• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
I think if Master Chief gets in, I think he’ll be the very last character they announce. He’s pure Microsoft unlike Banjo, and he would be the most shocking of all reveals, even more shocking than someone like Sora or Kratos.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The only way the Cacomallow leak is real now is if Dovahkiin is in. Maybe there’d be Doom costumes that the higher ups at Bethesda didnt tell iD.
Nah at this point the Cacomallow leak is dead in the water. Even if Dovahkiin is a DLC fighter I still think that leak is fake.

I think if Master Chief gets in, I think he’ll be the very last character they announce. He’s pure Microsoft unlike Banjo, and he would be the most shocking of all reveals, even more shocking than someone like Sora or Kratos.
Hard disagree. If A-tier characters like Master Chief and Kratos are in then they'll get revealed in the first three packs.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I recommend you keep expectations for the end of the pass in check. Nintendo hasn't been good at ending Smash DLC on a collective high note. I think Chief would actually be saved for the beginning to get people to buy the pass

Also...I think Kratos would be slightly more surprising then Chief. Chief will absolutely be surprising (he'd probably break the Internet on a higher level then Cloud) but Kratos, like Chief is pure Microsoft and is actually expected or anticipated quite commonly for Smash due to Microsoft's business relationship with Nintendo, Kratos is pure Sony and they have had rough times with each other for quite a while. If Kratos makes it in, it might be very similar to Sonic's reveal at the sheer aspect of "The biggest rival Nintendo has ever had in the industry is in Smash". If Chief would break the Internet, Kratos would straight obliterate it.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
That's a shame. Doom would have been amazing. People seem to only focus on the fighter but I also think about the stage and music. A Doom stage with Doom music is 10,000 times more exciting than anything Halo could bring. Let's be honest.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah they're more than likely going to blow their load early just like what they did with the last pass. They want people to get on board with the pass so they'll reveal the biggest characters they got first.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
To be honest, I feel like that whatever negotiations Bethesda had with Nintendo regarding Smash likely fell through behind the scene. For that reason, I'm not even expecting a mii costume or spirits from a Bethesda IP.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
I hope there is a Panzer Dragoon spirit board later this year when the remake get's released later this year. That game was my jam on the Saturn.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Really wanted Doom Slayer if true but Master Chief would be a great alternative and honestly I think he has a solid chance given Nintendo's and Microsoft's great relationship and crossplay along with the rumors of the Halo games being ported to the Switch.

That I could kinda see. They release Byleth and so they don't keep us waiting until E3 they reveal the first post-Pass character which by then with the latter or close to it said first post-Pass character gets released. I could then see the E3 reveal being released sometime in the Fall.
I don’t really think the logic some people provide for Chief makes him seem likely. The main points people bring up are that he is iconic and would be a massive wow character, he could promote and the relationship between them both. The second one can easily be proven null and void as except from some Fire Emblem Characters and maybe hero but probably not, characters are never chosen to coincide with a game even if it’s as big a game series as halo. Cloud never came with FF7 on Wii U despite that being received a big deal. That and we don’t even know if these rumours are true. The fact that he is a wow character most likely goes against chief as the main reason he is a wow character is because he is a rival platform holders mascot while other characters like for example Snake and Sonic were wow because they were iconic. Obviously Sonic was a mascot of Sega’s systems but at the time of his inclusion he wasn’t and although Snake was more a PlayStation character he wasn’t necessarily considered a mascot for the system. Nintendo may think it seems too much of a long shot to bother. This and he doesn’t necessarily have to end off the pass as many are theorising as if Nintendo were planning on ending the pass after pass 1, we would have ended the entire game on Byleth so I don’t think Nintendo cares much about reaction. And Microsoft and Nintendo, while having a good business relationship, I don’t think it’s so good to a point where Microsoft would let their most prized possession appear in a rival platform holders game. There are other points but they are fairly minor or they still stand in favour of chief and can’t really be debated over. There has been quite a lot of discussion of Chief as of late but I just wanted to point out some flaws within points people use as evidence to see it isn’t as clear cut as he is in that it may seem as in first glance

D

Deleted member

I don’t really think the logic some people provide for Chief makes him seem likely. The main points people bring up are that he is iconic and would be a massive wow character, he could promote and the relationship between them both. The second one can easily be proven null and void as except from some Fire Emblem Characters and maybe hero but probably not, characters are never chosen to coincide with a game even if it’s as big a game series as halo. Cloud never came with FF7 on Wii U despite that being received a big deal. That and we don’t even know if these rumours are true. The fact that he is a wow character most likely goes against chief as the main reason he is a wow character is because he is a rival platform holders mascot while other characters like for example Snake and Sonic were wow because they were iconic. Obviously Sonic was a mascot of Sega’s systems but at the time of his inclusion he wasn’t and although Snake was more a PlayStation character he wasn’t necessarily considered a mascot for the system. Nintendo may think it seems too much of a long shot to bother. This and he doesn’t necessarily have to end off the pass as many are theorising as if Nintendo were planning on ending the pass after pass 1, we would have ended the entire game on Byleth so I don’t think Nintendo cares much about reaction. And Microsoft and Nintendo, while having a good business relationship, I don’t think it’s so good to a point where Microsoft would let their most prized possession appear in a rival platform holders game. There are other points but they are fairly minor or they still stand in favour of chief and can’t really be debated over. There has been quite a lot of discussion of Chief as of late but I just wanted to point out some flaws within points people use as evidence to see it isn’t as clear cut as he is in that it may seem as in first glance
What’s this then?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So what'd I miss?

Doomslayer is at least 70% out, possibly fully out

Welp. Look's like it's time for the Chief to sub in on my main prediction list.

Crash -> Master Chief -> Arle -> Travis -> Bandana Dee (starting to think if the new Paper Mario rumors hold water, then it could be Paper Mario instead) -> Waluigi.

January's Kill List: Officer Howard, Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude, Kunio, Doom Slayer.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I mean, who wouldn't say yes to their character getting into Smash Bros.?

One thing to consider is that Phil Spencer has shot down the notion of there ever being a Microsoft Smash clone, on more than one occasion.

https://kotaku.com/microsoft-you-do-not-want-an-xbox-smash-bros-clone-5916929

I think this played a big part into why Spencer was so willing to let Banjo & Kazooie in Smash happen, because as shown by the above, he knows that any attempts of Xbox Game Studios making a Smash Bros. styled game would just be a waste of time and would end up in flames just as PSABR did, so in that sense, it makes more sense to let Nintendo handle their IPs in the real deal, if they were up for it.

I don't think Microsoft themselves are the problem with Chief getting into Smash. If anything, it's just that Smash Bros. is a Japanese game aimed mostly at Japanese audiences, so it's kind of hard to say whether Nintendo/Sakurai would be interested in including him. Same thing with other very western oriented characters like Doom Slayer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If you mean Microsoft are putting him in a switch game, that’s pretty self explanatory because Minecraft is one of their games. I don’t think that helps much.
Actually it’s show that Microsoft has no problem with one of their ips on the switch even if it’s on another game of theirs. That would give Chief an advantage

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Actually it’s show that Microsoft has no problem with one of their ips on the switch even if it’s on another game of theirs. That would give Chief an advantage
But it’s still their game... I don’t really understand. I understand some of the logic but it really can’t be applied to Smash. This logic can moreso be applied to them bringing other skins in minecraft or other games coming to switch not to Smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Damn, that’s really depressing; I’ve been daydreaming about the Slayer in Smash for a while now.

Save us Master Chief, you’re our only hope for a FPS Rep now.

The true successor to 007, Johanna Dark of Rare's Perfect Dark.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I don't think a Switch port has anything to do with anything.

Somebody's gonna get revealed at E3, and it sure as hell isn't going to be somebody who isn't popular in the west (without somebody carrying them). Previous E3 reveals have had big western names like :peachmelee::bowsermelee::wario::snake::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::ultridley::ultbanjokazooie: to keep fans sated. Now of course, more than a few of them also have Japanese appeal, but at the time there was nowhere to go but up.

I don't think E3 will have Fighter 6, but rather Fighter 7. And, seeing as big names are always revealed at E3 and the biggest names are revealed first... Master Chief, I think, has a solid shot. He's not the ONLY candidate for the position, but he is a notable one.

D

Deleted member

I don't think a Switch port has anything to do with anything.

Somebody's gonna get revealed at E3, and it sure as hell isn't going to be somebody who isn't popular in the west (without somebody carrying them). Previous E3 reveals have had big western names like :peachmelee::bowsermelee::wario::snake::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::ultridley::ultbanjokazooie: to keep fans sated. Now of course, more than a few of them also have Japanese appeal, but at the time there was nowhere to go but up.

I don't think E3 will have Fighter 6, but rather Fighter 7. And, seeing as big names are always revealed at E3 and the biggest names are revealed first... Master Chief, I think, has a solid shot. He's not the ONLY candidate for the position, but he is a notable one.
Well there’s hero who did dq11s

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Right from the horse’s mouth:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

make of this what you will

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Must be a slow news day at Nitendo life for them to be reporting on rumors
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...mate_dlc_fighter_6_according_to_byleth_leaker
The way journalists have been covering Smash news the entire DLC cycle is nothing short of ****ing embarassing. The amount of otherwise reputable sites reporting on bull**** 4chan leaks or hearsay without even bothering to fact check stuff that we as a fandom have discussed time and time again is horrific. Maybe it's just the fact that I used to work as a journalist but it drives me crazy. Stuff like the "V confirms Dante" rumor being blown out of proportion and leading to people like Max being totally fooled by fake Twitter accounts sucks. Like five seconds of research would have shown that he never "confirmed" or "leaked" Dante, just that if DMC was picked for Smash he knew they'd choose Dante and he wanted V to get the shot sometimes.

At this point news coverage for Smash is like LAXChris-tier clickbait. It's especially awful when otherwise reputable journalists like Jason Schreier are making snarky articles about Byleth's reveal. I know hobby journalism is as a whole a lot less structured than other forms of it, but it's a disgrace to the field as a whole when people can't even bother following the most basic tenets of citing sources, doing extra research, and not reporting like you're writing for a ****ing tabloid.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Right from the horse’s mouth:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

make of this what you will
Well if this person turns out to be right then I never would have expected Crash Bandicoot to start off the pass. I thought that Nintendo would start off with a Japanese character first but I suppose Crash Bandicoot is a well received character globally.

Also this would technically give some credence to the guy who was right about the Team Rocket and Sans mii costumes. Just that he wouldn't be right about Crash Bandicoot being fighter 5 or being part of the first pass.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Here's my theory that has ZERO sources but makes sense in my head. Made just for fun, don't take it too seriously :upsidedown:

Byleth was chosen early but would only be made after Fire Emblem: Three Houses release and if it was well received, to avoid the Corrin situation in Smash 4 (it didn't, but they tried lol). It's on Fight Pack 5 to gives them time to see the overall reception to the game and make the character in time. So, the scenario they set up is, assuming their intention was to make just one Fighter Pass:

-If Three Houses is a failure, it becomes a Spirit Event (at best) and the supposed other character becomes the last DLC Fighter.

-If Three Houses is a success, Byleth becomes Fighter 5 and closes the pack with a Nintendo character from a game everyone likes (hypothetically lol). The supposed other character becomes a Spirit for a Spirit Event.

Since Nintendo decided to make more DLC characters and Three Houses is a success, we got Byleth on the first Pass and the other character is coming on next Fighter Pass.
---------
I'm happy when I see a Spirit Event because I love getting new spirits (I don't know why but whatever). Sure it's disapointing when it's a character I wanted as a fighter (I liked the idea of Leon or Jill as playable) but I get over it eventually, throwing a fit about things I don't like is for fools anyway :smash:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well I can tell you guys mandycan page went down for a little bit

But obviously it wasn’t the ninjas since it’s back and all the stuff is still there

Since *huffs* Vergeben and sabi are still infact legit since all the deconfirms were correct (also Vergeben got the costumes in just the nick of time)

Why not just ask them to check if mandycan is right about crash bandicoot being 6

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
With Doomguy seemingly out of the running and Gordon likely going to gain popularity because of the Half-Life titles being free to play on Steam until March, we might start seeing increased support for Gordon Freeman in the coming months, maybe even weeks.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
With Doomguy seemingly out of the running and Gordon likely going to gain popularity because of the Half-Life titles being free to play on Steam until March, we might start seeing increased support for Gordon Freeman in the coming months, maybe even weeks.
Watch as Gordon is revealed for Smash along with Half Life 2 episode 3...

Oh wait. Valve can’t count to 3. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom