• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I wouldn't say they'd go as far as making new movesets for every character. Sure some characters might get a new move or two (I'm looking at you Ganondorf), but I think most of the movesets would remain the same. What I think might change in the core gameplay is the engine. We might get some changes to hitstun and whatnot, we also might get new mechanics like air dashing or something as cool. A sequel to Ultimate may not surprass it's predecessor in terms of roster, but it can improve on different things like gameplay mechanics, single player content (I still want a proper adventure mode), and an actual good online system.
I don't think simply improving Smash will be good enough. People are going to be heartbroken when a huge chunk of the roster is cut. I can only see people accepting that if Smash sort of... starts over. As if we are being reintroduced to Smash all over again.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I don't think simply improving Smash will be good enough. People are going to be heartbroken when a huge chunk of the roster is cut. I can only see people accepting that if Smash sort of... starts over. As if we are being reintroduced to Smash all over again.
Unfortunately that's how I picture the reception for the next game will be. Even if the next game is mechanically better than Ultimate in terms of everything besides the roster, there will be people that will be upset over it. Sakurai is aware he opened Pandora's Box with "Everyone is Here" and it's impossible to keep the same number of fighters for future titles, let alone increase the roster with the amount we already have.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
If we get a Breath of the Wild level shake up for Smash it will ease the pain of losing so many characters. They really need to wow people with something else entirely.

I'm more confident Sakurai can do it than Game Freak with Pokémon. You really need to make those cuts feel like it was worth it.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean, if Smash Ultimate just becomes a platform like RuneScape, World of Warcraft, or Team Fortress 2, and we just keep getting extra content from now til the end of time....
I'm totally cool with that.
The difference here is that you don't need to rebuy those games when you upgrade from a Windows XP computer to one running Windows 7. Meanwhile we don't know and shouldn't speculate right now on whether or not the Switch's successor can support its cartridges.

SKX31

Smash Master
If we get a Breath of the Wild level shake up for Smash it will ease the pain of losing so many characters. They really need to wow people with something else entirely.

I'm more confident Sakurai can do it than Game Freak with Pokémon. You really need to make those cuts feel like it was worth it.
I've thought along the same thoughts for a while - Smash 6 will need to stand out on its own. Not just to make the inevitable roster cuts (and possible compression, like merging Dr. Mario into Mario or Dark Pit into Pit as alts) more palatable, but also to give its own identity. Not just "Ultimate's Smaller Successor". It does depend on which way Nintendo go with their next console - and I don't think even Nintendo knows this answer just yet. For all we know they might be looking at really early R&D on that console right now. It's also possible they haven't even started working on it yet.

It must be nice for the devs to know that no matter what they remove, the game is still going to sell millions.
About that... yeah, should've seen that coming.

Easier to say with hindsight, but your average Joe / Jane's not going to care that much that so many Pokemon got cut. "Gotta catch them all" was already obsolete by Gen 3; it's been that way for 15+ years at this point and the focus was on new Pokemon anyway. That fact has seeped through the anime, marketing etc. Also: expectations were never high on TPC / Game Freak to innovate, so the mere fact that Pokemon's now on home console's likely a major bonus. Regardless of any graphical hiccups.

Really, the fanbase's complaints were too limited to the echo chambers and Average Joes / Janes didn't generally see it the same way.

I personally don't want to reward people / companies playing too safe since it easily leads to complacency. I won't lose sleep over Sw / Sh, but if you ask me it would've been a Day 1 buy for me if they were in the oven for one more year or so. So they could add more stuff to do in game, graphical fixes / improvements (like animations) and generally smoothing things out. Not saying they're bad games, but for me, I never really was interested in Sw / Sh since TPC / GF played it too safe with the home console debut.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
What would your reaction be if we got 10 more DLC characters after the Fighter's Pass but they were Waluigi, Geno, Bomberman, Crash, Lloyd Irving, Phoenix Wright, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid and Sora?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What would your reaction be if we got 10 more DLC characters after the Fighter's Pass but they were Waluigi, Geno, Bomberman, Crash, Lloyd Irving, Phoenix Wright, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid and Sora?
I'd snap your hand off for that. Not only is 10 way more than I expect, but the selection is borderline perfect.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ew, meh, ok, whatever, neat, great, ugh, awesome, off and great, not necessarily in this order.

SKX31

Smash Master
Okay, so my take:

Waluigi: 10 / 5 Mastahpiece. Time for Anarchy!

Geno: Eh, neutral on him. Could be a very interesting moveset, but if I'm being perfectly honest he seems to be more fitting as a base roster pick, pardon my Greek.

Bomberman: Also neutral. Could have more potential then expected, but never grew up on the character.

Crash: 8 / 10. Not my favorite Activision-Blizzard pick (I grew up on Blizzards, see), but damn he'd be one of the prime characters if Sakurai wanted to say "Screw console wars". Support.

Lloyd: Neutral, if only because I'm leaning heavily on Yuri "Learnt from the GLSoSaGT*" Lowell for my Tales pick. Double swords could be cool I guess.

Phoenix Wright: 8 / 10 see you in court. While not my favorite Capcom pick (that goes to Amaterasu) his UMVC3 portrayal won me over. Bonus points if they somehow manage to get Hong Kong / Chinese actor Aaron Kwok to do his mo-cap.

Isaac: Neutral but overall leaning towards positive. Unrepresented series, moveset potential and something unique to call his own.

Bandada Dee: Sorry but screams "Base Roster" IMHO. Otherwise I'm fine with him honestly.

Skull Kid: "Base Roster", again. Could be interesting (hey, fairies could be a unique thing for attacks), but I'm really struggling to see him as DLC.

Sora: 9 / 10. Not my absolute favorite S-E rep (Lara Croft and 2B duke it out for that slot), but I love Kingdom Hearts' ridicolous story, combo system out of this world etc. Extra points if Balloonga's included. Because I want to see the combos get even more ridicolous.

I'm buying any announced DLC characters (as I did with the FP) Day 1 because I trust Sakurai and Sora Ltd. to develop great characters and I trust Furukawa and the other Nintendo execs to help pick them. That fact wouldn't change with this lineup, regardless of my opinions.

*(George Lucas' School of Spinning and Good Tricks)

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
At least it has Waluigi, Crash and Nick I guess.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Just swap Skull Kid with Andy and it's a 10/10 pass for me.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Waluigi: Nah! This may seem cruel to the fans but I kind of like the idea of him getting snubbed every Smash game. He makes me think of DickDastardly, trying to screw other characters over but ultimately paying the price for his devious schemes.

Geno: I'd be fine with this because he looks cool. He can cast magic and shoot projectiles so he could he not be cool? The only people who hate Geno hate him irrationally to spite the fanbase because they're worried that Geno could be a potential threat to their most wanted.

Bomberman: I'd be okay with him.

Crash Bandicoot: He would be a great character. I'd love for all his neutral attacks to just use his spin attack since it's his most reliable move. I don't think making it a special move would do it justice.

Lloyd Irving: I'd be okay with him.

Phoenix Wright: I'd be okay with him.

Isaac: I'd be okay with him.

Bandanna Dee: I'd be okay with him.

Skull Kid: Meh.

Sora: I'd be okay with him.

Overall, your pass is just okay. No one particularly eye opening but it at least checks the boxes for most of the louder fanbases.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Firstly I'd be OK with 10 more characters after the fighters's pass. After all as long as they will to continue to show further support for Smash.

As for the choices, whilst I consider them as possible candidates for further DLC, I would also add the likelyhood that we could potentially see perhaps someone from Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Black Widow, Captain Marvel, Chun-Li, Gamora, and Morrigan: "Am I a joke to you?"
I would add the female Monster Hunter to that list. Either ways, I really wished MvC:I did a lot better in terms of its character choices as there are so many characters from both Marvel and Capcom I would like to see.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Needs more Elma/10

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Waluigi and Phoenix Wright alone will make me hype for it.

D

Deleted member

I would be cool with all of them.

I wouldn’t buy one character in specific due to the company who owns them, but still cool for their fans.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Black Widow, Captain Marvel, Chun-Li, Gamora, and Morrigan: "Am I a joke to you?"
Out of 36 characters, yes that is a joke. Especially when they had plenty of female characters in the past game where they just cut for no reason, even ones that weren’t X-Men.

You defintely didn't play MvCI if you earnestly believe that.
It was a joke. A hyperbole. And there was some truth. While there were plenty of male characters cut as well, mostly X-Men and Wesker, it still stands that literally every female character from Marvel vs. Capcom 3 except for Morrigan and Chun-Li was cut. Yes they added some but barely any and half of them were DLC characters.

Oh dear...you do know I'm still here
I’m confused on whose side you’re on. Regardless it seems I triggered a bunch of people on this thread with a simple joke at a roster that almost everyone considers to be objectively sh****, by just pointing out the lack of female characters on it. If it makes you people feel better, yes there ARE other problems with it, such as the lack of X-Men and the cuts of series mainstays Wolverine and Magneto and terrible models. OK? Just because I noted it lacked female characters doesn’t mean it’s the only thing I care about? You can rest easy now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Waluigi: I don't actively want him, but I would be happy with his inclusion
Geno: ew
Bomberman: Yes
Crash: could be interesting
Lloyd: no
Phoenix: Never played but good for his fans
Isaac: also no
Bandanna Dee: I like Kirby so sure
Skull Kid: definitely no. I will only allow Tingle to be the next Zelda character, any other choice is objectively worse.
Sora: Same as Phoenix

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Waluigi: Good for his fans
Geno: Same as Waluigi
Bomberman: Also good for his fans. Even though I know why they did it with echoes taking less time and all, it did always make me feel sorry for Bomberman fans that Castlevania got two reps and Bomberman got an AT.
Crash: Cool, nice to have another PlayStation icon here so we can have Mario vs Sonic vs Crash.
Lloyd Irving: Tales is one of my favorite series so I would be really excited.
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is one of my favorite series and an icon of the DS so again I would be really happy.
Isaac: I’d be pretty happy that Golden Sun finally got a rep.
Bandana Dee: Good for his fans. Though now that we have 1st Party DLC on the table I’m questioning why Dixie Kong isn’t in this list.
Skull Kid: Meh. I’d rather have Impa or Midna. Don’t know why this guy of all characters would be chosen to be the first non triforce Rep.
Sora: Out of my mind excited and happy. With both Kingdom Hearts and Tales being in Smash, it would officially become the Ultimate JRPG crossover.

Overall Sora, Phoenix, and Lloyd would be the characters that would excite me the most by far, and the rest of them would be OK or meh. However knowing that Assist Trophies are on the table I would be slightly disappointed that Krystal, Midna, or Lyn were not included and knowing that 1st Parties were on the table I would be downright bewildered at the lack of Dixie Kong and disappointed at the lack of a Xenoblade character like Elma or Rex & Pyra/Mythra.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi: Sure, why not.

Geno: Finally.

Bomberman: Cool. I just hope he isn't campy.

Crash: I don't care much for Crash or his games, but it would admittedly be a huge reveal. Might be cool.

Lloyd: Couldn't care less.

Phoenix Wright: I'm currently playing AA: PW for the first time, and it's fantastic. So you can consider me a Wright supporter. Edgeworth being an echo would be asking too much, but a man can dream.

Isaac: Cool.

Bandana Dee: There are many Kirby character that would excite me, but the Dee is not one of them.

Skull Kid: My favorite Zelda character from my favorite Zelda game. Of course I would be delighted to see him. Although at this point, I would accept most Zelda characters.

Sora: The only character on here I truly dislike.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Geno, Bomberman, Crash, Phoenix and Sora are five of my top picks, so already it's worth it in my eyes.

Waluigi and Lloyd would be interesting picks, even if I'm not actively rooting for them. With Isaac and Bandana Dee, it would be one of these "hype by proxy" situations where I'm more happy for the fans than anything else.

Only character I don't care about is Skull Kid, but honestly, that lineup would be so good for me already that I'd have 0 reasons to be upset.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
My interest to these characters range from "YES" to "ehh okay". So overall it's a good line-up and I would definitely buy it.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If we're showing our desired final roster picks then here is mine.

Evil Trapezium's smash ultimate roster 2.png

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Waluigi: Nah! This may seem cruel to the fans but I kind of like the idea of him getting snubbed every Smash game. He makes me think of **** Dastardly, trying to screw other characters over but ultimately paying the price for his devious schemes.
Plus Waluigi's representation is meant to be a loser which I find to be very fun. I'd be sad to see the fanart where misfortune and bad luck falls upon him ends.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
If the pass had a name, it would be the “Please shut the **** up Smashboards” Fighter Pass

Bomberman is the only one I personally care (Though, I fell like I’m the only Bomberman fan who have moved on him being a AT)

But this indeed a good ideal as this what 90% of what I see in this thread, waaaaay to much of “going back to take spirits and ATs and upgrading” and less original characters, to the point if this was real, this better not be fully priced

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
At least in my mind roster cuts for a future game are less like a Pokemon situation and more a Mario Kart one. Character rotations are commonplace in most games of this genre and especially with the number of licenses involved not just from 3rd parties but also some home brands like Earthbound or Fire Emblem, a drop from the 80+ number here seems inevitable in a sequel. I understand the frustration as such- every character is someone's favorite character- but there are a multitude of factors at play that make the idea of the roster spanning eternally not feasible. And in a bit of a controversial take, I think that's the best move since at one point character discussion has started creeping away from wanting characters for the variety they bring to Smash to wanting characters for the sake of wanting characters...and that excess can do more harm than good in the long term.

Having said this though we don't have to worry about that for years- we get a Smash every console gen and the Switch is just in it's 3rd year soon. But it's really a cautionary tale to not go nuclear if and when this happens for the next game.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I, for one, don't mind cuts, I think there's a ton of fat that you can totally cut from Ultimate. And honestly, I'm dreading when the next game comes and y'all spoiled brats act like there has to be massive gameplay overhauls to justify cutting a few characters.

Every single character is a 10/10 pick, I'd buy this pass in half a heartbeat.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Cuts are okay with me because I know how difficult it'll be for Sakurai to keep 80+ characters and add more on top of that.

Just sucks to discuss potential cuts on Smashboards because there's always that one person who has to be like, "I don't want ANY cuts in the next Smash game. This conversation is bad and the people participating in it must obviously hate certain characters if they think they'll be cut. How petty of them."

osby

Smash Obsessed
Cuts are okay with me because I know how difficult it'll be for Sakurai to keep 80+ characters and add more on top of that.

Just sucks to discuss potential cuts on Smashboards because there's always that one person who has to be like, "I don't want ANY cuts in the next Smash game. This conversation is bad and the people participating in it must obviously hate certain characters if they think they'll be cut. How petty of them."
That's a hyperbole, but I'm not sure why this topic is so popular in this thread particularly.

You'd think people would come a thread named "Newcomer Speculation" to talk about character additions instead of cuts.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Probably because cuts end up hurting someone, can sour the mood because people pretend to sound sophisticated to essentially "This character is peepeepoopoo and they should be cut because I don't like them". There's nothing interesting to discuss about the topic as it's been done to death and back

I.D.

Smash Lord
That's a hyperbole, but I'm not sure why this topic is so popular in this thread particularly.

You'd think people would come a thread named "Newcomer Speculation" to talk about character additions instead of cuts.
There isn't that much difference between "your character is bad and should be cut from smash" and "your character is bad and should never get into smash", is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom