• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
My source, who has famously known that "There will be a newcomer to the smash bros", says that Mario is in.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
My source tells me that I'm going to warn anymore posts involving "my source" or continuing to derail things further.

That said, I thank you all for giving this the time of day it clearly didn't need.

I have no doubts at all that they could whip up a unique moveset for Ashley...
But I'd be much more interested in seeing someone like Jimmy T. or 9-Volt make it in instead. Maybe its because "magic user" seems too easy to make a moveset for whereas "disco dancer" or "kid what plays video games good" challenges my sensibilities on how they could fight in Smash.
While I'd be all for seeing something like 5 Volt being able to shoot lasers out her eyes expanded upon as a full moveset, I've always felt the style of character would be better suited to a composite Rhythm Heaven/Paradise fighter. Mostly in the sense that it seems more in line with that universe than the "gameplay" of Wario.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So is it pretty much guaranteed to see someone from Sega again this time around, with 6 reps open? Question is who would be their choice, Bayonetta and Joker seemed like easy enough picks...
If that's the case, I really hope it's Axel Stone and he might have a good chance if Nintendo is interested in promoting Streets of Rage 4.

Oh well, dreams don't always come true.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
If that's the case, I really hope it's Axel Stone and he might have a good chance if Nintendo is interested in promoting Streets of Rage 4.

Oh well, dreams don't always come true.
A streets of rage character would be kickass! It's a little strange we haven't gotten anyone from the Beat Em Up genre, besides maybe Bayonetta if you'd call her games that? I could also see Double Dragon being possible... But Streets of Rage has better music, so I'll vouch for it over Double D any day

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post
My very trustable sauce who works at Pillsbury told me that the dough boy is going to be the next upcoming playable character in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate For the Nintendo Switch. He has gotten lots of things right. Just yesterday he didn’t mess up an order for the first time in his 3 days working there. He overheard Sakurai and the manager talking over a glass of milk and some freshly made cookies and saw him wave a wad of cash in his face saying ‘Let me put him in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch’. He graciously accepted. He assumed it was the pilsbury doughboy but there is a slight chance that the negotiation was got Goku instead

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
A streets of rage character would be kickass! It's a little strange we haven't gotten anyone from the Beat Em Up genre, besides maybe Bayonetta if you'd call her games that? I could also see Double Dragon being possible... But Streets of Rage has better music, so I'll vouch for it over Double D any day
Now that I think about it, Double Dragon is really slept on for Smash speculation. Franchise was absolutely massive back in the day, especially in the West, where it was a mainstay on the NES and became a massive multimedia empire for a few years, culminating in a Hollywood film.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
But Three Houses wasn't a bad game. Didn't have terrible glitches, didn't have terrible characters, nor had a bad story. And that's quite frankly one of the reasons to pick a character from Three Houses for a recent pick. (Mostly because if anyone would know that a game isn't gonna be a flop, it's going to be the developers working on the game at that moment.) Also, if they did wait a year before selecting a character, that character would just be yet another dated character. Byleth was chosen because by the time he would be released for Smash DLC, he would be a fresh character whose game is out in or around the same year as his inclusion. It's basically "Hey! This character whose game just came out can fight against these very same characters in Smash! How cool is that?!" And I wouldn't want to trade such a moment for any other kind in the world.
Oh my God how many times do I have to tell you, Byleth was chosen before the game even released. Three Houses being a legit good game had ZERO impact on the decision. And you're comment "if anyone would know that a game isn't gonna be a flop, it's going to be the developers working on the game at that moment" is nonsense because so many developers who work games rarely think "This game is going flop." Todd Howard & Bethesda thought that Fallout 76 was going to be a massive success. Cliffy B thought that Lawbreakers wasn't going to flop. PlatinumGames believed that Wonderful 101 wasn't going to bomb. Everyone who makes a game have the confidence that it will not flop, if you don't then why are you even bothering to make it?

You're obsess with the newest hottest, good for you. But you need to understand how many people aren't gonna view it as a great thing. Look at Playstation All-Star Battle Royal, they got the newest Dante in that game before DmC even released, it's the newest hottest that was coming out that so many people had fate in, and it's a laughing stock of a game and character choice. You'll never know if putting in this brand new character that people haven't had time to fully experience would work out or not, Byleth is the less interesting character in Three Houses and didn't even make it that high in the FE Heroes poll. Having Byleth come out a year later would've been for the best because, just like Rex and ARMS, people had time to fully experience the game & characters and welcome the idea of these characters getting into Smash Bros. Here you have barely have time to get invested in the character and potentially could've blown up in your face in the long run. Look at Corrin, look at how many people start to dislike his inclusion abroad despite how unique his moveset is. Corrin was super fresh and new at the time he released and aged terribly. History could've repeat itself so easily, it's the biggest gamble you can do. There was a reason why people love Joker's reveal, he came from a game that people had time to experience and get to know.

Also we already had a brand new fresh character who's game was just about to come out on the Switch added to Smash Bros, THE LUMINARY!!! Dragon Quest XI S was just about to come out and the main character from that game was about be put as the default character in Smash Bros. You get to play Dragon Quest XI S for the first time on Switch and have that character be in Smash Bros, but I guess if the game came out a year ago on other system you're old as crap.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
I may have missed it, but did we talk about the recent comment from Sakurai, that a character he liked "wasn't given preference?" This makes me think Fighter Pass 11 is that character. If I was a gambling man, I would say that character is Geno.

Also, we are definitely getting at least one Nintendo Direct before E3. Their line up is too bare not to have one.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
are we still arguing over byleth

whats done is done, move on man

This makes me think Fighter Pass 11 is that character. If I was a gambling man, I would say that character is Geno.
It's crazy how everyone tries to make the last character in a series of said characters the most hype of them all when they're really more in the middle than the last ones given.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I may have missed it, but did we talk about the recent comment from Sakurai, that a character he liked "wasn't given preference?" This makes me think Fighter Pass 11 is that character. If I was a gambling man, I would say that character is Geno.

Also, we are definitely getting at least one Nintendo Direct before E3. Their line up is too bare not to have one.
I feel like the character is actually Rex and Pyra. He said he wanted them in the base game, so why he didn't add them as dlc? Most likely because Nintendo didn't want them at this point because Xenoblade 2 was too old to get promotion. So he decide to add the mii as a bonus because he want them as a fighter.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
I feel like the character is actually Rex and Pyra. He said he wanted them in the base game, so why he didn't add them as dlc? Most likely because Nintendo didn't want them at this point because Xenoblade 2 was too old to get promotion. So he decide to add the mii as a bonus because he want them as a fighter.
I'd also like Elma honestly, her mech suit has a lot of fun potential for it

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Uh Sakurai? Is everything okay?

This image is clearly a hint towards Uniracer.
  • These are referencing Lemmings
  • Lemmings was made by DMA Design
  • The Lemmings do not work in a moveset independently
  • The stage is Princess Peach's Castle
  • Snake is an American
  • Uniracers was published by Nintendo of America for the SNES
  • Uniracers was only released in North America and Europe
Yup. It's Uniracer. :4pacman:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Agreed. I'm not even used to Smash Ultimate leaks, although I did manage to predict Cloud Strife coming to
If Nintendo chooses the lineup, then I guess one method of trying to guess who got in is seeing what collabs, ports, or remasters there are for the Switch that is upcoming.

I don't follow games outside of my interests. I know DMC3 is coming, are there any other notable games we should be paying attention to that are coming to Switch?
Decided to look into this. Here are some of the companies that are supporting the Switch soon.

Koei Techmo
Level 5
Capcom
Arc System Works
Sega
Bandai Namco
Spike Chunsoft (Full on collabing with the Mystery Dungeon remake in this case)
Bethesda (Unlikely due to Doom Slayers deconfirmation though)
Nippion Ichi Software
Microsoft (Not to mention the rumored MCC Port)

Pretty sure those are all of the potentially feasible companies atm that are supporting the Switch this year.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We could be getting a different Xenoblade character in Rex’s place for DLC. Mecha-Fiora? Chrom proved that being in a Final Smash doesn’t deconfirm anymore, and Xenoblade Definitive Edition comes out hopefully before E3.

if Elma makes a guest appearance in XCDE, or even has XCXDE announced at E3, she has a shot too

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Also we already had a brand new fresh character who's game was just about to come out on the Switch added to Smash Bros, THE LUMINARY!!! Dragon Quest XI S was just about to come out and the main character from that game was about be put as the default character in Smash Bros. You get to play Dragon Quest XI S for the first time on Switch and have that character be in Smash Bros, but I guess if the game came out a year ago on other system you're old as crap.
An old game getting an enhanced port doesn't make the character "fresh" unless you're an insular Nintendo fan lmao

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Guess Dante ain't fresh because they didn't overprice the DMC ports to $60 a pop smh

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
I get the feeling this Pass is going to include either an indie character or a second character from already-represented third party franchise, just because Sakurai likes surprising people.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder how much budget season2 of DLC will have. More orc5he same amount stretched out over 2 years

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
My sources say that Joe is FP6. :troll:
Viewtiful Joe confirmed henshin a go go baby

We could be getting a different Xenoblade character in Rex’s place for DLC.
Finch confirmed a fine choice, good sir

1581006618275.png

I wonder if Sakurai would ever do that. That was part of the backlash for Byleth. You're putting in the generic avatar _again_? In a series with so many other cooler characters?

Sure, he did Piranha Plant, so it's conceivable, but that was the what, 20th Mario character? After Peach and Daisy? And there was that talk of he was going to do Slime if he couldn't get Hero, but I would be beyond shocked and beyond happy if anyone other than the generic main protagonist character was put in to represent a new franchise.

I'm talking like Sami instead of Andy for Advance Wars, Twintelle or DNA man instead of Spring Man for Arms, or if they included like Death or Camilla instead of Simon/Richter/Alucard. Not after, not as an echo. Just straight up, "we're representing this series by a cooler minor character because the main character sucks."

That would be some hype stuff, imo.

Last edited:

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
That's a large part of the reason why everyone plays Richter and Ken over Simon and Ryu. The unfortunate truth is that the OG protagonist of most video game franchises a little boring by design.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh my God how many times do I have to tell you, Byleth was chosen before the game even released. Three Houses being a legit good game had ZERO impact on the decision. And you're comment "if anyone would know that a game isn't gonna be a flop, it's going to be the developers working on the game at that moment" is nonsense because so many developers who work games rarely think "This game is going flop." Todd Howard & Bethesda thought that Fallout 76 was going to be a massive success. Cliffy B thought that Lawbreakers wasn't going to flop. PlatinumGames believed that Wonderful 101 wasn't going to bomb. Everyone who makes a game have the confidence that it will not flop, if you don't then why are you even bothering to make it?

You're obsess with the newest hottest, good for you. But you need to understand how many people aren't gonna view it as a great thing. Look at Playstation All-Star Battle Royal, they got the newest Dante in that game before DmC even released, it's the newest hottest that was coming out that so many people had fate in, and it's a laughing stock of a game and character choice. You'll never know if putting in this brand new character that people haven't had time to fully experience would work out or not, Byleth is the less interesting character in Three Houses and didn't even make it that high in the FE Heroes poll. Having Byleth come out a year later would've been for the best because, just like Rex and ARMS, people had time to fully experience the game & characters and welcome the idea of these characters getting into Smash Bros. Here you have barely have time to get invested in the character and potentially could've blown up in your face in the long run. Look at Corrin, look at how many people start to dislike his inclusion abroad despite how unique his moveset is. Corrin was super fresh and new at the time he released and aged terribly. History could've repeat itself so easily, it's the biggest gamble you can do. There was a reason why people love Joker's reveal, he came from a game that people had time to experience and get to know.

Again, if your argument basically amounts to "Three Houses didn't flop, b-but it could've!" then it's a pretty **** argument.

I'm not going to entertain cynical hypotheticals lmao. The fake leaks that get posted here are enough Smash Bros. fanfiction to last a lifetime.

Krankees

Smash Ace
That's a large part of the reason why everyone plays Richter and Ken over Simon and Ryu. The unfortunate truth is that the OG protagonist of most video game franchises a little boring by design.
People play Ken over Ryu because they prefer the way Ken's moveset works. Honestly, I think Ryu is a bit underrated.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
I wonder how much budget season2 of DLC will have. More or the same amount stretched out over 2 years
I would think a greater budget over a longer period of time is more likely.
Especially if the first fighters pass sold better than Nintendo expected.

The first six DLC characters were all released within a year of each other. Piranha Plant would most likely have been covered by the game's initial budget. Hero was almost definitely the most expensive to license, followed by Banjo and Kazooie. Byleth was probably the least, followed by Terry.

For the second pass, I think it's reasonable to expect two or three expensive E3 hype characters, one or two Nintendo or inexpensive smaller third party company characters, and a few in between.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah Digimon started as the tamagachis. .hack started as the .hack//SIGN anime which released two months before the .hack PS2 games, and didn't even share the same characters.

Now, I personally don't think Agumon or a .hack character have a shot at all, but it is just weird to me that people were so willing to think the digital pet thing "totally makes it okay guys" when how the hell do we know if Nintendo even knows about Digimon being digital pets before an anime?
All you need to know that Digimon had games before the anime is Wikipedia.

I'm sure Nintendo, as a large corporation, has access to the internet, and therefore Wikipedia.
My sources claim that Megamam is getting removed and replaced with Geno.

Trust me guys.
Silly hamster, there's no character in Smash called Megamam!

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
People play Ken over Ryu because they prefer the way Ken's moveset works. Honestly, I think Ryu is a bit underrated.
Yeah, I know Ryu and Ken aren't exactly the same but I've also heard a lot of people say that they find Ryu boring both visually and as a character. Hard to blame them.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The first six DLC characters were all released within a year of each other. Piranha Plant would most likely have been covered by the game's initial budget. Hero was almost definitely the most expensive to license, followed by Banjo and Kazooie. Byleth was probably the least, followed by Terry.
Regardless of whether or not it's licensing fees, I think Joker took a good chunk out of the budget as well when we had to get the cheaper Mr. Sakurai Presents series for every remaining fighter's direct.
Yeah, I know Ryu and Ken aren't exactly the same but I've also heard a lot of people say that they find Ryu boring both visually and as a character. Hard to blame them.
Ken has a canon last name. Ryu doesn't. That's how you know more thought was put into Ken's character.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Ryu was first in his series before Ken followed shortly after with his famous kicks and flaming moves. So, I can't blame them choosing Ken more then Ryu

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Regardless of whether or not it's licensing fees, I think Joker took a good chunk out of the budget as well when we had to get the cheaper Mr. Sakurai Presents series for every remaining fighter's direct.

Ken has a canon last name. Ryu doesn't. That's how you know more thought was put into Ken's character.
Ken also has a wife and kid so... we don’t know squat about Ryu’s family

Eldrake

Smash Lord
All you need to know that Digimon had games before the anime is Wikipedia.

I'm sure Nintendo, as a large corporation, has access to the internet, and therefore Wikipedia.
Nintendo don't even need the internet when they can just call Bandai-Namco and ask if Digimon had games before the anime.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Former Game Informer Editor-In-Chief Imran Khan, who has a strong industry reputation and track record, said this about Sora in a recent Kinda Funny Podcast at about the 28:20 mark.
"Do you think Disney is keeping Sora from being in Smash?"
"Yep. Disney Japan, specifically."
Imran had been pretty upfront in saying that Nintendo approached Disney Japan about Sora in Smash, but was unsuccessful in acquiring the character.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Former Game Informer Editor-In-Chief Imran Khan, who has a strong industry reputation and track record, said this about Sora in a recent Kinda Funny Podcast at about the 28:20 mark.
"Do you think Disney is keeping Sora from being in Smash?"
"Yep. Disney Japan, specifically."
Imran had been pretty upfront in saying that Nintendo approached Disney Japan about Sora in Smash, but was unsuccessful in acquiring the character.
Welp, Sora definitively deconfirmed. Can’t really say I’m surprised

Neku time

Krankees

Smash Ace

Alright but Ken isn't constantly trying to suppress an inner evil power called the Satsui no Hado.

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I get it. Not everyone can handle the pure manliness that is Simon :4pacman:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The budget for presentations almost certainly goes under marketing, so it likely has nothing to do with actual development or negotiating for rights. Chances are that the cost of editing and polishing presentations of that quality just added up to too much, so they had to scale down in that regard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom