• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
What franchises that are currently in Smash would you like to see get more characters?

I'm gonna ignore the obvious choices (Zelda, Kirby, etc.) and say that I'd really like to see Splatoon and Sonic get more characters. Splatoon because it's been insanely successful, and it's really unique from other Nintendo franchises. Sonic because I feel like it's the second most iconic third-party franchise (only behind Pac-Man) on the roster. Plus, it has several decent options to choose from (Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Eggman).
I'd say Sonic is the actual obvious one. Moreso than Kirby.
I dislike the idea of only one character (not including Echoes) per Third Party series.
Bring us Shadow, Tails, Knuckles, AND Eggman!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
That's that then. Master Chief is our FP5.

Finally...
Having a game on the Switch (or, in this case, having a game rumoured to be coming to the Switch) doesn't necessarily mean that a character is going to be in Smash. Otherwise, I'd be able to play as Dante, Tracer, The Boss from Saint's Row 4, Scorpion, Cuphead, Clementine from the Walking Dead, Spider-Man, Cloud, Bayonetta, the hero of Dragon Quest XI... (...wait a minute...)

Last edited:

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I mean, Nia would have been able to save Vandham, but due to I guess the mercenaries' code of honor, he wanted to die an honorable death and she respected his wishes

i saw it like that at least
She was definitely contemplating using her powers, but I think she was really afraid to show them. Plus she probably didn't think it would do much to change the outcome, the party was severely outclassed at that point in the fight and healing will only do so much.

Though I don't even know why we're discussing XC2's story in this thread. People bringing it up because they like to trash on the game I guess, which quite frankly is getting tiresome. Surely there's other places for it.

My gut still says KOS-MOS simply because it's the only character Sabi and Vergeben refused to deconfirm.
I'm wondering how much faith I can put into their deconfirmations at this point. I can see KOS-MOS happening but I've grown quite sceptical when it comes to the supposed kill list.

D

Deleted member

What franchises that are currently in Smash would you like to see get more characters?

I'm gonna ignore the obvious choices (Zelda, Kirby, etc.) and say that I'd really like to see Splatoon and Sonic get more characters. Splatoon because it's been insanely successful, and it's really unique from other Nintendo franchises. Sonic because I feel like it's the second most iconic third-party franchise (only behind Pac-Man) on the roster. Plus, it has several decent options to choose from (Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Eggman).
Metroid and Dragon Quest out of personal bias.

Ignoring that criteria, maybe F-Zero and Xenoblade.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
She was definitely contemplating using her powers, but I think she was really afraid to show them. Plus she probably didn't think it would do much to change the outcome, the party was severely outclassed at that point in the fight and healing will only do so much.

Though I don't even know why we're discussing XC2's story in this thread. People bringing it up because they like to trash on the game I guess, which quite frankly is getting tiresome. Surely there's other places for it.

I'm wondering how much faith I can put into their deconfirmations at this point. I can see KOS-MOS happening but I've grown quite sceptical when it comes to the supposed kill list.
I am too, but like I said, KOS-MOS is currently sticking out like a sore thumb since she's literally the ONLY character Sabi and Vergeben REFUSE to deconfirm.
Also, lesser proof, but Sakurai seemed to be teasing another Bandai-Namco character in Terry's release trailer.

Metroid and Dragon Quest out of personal bias.

Ignoring that criteria, maybe F-Zero and Xenoblade.
I agree! Metroid's next character should be The Baby Metroid.
Unfortunately, Metroid's recurring characters are mostly enemies, but Samus's CONSISTENTLY RECURRING ally is The Baby.
1. Metroid is the name of the series, so why not have an actual playable Metroid?
2. If Piranha Plant can make it, so can The Baby.

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I will say, as much as I know Sakurai focuses on more Japanese centric options for Smash and as much as I know that Halo/Xbox aren't super popular in Japan, it would be a real shame to miss the opportunity to put Master Chief in Smash if Halo is indeed coming to Switch.
Steve's the most likely option for a MS rep in my opinion. With the Xbox being nearly non existing in Japan, Master Chief wouldn't quite fit in. While Hero and Joker come from franchises whose fans are mostly Japanese, they still have a decent following in the west too. Steve's popular everywhere and Minecraft even surpassed 1m in sales in Japan. I'd be really surprised if the Chief made it before him. (i dont want neither btw...)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Steve's the most likely option for a MS rep in my opinion. With the Xbox being nearly non existing in Japan, Master Chief wouldn't quite fit in. While Hero and Joker come from franchises whose fans are mostly Japanese, they still have a decent following in the west too. Steve's popular everywhere and Minecraft even surpassed 1m in sales in Japan. I'd be really surprised if the Chief made it before him. (i dont want neither btw...)
Banjo is already our Microsoft rep. If you want to argue that I'm wrong and stupid because it's clearly Rare, then Minecraft would be a Mojang rep.

Master Chief is the Xbox character. You can't go a goddamn Xbox trailer without showing his him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>tfw people still think Switch ports confirm Smash fighters even after what happened with Overwatch.

B630C031-54BF-4254-8F53-AEADE0140AA9.jpeg

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Japan is very aware of Halo.
PC exists.

D

Deleted member

I am too, but like I said, KOS-MOS is currently sticking out like a sore thumb since she's literally the ONLY character Sabi and Vergeben REFUSE to deconfirm.
Also, lesser proof, but Sakurai seemed to be teasing another Bandai-Namco character in Terry's release trailer.

I agree! Metroid's next character should be The Baby Metroid.
Unfortunately, Metroid's recurring characters are mostly enemies, but Samus's CONSISTENTLY RECURRING ally is The Baby.
1. Metroid is the name of the series, so why not have an actual playable Metroid?
2. If Piranha Plant can make it, so can The Baby.
I unironically agree.

The Baby Metroid is a character I actually want and can even his Final Smash being a huge reference to his final scene in Super Metroid.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

The big ones for me would be Zelda, Kirby, and Xenoblade.

It's kind of ridiculous that we haven't had a proper new Zelda character in Smash for about eighteen years, depending on whether you count Toon Link (he seemed like a replacement for Young Link to me, since he fills the exact same niche of a smaller, faster Link). Hyrule Warriors alone shows that there's tons of potential, and yet Zelda characters like Midna and Skull Kid keep getting crammed into the assist trophy role instead.

Kirby's in a similar boat - Bandanna Dee seems to be the front-runner, given his role in the series since Return to Dream Land, but Kirby Star Allies shows that there's a TON of options for Kirby characters.

As for Xenoblade, I realize that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 came out at an unfortunate time as far as the Smash roster goes, but that shouldn't rule it out for the post-Fighters-Pass DLC as well, and if it does for whatever reason, then Xenoblade Chronicles X is always an option. (Elma stands out the most from that game, for me at least)

I'd like to see Sonic and Splatoon expanded with echo fighters - Octoling for Splatoon, and Tails for Sonic. As we saw with Ken and Chrom, characters can have different normal or special moves and still be considered echo fighters - just give Tails a few different basic attacks, a different recovery, and maybe a different side special, and he'd still probably qualify as an echo. They could claim that he's imitating Sonic since he idolizes the guy.

Maybe Jeanne as a Bayonetta echo fighter, or Proto Man as a Mega Man echo fighter using some of Mega Man's custom moves from Smash 4. Also, upgrade Alph to an echo fighter and justify it by giving him Rock Pikmin instead of Purple Pikmin - that doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tracer is Fighter 4 because of Overwatch Switch-Probably the people who think Master Chief is fighter 5 only because of the MCC Switch rumours.

D

Deleted member

Tracer is Fighter 4 because of Overwatch Switch-Probably the people who think Master Chief is fighter 5 only because of the MCC Switch rumours.
Terry is just leak bait. He'll be replaced with Tracer next patch.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure Vergeben corroborated the Master Chief Collection on Switch.

My gut still says KOS-MOS simply because it's the only character Sabi and Vergeben refused to deconfirm.
We can argue about Sabi, but Vergeben acted really suspicious about the subject.

He strictly said “no Namco”, but still seemed to have attempted to create a safety net just in case the VGA 4chan leak was real.

Also, how in the world was Terrys trailer teasing a Namco rep?

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
We can argue about Sabi, but Vergeben acted really suspicious about the subject.

He strictly said “no Namco”, but still seemed to have attempted to create a safety net just in case the VGA 4chan leak was real.
A backtrack is better than being proven wrong.
This ain't an exact science. As Sabi said, leaks are like a game of telephone.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
A backtrack is better than being proven wrong.
This ain't an exact science. As Sabi said, leaks are like a game of telephone.
?????

So what you are saying is that it is ok to backpedal like crazy for your leaks? To make it literally impossible for you to be wrong?

Do you understand that this is what loz18 used to do all the time? And we all know how that turned out.

Either you have the information, or you don’t. Anyone that changes their narrative constantly should immediately draw suspicion.

D

Deleted member

Also, how in the world was Terrys trailer teasing a Namco rep?
When Sakurai fights against Pac-Man during the classic run in the Terry demonstration, he says this (in English voice over, I have no clue what he actually says):

"And now PAC-MAN, from 1980. Of course, this character was made by Bandai Namco Studios, but when I talk to their team, I'll call him 'your company's character.' They always come back saying 'oh yeah, our company's character.' I often have these kinds of exchanges with them."

Some people read into this as some kind of tease, but it really doesn't seem important to me.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
When Sakurai fights against Pac-Man during the classic run in the Terry demonstration, he says this (in English voice over, I have no clue what he actually says):

"And now PAC-MAN, from 1980. Of course, this character was made by Bandai Namco Studios, but when I talk to their team, I'll call him 'your company's character.' They always come back saying 'oh yeah, our company's character.' I often have these kinds of exchanges with them."

Some people read into this as some kind of tease, but it really doesn't seem important to me.
How on earth is Namco forgetting PAC-MAN exists a hint in any way?

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

Daily reminder this is a community that once thought that two chairs teased a new character.

This is no different.

D

Deleted member

Daily reminder this is a community that once thought that two chairs teased a new character.

This is no different.
Ugh, don't remind me about the chairs...

But the PLANT in the background during the character demonstrations seems awfully suspicious. COULD IT BE A HINT?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

First party: Kirby, Xenoblade, F-Zero, Splatoon, maybe Kid Icarus just for Medusa. And Donkey Kong for Dixie
Third party: Metal Gear (Revengeance Raiden), Final Fantasy (Terra or Tifa), Sonic (Tails)

D

Deleted member

Ugh, don't remind me about the chairs...

But the PLANT in the background during the character demonstrations seems awfully suspicious. COULD IT BE A HINT?

(Mod edit: references to drug use aren't allowed)

Last edited by a moderator:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Word of advice to everyone here.

From now on, whenever a leaker says “I don’t know”, or “maybe”, no matter what their supposed credibility is, completely disregard what they are saying.

That wording heavily implies they are using a safety net.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The plant is just a plant.

That desktop monitor though...
The desktop monitor means that Sakurai is part of the PC Masterrace and plays many games at more than 60fps and 4K resolution.

He has likely preordered Half Life Alyx.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

None

Imo, the series should focus more now on adding as many new franchises as possible.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
None

Imo, the series should focus more now on adding as many new franchises as possible.
Unless Nintendo goes strictly third-party from now on, that's not the best idea.

Most of Nintendo's most popular franchises have been implemented by now, and while there are still a few left (Golden Sun, ARMS, Rhythm Heaven, etc.), we'd exhaust our opinions pretty quickly before we'd be left scraping the dusty crumbs from the bottom of the barrel.

Ideally, we should have a mix of both new and old franchises.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Unless Nintendo goes strictly third-party from now on, that's not the best idea.

Most of Nintendo's most popular franchises have been implemented by now, and while there are still a few left (Golden Sun, ARMS, Rhythm Heaven, etc.), we'd exhaust our opinions pretty quickly before we'd be left scraping the dusty crumbs from the bottom of the barrel.

Ideally, we should have a mix of both new and old franchises.
All third party from now on is the preferred option for me. Kind of like this current direction of the FP.

Should’ve specified that in the post.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Previously on Fatman:

I wish I knew, Commissioner Jordan. But surely Fatman is a myth? There's enough trouble in our city, so I also avoid the leaker scene. Some call Fatman a hero, but I say he's a no good vigilante.

What's a kid like you reading the Brotham City Times for?! That sensational garbage. Anyway, you're a good kid, Rick Drayson, so a word of advice: that Fatman is bad news. He doesn't speak much, if he's even real at all, but his word is treated like gospel. There's a certain group that hang out over at old Geno's place downtown that formed a Fatman cult of some kind. Great, like we needed more vigilantes recklessly tearing up our city. It's all crazy I tell ya! Gone are the days of open and shut cases. When, if ever was Fatman right? Never, I say. Never. Don't listen to what the papers have to say, kid. This gal's been on the force almost as long as Commissioner Jordan himself.

Later that day...

Deuce?! Did you just refer to me as Deuce, Alfredo? In my own workout studio? The man they know as world renowned Fitness Instructor Deuce Payne is a charade. Deuce Payne ceased to exist the day his parents died in that drive-thru car crash. Survivors guilt caused that orphan boy to eat his weight in comfort food thrice over. He spent years developing an extreme workout regime to take all of it off. In doing so, that boy became a man who mastered the ultimate exercise routine. Unbeknownst to the rest of the world, when sped up, said exercise is also the deadliest martial art on the planet. That man may have shed the pounds, Alfredo, but the weight of his parent's death will never go away. That is why I don the Fatsuit and fight evil one calorie at a time. I am vengeance. I am chubby. I. Am. Fatman!

He's Fatman, not Nostradamus! Your guess is as good as mine, Yang, but my guess is as good as his.

All I've seen the last few months...the last two nights...has challenged everything I ever believed in. It all comes down to one thing. Deconfirmations. She was wrong. Brotham needs the Fatman, Ellie whispered in her recorder.

And now for Part 5: To Break the Fat

Gain and The Japer are two prominent vigilantes who were once apart of Fatman's hero cult. As the two rose to power, Fatman tried to disband the group entirely and retire peacefully, while he was still head honcho. Two weeks has passed since his retirement. However, Fatman couldn't leave his old life behind. He had to go back to crime fighting. This time, he's going to do it alone... Well, with the occasional help from Alfredo and the rest of The Fat Family, but they don't count. Unfortunately for Fatman, while he was out patrolling the streets, he runs into a couple of old pals. Unbeknownst to our caked crusader, the group never disbanded.

The Japer said to Gain with a devilish grin on his face while out on patrol. Wait... Do you see that, Gainsy boy? Look over there! You can't hide from us, Fatso! And let's be real here, even a blind man can see you a mile away.

Fatman fled.

"They have me cornered", Fatman panted. You SHOULD'VE RETIRED WHEN I DID. YO- Gain caught up and lifted Fatman with ease. He interrupted him mid-sentence. Gain was furious. Carrying Fatman, he then proclaimed

Gain went right for the emotional jugular.

The drama, the betrayal... The leaker scene in general. It was all unbearable. We, the citizens of Brotham, were lost. Our Hero was broken.

These are dark times. Things will get better, right?

Tune in next time to find out, kids. Same Fat time, same Fat channel.

Probably whatever Calamitas said, but Fatman is also an on-going series written by KC Comics™ because people's quotes out of context sound like a Batman parody, as demonstrated in our latest chapter. We here at KC also have an uncanon side comic that pokes fun at the recent Smash Bros. deconfirmations. Here's some old yet ever relevant deconfirmation gags:

Also... we here at KC promise that Jenée Montana is totally not a self-insert. Probably. She's just the best side character.

Anyway, your question caught me off guard. I don't like reposting these without showing new content, so ummm... here's a special crossover chapter dedicated to Kat from Gravity Rush. This doesn't even have anything to do with our uncanon Fatman side gags (so it's more uncanon than unusual), but it hit the writers so hard (and we already had it saved in our stash), we made an exception.

Also... Welcome to the forum! Nice to meet ya.
I'm gone for a day. What the hell is all this lmao

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So, what if Ryu Hayabusa has been announced at TGA, but nobody has seen him because he's a skilled ninja?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom