• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
ARMS GANG rise up. I wonder if Spring-Man will a costume for the character or something.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Just wanted to share this amazing meme:

Another argument in Spring Man's favor. Since he has an model in the game. Development time on him would be way shorter.
Not only that, they also have a good deal of animations to work with.

As said if it were him they would have announced it was him. The fact they didn't makes me think they're trying to surprise us.
I think they just wanted to get us thinking it was only one character so they can blow us away later by revealing that EVERYONE IS HERE!:ultpacman:

I disagree here, it's more of a "So much for expecting a ****ing name. Now guess who so we can hype up Colgate Boy so we can pretend people like him"
**** you, I like Colgate Boy.

People sure are up in arms about who the character could be
I gotta hand it to them, I didn't think they could reach such depraved depths.

Hmm...I wonder if this would give more credence to the idea that he comes with an Echo Fighter since most of the work's already been done with Spring Man's model. Then again taking what we have and turning it into the same quality models as a fighter might require redoing it anyway so perhaps not.
Sakurai already said that the DLC fighters wouldn't be Echoes though, didn't he? Of course, I don't think this would entirely stop them from including an Echo Fighter if they wanted to, but given how much work they're putting into these new ones, I don't think they'd want to spend precious dev time on something so minor.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You misunderstood and should had been more clear. I'm thinking its not Spring Man because if it were it wouldn't take until June for him to come out. With an already existing model in the game development time shouldn't take that long.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
Wow that was really it. Nothing against Arms but damn what a boring way to reveal a Fighter. Hey FP6 is from this game, peace out. So much for expecting something big and surprising to kick off the second pass.
I didn't expect anything big. ESPECIALLY this month. The virus basically screwed everything up for everyone. Seems outlandish for some big and snazzy reveal, when travel is near impossible. Seems better to just get it right out than wait for news all the way until June.

ARMS may not be "big", but let's not pretend like this wasn't suprising. Who was expecting an ARMS rep?
No one...because this community really does come with some REALLY high expectations at this point.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
tfw I have to go through another 3 months of 2020 nonsense for a slim chance that my noodle girl ends up getting chosen out of several possible options
1585258797413.png

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Shame, really. A spring release would have been perfect.
*snaps fingers and makes finger guns*
I see what you did there.

ARMS GANG rise up. I wonder if Spring-Man will a costume for the character or something.
Hopefully "or something".

Sakurai already said that the DLC fighters wouldn't be Echoes though, didn't he? Of course, I don't think this would entirely stop them from including an Echo Fighter if they wanted to, but given how much work they're putting into these new ones, I don't think they'd want to spend precious dev time on something so minor.
Perhaps, but I think it would be fine if Spring Man, a completely original character, came with echo fighter(s) of himself. Especially since it would mean properly representing the franchise and also not being boring from a character standpoint.

You misunderstood and should had been more clear. I'm thinking its not Spring Man because if it were it wouldn't take until June for him to come out. With an already existing model in the game development time shouldn't take that long.
Not necessarily. Even if his existing model was able to be upresed into the same quality as a fighter (which I'm skeptical of because it's never that simple it seems), you'd still need the time to make a moveset, animate it, program it, potentially voice it, bug test it, and balance it. That and it's probably not the only character they're working on.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Spring Man is kinda unfairly hated for being the poster child of ARMS. I'd be fine if the character just ended up being him. He isn't my favorite, but if you told me to pick out half of the ARMS cast that I like the most, he'd be in there somewhere.

Personally, I don't think the character they choose matters much. A majority of the moveset will likely focus on the springy arms and different gloves anyway. Basically, the stuff any of the characters could do. A character's special ability (like Twintelle's ability to slow down time for example), might give us a special move or two, but it probably won't be the focus of the moveset.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I think they just wanted to get us thinking it was only one character so they can blow us away later by revealing that EVERYONE IS HERE!:ultpacman:

**** you, I like Colgate Boy.

I gotta hand it to them, I didn't think they could reach such depraved depths.

This man's really saying that when looking at a bunch of characters who all have a gimmick to stand out from each other his pick is the one who's gimmick is "Hi I'm boring as hell" smh

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not necessarily. Even if his existing model was able to be upresed into the same quality as a fighter (which I'm skeptical of because it's never that simple it seems), you'd still need the time to make a moveset, animate it, program it, potentially voice it, bug test it, and balance it. That and it's probably not the only character they're working on.
Still fact they didn't reveal who it was makes me think its an surprise. If it were Spring Man I feel they would had revealed him.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
**** it, time for crazy talk.

They didn't reveal who the character because they plan for ARMS 2 to be reveal in June and a character from that one is our Arms rep.
Heh, never thought of that. Yes the whole to promote an ARMS 2 but not said rep that debuts in it. Could very well be the new face or something.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
Still fact they didn't reveal who it was makes me think its an surprise. If it were Spring Man I feel they would had revealed him.
Maybe there just wasn't development time to show him off? March has been crazy. Odds are if it IS Spring Man, then his moveset'll be reworked completely compared to his assist trophy counterpart. There's a lot in his movesets to work with more than the punches we've already seen in Ultimate.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Spring Man is kinda unfairly hated for being the poster child of ARMS. I'd be fine if the character just ended up being him. He isn't my favorite, but if you told me to pick out half of the ARMS cast that I like the most, he'd be in there somewhere.

Personally, I don't think the character they choose matters much. A majority of the moveset will likely focus on the springy arms and different gloves anyway. Basically, the stuff any of the characters could do. A character's special ability (like Twintelle's ability to slow down time for example), might give us a special move or two, but it probably won't be the focus of the moveset.
It wouldn't be 'fine' at all. Imagine at E3, Nintendo goes 'A beloved IP will finally get a new game!' And after 3 months go "You guys it's a Mario game! The most obvious ****ing thing and not worth hyping up for 3 months! **** you if you wanted a franchise that doesn't get new games every year, buy Mario!". The whole point of the Guess Who would be an incredibly awful bait and switch, because there was no point to it

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This man's really saying that when looking at a bunch of characters who all have a gimmick to stand out from each other his pick is the one who's gimmick is "Hi I'm boring as hell" smh
Honestly, I'd do the same. Anyone else would be like adding M. Bison, Zangief, Chun-Li, or Ken before Ryu.

EDIT: This is why I want an echo fighter bundle; It lets us have Ryu, and someone actually interesting.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I just wish I felt sated in some way with that direct, I needed something like super Mario Odyssey 2, Paper Mario 3, Bayo 3, Metroid Prime 4, Breath 2, retro new ip or a name and trailer lol just something cool

D

Deleted member

Boy, the way they revealed an ARMS character was pretty underwhelming. Whether if COVID-19 did stifle the announcement or not, I can't really say I'm excited for the lineup of Vol 2 right now since 3rd Parties are more interesting than anymore Nintendo characters to me. With development on hold until things become safe again, we're probably gonna be in for a major drought gap between FP6 and FP7, so that isn't great.

Other than that, this is certainly a good time for Nintendo to capitalize on getting more people invested with ARMS than ever before cause I'm sure as **** there's way more active players in Ultimate than ARMS before today. I also have a reason to care about seeing Max Brass in Smash now, so this isn't all bad. I'd even support if all those characters on display were red herrings and the ARMS rep is actually a completely new character being added to the game.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
I just wish I felt sated in some way with that direct, I needed something like super Mario Odyssey 2, Paper Mario 3, Bayo 3, Metroid Prime 4, Breath 2, retro new ip or a name and trailer lol just something cool
Didn't...the company that made the Paper Mario series close?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Honestly, I'd do the same. Anyone else would be like adding M. Bison, Zangief, Chun-Li, or Ken before Ryu.
So you'd go "SMASH IS GETTING A STREET FIGHTER CHARACTER! But who will it beeeeeee" for 3 months, teasing fans that it may be one of the more popular side characters, giving them hope because there's NO reason to do that for the protagonist only to go "WOOOOOW LOOK IT'S THE PROTAGONIST! SUCH A DARKHORSE PICK FOR THIS SPECIFIC FRANCHISE!"

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Heh, never thought of that. Yes the whole to promote an ARMS 2 but not said rep that debuts in it. Could very well be the new face or something.
After today Arms 2 being in development does seem a lot more likely at least with its trial, Smash rep, and doing an North American Online tournament next weekend. I would not be surprised if Nintendo announces it during the June direct.
Its easy to forget, but that game did sell 2 million copies and was the first true major Nintendo first party exclusive for the Switch since both BOTW and Mario Kart 8 were on the Wii U and while it certainly didn't sell as well Splatoon 1 and let alone Mario Kart (since the Arms team also makes the Mario Kart) does seem like a step down, Nintendo actually be more then happy with its sales and since the Switch as a much bigger install then did when the first game came out, chances are Arms 2 would sale at worst a bit better.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So I notice how some says an ARMS rep might get the Bowser Jr. treatment.

Reminder that all the ARMS characters have different body heights, dimensions and proportions so that couldn't work.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Kinda low-key excited for that ARMS character... not so much because I'm an ARMS fan (it's cool to see it get a playable character, but I haven't played the game yet and thus have no attachment), but mostly for what the inclusion could possibly mean going forward. ARMS already had content in Smash prior to Fighters Pass 2, which means the idea that each DLC character needs to bring in "new worlds" (i.e. content that's completely new to Smash) is now dead. Depending on who it is...
  • If it's Twintelle, Min-Min, or any of the other ARMS spirits already in the game, that means Spirits no longer deconfirm.
  • If it's Ribbon Girl, we can also cross off Mii Fighter costumes.
  • If it's Spring Man, then there goes Assist Trophies, and now anyone is fair game.
Smash speculation could potentially get real interesting come June...
Speaking of JoJo spoilers...
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Shame. Was really pulling for Avdol to make it into Smash, but I suppose he'll have to get his chance another day...

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I actually replay a little bit of Arms today after the news. With all of these different weapons and characters, I think I underestimate how fun a character from the game could be. My wish would be either Helix, Mechanica or Dr. Coyle, and my predictions is that it will be either Max Brass or Dr. Coyle. I don't think it will be Spring man, because I feel that if they chose the main character, they would have just stated it instead of teasing us and maybe they will try to surprise us with one of the "vilain".

Also aside from recolor I don't think we will se multiple characters because each one have different gimmick.

I.D.

Smash Lord
"A sequel to ARMS must be around the corner. Why pick a character from ARMS otherwise?"

"Persona 5 on Switch must be around the corner. Why pick Joker otherwise?"

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
"A sequel to ARMS must be around the corner. Why pick a character from ARMS otherwise?"

Difference between that is that Nintendo owns the IP rights to Arms and we have no idea what the team behind the first game is currently making as they have been MIA for almost 3 years now.

D

Deleted member

ARMS is getting a Musou spinoff PogChamp

blackghost

Smash Champion
I bet you her flight would either be her Up Special or a Peach float style ability so Dr. Coyle players would probably be gimping themselves for using it willy-nilly. Even so, this is a character with access to a long ranged, disjointed barrage of attacks that can freeze, paralyze, or fire projectiles at you, with the latter option being hard to challenge. She'd be a nightmare in casual play regardless.

EDIT: She'd basically be Simon & Richter, but instead of projectiles, it's disjointed attacks.
EDIT EDIT: X-23 can also turn invisible in Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. I wouldn't say that game's balanced either but she's not even close to being the most broken character in the game.
the funny thing in terms of casual play the only dlc thats ever been really good in casual play are byleth and corrin smash 4. all of the others are iffy at best even cloud and bayo in smash 4 werent good in causal play.

smash isnt designed with the craziness marvel 3 was. marvel three was a game about being as wild as possible ultimate doesnt like major outliers.

as for dr. coyle having a flaot that would be nice its long past time a seocnd character gets that. imo.
im not really worried about the range of attacks as her or any other ARMs characters because their hurtbox extends with her attacks. An ARMs character is much more Dhalsim than melee marth.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Part of me thinks it’s not right if someone gets in before the main protagonist Spring Man honestly even though he’s kinda wack looking and Twintelle is who I personally think is the best popular pick. So hopefully they figure out how to them Bowser Jr style or something to represent more fighters in the probable last smash game. (Imo Spring Man and Twintelle probably both deserve to be characters if there were more time)

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Wow that was really it. Nothing against Arms but damn what a boring way to reveal a Fighter. Hey FP6 is from this game, peace out. So much for expecting something big and surprising to kick off the second pass.
ARMS being revealed with almost no fanfare is very fitting for that franchise

blackghost

Smash Champion
People literally just said the Bayonetta glitch can't be used as evidence as the theory it uses was debunked, do you just not read what people say to you? Also, from what I can gather, Minmin's the most popular one as seen in game, and what the hell would that glitch even mean? Wasn't it about Bayo's uniform, which transforms? Twintelle has nothing like that and Witch Time has become a more standardized status as seen with the Timer, Shadow and Hocus Pocus showing that purple circle effect
you have it backwards. time slow and shadow have been in smash since brawl. and shulk had it before bayo was in the game as well. bayo just applied an items effect into her moveset (one of the things that made her realizable to make in 4)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It wouldn't be 'fine' at all. Imagine at E3, Nintendo goes 'A beloved IP will finally get a new game!' And after 3 months go "You guys it's a Mario game! The most obvious ****ing thing and not worth hyping up for 3 months! **** you if you wanted a franchise that doesn't get new games every year, buy Mario!". The whole point of the Guess Who would be an incredibly awful bait and switch, because there was no point to it
I said I would be fine even if the character was Spring Man, and that's partially because I genuinely like him.

You can hold a grudge against Nintendo if you'd like for not saying in the very beginning that they chose the generic ARMS mascot, but don't act like Spring Man doesn't have his own supporters rooting for him to be the character in the DLC.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So you'd go "SMASH IS GETTING A STREET FIGHTER CHARACTER! But who will it beeeeeee" for 3 months, teasing fans that it may be one of the more popular side characters, giving them hope because there's NO reason to do that for the protagonist only to go "WOOOOOW LOOK IT'S THE PROTAGONIST! SUCH A DARKHORSE PICK FOR THIS SPECIFIC FRANCHISE!"
No.
EDIT: This is why I want an echo fighter bundle; It lets us have Ryu, and someone actually interesting.
It would be a pretty big surprise as well.

im not really worried about the range of attacks as her or any other ARMs characters because their hurtbox extends with her attacks.
Actually it doesn't. You can disable ARMS by hitting them, but you don't take damage from doing from getting hit in the ARMS. (Though I will concede that this is the easiest thing to take creative liberties with. EDIT: In fact, you might should since that could be kinda awkward in Smash, though it would certainly punish players that just throw out attacks.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom