to Spring Man like Street Fighter does with Ryu or any number of other examples.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But if anyone here has actually played ARMS (got mine on launch day like a good Nintendo slave), you'll know that every character has access to all arms, and the only difference is their abilities.
What if we get 15 alt costumes for literally everyone

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Oh I know, I was saying that people have already complained about Rex just like how there are people currently complaining about Spring Man.
smh if Mario as a franchise started today they'd complain about Mario too for being bland.
I mean... he kind of is compared to Luigi at this point?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
“Mario’s so boring, he’s just a generic Italian stereotype!”

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Going with Minmin after she won the in-game Arms popularity contest would be a good move imo. Although for my money it's gotta be Master Mummy, y'know what I'm saying?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

The mascot rarely ends up being the most popular character, and that's usually because they're specifically designed to look average or capture the overall theme of a game. Spring Man is a boxer, which is what ARMS is supposed to be - a boxing game. The game isn't about pop stars, ninjas, noodle vendors, or movie celebrities.

I really don't see a point in Nintendo ditching Spring Man and jumping over to Min Min or Twintelle just because they're more popular. They really don't capture the essence of ARMS as well as Spring Man does.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I mean Mario is pretty weird in Smash. Like, Smash Mario is honestly super sick as a character, he feels amazing to play, but it also feels literally nothing like Mario? I don't look at Smash Mario and think "oh yea, that's Mario from Super Mario", I think "Oh, that's Smash Mario", my brain just treats them like two entirely separate entities.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

While Byleth is indeed a piece of cardboard in his game, in Smash he use every of the relic weapon of the house leaders, so I think this make him more interesting because it still makes sense to see him using these weapons.

Not only Spring man is boring in his game but I can hardly imagine him using other characters abilities like Byleth use other Lords weapons. Like, I can't imagine Spring man being invisible like Dr. Coyle, having super armor like Master mummy and Max brass, inflating himself like Lola pop, having a dog like Byte and bark and so on.

Also these complains are not Spring man specific, Byleth and Hero got the same complain. Ryu got less complain because while he's not that intersting, he still very unique (and having Street fighter in Smash was hype no mather who was chosen).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think part of my reasoning for not jumping on the anti-Spring Man train is that this was the same conversation people had about Byleth and the house leaders.

Edelgard drives the story, she uses an axe, Dimitri is cool and uses a lance, Claude uses a bow. All cool and true, but we got Byleth.

I still think Min Min could work, as she’s the pick that is evidently most popular. Still thinking it’s a Hero type just based on the reveal today. If it were Spring Man, why not just show his render or something? If it were any one character, just show the render?

But you build up hype around the game, get people talking about it, and then lead them on. Trailer starts with Spring Man, then, after he whoops some ass, have Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Ninjara, all show up to challenge him and resume gameplay.

I could be wrong, but I can totally see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom