• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Note: these are characters I want, not expect, I don't expect any of them to do it, but I would like it.

View attachment 258947

And as you can see, I am more of a fan of monsters and cartoon characters rather than anime ones...
God, if DanganRonpa and Team Fortress made it into Smash, it would be the Game of the Century for me.

I'd also love if Sakurai saved the last slot for Mother rather than the inevitable Gen 8 rep.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’m sorry, it’s just you sounded a bit condescending with how you worded it. I know you don’t like Steve, showing a lot of hatred to the idea in the past even if you’re calmer about it now, so when you asked if he’d be animated in a way you don’t like and “Wait, so Steve can't be a Mii Fighter because bendy limbs don't suit him... Doesn't that mean he's even less of a fit to be a full-blown fighter?” it sounded kinda condescending like you ignored some of what I was explaining about how I thought he looked fine otherwise + the mii’s limbs are nothing like his regular limbs or Dungeons.

I’m sorry if you meant no negativity about it, it just sounded off. It wasn’t even just you tbh, I saw others like your post so I thought they did the same thing, which is why I didn’t respond to you directly and left it there for everyone.
Word of advice: you're not gonna be able to convince anyone with indirect responses and accusations. I wanted to know and understand your opinion, despite my dislike for the character. You had a pretty good opportunity to get your thoughts out there, but instead you chose to repeat yourself and accuse anyone asking for further detail of ill intent. I'd say it's an opportunity squandered.

That said, no ill will towards you and I understand why you might feel that it might have been bait, especially coming from someone you know hates Steve, but people aren't always like that.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I'd rather spirits and assist trophies deconfirm because I don't want to go through this speculation cycle with characters like Waluigi, Isaac, Geno, Rex and Pyra, Elma, Dixie Kong, Leon, Officer Howard, and so many others when there's only 6 more fighters, it'd be too much. There's still plenty of potential characters if we ignore spirits and assist trophies as possible DLC, so it's not like it's making speculation boring or anything.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'd rather spirits and assist trophies deconfirm because I don't want to go through this speculation cycle with character that WILL cause flame wars like Waluigi, Isaac, Geno, Rex and Pyra, Elma, Dixie Kong, Leon, Officer Howard, and so many others when there's only 6 more fighters. There's still plenty of potential characters if we ignore spirits and assist trophies as possible DLC, so it's not like it's making speculation boring or anything.
How will any of those characters cause flame wars?

Plus saying that you don't want a character because the forums will go crazy speculating is a pretty dumb reason to me.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'd rather spirits and assist trophies deconfirm because I don't want to go through this speculation cycle with character that WILL cause flame wars like Waluigi, Isaac, Geno, Rex and Pyra, Elma, Dixie Kong, Leon, Officer Howard, and so many others when there's only 6 more fighters. There's still plenty of potential characters if we ignore spirits and assist trophies as possible DLC, so it's not like it's making speculation boring or anything.
little late for that when Byleth caused those exact same kind of flame wars, so at this point just go nuts I say and open the damn floodgates

...unless of course, it's for a non-videogame character. that's one can of worms that should never be opened

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
dude, this is Smash

any character will cause a flame war

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Heihachi and Nightmare are potential candidates for breaking that rule.
Also, they're among the main character set anyway. I don't know enough about Tekken's lore, but Nightmare isn't the protagonist(you can be a villain protagonist too~) regardless. It's often Siegfried or someone else.

Now, seeing an antagonist before a protagonist is something that's never been broken(okay, that sounds silly without clear context. For the first in the franchise, we've only seen non-villains). Another good example is Fulgore, who oddly is less important to the story than your two examples. But he's also the mascot and still is a main character in the story, usually playing second fiddle to the final bosses(I think this only changed in KI2013).

We just happened to not have a main character who is also a villain protagonist in Smash. Yet.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
now that images are back, here's my FP2 prediction image (in contrast to the dream pass posted yesterday)
Fighterspass2guess1.5.png

(if you can't see the image for some reason, it's Hayabusa, Dante, Urshifu, Steve, Waluigi, and Heihachi)
Hayabusa - Classic NES icon, same story you've been hearing for the entirety of the DLC cycle. Half of his alts use his modern design, half use his classic. He's revealed in a Febuary direct, and released in May. The Mii Costumes that come with him are pretty much random (like Banjo and Byleth), with a Hollow Knight "premium" costume being thrown in.

Dante - A popular Capcom series that's getting a big push on switch. Half his alts use his DMC3 design, the other half use his DMC5 design. Revealed at the end of E3, released in early October. The Mii Costumes that come with him are all Capcom characters, with Monster Hunter, Ace Attourney, Resident Evil, and Street Fighter costumes added. There isn't a premium costume.

Urshifu - Yes, I know about the SW/SH spirit event. But there wasn't an event for the SW/SH Expansion Pass, which is what Urshifu represents. He's revealed in the September direct, after some news for the Crown Tundra, and releases in December. His gimmick is that he can swap between two sets of specials: Single-strike and Rapid-strike. The Mii costumes released with him all come from Game-freak related games, like Pokemon and Little Town Hero. They also add a premium Frisk costume.

Steve - The most sold game on earth, it's pretty much a matter of time. He's revealed in next year's Febuary direct. He has a terraforming gimmick, and all his alts are different skins (including Alex and the Minecraft Story Mode protagonists). He releases in April. Like Banjo, his Mii Costumes are random, with a premium costume based on Madeline from Celeste.

Waluigi - The only "promotion" on the roster, chosen to fill the same role Banjo did. Half of his alts use his normal design, the other half use his Mario Tennis Aces design. He's revealed at E3 next year and released in August (he's a very simple character mechanically, so it doesn't take very long). His Mii Costumes are various Nintendo characters, such as Midna and Eliwood. A premium... Geno costume is revealed.

Heihachi - No Mii costume... it's suspicious. He's revealed in the September direct next year and released in December. Half of his alts use his old design, and the other half use his young design. His Mii costumes have other Namco characters, like Lyoid, Dig-Dug, and KOS-MOS. No premium costume.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also, they're among the main character set anyway. I don't know enough about Tekken's lore, but Nightmare isn't the protagonist(you can be a villain protagonist too~) regardless. It's often Siegfried or someone else.

Now, seeing an antagonist before a protagonist is something that's never been broken(okay, that sounds silly without clear context. For the first in the franchise, we've only seen non-villains). Another good example is Fulgore, who oddly is less important to the story than your two examples. But he's also the mascot and still is a main character in the story, usually playing second fiddle to the final bosses(I think this only changed in KI2013).

We just happened to not have a main character who is also a villain protagonist in Smash. Yet.
how about anti-heroes?

Would Travis count as an anti-hero? i mean his series IS called No More Heroes so I guess so

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
how about anti-heroes?

Would Travis count as an anti-hero? i mean his series IS called No More Heroes so I guess so
Well, he's also the protagonist. He's not a straight villain either way. But yeah, that's true. He'd be a cool option.

It's why I look at it as we generally get a protagonist, mascot, or it happens to be both. We rarely get the mascot(that isn't a protagonist) first. That's literally been Pikachu so far.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Why would any of those characters you mentioned (or any character that has a Spirit/Assist Trophy) cause MORE flame wars than characters that don't have spirits?

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
how about anti-heroes?

Protagonist is "the character you play as" in the context of this discussion. Like the main character of Hatred is still the protagonist despite being a mass murdering psychopath. Whether you want to consider Travis a villain or not, he's still the character you play as.

If we're going to use NMH as an example, it would be like getting Jeane before Travis.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I finished making my Fighter's pass 2. It's a mix of characters I want and characters I think have a good chance of making it in.

IdealFP2.png

devil_may_cry_v___dante___transparent_render_png_by_deg5270_dd277w2-fullview.png

Dante: I have nothing against Dante and I would enjoy seeing him and all his different moves come into smash. It's just that my most wanted also happens to be a Capcom character. Dante is the current frontrunner for Capcom and it would be weird if Smash went on without giving him a character spot, spirits or a Mii costume.

220px-Okami_Amaterasu.png

Amaterasu: Another Capcom rep that could make it into smash. I also wouldn't be against this one either even though I know next to nothing about her games.

Arle.png

Arle Nadja: She has the same case as Dante except with Kiryu instead. I played both Yakuza Kiwami and Puyo Puyo Tetris which is where I started each series. Kiryu is my top choice for the next SEGA rep, but if it was Arle, I wouldn't be opposed.

Crono2.png

Chrono: I have a friend that wants Chrono in smash and I can see why. I found Chrono Trigger very fun to play and invested some time into it. However this is more of character I would like to see and less of a character who has a good chance since he has a lot of competition against other Square Enix characters.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
In before they add Jin Kazama and Siegfried instead.
I'd be 100% happy with :)

Although... I'll use my "Fighter Pass Vol. 2 the will surely please EVERYONE WITHOUT EXCEPTIONS" to show you.
However, I'll acknowledge that Nightmare would probably be more fun in Smash than Siegfried. Can't say the same about Heihachi, though

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I finished making my Fighter's pass 2. It's a mix of characters I want and characters I think have a good chance of making it in.

View attachment 258955

View attachment 258957
Dante: I have nothing against Dante and I would enjoy seeing him and all his different moves come into smash. It's just that my most wanted also happens to be a Capcom character. Dante is the current frontrunner for Capcom and it would be weird if Smash went on without giving him a character spot, spirits or a Mii costume.

View attachment 258959
Arle Nadja: She has the same case as Dante except with Kiryu instead. I played both Yakuza Kiwami and Puyo Puyo Tetris which is where I started each series. Kiryu is my top choice for the next SEGA rep, but if it was Arle, I wouldn't be opposed.
bonus points for the chad kiryu gang

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
untitled.png

You can find the duality of mankind in this one picture alone.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Time for another game: Let's say that Fighters Pass 2 brings us six more "deluxe" Mii Fighter costumes like Sans and Cuphead, one for each Fighters Pass character (who the character is doesn't matter in this case), each one bringing at least one music track. Who would you want to see as "deluxe" costumes and what music tracks would they come with?
  1. :ultswordfighter: Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight) - "Strike the Earth!"
  2. :ultbrawler: Freddy Fazbear (Five Nights at Freddy's) - "Les Toreadors"
  3. :ultbrawler: Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue) - "Magical Sound Shower"
  4. :ultgunner: Quote (Cave Story) - "On to Grasstown"
  5. :ultgunner: Shinra (Ikaruga) - "Ideal"
  6. :ultswordfighter: Sword Knight (Kirby) - "Checker Knights"

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Well, he's also the protagonist. He's not a straight villain either way. But yeah, that's true. He'd be a cool option.

It's why I look at it as we generally get a protagonist, mascot, or it happens to be both. We rarely get the mascot(that isn't a protagonist) first. That's literally been Pikachu so far.
If you think of Wario as representing the Warioware series first and foremost, he is the mascot (and sometimes antagonist) of that series, not the protagonist. The protagonist is “you,” who is only rarely seen in-game but is still referred to by whatever name you entered by the characters in some pieces of dialogue.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Alright heres my legit fighter pass 2
I know its kinda bias and probably not happening but ill be happy if at least 1 or 2 get in
View attachment 258852

You can switch around any Sega character with Dr Eggman or NiGHTS
and Capcom with Tron Bonne too
Me trying to make my fighter pass nicer and colorful only to realize that Arle, Wright, Alis, and Digimon would all use blue or yellow background only colors and I can only choose 2

b6e26_f02356a1_640.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If you think of Wario as representing the Warioware series first and foremost, he is the mascot (and sometimes antagonist) of that series, not the protagonist. The protagonist is “you,” who is only rarely seen in-game but is still referred to by whatever name you entered by the characters in some pieces of dialogue.
Ah, so he's more of an exception potentially, being the mascot, but not the protagonist.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Of course, just cause we see patterns doesn't mean they exist. XD

Also, despite this, Wario is also an odd situation, being a Mario-series character and the protagonist of Wario Land. He's clearly different from Pikachu's situation. Either way, maybe it's just more of an ideal guideline, looking for the protagonist or the mascot(or both) for the potential first representative. I mean, the series is named after him. Either way, I don't think there was ever a hard rule to begin with. Even if you go by "per game". Robin shows you don't need to be the main protagonist to get in either. He/She's a protagonist of part of the story, sure, but it's already well-known Chrom is the core one.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Time for another game: Let's say that Fighters Pass 2 brings us six more "deluxe" Mii Fighter costumes like Sans and Cuphead, one for each Fighters Pass character (who the character is doesn't matter in this case), each one bringing at least one music track. Who would you want to see as "deluxe" costumes and what music tracks would they come with?
  1. :ultswordfighter: Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight) - "Strike the Earth!"
  2. :ultbrawler: Freddy Fazbear (Five Nights at Freddy's) - "Les Toreadors"
  3. :ultbrawler: Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue) - "Magical Sound Shower"
  4. :ultgunner: Quote (Cave Story) - "On to Grasstown"
  5. :ultgunner: Shinra (Ikaruga) - "Ideal"
  6. :ultswordfighter: Sword Knight (Kirby) - "Checker Knights"
1. :ultbrawler: Monokuma (Danganronpa) - Original Danganronpa Series Medley (includes the three PTA themes and the Logic Dive theme)
2. :ultbrawler: Ori (Ori and the Blind Forest) - Light of Nibel (set to Gaur Plain) OR Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark (also set to Gaur Plain)
3. :ultgunner: Gunvolt (Azure Striker Gunvolt) - Eternal Blue (Beyond the Blue for JP); set to Midgar
4. :ultgunner: Copen (Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX) - Igniter (Luminous Avenger iX Ver.) ; set to Port Town Aero Dive
5. :ultswordfighter: 2B (NieR Automata) - idk uhhhh NieR Automata has a lot of awesome tracks, go with whatever
6. :ultswordfighter: Jevil (Deltarune) - comes with a new remix of The World Revolving OR Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII) - new One Winged Angel remix

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
So here's an interesting thought exercise. Sakurai has broken a bunch of fanmade "rules" over the years, but there's still a bunch left. Which one would you guys MOST want broken? Some rules include but are not limited to:

No Assist Trophy upgrades
No Spirit upgrades
Post-release Spirit board series/games won't be getting a character
No non-main characters before main character
No antagonists before main character
No indies
No "region-locked" characters (coming from a series that hasn't officially released in both North America and Japan)

As for my most wanted (Monokuma), I'd have to go with the antagonist one.

That said, there's a twisted part of me that wants the "no non-main characters before main character" one (which I categorize as separate from the antagonist one). The reason for this is it would DESTROY the speculation scene entirely. Just imagine the chaos it would cause.

Like, think of instead of Hero getting in, Kyle from Dragon Quest 11 did. Instead of Banjo Kazooie, we got Bottles. Instead of Cloud, we got Wakka from Final Fantasy 10. It would be hilarious and open speculation up to a ridiculous extent since it would seem the characters picked are entirely random and not have any logic behind them at all.
-The first two seem to be the most popular ones many want. I'll also throw in Pokeball upgrades as a general request too, which I'm surprised isn't more popularly suggested since Pokemon are a species and they did generally that with Croagunk in Pokken. For now I'm just gonna tow the line on this regard since all of FP1 and Spirit Events have been pretty consistent here, despite how frustrating it may be for many. Though to be fair WoL does have some contradictions that open the speculation doors on how Spirits are treated, going by how there are some that use Kirby Avatars despite the fact that Kirby was never captured by Galeem.

- 50/50 on this regard. Resident Evil seems to be the most popular candidate, though while guns are fair play in Smash these days, Gore is not. So getting spirits based on Nemesis or William Birkin could be a problem though Mr. X is in the clear.

-Already done by Pokemon, we had no trainers till all the way up in Brawl. this also was what most likely started the early trend of thinking RPG mascots were gonna get higher character priority then protagonists, which was shut down 3 times over by Cloud, Joker and The Hero.

-Nightmare seems a fair candidate here, though many think we would get Sigfried as well as a possible Echo to reflect the whole theme of Soul Edge v Soulcalibur from that game. If we get Heihachi Mishima he will fulfill this goal though since he was only a protagonist in 2 and 7, kinda neutral in 3(till the ending) and an antagonist in everything else.

-Steve(?), Shantae, Reimu and Shovel Knight seem to be the top 4 wants here by many. If you REALLY wanna stretch it though if we get Ms. PAC-MAN she would rep the mod scene due to being the first major ones-on top of one of the first ever female protagonists.

-Marth, Roy and Lucas say hello. If you mean the reverse though, Mike Jones seems to be the most popular want-and how bout that Startropics has no content in Ultimate yet! And it's not like it's a fully forgotten IP either since they do have it on the NES Classic after all....

Rikarte

Smash Ace
No Spirit Upgrades should be broken - I really want Elma, Black Shadow and Octolings okay

"No non-main characters before main character" - YMMV on this one if you count Robin as the main character of FE:A and not Chrom (which I do).
What about Pikachu and Pokemon Trainer? Sure, :ultpikachu:is the mascot but it's not the main character.

Troykv

Smash Master
Seven.

I think four variations of the Marth moveset is one or two too many, and likewise, three protagonists from Awakening is one or two too many. I understand why it ended up that way over the course of Smash's development, but we're talking ideal numbers here.

I'd probably remove Lucina. And if I remove Roy as well, I'd replace them both with a single character with a new moveset. Like Celica, Lyn or Micaiah. Or the Black Knight.

Oh, and I'd replace Corrin with Azura. Because I'm biased, and she'd be more aesthetically and functionally different from the other previous FE characters.
I'm always late when the Mods mention Micaiah, I'm sorry to necro post this, it's just made me feel a bit happy xD

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm always late when the Mods mention Micaiah, I'm sorry to necro post this, it's just made me feel a bit happy xD
I gotchu.

A mage besides Robin would be preferable to four Marth movesets any day. I think we can all agree on that. After that, it just becomes a question of which one. Micaiah is really high up on that list for me.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Here are my predictions!

predictions.png

Dante: Not at all something I want, but things seems to be falling into place for him. Capcom is pushing DmC hard right now, there's a bunch of Switch ports of the games still coming, and Capcom is the most crossover happy company that ever was. I would love to be wrong and have this be Phoenix, but I don't think I will be, unfortunately. Ah well, I'll be happy for his fans!

Crash: If we're getting another western IP, Crash seems to make the most sense to me. He's an extremely iconic character that would fit right in, and will finally succeed where PBR failed. :p

Agnès: Bravely is being mad slept on for Smash DLC: The series is basically a Nintendo exclusive, and Nintendo and Square both felt the series was big enough to have a new reveal for it be spotlighted at The Game Awards. If Square gets another character, I wouldn't count Agnès out.

Lloyd: Okay, like...Y'all already know I want Yuri, ha ha. I post about him quite a lot and he is probably in my top three most wanted, but let's be real, Symphonia is the Tales of darling. If it's getting in (and I would be very surprised at this point if it isn't), Lloyd's gonna be the rep. And that's fine, Symphonia is cool.

...Yuri would be robbed, though >:-(

Arle: Sega has been pushing Puyo Puyo more in the west and she seems to be one of the more unique Sega options available. I could totally see Sakurai choosing her for a chance at making a puzzle game-based moveset.

Toxtricity: The inevitable first party promotional pick that ticks everyone off. I'll be one of the few who will love it.

I'll post my wishlist pass later, these take forever to make, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom