• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Question, why are people already begging for Kasumi in Smash, even though Royal hasn’t even released in the West yet? And all we have seen so far are trailers?

Is it because of the Jane datamine awhile back and nothing else?
Some people just want more P5 content. Some fans like her design. A few people (like myself) actually followed a Japanese playthrough and was really moved by her character arc and development.

But it's mostly memes.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
But what if Royal comes out in the west and she turns out to be an incredibly unlikable, poorly written character?
unless something goes horribly, horribly wrong in the translation of the already-released japanese game, i'm not particularly worried about that happening

KatKit

Smash Lord
I would love having Kasumi in Smash. Gotta get around to playing DOA6, but from what I played with other DOA game, she and Ryu and Ayane, are my favorite characters.
Yeah, the ninjas are fun. I'm down for Kasumi or Ayane.

DoA 6 has a downloadable free-to-play version where you can enjoy the new single player mission mode and test out every character. I got the free version and bought my main (Rachel) and Kula separately. For now, I'm set.

While the new strike mechanic is very fun and the gameplay is solid, 6 lacks a tag mode at the moment. It's still worth trying out though. I'm going to eventually buy it when the final version is out and it has more content.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone have any memes about the battle between Fatman and Burb last week?

Or is no one allowed to even mention it, let alone meme it anymore?

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Question, why are people already begging for Kasumi in Smash, even though Royal hasn’t even released in the West yet? And all we have seen so far are trailers?

Is it because of the Jane datamine awhile back and nothing else?
If you want a real answer, it was probably the jane thing and nothing else

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Any thing new?
Not directly related to Smash. Although apparently VGA had a banner year:

Expectations over a Smash reveal was likely a major reason why, but the main factor comes probably down to VGA simply being much more well-known than 2-3 years ago.

In other news, Nintendo opened up the full eShop in Hong Kong and South Korea yesterday. I'm pointing this out because Nintendo's expansion plans are not limited to China by any stretch of the imagination. And since they're giving the DLC list to Sakurai chances are that global / regional popularity is a factor for Nintendo. Again, Sakurai has the final say - but when :ult_terry:'s already in I don't think we should discount the possibility.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Does anyone have any memes about the battle between Fatman and Burb last week?

Or is no one allowed to even mention it, let alone meme it anymore?
They already came to an understanding. I don’t think it needs to be brought up.

I don’t see why it would be memed. Don’t give people anymore reason to be terribly rude.

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Christie and Mila are the only ones that matter.

If it came down to adding another big fighting series and SamSho was off the table, I could definitely get behind DoA (particularly over Tekken).
"Fans may have anticipated King of Fighters or Metal Slug as our next SNK representative, but here is your favorite centuries old 2D weapon-based fighting game: The Last Blade."
Partial to Helena or Leifang
You're so goddamn predictable at times and I appreciate that.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Do the characters make you hate the gimmick or do you just hate the gimmick? Regardless I do agree for the most part; I'd hate to see this mechanic shoved onto a pair of characters just because they appear together.
It's both. I think they were a bad Smash pick AND that gameplay gimmick is terrible.

It's not even like it represents their game or anything, because the game doesn't play like that.

Except for Kunio. He gets a pass because you liked him before hand.
I think Kunio is WAY more iconic than ICs(pre-Smash at least). Especially in Japan. But even in NA, River City Ransom was more iconic than Ice Climbers.

At first, I wanted Decidueye over Incineroar because he seemed cooler, is a grass starter, and would have more of an interesting moveset.
Same here.

Trainer returning and Incineroar made me stop caring about Pokemon in Smash.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
The more I think about it, not revealing Terry at EVO was such a missed opportunity.

Imagine the trailer playing unprompted immediately after the KOF XV reveal.

The crowd would’ve gone nuts.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The more I think about it, not revealing Terry at EVO was such a missed opportunity.

Traditional fighting game fans would of reacted a hell of a lot better then fans of a party fighting game for sure

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

That would make too much sense. Just like revealing fighter 5 at the game awards made too much sense. Nintendo doesn't work like that.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
You're so goddamn predictable at times and I appreciate that.
I'll grant you that Leifang would have probably been a safe bet, but I don't know how you'd guess Helena. >_>

That said, even though I've never been super into most of the games, DoA is actually a series where I'd be surprisingly OK with a lot of the cast.

blackghost

Smash Champion
If you're implying that there was demand for Plant you're the revisionist here, I don't think even the staunchest of its defenders would back you up on this one.

There was demand for characters fitting those criteria, not a single character for all. The people who supporter those kinds of characters didn't necessarily support all of those at one. And wanting those kinds of characters still doesn't mean you want Piranha Plant.

That's like saying that because certain groups of people want 1. Solo female characters 2. First party characters 3. Grass-type starter Pokemon 4. Old characters then all of a sudden Bayleef is in demand.
there are two types of demands/wishlist smash fans make there are the more generous ones that just want a list of criteria/ attributes to filled from a new character and those that want a specific character. believe it or not, i think there are more people into the first category. because it leads to less disappointment. The people rooting for doomguy right now a lot of time also want a FPS character of some kind. People right now with FP5 are rooting just for companies (capcom, arcsystem, sega, ect). The people that wanted a fighting game character are happy with terry was it the EXACT character from the genre they wanted? maybe maybe not but when you are more open to characters getting in from the entire genre you are less likely to be unhealthily invested and you are less stressed out. The people that root for one character tend to over time become more and more toxic as they get bitter as their one character doesn't make it in.

i found a lot more reasonable commentary on plant from non smash streamers. Maximillian (the guy that called bayo getting in two years prior to her release) instant reaction was "Ok there's the new joke/retro character i was wondering when it was coming." many other non smash centric had reactions like that.

When a character fills certain traits that the fanbase wants some people will be happy that the character fills some of what they wanted and some will pout that its not their exact wish depends how invested you want to be.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

While watching EVO, my partner turned to me and was like "Hey what if the smash logo hit and-" and started playing Kurikinton on their phone.

We had been calling Terry since December. Little did we know we were just a little too early.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
there are two types of demands/wishlist smash fans make there are the more generous ones that just want a list of criteria/ attributes to filled from a new character and those that want a specific character. believe it or not, i think there are more people into the first category. because it leads to less disappointment. The people rooting for doomguy right now a lot of time also want a FPS character of some kind. People right now with FP5 are rooting just for companies (capcom, arcsystem, sega, ect). The people that wanted a fighting game character are happy with terry was it the EXACT character from the genre they wanted? maybe maybe not but when you are more open to characters getting in from the entire genre you are less likely to be unhealthily invested and you are less stressed out. The people that root for one character tend to over time become more and more toxic as they get bitter as their one character doesn't make it in.

i found a lot more reasonable commentary on plant from non smash streamers. Maximillian (the guy that called bayo getting in two years prior to her release) instant reaction was "Ok there's the new joke/retro character i was wondering when it was coming." many other non smash centric had reactions like that.

When a character fills certain traits that the fanbase wants some people will be happy that the character fills some of what they wanted and some will pout that its not their exact wish depends how invested you want to be.
A lot of that kind of sounds like the excuse that was given for Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. "People don't like the character inclusion, they like the function of that character. People like Magneto because of his 8 way dodge, and we gave that to Nova." Then it turns out that people actually liked the character in a game that was all about characters crossing over. Saying that people want a type of character instead of a specific character cheapens Smash Bros because the whole thing is about playing as your favorite character.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Can you guy remind me who deconfirmed Gordon Freeman?
Was Vergeben, Sabi, or both?
Oh yeah, we need two separate lists on them now. That was Verge.

(Old video at this point but the list at the timestamp still holds true.)

KillerCage

Smash Master
Oh yeah, we need two separate lists on them now. That was Verge.

(Old video at this point but the list at the timestamp still holds true.)
Thanks, Guy!
With that cleared up, did anyone besides me notice that the new Half-Life VR game wasn't shown at TGA despite being promising to do so?
Maybe Gordon was supposed to be shown as FP5 alongside this new game, but then Valve pulled out at the last minute.
This could be possible IF Vergeben has been lead astray by his source.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
staindgrey staindgrey wanna educate these people on how Operation Meteor got removed entirely by false claims proving how easy it is?
Very late to the conversation since I was out of town, but gladly.

Untrue
https://twitter.com/_styleszx2/status/957777937331257346
Everyone also keeps saying that it is very easy to impersonate a company on youtube and take videos down through falseflag strikes but is it really that easy? I may or may have not tried to do the same thing with no success. Can someone with more expertise in this area explain how it's done?
My channel parodies copyrighted content, specifically Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, which is owned by Bandai Namco. Legally speaking, I'm allowed to do this as I'm protected by precedent in US courts regarding parody. However, if someone claims copyright, Youtube defaults to the copyright claimant.

In July my entire channel was taken down and my personal Youtube account was banned due to being affiliated with the channel in question, all in less than 24hrs. This was due to a copyright troll using a personal Gmail account to place copyright flags on every video I had all at once-- including the ones that didn't even have Gundam Wing in them, such as the update videos that were 100% original content drawn by another user here, Noipoi Noipoi .

This copyright troll did not own the rights to what he said he did. Further, he was working on behalf of Viz Media, a company that owns the manga publishing rights for Gundam Wing in North American territories. Bandai Namco, the company who actually owns the rights to the video content we use, was never involved in the process, and neither was any human being. The copyright troll sent out bots looking for anything on the internet labeled "Gundam Wing" and flagging them for Google to take down. Youtube's bots then accepted this and took them down. At no point was a human being involved, nor did the copyright troll have to show any proof of actually owning the rights to the content he was flagging.

The only reason I have my channel back is that I found the copyright troll's personal phone number and called him repeatedly for days demanding he remove the flags. He finally did, and now we're good. But had he not, I would have simply been SOL unless I took him to court, and I don't have the money for that.

We actually made a video shortly afterward trying to explain what happened and our stance on it in a tongue-in-cheek way.

So yeah. **** sucked. And **** that guy and his ****ing personal Gmail account.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thanks, Guy!
With that cleared up, did anyone besides me notice that the new Half-Life VR game wasn't shown at TGA despite being promising to do so?
Maybe Gordon was supposed to be shown as FP5 alongside this new game, but then Valve pulled out at the last minute.
This could be possible IF Vergeben has been lead astray by his source.
I don't think there's any conspiracy there. I think that was just the ol' curse of Valve Time striking once again.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
So I suddenly remembered Super Smash Bros Flash was a thing. It inspired me to create a stage of the weird Sonic OC, "Blade". Everyone is here and all that:4dedede:.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Hell I even added a Mr Incredible Mii Costume. Many an hour spent playing Smash Flash while waiting for Brawl to drop. Good times (in spite of the nutty roster).

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
It was a possibility albeit a small one.

EDIT: Slow day today, isn't it.
Wouldn't expect it to be very fast here until Nintendo finally shoots red hot Smash news into our veins to give us a high that'll last another two months or so. Give us a fix, Daddy Sakurai.

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Sick stage, bruh.

EDIT: Slow day today, isn't it.
I'll take a slow day over that Piranha Plant bulls*** from yesterday.

Anywho I haven't given up on a shadow drop announcement this month but the odds aren't looking too good, ngl.

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
So I suddenly remembered Super Smash Bros Flash was a thing. It inspired me to create a stage of the weird Sonic OC, "Blade". Everyone is here and all that:4dedede:.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Hell I even added a Mr Incredible Mii Costume. Many an hour spent playing Smash Flash while waiting for Brawl to drop. Good times (in spite of the nutty roster).
Lmaoooo that’s a throwback. When are Blade and Blue coming to Ultimate?

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
Sick stage, bruh.

I'll take a slow day over that Piranha Plant bulls*** from yesterday.

Anywho I haven't given up on a shadow drop announcement this month but the odds aren't looking too good, ngl.
We should complain about Joker next! :ultpacman:

Yeah, I think this month is doomed to not have anything unless the Nindies Showcase means something else is near (which I doubt).
It's weird because this isn't our longest wait at all. We got Terry just last month and knew of him on September. Techinically, it was a seven month wait between learning of Joker and learning of Hero. Probably because most of that wait was just waiting for Joker.

I guess getting absolutely nothing at the Game Awards definitely added to feeling of longevity this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom