• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

andree123

Smash Ace
Does anyone remember this was the day were Corrin and Bayonetta are announced as DLC fighters in ssb4 and many people were extremely mad at Corrin because he was the advertisement character.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Genuine question, do people want KOS-MOS in because they legitimately are a fan of Xenosaga?
Some do, but I suspect a large portion of her fan base knows her better from her crossover appearances or just thinks she's a cool character in general. The Xenosaga series has sold under 2 million copies total approximately and they've never been re-released in any capacity, so there's a pretty hard limit on the number of fans of the series who genuinely know and love the series. That naturally doesn't account for watching playthroughs online or any sort of less legal means of playing the games, but Xenosaga itself is much harder for people to get in to than KOS-MOS, whose appearance and abilities attract a lot of fans.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone remember this was the day were Corrin and Bayonetta are announced as DLC fighters in ssb4 and many people were extremely mad at Corrin because he was the advertisement character.
I remember all my friends and I being hyped and thinking the direct would start with a codec call...suffice to say our expectations were tempered after the Corrin reveal.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I just started laughing because I knew what was coming lmao

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I had mostly checked out of SmashBoards for Smash 4 by the time we saw that Final Smash Presentation. I never even really saw the hate for Corrin because of it. I was disappointed by Corrin slightly at the time, but they looked cool I had to admit, and Bayonetta was a super cool choice that I was really happy to have in the game even though she wasn't my ballot choice.

I never even knew how bad the fan backlash was until I came back to Smash speculation for Ultimate and looked around some of the old threads and heard people talking about it.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I can’t believe I used to not want Lloyd in this game.

He is rapidly climbing my most wanted list now.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Okay I'm probably about to introduce a controversial topic, but how would everyone feel if we got a Fortnite character in smash. Personally I don't want one, but if it does happen, I'll come to accept it eventually. I bring this up because I see some people who are supporters for it.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Okay I'm probably about to introduce a controversial topic, but how would everyone feel if we got a Fortnite character in smash. Personally I don't want one, but if it does happen, I'll come to accept it eventually. I bring this up because I see some people who are supporters for it.
I'm cool with a Fortnite stage at least.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I'd be fine with it. There's more than enough to draw from to make a fun and creative moveset.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't know how I'd feel because they clearly aren't just Googling "most popular video games" when making these fighter choices.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Here is a really hot take if anyone wants one.

I tried to play FE Three Houses. Ended up putting it down immediately after a couple of tries at the mock battle.

Sorry, but that gameplay is just simply not for me.
Have you played any Fire Emblem games prior to Three Houses?
We can argue about Sabi, but Vergeben acted really suspicious about the subject.

He strictly said “no Namco”, but still seemed to have attempted to create a safety net just in case the VGA 4chan leak was real.

Also, how in the world was Terrys trailer teasing a Namco rep?
PAC-MAN was mentioned in the Terry demonstration.
I took it as a minor hint that we WON'T be getting a Bamco character.
Genuine question, do people want KOS-MOS in because they legitimately are a fan of Xenosaga?
Aside from her crossover appearances, I haven't played any Xenosaga games.
I am also somewhat skeptical of KOS-MOS possible inclusion into Smash.
Aside from Bayonetta and arguably Joker, every third-party has some sort of legacy behind them.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I mean I didn't like the character's inclusion personally but yeah, I was one of the people acting really immaturely in that thread 4 years ago. Sucks even more because what I said is going to stay there forever for me to remember. I'm glad i've matured since then.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
As far as Fortnite goes, I'm ok with anything. It's a good game no matter what people trying to be hipsters say.
It's certainly more iconic than Fatal Fury.
Also, building and gunning would be a unique playstyle.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think Fortnite has done enough for a Smash character, and I don't doubt they wouldn't be unique.

Sadly, I think you're gonna struggle to find support. Just like Steve, a lot of people don't take it seriously because it's deemed to be "cringe" or "childish".

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I have my own issues with Fortnite that would mean a Fortnite character would really bother me. They may be able to come up with a fun moveset... but everything about the game just still comes off as so generic to me from a visual point of view.

I've tried to view it differently time and time again, but I just absolutely can't convince myself to like the idea. And I do speak unfortunately from hours upon hours of experience with the game.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Some do, but I suspect a large portion of her fan base knows her better from her crossover appearances or just thinks she's a cool character in general. The Xenosaga series has sold under 2 million copies total approximately and they've never been re-released in any capacity, so there's a pretty hard limit on the number of fans of the series who genuinely know and love the series. That naturally doesn't account for watching playthroughs online or any sort of less legal means of playing the games, but Xenosaga itself is much harder for people to get in to than KOS-MOS, whose appearance and abilities attract a lot of fans.
Well..it was partially re-made for the Nintendo DS of all systems shortly after Nintendo bought Monolith Soft from Namco.

Now if only Namco, Nintendo, and Monolith Soft could work on an HD Remaster or Remake akin to Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.

I think Fortnite has done enough for a Smash character, and I don't doubt they wouldn't be unique.

Sadly, I think you're gonna struggle to find support. Just like Steve, a lot of people don't take it seriously because it's deemed to be "cringe" or "childish".
Honestly, for me, when it comes to Steve its because the characters in Minecraft are ugly to me and their limited animations (they legit only have two animations, walking & swinging) and Sakurai would be the type to want to maintain their 'style' and thus have their animations limited most likely..I'd rather just have a Minecraft Stage..I think it would not only look nicer and it could convey Minecraft better than a character I feel.

When it comes to Fortnite, its mostly just not for me..I don't know why, but I kinda hate it and its style (and I'd rather not have its company get anything in Smash..)

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well..it was partially re-made for the Nintendo DS of all systems shortly after Nintendo bought Monolith Soft from Namco.

Now if only Namco, Nintendo, and Monolith Soft could work on an HD Remaster or Remake akin to Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.
Unfortunately, said re-release also never released outside of Japan... Xenosaga is legitimately one of the hardest series for any newcomers to get into given there's just no accessibility from a physical standpoint of playing the games.

One would hope they would do a proper HD remaster/re-release... but I do imagine that's a pretty big undertaking for a series that might not have enough pull for that sort of thing. KOS-MOS seems to have been able to find life outside of Xenosaga, but bringing Xenosaga back to the table requires a big investment in an IP that I'd imagine executives are weary of at best... I hope they do it one day though.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Okay I'm probably about to introduce a controversial topic, but how would everyone feel if we got a Fortnite character in smash.
I never played but the idea of a shooter that can build stuff is interesting, and the taunt potential is strong. The series also has a lot of skins, so chances are we'd get the Hero treatment with the costumes/characters it'd come with. The cast is super diverse, so that's neat. It's popular, so the fans will like it at least. I think whatever hate it gets is largely unwarranted for the most part.

The one fanmade Smash remix song also helped sell me on the idea.

I'm gone for a day. What the hell is all this lmao
It is my masterpiece. :secretkpop:

Nah, but your genuine response is definitely why I do what I do, ahaha. Ya made me laugh out loud for a cool minute. I know it's just a hot mess, but creating it sparks joy. And it's exactly what the serious Fatman talk sounded like to me when I first came across it. It was confusing. It had lore. For whatever reason it'd pop up randomly. And without context it was just sooo silly. I tried to recreate that feeling, but in a Batman inspired parody. Most of the dialogue are actual quotes here that I paraphrased slightly, if at all.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
A fad that will very likely fade away in 2-3 years in which its most known mode was made to piggyback off of PUBGs success (originaly was just a zombie survival game or something like that) has no place in Smash.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
because it's deemed to be "cringe" or "childish".
The fanbase being bigger than the series in the FP is the real reason why they shouldn't take it seriously. They're doing their own thing rather than filling off a checklist of what's popular.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm again going back to going all out on Master Chief as FP5. Even if I am probably wrong but I'm throwing the bone once again.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
What franchises that are currently in Smash would you like to see get more characters?
Final Fantasy.
Hell, you could make a fighting game just using the characters from that one series... Wait...

But specifically, I'd like them to take from the MMOs, followed by the spin-offs and sub-series.

Other than that, Zelda is the one I'd be most keen to see.

Star Fox and Mother aren't starving as badly, but I'd be down for those too only if the new additions were Krystal and Porky respectively.

Outside of those, there are some that I don't particularly want, but which could probably stand to have some more reps.
F-Zero, Wario, and Punchout! specifically (though I'd be pretty apathetic outside of a few particular choices).

It's certainly more iconic than Fatal Fury.
:-/

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

good thing the people who don’t take Steve seriously are a minority.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Wait a minute
What franchises that are currently in Smash would you like to see get more characters?

I'm gonna ignore the obvious choices (Zelda, Kirby, etc.) and say that I'd really like to see Splatoon and Sonic get more characters. Splatoon because it's been insanely successful, and it's really unique from other Nintendo franchises. Sonic because I feel like it's the second most iconic third-party franchise (only behind Pac-Man) on the roster. Plus, it has several decent options to choose from (Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Eggman).
I'd to see Star Fox get some reps like Leon, Phanter, more importantly Krystal.

Seeing more Sonic reps would be a plus: Shadow, Tails, Blaze the Cat.

And Fire Emblem just so I can have Lyn, and Fjorm as a character.

D

Deleted member

I am too, but like I said, KOS-MOS is currently sticking out like a sore thumb since she's literally the ONLY character Sabi and Vergeben REFUSE to deconfirm.
Also, lesser proof, but Sakurai seemed to be teasing another Bandai-Namco character in Terry's release trailer.
Well thing is I don’t think we should take their siLence on her to seriously and they’re really not refusing because
1.sabi said he’s done with deconfirmations after Sony and said that he didn’t press hard on kos when talking bout stuff So it wasent really ignored https://twitter.com/new_wabisabi/status/1204924036314066944?s=21
And compared to verges list sabis is small so it really dosent Mean much
2.verges source may be unsure about her but he knows she’s namco
3.sabi said that The fighter is from verges old deconfirm list but said that the ones that aren’t listed are not 5
I’m not against kos-mos or anything I’m just saying they Aren’t refusing and there really are no sore thumbs being hold. who knows? Maybe she’ll end in the limbo one day

and that namco thing wasent a hint. Just a joke

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I'd be cool with Fortnite in Smash (especially over Overwatch). I think it would be fine to appeal to the a younger crowd with something like that. Also...
A bit late on this, I know, but...
Anyways, what did I miss?

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Any opinion on the Type-0 sub-series?
That's actually the one I'm probably least familiar with, outside of some of the mobile games.

The setting does seem interesting, and I did want a card-based character (though Ace isn't exactly what I was thinking of for the most part), so there's potential there.

Tactics and Crystal Chronicles were the two main things I had in mind (though World of Final Fantasy could be pretty awesome), but I'm open to the other stuff as well.

Hell, they can bring Type-0 HD to Switch while they're at it.

Being more objective, while he wouldn't be my favourite choice, the best option in terms of coverage is Gilgamesh.
You'd cover the traditional games, one of the MMOs, several spin-offs, the mobile games, etc. with one character.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Anyone else still find it incredibly suspicious Banjo didn’t get any Microsoft Mii Costumes? Especially with how lenient Microsoft was, and all other characters got costumes from their companies?

Was this done to future proof Master Chief or Steve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom