• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's even longer than that really. Byleth was done by the time we saw him so maybe as long as 7 or 8 months. Hard for me to see them just sitting on that character forever
Yeah. It would be best to release the character sometime this Spring in order to make people more hyped for future characters.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I always keep seeing people say that Disney would be super stingy about letting any character they own into Smash, but I don't necessarily think that's true. I mean, they seemed to have no problem putting Wreck-It-Ralph in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. They clearly aren't too against characters they own getting into crossovers.

This doesn't mean that I think Sora is likely for a DLC fighter or anything; I just don't think that Disney is the impenetrable roadblock preventing him from getting it that people seem to think they are. I'd still personally prefer Geno as the Square Enix rep for the second DLC wave, but Sora would be awesome as well.
I hadn’t thought of this, you know?
Not that I wasn’t already realizing that Disney might not be such a problem. They’ve been in the video game industry for so long after all.

And hey, if SEGA of all companies can afford Wreck-it-Ralph, a disney character from the big screen. Then Nintendo can afford Sora in Smash.

Also let’s remember how Sakurai handled Goldeneye’s proximity mine in Smash 64, and replace it with Disney characters.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Hey, it's been a minute since we got a crappy 4Chan leak. This one at least has a fresh name in it.
akuma.PNG

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Yeah. It would be best to release the character sometime this Spring in order to make people more hyped for future characters.
Spring is around the same time the new Sakura Wars game comes out to the West. Not that I would guarantee the release of Sakura Wars/game would mean the reveal of Sakura or any character, but it's possible.

Just out of curiosity how people in the thread feel if Sakura is reveal as the first character or just as a character in general?

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Talking about weird 4chan leaks, I saw that one 2 days ago. I know it's fake but it's so weird that I screenshot it.
Plot twist: the leak is real and we get the 8 main characters of Until Dawn as Koopaling-styled alts.

Day 1 Nathan Drake Mike main.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
To be fair, when has Nintendo actually sincerely cared about fan demand? There's been fan demand for more than a decade for an official Mother 3 English release and they've never put out vibes that they even cared about those fans. The closest we ever got was not having legal actions pushed against fan translations for a while and then they went after ROM sites around the time they released the NES mini.

The last time Miyamoto was asked about F-Zero, his BS excuse was along the lines of "What new is there to do?". I love me some Mario, but the guy doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel with every new 2D Mario platformer. For years after the release of Ocarina of Time, every console Zelda felt repetitive and samey. I think they're just too scared to take any risks revitalizing an old series.
It's...complicated with F-Zero.
As said above F-Zero games were generally made to showcase the graphical fidelity of Nintendo hardware: F-Zero was done to show the capability of Mode 7 hardware. F-Zero X to showcase smooth 60fps gameplay on the N64. F-Zero GX to also show 60fps gameplay as well as an arcade perfect port with the unlockable AX parts. The GBA games were the only exception really, most notably GP Legend which was an anime tie-in.

But with the Wii age Nintendo shifted thoer mantra from pushing harware to instead one of experimental new play methods, which goes against what the original intent of F-Zero's creation was. On top of that each game kept seeing slumping sales, even with some fair marketing and an anime series running then. So Miyamoto's statement is less an excuse and more a ponder of "What can a new F-Zero provide that cannot ne found elsewhere, and would it be enough to get newcomers to purchase it?" Just how developers think I suppose.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Spring is around the same time the new Sakura Wars game comes out to the West. Not that I would guarantee the release of Sakura Wars/game would mean the reveal of Sakura or any character, but it's possible.

Just out of curiosity how people in the thread feel if Sakura is reveal as the first character or just a character in general?
Id freak the **** out. The series has incredible cast of fun characters, Its another SEGA IP, great mecha designs by actual gundam mech desginers, and Sakura has one of the most gorgeous designs in the medium (of course Sumire is even better but shes not the main character)

Just the music from Sakura Wars alone would be worth it for people who never played the series

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's...complicated with F-Zero.
As said above F-Zero games were generally made to showcase the graphical fidelity of Nintendo hardware: F-Zero was done to show the capability of Mode 7 hardware. F-Zero X to showcase smooth 60fps gameplay on the N64. F-Zero GX to also show 60fps gameplay as well as an arcade perfect port with the unlockable AX parts. The GBA games were the only exception really, most notably GP Legend which was an anime tie-in.

But with the Wii age Nintendo shifted thoer mantra from pushing harware to instead one of experimental new play methods, which goes against what the original intent of F-Zero's creation was. On top of that each game kept seeing slumping sales, even with some fair marketing and an anime series running then. So Miyamoto's statement is less an excuse and more a ponder of "What can a new F-Zero provide that cannot ne found elsewhere, and would it be enough to get newcomers to purchase it?" Just how developers think I suppose.
I still think an easy way to build interest in F-Zero again is to just release GX HD for Switch with online. And hopefully they won't screw up with forcing a gimmick like they did with Star Fox Zero.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Until Dawn? Now that is something I straight up have never heard anyone predict. But it's not Kratos, Nathan Drake, or Ratchet and Clank so it's fake.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
You guys think Xander Mobus as any ideas who the DLC is? I know he’s recorded a ton of random names that way he couldn’t know who was getting in the game, but I'm curious if he has an idea haha. Just imagine having that knowledge lol
I think the only way he'd know is if he voices the character. With Joker out of the way, the only other protagonist he voices in gaming is Stocke from Radiant Historia.

Which obviously means Stocke from Radiant Historia is confirmed.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Just out of curiosity how people in the thread feel if Sakura is reveal as the first character or just a character in general?
At first glance I thought you said, "How would people feel if Sakurai got in?" I would lmao. But you know what? I would be fine with that. I bet having Sakurai see himself fight all these game characters he loves and enjoys developing would be quite an experience.

SKX31

Smash Master

I'd personally approve. Rather unique sworduser (what with elemental attacks all over the place), stands out instantly and has a couple of interesting surprise options (like a cleaning broom), Haven't played Sakura Wars really, but the series and characters sound pretty interesting from what I've seen on Project X Zone (2).

And she would be the perfect opportunity for one thing: Segata Mii Brawler costume. With his own theme. (And hopefully explosion effects whenever the opponent's knocked down hard. Because Segata.)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think people are a bit quick to judge the Spirit renaming as a point in favor of upgrades. It certainly doesn’t hurt the case for it, but it doesn’t change certain other aspects of how the Challenger Packs are structured.

Those are two different things entirely.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Just out of curiosity how people in the thread feel if Sakura is reveal as the first character or just as a character in general?
I’d be cool with it. She looks great! And is a classic SEGA character. Would quench my desire to have Takamaru in Smash whole also brining something new (a steampunk mech?)

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I'd personally approve. Rather unique sworduser (what with elemental attacks all over the place), stands out instantly and has a couple of interesting surprise options (like a cleaning broom), Haven't played Sakura Wars really, but the series and characters sound pretty interesting from what I've seen on Project X Zone (2).

And she would be the perfect opportunity for one thing: Segata Mii Brawler costume. With his own theme. (And hopefully explosion effects whenever the opponent's knocked down hard. Because Segata.)
She fights in a mech powered by spirit energy in the games. Id imagine they Incorporate the AP meter to her moveset allowing her to charge up her spirit energy like Clouds limit break and the Strategems from Sakura Wars 3 which lets her take priority over certain stats like Shulks monado art skills.

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
God I wish Virgiben or Saki would throw us a bone already. I mean I find internet leakers annoying as much as the next person but I don't think I can take another 5 months of this drought on Smash info before E3 comes around.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
God I wish Virgiben or Saki would throw us a bone already. I mean I find internet leakers annoying as much as the next person but I don't think I can take another 5 months of this drought on Smash info before E3 comes around.
well, it's not Smash related, but...
Yeah I know, Sabi, but this isn’t Smash related (directly)

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This corroborates Emily Rogers’s More Wii U Games Coming to Switch statement... I REALLY hope one of them is Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition... our time is soon I can feel it

I still hope Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition is one of those games...

Dukefire

Smash Master
I have not played any of the Sakura Wars games, I may look them up to see and possibly try.

Though, the obvious one some people will complain first is "Another Anime Swords Fighter".

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I have not played any of the Sakura Wars games, I may look them up to see and possibly try.

Though, the obvious one some people will complain first is "Another Anime Swords Fighter".
We dont have a mecha sword fighter :smirk:

By the way the first game just got translated. You can play it on the Saturn emulator Mednafen, Theres already guides allover YouTube on how to set up mednafen.
The rest all have gameFAQ translated scripts that only cover a certain amount of girls romance routes.
Sakura Wars V was localized, if you dont want to go through the process of finding a copy just play it on a ps2 emulator.

New game is getting localized and releases this year. Was devloped by Sonic Team and Sega Overworks devs.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just asking, how does the Sakura Wars games play? Excluding the one coming out this year.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
She fights in a mech powered by spirit energy in the games. Id imagine they Incorporate the AP meter to her moveset allowing her to charge up her spirit energy like Clouds limit break and the Strategems from Sakura Wars 3 which lets her take priority over certain stats like Shulks monado art skills.
Sadly I've never played any Sakura Wars game(hope to resolve that this spring), so I never knew her abilities went that deep. Damn she sounds even more amazing than I thought

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Just asking, how does the Sakura Wars games play?
Its a Visual Novel with super easy short strategy gameplay segements and some minigames

First two games strategy plays similar to Fire Emblem
Third game introduces AP meter which plays like an early Valkyria Chronicles and its becomes a action strategy game from then on
the newest game plays like Dynasty Warriors

What you should remember though is that SW is 100% a Visual Novel
The characters are its focus. You will earn to love these characters and cry. It is Sega's sweet heart series.
Skies of Arcadia? Shinobi? Phantasy Star? Sonic? Yakuza? Streets of Rage? Valkyria Chronicles? Puyo Puyo? Billy Hatcher? NiGHTS?

All the devs from those games have worked on Sakura Wars.
This article puts in retrospect why this series is special

Dukefire

Smash Master
Its a Visual Novel with super easy short strategy gameplay segements and some minigames

Third game introduces AP meter which plays like an early Valkyria Chronicles and its becomes a action strategy game from then on

The characters are its focus. You will earn to love these characters and cry. It is Sega's sweet heart series.
Skies of Arcadia? Shinobi? Phantasy Star? Sonic? Yakuza? Streets of Rage? Valkyria Chronicles? Puyo Puyo? Billy Hatcher? NiGHTS?

I usually play games like Fire Emblem, Smash Bros and other games that focus either on balence for game and story or more on straight up action. I think I may give it a go for the game coming soon this year to get ready

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

How many Sakura Wars games are actually available in English? I know the new one's getting localized but I'm concerned about being out of the loop with the timeline, like playing Ace Attorney 6 before the OG trilogy
look at our little grass ape still making it onto fake 4chan leaks

He still got that win
For real Baboom's gonna be the final challenger in the game

MisterMike

Smash Champion
This is such a tsundere comment, I love it. :ultkrool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom