• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
I actually don't think Dante will be the one to start it off, but it also can't be a super heavy hitter either- Maybe they won't show off the first fighter coming next til e3? I'm not sure a direct will be coming this soon anyways

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I wouldn't take Imran words as a full deconfirmation for Sora. He's a very reliable guy in the industry, but he doesn't say when the negotiations between Disney Japan and Nintendo took place. I guess he's talking about Ultimate and not 4 for obvious reasons, but maybe what he said happened more than a year ago, before pass 1 was decided. If that was the maybe there was more talks in order to add Sora for the second pass.

Of course, all what I'm saying is speculation.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I find it interesting that apparently the problem was specifically Disney Japan. This might mean it had nothing to do with "they NEED to put in the Disney characters with Sora" and more to do with regular licensing shenanigans. If it was the first one I think the problem would definitely have come from the american branch, since the Disney IPs involved in KH come from there.

At the very least, if this info disconfirms him, at the same time it could prove he is indeed possible for future installments without the Disney content, so that's one argument down against Sora in future Smash games.
Wasn’t the Sora DLC for WoFF limited time tho as someone mentioned? That could be a strike against him

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Alright! I feel 2B's chances has sparked up then in this case.

Sorry for the Sora fans though.

Damn first Travis, then Doom Slayer and now Sora...Whose next?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Why would it be a strike? Just asking.
Sora could be limited time DLC in a future Smash game. His only lucky chance is base roster and I can’t help but feel like that too would have some kind of complications

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322

I think Travis could happen NOW with NMH 3, I don't count an anon saying something as total deconfirm

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Also forgot Ryu Hayabusa.

IAmShifty hasn't said anything since and everything he predicted were for Base.:ultpiranha:included as its believe it was planned for Base game.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Sora could be limited time DLC in a future Smash game. His only lucky chance is base roster and I can’t help but feel like that too would have some kind of complications
I don't think so... he was limited DLC in a Square game, and that method of distribution was their choice. In Smash, Nintendo holds the choice for how DLC gets distributed. So ultimately, that wouldn't come to pass because that's not how Nintendo has worked and Disney can't force anything else upon them.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I wouldn't take Imran words as a full deconfirmation for Sora. He's a very reliable guy in the industry, but he doesn't say when the negotiations between Disney Japan and Nintendo took place. I guess he's talking about Ultimate and not 4 for obvious reasons, but maybe what he said happened more than a year ago, before pass 1 was decided. If that was the maybe there was more talks in order to add Sora for the second pass.

Yeah, watching the video it's nothing more than an offhand remark, one that is likely true, but we don't really know the circumstances around it, and Imran doesn't get the chance to go further in-depth. I already considered Sora quite unlikely, and I do think this is a further dent in his chances, but I'm hestitant to say he's completely out, it's more that he went from unlikely to very unlikely.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Kite and Haseo were in Project X Zone 1 and 2. So I think Bandai considers them video game characters.
I'm a bit late on this, but Kite was paired with his comrade BlackRose in PXZ1. Haseo joins in 2 and essentially takes BlackRose's spot.

Aside from agreeing with MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees :

The big guess of mine would be when they were discussing bringing Tsum Tsum Festival over to the Switch, but those talks could also have happened earlier / later than that. More talks is definetely possible though - if only because things could rapidly change and Disney Japan might've entertained the idea a bit more since.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion

2B would be a great pick she's a character I've been interested in/okay with joining Smash from since the first fighter pass. If this really does mean that Sora is out (which all can do now is hope it's not true), I'd be more than okay with 2B.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
And was this during Base game or Season Pass 1?
Back in 2018. Either they could be denying, Travis wasnt in base or first dlc etc. I can totally see him in this next 6, and with Suda himself really wanting Travis in as well as NMH 3 coming out this year? If he's got a shot it's now

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Back in 2018. Either they could be denying, Travis wasnt in base or first dlc etc. I can totally see him in this next 6, and with Suda himself really wanting Travis in as well as NMH 3 coming out this year? If he's got a shot it's now
In that case I see Travis back in the running.

With Sora seemingly out of the running as well might as well get back to redoing my Season Pass 2 Predictions.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That's a large part of the reason why everyone plays Richter and Ken over Simon and Ryu. The unfortunate truth is that the OG protagonist of most video game franchises a little boring by design.
I play Ryu more. He's more about solid hits.

And he looks cooler with that sick headband.

Ken also has a wife and kid so... we don’t know squat about Ryu’s family
Ryu's an Orphan who got adopted by Gouken. The guy who taught him and Ken how to fight.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I didn't imagine us getting Sora anyhow but I thought that would be due to Nintendo not wanting to appoach Disney because of the ridiculous amount of money he would cost compared to other DLC fighters.

If all of this is true and Chief is also on the table than that kinda throws the theory of volume 2 being lower budget out of window.
...That would be a big blow to my list too, damn.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My new prediction.

2B
Crash Bandicoot
Travis Touchdown
Phoenix Wright
Heihachi
Ring Fit Adventurer

Sora's out of the running seemingly so I feel this increases 2B's chances. Geno isn't as heavily demanded as believed so she definitely has a shot especially given her game is seen as one of the best in the last decade.

Huge legacy back in the 90s with a three way rivalry with Mario and Sonic, iconic gaming character popular both Japan and the West. Activision is also on good terms with Nintendo as Possum told me.

I don't know why but I feel that Dante wouldn't be in the same pass with Travis Touchdown and given his close ties to Nintendo being 2nd party like Bayonetta and being exclusive to Nintendo consoles between the two I see Travis at this point.

Which in that case I feel Wright's chances had increased who too has closer ties to Nintendo, history of being on Nintendo consoles and heard he's an honorary Nintendo character.

Mii costume still missing and the icon for Lloyd's franchise had nothing to do with Smash.

I expect at least one Nintendo character.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I feel like this thread finds a new character every week that's suddenly the most likely newcomer to be DLC.

I'll stick with my orginal predictions. I'm not paying much attention to Smashboards trends and vague comments from developers that seemingly hint at a character. The only DLC character so far that a notable number of people were able to predict without any leak or leaker influencing their opinion was Banjo, and that was mostly because of his popularity.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
> Master Chief talks
> Imran Khan said it

yeah I wouldn’t mind him but I hope Steve gets something with his name on it at least if he isn’t playable. I hope the scumbag trolls/haters leave Steve fans alone and stop pushing opinions as facts; I know they’re a minority, but they’re frickin annoying. I don’t really see them much anymore, mostly not at all, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they showed back up if he got “disconfirmed” again. One troll that came to the Steve thread even tried to act like he cared about Steve fans raising their expectations too much in this thread in 2018, only to reveal he hates us simply for liking Steve not long after in another thread. Frickin narcissists.

Geno isn't as heavily demanded as believed
2B is more well-known, but even Sakurai said Geno gets a lot of requests. I’d say he’s definitely heavily-demanded by a lot of people, within the thousands at least. I think Operation Starfall was able to get signatures on a letter or wishes on their website that reached the thousands.

Not arguing who would get in, 2B is just as likely if not more, but Geno still has lots of demand.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I feel like this thread finds a new character every week that's suddenly the most likely newcomer to be DLC.

I'll stick with my orginal predictions. I'm not paying much attention to Smashboards trends and vague comments from developers that seemingly hint at a character. The only DLC character so far that a notable number of people were able to predict without any leak or leaker influencing their opinion was Banjo, and that was mostly because of his popularity.
Same here, I made my predictions right after Byleth's announcement and I'm not planning to change it. To be honest I wouldn't even be shocked if I have none of the character right, but I still want to stick with them the whole year to see where things will lead.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

There's practically been a flavor of the week "most likely" character constantly ever since the whole Tracer/Ryu Hayabusa thing a few months back.
Then we got the whole package from the Doom Guy's to the KOS-MOS to the Crash Bandicoots and all.

Best to just sit back and watch I guess...

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I would think a greater budget over a longer period of time is more likely.
Especially if the first fighters pass sold better than Nintendo expected.

The first six DLC characters were all released within a year of each other. Piranha Plant would most likely have been covered by the game's initial budget. Hero was almost definitely the most expensive to license, followed by Banjo and Kazooie. Byleth was probably the least, followed by Terry.

For the second pass, I think it's reasonable to expect two or three expensive E3 hype characters, one or two Nintendo or inexpensive smaller third party company characters, and a few in between.
I think Terry may have been the most expensive in man-hours, thanks to SNK answering "which of these 50 tracks can we use" with "yes".

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
What the heck happened?

Apparently they tried to get Sora, but failed? And there are talks about Master Chief as well?

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
Honestly i am leaning towards three of the fighters being from Tecmo Koei,Cygames and Arc System Works.We could get another fighter from Square,Namco.Capcom or Sega but the fact that Cygames helped with the Byleth in terms of the music makes me wonder, would Nintendo considering talking to Cygames regarding a charcter.

I still mantain if we get a 1st party charcter from a new franchise it's going to be Euden not Ring Fit Adventurer (that's just too recent)

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think Terry may have been the most expensive in man-hours, thanks to SNK answering "which of these 50 tracks can we use" with "yes".
Not to mention the models in the background. Banjo has like 6 or so? Terry's stage is about 20. And Byleth at 10 or so, right?

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
Honestly i am leaning towards three of the fighters being from Tecmo Koei,Cygames and Arc System Works.We could get another fighter from Square,Namco.Capcom or Sega but the fact that Cygames helped with the Byleth in terms of the music makes me wonder, would Nintendo considering talking to Cygames regarding a charcter.

I still mantain if we get a 1st party charcter from a new franchise it's going to be Euden not Ring Fit Adventurer (that's just too recent)
Most likely from Cygames is Dragalia Lost, considering if Nintendo would want to put a Mobile Game character in smash. Which I don't necessarily see a problem with.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Former Game Informer Editor-In-Chief Imran Khan, who has a strong industry reputation and track record, said this about Sora in a recent Kinda Funny Podcast at about the 28:20 mark.
"Do you think Disney is keeping Sora from being in Smash?"
"Yep. Disney Japan, specifically."
Imran had been pretty upfront in saying that Nintendo approached Disney Japan about Sora in Smash, but was unsuccessful in acquiring the character.
I'm a bit confused how this deconfirms Sora. One of the guys at the table still thinks he's happening even after Imran said that, which was insinuated to be what he THINKS happened and not what he knows. Is there a later timestamp, because this isn't upfront at all.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
What the heck happened?

Apparently they tried to get Sora, but failed? And there are talks about Master Chief as well?
This isn't exactly a new revelation, didn't we already know they discussed Sora and Geno because of the whole Seven Squares fiasco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom