• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
Kinda low-key excited for that ARMS character... not so much because I'm an ARMS fan (it's cool to see it get a playable character, but I haven't played the game yet and thus have no attachment), but mostly for what the inclusion could possibly mean going forward. ARMS already had content in Smash prior to Fighters Pass 2, which means the idea that each DLC character needs to bring in "new worlds" (i.e. content that's completely new to Smash) is now dead. Depending on who it is...
  • If it's Twintelle, Min-Min, or any of the other ARMS spirits already in the game, that means Spirits no longer deconfirm.
  • If it's Ribbon Girl, we can also cross off Mii Fighter costumes.
  • If it's Spring Man, then there goes Assist Trophies, and now anyone is fair game.
Smash speculation could potentially get real interesting come June...

Speaking of JoJo spoilers...
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Shame. Was really pulling for Avdol to make it into Smash, but I suppose he'll have to get his chance another day...
We really ARE in the endgame, now.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
the funny thing in terms of casual play the only dlc thats ever been really good in casual play are byleth and corrin smash 4. all of the others are iffy at best even cloud and bayo in smash 4 werent good in causal play.

smash isnt designed with the craziness marvel 3 was. marvel three was a game about being as wild as possible ultimate doesnt like major outliers.

as for dr. coyle having a flaot that would be nice its long past time a seocnd character gets that. imo.
im not really worried about the range of attacks as her or any other ARMs characters because their hurtbox extends with her attacks. An ARMs character is much more Dhalsim than melee marth.
The **** you mean Cloud wasn't good casually? All of Cloud's 1v1 strengths applied to FFAs too, the only bad part about Cloud in FFAs was that the screen would zoom in on Limit moves which was really distracting as barely any other moves had the same effect
you have it backwards. time slow and shadow have been in smash since brawl. and shulk had it before bayo was in the game as well. bayo just applied an items effect into her moveset (one of the things that made her realizable to make in 4)
I meant for her visual effect, the purple circle was unique to her in Smash 4, but Ultimate changed that
I said I would be fine even if the character was Spring Man, and that's partially because I genuinely like him.

You can hold a grudge against Nintendo if you'd like for not saying in the very beginning that they chose the generic ARMS mascot, but don't act like Spring Man doesn't have his own supporters rooting for him to be the character in the DLC.
Dude I'm clearly saying the issue is hyping up that literally ANYONE could be in and then going "Surprise it's the protag meaning we weren't actually considering any other options". My issue with Spring Man here would not ****ing exist if they just went "SPRING MAN JOINS THE BATTLE" instead of Guess Who
No.

It would be a pretty big surprise as well.

Actually it doesn't. You can disable ARMS by hitting them, but you don't take damage from doing from getting hit in the ARMS. (Though I will concede that this is the easiest thing to take creative liberties with. EDIT: In fact, you might should since that could be kinda awkward in Smash, though it would certainly punish players that just throw out attacks.)
That edit wasn't there when I hit quote

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
No one...because this community really does come with some REALLY high expectations at this point.
Hey, I only want Crash, Dante, 2B, Master Chief, Heihachi and Geno as part of the second fighter pass, that doesn't seem like high expectations!:troll:

Spring Man is kinda unfairly hated for being the poster child of ARMS. I'd be fine if the character just ended up being him. He isn't my favorite, but if you told me to pick out half of the ARMS cast that I like the most, he'd be in there somewhere.

Personally, I don't think the character they choose matters much. A majority of the moveset will likely focus on the springy arms and different gloves anyway. Basically, the stuff any of the characters could do. A character's special ability (like Twintelle's ability to slow down time for example), might give us a special move or two, but it probably won't be the focus of the moveset.
Eh, people will get over it. Some will whine, but most would be fine with Spring Man. He's certainly not going to be the most controversial Smash DLC character in history.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Nah since Joker was a good indication of what FP1 (mostly characters from third party that Nintendo has a solid relationship) I think starting off with Arms is a good indication that it will be mostly first party characters with one or two third parties sort as an inverse of FP1.
If ARMS is an indication of what season 2 will be like, then I'm guessing it'd be underwhelming with Switch game promo picks.

They're going to use the momentum to promote and bring into light games or series they want to do well on the Switch then.

Season 1 spoiled us by giving us hype af characters and now I'm left wondering if season 2 will live up to that if ARMS is an indication of what's to come.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I can see why Nintendo decided to not say who's the fighter. That way they create speculation around ARMS, which is obviously more exposure and awareness for the franchise.
At the same time, I think it's pretty lame for them to not reveal who's the fighter. Specially if ends being Spring Man. Nothing against the guy, I like him, but with the no build-up to the reveal and not saying who's the fighter, I think they could have done this better. Just my opinion.

blackghost

Smash Champion
The **** you mean Cloud wasn't good casually? All of Cloud's 1v1 strengths applied to FFAs too, the only bad part about Cloud in FFAs was that the screen would zoom in on Limit moves which was really distracting as barely any other moves had the same effect
cloud.exe has stopped working because he was hit offstage with a random item would you like to continue?
not to mention his limited recovery because when you leave the strictly "competitive stages" recovery matters a lot more and not all of them have ledges.

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
Nothing like going through social media and seeing everyone dunking on Spring Man and hoping he's not the one chosen, I know everyone has they're favorites but c'mon man, and it's probably gonna be like this for the 3 months ain't it, its Erdrick all over again...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I can see why Nintendo decided to not say who's the fighter. That way they create speculation around ARMS, which is obviously more exposure and awareness for the franchise.
At the same time, I think it's pretty lame for them to not reveal who's the fighter. Specially if ends being Spring Man. Nothing against the guy, I like him, but with the no build-up to the reveal and not saying who's the fighter, I think they could have done this better. Just my opinion.
Then watch these whole three months it was Spting Man all along.

Didn't see that coming amIrite?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
cloud.exe has stopped working because he was hit offstage with a random item would you like to continue?
not to mention his limited recovery because when you leave the strictly "competitive stages" recovery matters a lot more and not all of them have ledges.
That doesn't remove his fast, beefy disjoints though, FFA meta benefits characters with beefy hitboxes, and this scenario applies to literally everyone if they already used their extra jump. Not to mention Limit wouldn't go away over time meaning a Cloud player can just hold onto it exclusively for recovery purposes and still get to benefit from the stat boosts

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So you'd go "SMASH IS GETTING A STREET FIGHTER CHARACTER! But who will it beeeeeee" for 3 months, teasing fans that it may be one of the more popular side characters, giving them hope because there's NO reason to do that for the protagonist only to go "WOOOOOW LOOK IT'S THE PROTAGONIST! SUCH A DARKHORSE PICK FOR THIS SPECIFIC FRANCHISE!"
Or, they subvert your expectations by including more than just Spring Man. I could see this going multiple ways:
  • Two characters, Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, with four alts each as most gendered characters have.
  • Four characters, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Min-Min, with two alts each a la Hero.
  • Eight characters, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Master Mummy, Min-Min, Mechanica, Max Brass, and Dr. Coyle, a la Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings.
Seriously girl, you gotta calm down.

So I notice how some says an ARMS rep might get the Bowser Jr. treatment.

Reminder that all the ARMS characters have different body heights, dimensions and proportions so that couldn't work.
So do the Koopalings, and yet they worked out fine.

ARMS being revealed with almost no fanfare is very fitting for that franchise
How?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I hope the people complaining now are prepared to have their grievances dismissed against of chorus of "haters!""rent free!" and "hoes mad!" come June, in the typical gloating fashion that no one seems to realize is as uncouth as those they deride on the opposing side.

It's a lovely little system we have.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah Spring Man deserves to be in at least, unlike Byleth there is no saving that choice haha
At least Byleth was dealt with as soon as they happened. Nintendo didn't even give us a name and said "Yeah you're not gonna know for 3 more months, thanks for the fighter pass purchase 5 months ago tho"
Or, they subvert your expectations by including more than just Spring Man. I could see this going multiple ways:
  • Two characters, Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, with four alts each as most gendered characters have.
  • Four characters, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Min-Min, with two alts each a la Hero.
  • Eight characters, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Master Mummy, Min-Min, Mechanica, Max Brass, and Dr. Coyle, a la Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings.
Seriously girl, you gotta calm down.

So do the Koopalings, and yet they worked out fine.

How?
Those 8 characters don't even all have the same body types. The issue with a Hero stunt is that it's still Spring Man on the CSS. It's still Spring Man on the banner. It's still Spring Man on the eshop and it'll always just be acknowledged a Spring Man, if this was just for alts, then they should have just gone "Yup it's Spring Man" and surprise people with the alts in the trailer, none of this bait and switch but not really ****.
I hope the people complaining now are prepared to have their grievances dismissed against of chorus of "haters!""rent free!" and "hoes mad!" come June, in the typical gloating fashion that no one seems to realize is as uncouth as those they deride on the opposing side.

It hasn't even been 12 hours, when it becomes 12 weeks, you'll have a point for the former two

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Me and half a dozen others, I think.

Anyway, more fighter packs!
>#16 - salty
niiice

also, more Spirits than Banjo & Kazooie :joyful:love it

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
twist: fighter pass 2 is actually just characters people thought would be in the base game, because nintendo got confused and assumed people were putting them on prediction lists and making fakes of them because they really wanted them in so they're all early switch titles and late era wii u games except elma because even nintendo knows no-one wants xenoblade x

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It hasn't even been 12 hours, when it becomes 12 weeks, you'll have a point for the former two
Idk, people were shouting "rent free!" about Byleth complaints literally hours after the reveal when it would be much stranger to not be talking about Byleth. I'm not sure critical thought or concern over timing is a necessary part of the equation.

zferolie

Smash Hero
At least Byleth was dealt with as soon as they happened. Nintendo didn't even give us a name and said "Yeah you're not gonna know for 3 more months, thanks for the fighter pass purchase 5 months ago tho"

Those 8 characters don't even all have the same body types. The issue with a Hero stunt is that it's still Spring Man on the CSS. It's still Spring Man on the banner. It's still Spring Man on the eshop and it'll always just be acknowledged a Spring Man, if this was just for alts, then they should have just gone "Yup it's Spring Man" and surprise people with the alts in the trailer, none of this bait and switch but not really ****.

Gonna say, even if they go the Hero Route, the could still lead with Ribbon Girl as the front runner, as she is the mascot as much as Spring man. Heck, could lead with Min Min just because of how Popular she is.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Idk, people were shouting "rent free!" about Byleth complaints literally hours after the reveal when it would be much stranger to not be talking about Byleth. I'm not sure critical thought or concern over timing is a necessary part of the equation.
I didn't see Rent Free until early March personally but the people saying it mere hours after the fact were in the wrong then
Gonna say, even if they go the Hero Route, the could still lead with Ribbon Girl as the front runner, as she is the mascot as much as Spring man. Heck, could lead with Min Min just because of how Popular she is.
Idk man, we can't even get the female variants of the FE cast as the default despite being the more popular one and FE having a huge female fanbase, they're not going to remove the spotlight from their mascot who's so special because he's the most boring one

D

Deleted member

Good morning.

Haven't watched the Mini Direct...but damn, did everyone just wake up asking for ARMS lately? I'll go check.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Sorry for bringing up this topic again but I've been thinking about it and it still makes no sense to me how this is a shill/business decision. When I think about it the free trial for ARMS seems more useful for the purpose of hyping people up about this new character by utilizing the original game, not the other way around like some people say. I just can't believe that there are some suits in Nintendo deluded enough to believe they can give a second wind to a 3 year old game just because of a cross-promotion in Smash, Ike making it in Brawl did very little for the sales of Radiant Dawn for example. There will be some people who buy ARMS after this, sure, but they will be marginal sales. The only way it would make sense to me is if there were a new ARMS game coming soon, but there is no indication of that happening.

I honestly believe that it's way more likely that Nintendo simply saw the game as a success (reaching 2 million sales with your first title is definitely not a small feat), and wanted to reward the developers in a way, maybe some of them even asked Nintendo for this and they simply accepted. I think there is no doubt now that season 2 wasn't initially planned so Nintendo might be more relaxed with this pass' picks. Or not, who knows. I'm just trying to say not everything is necessarily a ruthless, coldblooded and calculated business decision and that there are real people behind these games with their own wishes and wants.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Personally I prefer to take the high road and just live happy knowing that ARMS got a character and hoping that it's Spring Man.

Sure, maybe it would prove a point if the sore winners became sore losers and vice versa, but at this point I just want this community to shut up and let people defend what they like and criticize what they don't.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
twist: fighter pass 2 is actually just characters people thought would be in the base game, because nintendo got confused and assumed people were putting them on prediction lists and making fakes of them because they really wanted them in so they're all early switch titles and late era wii u games except elma because even nintendo knows no-one wants xenoblade x
Decidueye... win.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Sorry for bringing up this topic again but I've been thinking about it and it still makes no sense to me how this is a shill/business decision. When I think about it the free trial for ARMS seems more useful for the purpose of hyping people up about this new character by utilizing the original game, not the other way around like some people say. I just can't believe that there are some suits in Nintendo deluded enough to believe they can give a second wind to a 3 year old game just because of a cross-promotion in Smash, Ike making it in Brawl did very little for the sales of Radiant Dawn for example. There will be some people who buy ARMS after this, sure, but they will be marginal sales. The only way it would make sense to me is if there were a new ARMS game coming soon, but there is no indication of that happening.

I honestly believe that it's way more likely that Nintendo simply saw the game as a success (reaching 2 million sales with your first title is definitely not a small feat), and wanted to reward the developers in a way, maybe some of them even asked Nintendo for this and they simply accepted. I think there is no doubt now that season 2 wasn't initially planned so Nintendo might be more relaxed with this pass' picks. Or not, who knows. I'm just trying to say not everything is necessarily a ruthless, coldblooded and calculated business decision and that there are real people behind these games with their own wishes and wants.
Same. I think too many people see a first party character and think its an auto shill pick just because. But like.... what are they shilling here? There's no ARMS 2 announcement or rumors and the free trial of the game is to complement the DLC pick, not the other way around. They wanted to include a first party rep and they picked a character from a series not in the game yet. Sometime thats all there is to it

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Another argument against Spring Man's favor. Since he has an model in the game. Development time on him would be way shorter. As said if it were him they would have announced it was him. The fact they didn't makes me think they're trying to surprise us.
He could have a gimmick to work on or most of the work could just be put in different animations. Character development takes longer than you’d think.

Assist trophy models also aren’t as high quality as the playable characters so it would definitely need to be tweaked.

I find it hard to believe that they will pick a character who isn’t springman and as they didn’t reveal them right away imo that suggests that it will be a hero type deal like others have theorised.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It depends on who it is. If is Spring Man, then all Assist trophies are open. If its Ribbon Girl Rex is open. If its one of the ones thats a Spirit then all spirits are open
This could lead to something....A NEW ERA OF SHILLING BEGINS!

Theres boutta be a fight.gif

Anyway, in this post I will explain why Mega Man X is the best game ever made and putting it's lead character, the titular Mega Man X, or Rock Man X in Japan in Smash would be a fantastic choice. He debuted in 1993 on the Super Famicom or the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. The Mega Man X series introduced many new staple mechanics such as Wall Jumping, Wall Sliding, Dashing, Air-Dashing, Up-gradable Armors and Chargeable Special Weapons.

Of course, we can't forget Jin Kazama from the Tekken series, who debuted in the series' most popular title, Tekken 3, which released in 1997 in Arcades and on console in the following year. Tekken features 3D side-stepping and an intuitive 4 limb button system, so punches and kicks were no longer mapped to strength but to body parts no matter which side of the stage you are on.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I can understand why some people might be disappointed, but ARMS getting the first character makes me think this pass is closer to my style. People were excited for a pass full of third-parties, but pretty much nothing people predicted came to fruition (besides Banjo). One pass later and we're still predicting Crash, Doomguy, Dante, Lloyd, Ryu Hayabusa, and every other character we were saying since before Joker. The characters we did get were almost nonexistent here. How many times were Joker, Luminary, and Terry brought up?

Nintendo characters are easier to narrow down, so the odds of me getting a first-party I want are a lot higher than they are with third-parties. I think that's part of the reason why I have that preference.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think too many people see a character and think its an auto shill pick just because.
Fixed that for you.

Still getting flashbacks from people expecting Persona 5 Royal on Switch, calling Hero a shill pick because of DQXIS, and saying that Terry was there to shill the NEO GEO ports of all things.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I really think it's gonna be a Koopaling/Hero type of deal.

I doubt Sakurai is not gonna add the main character just because he's an assist trophy.
Yeah, part of me thinks it'll be similar to the Koopalings as well, although the extent this reaches out, I don't know. But I'm pretty damn Happy ARMS is getting a character. Of course ****** are always gonna complain. But hey, ARMS has good music even if you don't like the game.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So I'm not personally super interested in ARMS, but man this is exciting to me in a weird way anyway. This is basially the perfect opening for the pass for me, aside from just revealing one of my most wanted, in terms of what it could mean for the pass moving forward.

I've been cautiously optimistic about more 1st parties in this pass, and while this is by no means proof of what the remainder will look like, it's a good start. And depending on how this turns out it also has interesting implications with respect to spirits and/or ATs, which is only good news as far as I'm concerned. Dixie and Isaac potentially having better chances is always a good thing on my end. And Bomberman too for that matter.

And beyond that, as much I don't care much for the game ARMS, whichever character they choose will be very unique. Which is always a good thing.

Man, I'm just excited to see how this pans out. =D

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
While thinking about it, I think I came to understand why people say "main protagonist/mascot first."

If ATs/Spirits disconfirm, it's gonna be weird seeing ARMS's main faces or popular characters be unplayable while a different one got to be a fighter first. I haven't played ARMS, but still it'd seem weird.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
God I really hope it's Min Min
I've wanted her for Smash dlc since it first got announced and it feels SO GOOD now that her chances skyrocketed :D
Also ARMS 2 incoming ! ^^
Finally getting the recognition it deserves...

MagnesD3

Smash Master
While thinking about it, I think I came to understand why people say "main protagonist/mascot first."

If ATs/Spirits disconfirm, it's gonna be weird seeing ARMS's main faces or popular characters be unplayable while a different one got to be a fighter first. I haven't played ARMS, but still it'd seem weird.
It’s also like an all star/history thing Smash is supposed to be about repping the franchise first and foremost so not having the main character be playable is a bad move imo. Like marth is a pretty bland character right, there are tons of more popular characters with crazy abilities that would be cool but marth needs to be there because he is the most important to the game franchise, same goes for most protags really.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom