• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Regrettably, a lot of speculators do not enjoy Smash as much as Smash speculation itself. (See: Brawl before it released vs. Brawl after it released)
That...Honestly confuses me. Wouldn't the passion for speculation come from a passion for the game? Like, I know we joke about people only caring about what's on the CSS, but people do know that there's an actual game to be played after you pick a character on that same CSS, right?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Honestly, it kinda feels like I'm growing out of Smash speculation somewhat.

Obviously, I still enjoy it a fair degree, but a lot of the magic that Smash speculation once held when I got back into it around 2010/2011 has sort of gone away. I think it's because Smash Ultimate checks off so many of the dreams I had for a future Smash game. I no longer have to speculate what a Smash game with all veterans, Mega Man, Eight, Little Mac, Bowser Jr., King K. Rool, Ridley, and all 3 protagonists from Fire Emblem Awakening is like, I can turn on my Switch and play it. Obviously, having the real thing beats the hell out of ****posting over it here, but it does make speculation a little more dry.

That being said, I do have a few more tertiary wants I would love to see join the battle, so Smash speculation brings me enough joy that I can put aside being a pessimistic asshole to enjoy the ride. Plus, you guys are pretty cool.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
That...Honestly confuses me. Wouldn't the passion for speculation come from a passion for the game? Like, I know we joke about people only caring about what's on the CSS, but people do know that there's an actual game to be played after you pick a character on that same CSS, right?
I mean, a lot of it for us here is the social aspect of us being able to talk about the game here, isn’t it? There isn’t really as much of a social aspect for us regarding actually playing the game as compared to talking about it.

(For me personally, I’d still personally rather play SSF2, as I prefer the gameplay + it’s way more convenient to drop into and play. There really isn’t much of a speculation scene around SSF2, though, as there is way too little stuff in terms of patterns for us to even try to make speculation regarding it. Besides, they’ve already revealed the next six characters and we’re just waiting for them to actually release them, which could be anytime but is probably quite a while from now.)

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Some people just get a kick out of seeing how crazy this crossover can become by the end of it, I suppose.

Krankees

Smash Ace
What confuses me is why people are so impatient for FP5.

Y'all could just...I dunno, play Smash while you wait? I mean, the game's just sittin' there, you'd think people who are this into figuring out who the next character is would equally be just as into actually playing Smash.
I do need to catch up on some practice.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I mean, that's the ideal that we all hope for. It's natural to just dream about one's favorite characters being in Smash.

But as with most cases with internet discussion, a lot of people just want to be right about something. They want to be the big winners of the gamble, the geniuses who predicted the future while their enemies languish in their naivete. Because getting a newcomer is always great, but getting someone you really believed would get in is an even greater high. Being right about who got into Smash Bros is a victory that few things in the whole world can match, and there's only a limited number of opportunities for that to happen.

Thankfully, most people enjoyed Smash itself first before they got into speculation, so it's not entirely just an internet competition.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What confuses me is why people are so impatient for FP5.

Y'all could just...I dunno, play Smash while you wait? I mean, the game's just sittin' there, you'd think people who are this into figuring out who the next character is would equally be just as into actually playing Smash.
She says on a thread dedicated to speculation.

I mean, a lot of it for us here is the social aspect of us being able to talk about the game here, isn’t it? There isn’t really as much of a social aspect for us regarding actually playing the game as compared to talking about it.
This. Smash is more fun when you play other people, but I don't really have anyone to play with. Also, I can talk about this game for hours on end. I'm also always looking forward to what's next; what else could be. As such I'm hopelessly addicted to this thread.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
We are impatient because the fighter pass was all third party and had a specific direction. FP5 is the last of the pass, and the announcement may come with a tease of the first post pass character.

We don't know if they will stick to the same formula for the post pass characters, we don't even know if they will be all third party or not... we are not even 100% sure that FP5 will be third party.

The next announcement will probably clarify a lot of things, and if not the next announcement, the one directly after.

Me personally, I'm always impatient to know who the next character is, because I don't want to main Kirby anymore and I'm looking for a new main. If one of my wanted characters will be announced as DLC, it will automatically become my new main.

I usually have a lot of patience; I got both the 3DS and the WiiU versions of Smash 4, and at the time, I used my huge patience to get all the Mii hats in both versions of the game. This time, I decided to use my patience to wait for all the DLC characters to be revealed and see if at least one of them can be my new main, before deciding if to get the game or not.
(the changes between Smash 4 and Ultimate are too small and don't appeal me enough to justify getting the new game, and a favorite character getting in is the only thing that can change my mind from skipping the game).

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I do have to admit that I'm a mite impatient as to who FP5 is as well. Of course I want to see who it is just as well as anyone, but there's a few other factors at work here.

- We already know four out of the five characters, and yet all we know is that it could be anyone. So much for patterns!
- No dates to wait for now that TGA has passed, since NIntendo doesn't generally do Dec/Jan Directs - so we don't know when they're going to be revealed anymore.
- FP5 will be out by February at the latest. Another four month wait at the worst, four potential months of zero leads and only Vergeben's word to work with. Not exactly a fun update roadmap.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
We are impatient because the fighter pass was all third party and had a specific direction. FP5 is the last of the pass, and the announcement may come with a tease of the first post pass character.

We don't know if they will stick to the same formula for the post pass characters, we don't even know if they will be all third party or not... we are not even 100% sure that FP5 will be third party.

The next announcement will probably clarify a lot of things, and if not the next announcement, the one directly after.

Me personally, I'm always impatient to know who the next character is, because I don't want to main Kirby anymore and I'm looking for a new main. If one of my wanted characters will be announced as DLC, it will automatically become my new main.

I usually have a lot of patience; I got both the 3DS and the WiiU versions of Smash 4, and at the time, I used my huge patience to get all the Mii hats in both versions of the game. This time, I decided to use my patience to wait for all the DLC characters to be revealed and see if at least one of them can be my new main, before deciding if to get the game or not.
(the changes between Smash 4 and Ultimate are too small and don't appeal me enough to justify getting the new game, and a favorite character getting in is the only thing that can change my mind from skipping the game).
What character would finally push you to get Ultimate?

And I’d argue that Ultimate has done quite enough to distinguish itself from 4.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Ultimate is still just a touch up of 4 which was a touch up of Brawl, so I don’t blame anyone for not caring about it gameplay wise.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I'm not even aiming to see who's Fighter 5. Even if I do have candidates I do and don't want in that slot, I can already tell it's a new guest and that doesn't excite me all that much.

What I really want to see is evidence that existing franchise additions have some chance after the pass. My enjoyment of Smash Ultimate, for better or worse, depends on that criteria.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I'm not even aiming to see who's Fighter 5. Even if I do have candidates I do and don't want in that slot, I can already tell it's a new guest and that doesn't excite me all that much.

What I really want to see is evidence that existing franchise additions have some chance after the pass. My enjoyment of Smash Ultimate, for better or worse, depends on that criteria.
If I’m reading your post correctly, why wouldn’t you want any new third party characters for FP5? Genuine question, I really wonder why some people here seem to dislike them for that purpose.

And ironically enough, my viewpoint is quite the opposite, I really hope that we continue to down this route for the remainder of DLC.

KingEzra123

Smash Cadet
what yugioh rep would be in smash Obelisk The Tormentor anyone

watch Kris Kringle be an echo fighter of Ganondorf but Kris Kringle uses Light magic instead of dark magic

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
If I’m reading your post correctly, why wouldn’t you want any new third party characters for FP5? Genuine question, I really wonder why some people here seem to dislike them for that purpose.

And ironically enough, my viewpoint is quite the opposite, I really hope that we continue to down this route for the remainder of DLC.
I'm not the one that you asked the question, but I'm also not a huge fan of third party (although I don't dislike them) so I want to give my opinion on why.

I think the main reason why I'm a bit done with third party for now if that we just got so many. In Smash 4 dlc, out of the 4 newcomer we got 3 third party. In Ultimate, counting Piranha plant we got 4 third party for 5 dlc.

I think the problem of having that much third party with no first party in between them is that they feels less and less special. Seriously, Snake and Sonic blew my young teenager mind, they really feels special in the roster because they where only 2 out of 16 newcomers. Same with Smash 4, we got 2 third party out of 15 newcomers before dlc. This make Mega man and Pac-man really special in the roster alongside Sonic.

But now we just got Terry Bogard and for me it's just like "oh cool..". There's really nothing special anymore about having them because now we expect them so much.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I'm not the one that you asked the question, but I'm also not a huge fan of third party (although I don't dislike them) so I want to give my opinion on why.

I think the main reason why I'm a bit done with third party for now if that we just got so many. In Smash 4 dlc, out of the 4 newcomer we got 3 third party. In Ultimate, counting Piranha plant we got 4 third party for 5 dlc.

I think the problem of having that much third party with no first party in between them is that they feels less and less special. Seriously, Snake and Sonic blew my young teenager mind, they really feels special in the roster because they where only 2 out of 16 newcomers. Same with Smash 4, we got 2 third party out of 15 newcomers before dlc. This make Mega man and Pac-man really special in the roster alongside Sonic.

But now we just got Terry Bogard and for me it's just like "oh cool..". There's really nothing special anymore about having them because now we expect them so much.
I think there is a reason why.

They branded the game as the “biggest crossover in entertainment”. There will never be an opportunity like this again, a Smash 6 will have many cuts in it. So I believe that is why they are trying to fit in as many new franchises as humanly possible, they will never be able to do it again.

And I honestly am a big fan of this current direction, so I hope they keep going in it for post pass.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman

They branded the game as the “biggest crossover in entertainment”. There will never be an opportunity like this again, a Smash 6 will have many cuts in it. So I believe that is why they are trying to fit in as many new franchises as humanly possible, they will never be able to do it again.

And I honestly am a big fan of this current direction, so I hope they keep going in it for post pass.
See, but that's the problem. Smash 6 could be YEARS away and have many cuts, but that further dooms the first-party candidates that missed the mark this time. Even if they do add some then, there's a possibility they'll be as minimal as the first-party inclusions in Ultimate. But more importantly, why do we have to wait for a chance to get first-party inclusions? For all we know, next time they might add NO first-parties and focus purely on the guest inclusions.

I'm not saying third-parties are invalid, but there should be a limit to how many are included to balance out time and resources for potential first-parties. Something that won't happen if we don't get off the track we're on.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Not that I believe 4chan leaks, but KOS-MOS is starting to be as omnipresent in fake leaks as Erdrick was pre-E3.
And remember what I said about persistent rumors.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
See, but that's the problem. Smash 6 could be YEARS away and have many cuts, but that further dooms the first-party candidates that missed the mark this time. Even if they do add some then, there's a possibility they'll be as minimal as the first-party inclusions in Ultimate. But more importantly, why do we have to wait for a chance to get first-party inclusions? For all we know, next time they might add NO first-parties and focus purely on the guest inclusions.

I'm not saying third-parties are invalid, but there should be a limit to how many are included to balance out time and resources for potential first-parties. Something that won't happen if we don't get off the track we're on.

I’m sorry to say, but Sakurai and Reggie have stated numerous times in the past that this is a crossover that represents all of gaming now, not just Nintendo. In fact, I’d argue that, taking the direction of the pass into account, all of the first party spirits and assist trophies don’t seem to be a coincidence now.

Also, Sakurai can do whatever he wants with this roster, he shouldn’t completely halt his vision for this amazing gaming crossover just because a few people are still blowing their tops over Waluigi being an assist.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not that I believe 4chan leaks, but KOS-MOS is starting to be as omnipresent in fake leaks as Erdrick was pre-E3.
I don't remember you saying anything about persistent rumors.

At least Hero was datamined, this is just people piggybacking in an echo chamber.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
The reason Erdrick had so many fake leaks for him was because people were piggybacking the Brave datamine and Vergeben.

KOS-MOS has not received that substantial evidence yet, the only reason why she is a constant in fake leaks is because, as Fatman once said, “she is a character /v/ loves to will into existence.”

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Listen I agree I love third party characters and the unique charm they bring with them but when you stop and think about all the franchises that could get further content and expand upon the roster in a lot of great and charming ways even from a first party standpoint it just really feels like wasted potential imo like Style Savvy, Rhythm Heaven, Daemon X Machina, Astral Chain (which doesn't have any representation) and so on so forth.

Astral Chain is a brand new franchise just waiting to get any representation at all same with stuff like FE:TH though it's from an already represented franchise. I don't really have a comeback for what you're saying and I'm not really trying to do that I guess but I just feel ignoring literally 50% of potential inclusions is wasted potential. I just don't really like the new hip "First Parties don't matter" feeling I get from Speculation.

Plus personally I'd hate for someone like Rex to just waste away and never get in Smash since the next one could be years and years from now when XBC2 is irrelevant and XBC3 or even 4 is out as Rex didn't make it in only due to time-constraints. I feel like this is his moment of redemption his now or never last hurrah and I want to see that come to fruition.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

People have different preferences and like certain things more than others. That’s it.

It feels that you don’t like how other people don’t share your vision of what Ultimate and Smash should do going forward because you bring this topic and asked the same question several times in just the past few days.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The reason Erdrick had so many fake leaks for him was because people were piggybacking the Brave datamine and Vergeben.

KOS-MOS has not received that substantial evidence yet, the only reason why she is a constant in fake leaks is because, as Fatman once said, “she is a character /v/ loves to will into existence.”
Doom Slayer had so many fake rumors as being part of the Fighter's Pass with "evidence', and yet he isn't according to Sabi and Verge.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
People have different preferences and like certain things more than others. That’s it.

It feels that you don’t like how other people don’t share your vision of what Ultimate and Smash should do going forward because you bring this topic and asked the same question several times in just the past few days.
If people feel that way, more power to them.

I just wanted to get an insight on why they feel that way.

Listen I agree I love third party characters and the unique charm they bring with them but when you stop and think about all the franchises that could get further content and expand upon the roster in a lot of great and charming ways even from a first party standpoint it just really feels like wasted potential imo like Style Savvy, Rhythm Heaven, Daemon X Machina, Astral Chain (which doesn't have any representation) and so on so forth.

Astral Chain is a brand new franchise just waiting to get any representation at all same with stuff like FE:TH though it's from an already represented franchise. I don't really have a comeback for what you're saying and I'm not really trying to do that I guess but I just feel ignoring literally 50% of potential inclusions is wasted potential. I just don't really like the new hip "First Parties don't matter" feeling I get from Speculation.

Plus personally I'd hate for someone like Rex to just waste away and never get in Smash since the next one could be years and years from now when XBC2 is irrelevant and XBC3 or even 4 is out as Rex didn't make it in only due to time-constraints. I feel like this is his moment of redemption his now or never last hurrah and I want to see that come to fruition.
If I didn’t completely dislike Astral Chain, maybe I’d agree on that point.

And no disrespect to their fans, but when you were listing stuff like Style Savvy as first parties remaining, it just illustrated my reasoning for wanting more third parties even more.

Literally every single major franchise Nintendo has to offer is playable already, and the smaller ones are represented in some way, shape or form as well too. I just don’t see why we should give those really smaller franchises a priority when we could be shooting for the moon with juggernauts like Doom, Crash Bandicoot, Kingdom Hearts, ect.

Again, Sakurai can do whatever he wants at the end of the day, but that is just my view on everything.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
In terms of third parties, I mainly wanted Banjo, Terry and Doomguy. With only one left it shouldn't be a surprise for someone like me to not have as much interest in the title screen having 50 copyrights.

That's not to say I will not be interested in any third party outside of those three, but still, I got most of the third parties I primarily wanted.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
At this point im exlecting FP5 to release the same day its announced. Or at least very close to it

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
My 168% reliable source told me that FP5 will either be revealed before Christmas or after Christmas.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Basically I was satisfied with Ultimate when I learned Snake was back.

But "satisfied" wasn't good enough for Sakurai. No, he gave me Ridley, K. Rool, Simon, ****ING BANJO, Terry, and was the catalyst for introducing me to Persona and reintroducing me to Dragon Quest.

The dude has made me one happy camper and even though I will always pull for Hayabusa and Doom Slayer as hard as I can I can't help but admit that I'm being more than a little greedy. That's why, honestly, I really don't care WHAT characters are next. It's all cool with me.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
what
Regrettably, a lot of speculators do not enjoy Smash as much as Smash speculation itself. (See: Brawl before it released vs. Brawl after it released)
But vanilla Brawl sucks. Of course conversation died down.
Literally every single major franchise Nintendo has to offer is playable already, and the smaller ones are represented in some way, shape or form as well too. I just don’t see why we should give those really smaller franchises a priority when we could be shooting for the moon with juggernauts like Doom, Crash Bandicoot, Kingdom Hearts, ect.
My character wishlist doesn't include franchises. There are specific characters I want. I don't care how many franchises or companies cross over in Smash.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
and the smaller ones are represented in some way, shape or form as well too. I just don’t see why we should give those really smaller franchises a priority when we could be shooting for the moon with juggernauts
1. Being already represented didn't stop various ballot requests from becoming newcomers
2. They already prioritized a couple franchises that are smaller than the juggernauts. Minecraft being way bigger than Banjo-Kazooie was why some people doubted the bear's inclusion, for example.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
For me, I found the main of my life and although I have characters that I really want them to get in, I'm ok with what I have now

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
For me, I found the main of my life and although I have characters that I really want them to get in, I'm ok with what I have now
Same. My main has been in since 64. My secondary came with Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom