• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Fighter 5 is Charles Stiles from Mystery Dinners.

His neutral special is setting three explosive cameras on himself, the side special is setting four explosive cameras in front of him, the down special is setting up two cameras on the floor and the up special is setting up five cameras in the sky.

His final smash is releasing the drone.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Luckily for me, Smash Ultimate is basically THE Smash game because of gameplay and roster. I waited for years for Snake to return, and for I’ve made a connection with most of the characters in the roster.

While I am mainly a “gameplay matters” type of guy, Smash Ultimate is amazing with the characters it currently has. There are a few picks I’m going all in on now, like Dante and 2B. If the next Smash (which I don’t expect for...a long time) cuts a significant portion of the roster, and therefore a significant portion of characters I care about, my interest will drop immensely. This website has proved to me that many others think similarly, and that drastically changing the gameplay style isn’t going to do some magic.

With fighting games, you don’t typically overhaul the way characters play. I’ve played Mario since 64, and there haven’t been hugely massive changes to his moveset that he feels like a different character. I do well with him because his moveset is basically muscle memory to me.

Changing things THAT drastically would be a turn off.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Probably because cuts end up hurting someone, can sour the mood because people pretend to sound sophisticated to essentially "This character is peepeepoopoo and they should be cut because I don't like them". There's nothing interesting to discuss about the topic as it's been done to death and back
To be fair, most topics in this thread have already been done to death, and we rarely add anything new to the conversation. A normal day in this thread can be summed up with...

"So do you think we'll get a Direct this upcoming..."
"What would your reaction be if (insert character) got in Smash and..."
"Who would be your five most-wanted..."
"I know nothing new has happened since the last conversation, but I think (insert character) is likely because..."

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to discuss cuts, but I don't mind having the occasional conversation on who I think could get cut just for the sake of having something different to discuss. I just know it likely won't get very far before a few people try to shut the conversation down because they don't see the appeal in the topic.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To be fair, most topics in this thread have already been done to death, and we rarely add anything new to the conversation. A normal day in this thread can be summed up with...

"I know nothing new has happened since the last conversation, but I think (insert character) is likely because..."

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to discuss cuts, but I don't mind having the occasional conversation on who I think could get cut just for the sake of having something different to discuss. I just know it likely won't get very far before a few people try to shut the conversation down because they don't see the appeal in the topic.
Nobody sees the appeal in a topic which goes against the selling point of Ultimate, or rather, Smash as a whole. Want to discuss something different? Think of something we haven't already discussed, talking about potential cuts is like talking about how Shadow could be an echo but he could also be unique. We've left that discussion to rot as there was nothing to salvage of it so we left that bloody horse corpse alone

D

Deleted member

We could also talk about not highly speculated characters and who we could add in Smash 6.

Characters such as Viewtiful Joe, Quote, Chase McCain, Pauline, Dragonlord or even Midna could be fun characters to talk about and imagine a moveset for them.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
If the pass had a name, it would be the “Please shut the **** up Smashboards” Fighter Pass
It feels like every month there’s always one user that joins and all they talk about, or at least insinuate, that Smashboards sucks, or that the people here are annoying or entitled or whatever.

It’s not hip and cool or smart, it’s annoying, and it’s not like the points that are brought up are something people here don’t know.

D

Deleted member

Now, talking about one of the picks I mentioned:

Dragonlord would be quite a fun villain to add in Smash. An Akira Toriyama evil wizard who could turn into a dragon for his Final Smash and potentially use some few DQ monsters on his attacks.

I have a feeling that Sakurai would make him quite a really energetic and animated character as he did with the heroes.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Using that template posted earlier, I made a vague prediction roster. Aside from Arle, they could be shuffled around in pretty much any order.
Prediction.png

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here's mine cause im too lazy to open Photoshop:
FP5: KOS-MOS
Intermission bonus a la Piranha Plant: Elma
FP2-1: Neku Sakuraba
FP2-2: Dovahkiin
FP2-3: Byleth
FP2-4: Octoling
FP2-5: Officer Howard
Last four: Mecha-Fiora, Bandana Dee, Black Shadow, Dixie Kong

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
After the DLC reset, or at least after Pick 5, I think at the very least the following characters could definitely be in contention , though I wouldn’t say “they’re in!”:

Dante
2B
Dovakhiin
Ezio Auditore

Dovakhiin and Ezio are western made, so no idea if that would impact their potential inclusion, but Dante is a character that would fit like a glove and is absolutely in demand. 2B is a modern gaming icon from a smaller Japanese created series, and I’ve been told Sakurai has met with with Yoko Taro (though I have to do some more asking around about that), and she’s crossing over with everything.

I would also say Geralt, as he’s another modern gaming icon. However, he’s a gray area character based on origins and is also western-based. This isn’t to say I don’t think western picks have a shot, but all but one DLC pick have been Japanese-created, Sakurai has expressed his enjoyment of exposing the world to/supporting the Japanese gaming industry with Smash...all that stuff.

I’m not convinced Spirit upgrades will happen, nor am I incredibly convinced of 1st parties. However, if there WERE upgrades, I’d say Rex has a good shot, if it’s just a new 1st party then I’d say Astral Chain twins or Edelgard. Aside from that? Not convinced tbh.

I’d mention Crash, but he’s pretty high on everybody’s lists. Seems self-explanatory.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
What would your reaction be if we got 10 more DLC characters after the Fighter's Pass but they were Waluigi, Geno, Bomberman, Crash, Lloyd Irving, Phoenix Wright, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid and Sora?
Skull Kid being playable is one of the things that would get me to buy Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I honestly don't envy the developers who have to work on the next Smash. Building off of Ultimate's base is bound to be highly taxing with all the moving parts like negotiations behind it, but cutting a large chunk of the characters is bound to disappoint a lot of people since everyone has a character they're attached to and don't want to see go. Neither decision would be easy to make since there's going to be a lot of pressure on the developers to make a game that either keeps everything intact or has to be able to deal with and then make up for the massive backlash that cutting the roster would bring.

We could also talk about not highly speculated characters and who we could add in Smash 6.

Characters such as Viewtiful Joe, Quote, Chase McCain, Pauline, Dragonlord or even Midna could be fun characters to talk about and imagine a moveset for them.
To be honest, I'd like to see more discussion on those type of characters. Part of the problem with discussion is that as much as we try to avoid it, it's very easy for us to get tunnel-vision and focus on the characters that are 'likely', and through that those characters tend to get exhausted in discussion since we repeat the same old discussion points about them. There's a number of underrated characters that people overlook despite what they could bring in terms of how they play, what they bring to the table in terms of their series, or what history they have, and characters like Terry have proven time and time again that those type of characters do exist outside of the bubble we put ourselves in. So it's really more a matter of allowing ourselves to get out of that bubble and see what the world offers outside of the chosen few.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
After the DLC reset, or at least after Pick 5, I think at the very least the following characters could definitely be in contention , though I wouldn’t say “they’re in!”:

Dante
2B
Dovakhiin
Ezio Auditore

Dovakhiin and Ezio are western made, so no idea if that would impact their potential inclusion, but Dante is a character that would fit like a glove and is absolutely in demand. 2B is a modern gaming icon from a smaller Japanese created series, and I’ve been told Sakurai has met with with Yoko Taro (though I have to do some more asking around about that), and she’s crossing over with everything.

I would also say Geralt, as he’s another modern gaming icon. However, he’s a gray area character based on origins and is also western-based. This isn’t to say I don’t think western picks have a shot, but all but one DLC pick have been Japanese-created, Sakurai has expressed his enjoyment of exposing the world to/supporting the Japanese gaming industry with Smash...all that stuff.

I’m not convinced Spirit upgrades will happen, nor am I incredibly convinced of 1st parties. However, if there WERE upgrades, I’d say Rex has a good shot, if it’s just a new 1st party then I’d say Astral Chain twins or Edelgard. Aside from that? Not convinced tbh.

I’d mention Crash, but he’s pretty high on everybody’s lists. Seems self-explanatory.
Yoko Taro and Sakurai were guests on a Christmas livestream hosted by Kamiya so that might be what you are thinking of.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

Dante
2B
Dovakhiin
Ezio Auditore

personally i think 2B is a much more a 'when, not if' pick at this point, given square's current attitude towards nier and their growing habit of crossing over absolutely everything with it

it hinges on square making a second deal post-pass but if there's anyone they're going to go for it's her

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here's to hopefully next week on the 6th!

I think everyone can agree we want this DLC speculation of FP5 to finally end. Imagine if we gotta wait until February.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
personally i think 2B is a much more a 'when, not if' pick at this point, given square's current attitude towards nier and their growing habit of crossing over absolutely everything with it

it hinges on square making a second deal post-pass but if there's anyone they're going to go for it's her
Yeah, I have a similar feeling. I can see her being the first character of the next pass, if there's another fighter pass as the current one. She would surprise a lot (if she isn't leaked) of people like Joker and she's pretty popular. In that sense she feels a Joker 2.0 as a pick, a good decision to open a new pass.
I think Geno could happen, but I honestly consider that 2B and Geno chances are more or less the same.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
It feels like every month there’s always one user that joins and all they talk about, or at least insinuate, that Smashboards sucks, or that the people here are annoying or entitled or whatever.

It’s not hip and cool or smart, it’s annoying, and it’s not like the points that are brought up are something people here don’t know.
“Your are not allowed to joke or criticize the site you use, mindlessly consume the product”

Anyways, you do know I wasn’t even making fun of the site, I was pointing out how that list characters was full of characters that have been repeated exclusively here

So, if it was real, I felt like it was Nintendo was talking directly to this site, like ”Hey, this specific website, we did it, now shoo”

But that apparently came across as differently, so my apologies

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
2B definitely feels like a character Sakurai would include. She's not too far removed from the likes of Joker and Bayonetta.

I'd say the one "issue" she faces is just the fact that Nier, unlike the other third party IPs represented in Smash, has no real history on Nintendo's consoles. Not even a spinoff, like Persona. That is, unless there's ports for Switch secretly in the works....

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
2B definitely feels like a character Sakurai would include. She's not too far removed from the likes of Joker and Bayonetta.

I'd say the one "issue" she faces is just the fact that Nier, unlike the other third party IPs represented in Smash, has no real history on Nintendo's consoles. Not even a spinoff, like Persona. That is, unless there's ports for Switch secretly in the works....
Well we know SOMETHING is in the work for NieR at the minute though Sakurai himself has expressed disinterest in the whole Nintendo significance discourse

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
imageedit_17_7525072082.png
Moveset:
B neutral: bubble
B side: rainbow
B up: parasol up
B down: parasol guard

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

said it before but i think nintendo relevancy flew out the window the moment joker was added without a single reference to Persona Q/Q2

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Like all other third-parties, whether or not 2B gets in depends mostly on Nintendo at this point. Not Sakurai, not SE.

If they're truly the ones deciding the DLC, then whether or not Sakurai would want her and SE's treatment of Nier wouldn't matter if Nintendo didn't feel like taking the initiative to ask for her. Can't say I've picked up any patterns on what Nintendo is looking for in DLC characters, but I think we should be careful and not overestimate 2B either, especially since SE is seemingly the most difficult and unpredictable third-party company to work with as of now.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
SE is seemingly the most difficult and unpredictable third-party company to work with as of now.
Can we let this Stingy Square meme die already? FF and DQ have unique situations which make the choice reliant on Nintendo, they allowed Geno to appear at all and they even chose to let Team Four Star's FFVII Abridged series to stay up as they were well aware of it

D

Deleted member

Can we let this Stingy Square meme die already? FF and DQ have unique situations which make the choice reliant on Nintendo, they allowed Geno to appear at all and they even chose to let Team Four Star's FFVII Abridged series to stay up as they were well aware of it
Heck, to this point Dragon Quest still has the most spirits out of every DLC franchise in Ultimate.

Not even SNK got as many spirits.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
2B certainly seems like a sensible addition. The Nier series has technically been going on since 2003, and Automata itself made a pretty huge splash when it came out. I guess you could say it’s similar to Persona 5 in that way. Regardless, 2B herself is pretty iconic, and based on Square’s policy of constantly shoving whoever their current poster boy is into everything, I’d say she’ll only grow in popularity. Until a new SE game gets popular with a new recognisable protagonist and Square abandons 2B in the dust at least.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It's just that Squares series are all legal nightmares to work with, I'm sure if Square fully owned all aspects of their series we would have as much as Capcom series got because they are aware of how marketable the content is.

Heck, to this point Dragon Quest still has the most spirits out of every DLC franchise in Ultimate.

Not even SNK got as many spirits.
Wait, did they?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I wasn't necessarily calling them stingy, but yes, I do feel like there tends to be more to accommodate with them compared to other third-parties involved with Smash. People weren't initially expecting DQ to be restrained, but it did. Now everyone is acting like it was expected all along.

I'll cut them some slack when I see a third SE character get in with remixes and English VAs, like every other third-party.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not quite sure how SE is “unpredictable” with Smash. We have their two largest series Final Fantasy, (which has licensing issues with music) and Dragon Quest, the grand dad of JRPGs.

If they’re unpredictable because they didn’t add a side character from a generations old Mario RPG game over their biggest, legacy wielding series, then that’s off the mark in my humble opinion. What else makes them unpredictable? The fact that a series with music licensing issues only got two of the most iconic songs from the game? The fact that Dragon Quest has Luminary as the main skin? I don’t think either of those is all that unexpected.

Is it that they have only Japanese voices? That’s because Cloud’s VA is the only dude who can do the English voice, and if I remember right he’s Union, which Nintendo avoids.

I’m also not sure “Nintendo won’t pick 2B!” when they’re evidently responsible for choosing Joker, a blatant “more PlayStation than Nintendo” pick. The crossover is Persona 5 mainly, with zero reference to SMT which is what people point out when they say, “B-but it has Nintendo history!”

Really think the “relationship with Nintendo” is more important to fans than Nintendo themselves. No “history” is going to make Joker, Cloud, or Snake seem “more Nintendo” than they would be associated with PlayStation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's just that Squares series are all legal nightmares to work with, I'm sure if Square fully owned all aspects of their series we would have as much as Capcom series got because they are aware of how marketable the content is.

Wait, did they?
Oddly enough, yes.

At first DQ had as many spirits as P5, but when they added the Tockles spirits it then became the DLC series with the most of them just by that extra addition.

And yeah, it shocks me to not see SNK having as many spirits or even more.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I wasn't necessarily calling them stingy, but yes, I do feel like there tends to be more to accommodate with them compared to other third-parties involved with Smash. People weren't initially expecting DQ to be restrained, but it did. Now everyone is acting like it was expected all along.

I'll cut them some slack when I see a third SE character get in with remixes and English VAs, like every other third-party.
Sugiyama being stingy to the point you had to mute the music if you wanted to stream the games was known when Brave was first obtained. Also the reason behind the SE characters not being dubbed is because Nintendo of America cheaped out as seen with other stuff involving VA's like Palutena and Magnus getting replaced because their VAs wanted to actually be respected and some VAs having to go uncredited

osby

Smash Obsessed

"Like every other third-party"?

You realize that Dragon Quest alone has almost as much content as Bandai-Namco as a whole, right?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
"Like every other third-party"?

You realize that Dragon Quest alone has almost as much content as Bandai-Namco as a whole, right?
b-b-b-b-b-but square music bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom