• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Will it be a december Direct for the next amiibo wave, a January Direct, or an EVO Japan reveal? This is interesting.
Betting on a January direct that reveals AND shadowdrops Fighter 5 with a Sakurai presentation, most likely revealing Fighter 6 as well and explaining how post-pass DLC will work.
  • DLC seems to be pretty ahead of schedule, both Hero and Banjo were in pretty playable states at E3 and had their presentations recorded about that time as well, Terry was in a pretty much finished state at the start of October when Sakurai recorded and it took them about a month to fully finish the video and get it translated, also probably just to space out the DLC. I HIGHLY doubt we are waiting until February until Fighter 5
  • Every Sakurai presentation so far has released relatively close to a Smash amiibo wave, which he shows off, and Richter and Dark Samus are set to release on January 17th, and they will likely reveal the amiibo for some of the DLC characters as well.
  • After how successful the Fighter's Pass as been, I can't see Nintendo suddenly shaking things up with it, and with Sakurai's whole "don't buy this unless you are sure of it's value" thing, if they do do a Fighter Pass 2 then I highly doubt they won't show the first character with it like last time. The only reason they didn't was because they straight up hadn't even started working on any DLC at that time aside from planning, and if they are ahead of schedule as I believe, then theres no way they don't have a large amount of work done on #6.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I wonder how many people here who go around declaring "Vergeben can't be trusted! His entire kill list has got to be fake! All these characters are 100% still on the table!" will backpedal themselves when it turns out that the list was right after all, and we do get a more "low-key" character.

When’s EVO Japan?
January 24th, I think.

D

Deleted member

With no reveal appearing at the Game Awards, I wonder how Jon Here must've felt when Pokemon Dash wasn't shown off at the Game Awards.

There's already people hopping off the speculation ride because of yesterday, but I'll still be around to at least watch where **** takes us next, whether if it's the same conversations over and over again or something out of nowhere that takes us when we least expect it.

SKX31

Smash Master
Will it be a december Direct for the next amiibo wave, a January Direct, or an EVO Japan reveal? This is interesting.
Could see any of those, but leaning towards a January Direct if only because that might be where Nintendo's got the most to show.

January 24th, I think.
That's more than enough space for a Jaunary Direct, so EVO Japan looks to be one of the latest possible chances to show off FP5.

Also, got some China news / updates comin':

Both MK8DX and Mario Odyssey have been fully approved and set to launch there in the coming weeks. Crafted World also got its copyright license - one of the major steps towards full approval (yeah, the governments' approval system is onerous and at times asinine. On purpose.). I'm kind of assuming that they released the Chinese Switch with only one game (NSMBU) since it can play imported cartridges just fine, meaning it has practically an entire library already.

Chinese commenters have been mostly-to-overwhelmingly positive. One of the two online storefronts (JD.com) have 8000 reviews, of which 96 % are positive to the Switch. Even if one assume the worst case scenario with the reviews it's still recieved very well. The Switch's stability, smoothness and gameplay functionality have been routinely praised, while the lack of games is a major sticking point (it's a main reason for many to hold off for now). People who have imported Switches seem to be loud, but even if a lot of them lean towards not buying the Chinese Switches many others will do or have done so for family / friends.

I'm becoming more sure that the Switch (and Smash) will be doing pretty great there relatively speaking, although I'm not gonna call it 100 % yet. Not until some more hard data comes through.

Also, missed this previously:

Unless an update adds those two features, well...

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Everyone is expecting a reveal in January because the fighters pass is gonna end in February. There is a good chance we could get a reveal in December and the character could be released in January. The deadline of Feb 2020 was only that; a deadline. They said that it would be finished BY then. It could still happen BEFORE then.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Everyone is expecting a reveal in January because the fighters pass is gonna end in February. There is a good chance we could get a reveal in December and the character could be released in January. The deadline of Feb 2020 was only that; a deadline. They said that it would be finished BY then. It could still happen BEFORE then.
I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to stubbornly adhere to the february deadline even if they happened to be ahead with work.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I wonder how many people here who go around declaring "Vergeben can't be trusted! His entire kill list has got to be fake! All these characters are 100% still on the table!" will backpedal themselves when it turns out that the list was right after all, and we do get a more "low-key" character.

January 24th, I think.
It's not so much Verge can't be trusted that he isn't infallible IMO. He's proven that he does have his sources time and time again but it doesn't mean they'll be right 100% of the time. Hence, taking things with a "grain of salt".

I think the deconfirm list is mostly legit but who's to say? I wouldn't actively bet against it at least.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ah, the thread's back.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I've been waiting for this s*** to open all goddamn day. New info about Nier. Let's talk about it. Put on your tinfoil hats, ladies and gents. It is time to speculate.

So, Nier series producer and SquareEnix board member Yosuke Saito announced a Christmas Niconico livestream/interview he is hosting featuring Masahiro Sakurai, Nier director Yoko Taro, Square-Enix's Takashi Anzai, PlatinumGames' Hideki Kamiya, and former Square-Enix employee Jin Fujisawa, who's worked on Dragon Quest. It's a gathering of developers born in the 1970s, which reminds me of the recent 1980s celebration in Super Smash Bros. They grew with those games; it is what inspired them.

This may be nothing more than a series of coincidences and circumstantial evidence, but all but 2 of those f***ers in that interview are involved with Nier Automata in some capacity. The exception is Masahiro Sakurai and Jin, who's involved with Dragon Quest. Conversely, every single participant except for Nier's Yoko Taro is involved with Super Smash Bros.

If it amounts to nothing, they still have Masahiro Sakurai cornered. lmao The timing is weird, too. This is the same month that Nier announced its 10th anniversary celebration almost 5 months in advance. Almost all of us are anticipating a Smash announcement this month as well.

Thanks for coming to my Gale talk.
Just chiming in to let ya know that you are not yelling into the void, Gale. I mean... a few games devs had a Smash tournament and we talked about it for days. This is pretty big news, IMO. It lowkey confirmed what I've been saying all along: something is definitely going on behind the scenes. Let's recap:

-Square Enix (the publishers), PlatinumGames (the developers), and Namco Bandai (developers of Soul Calibur - a game which 2B starred in - that also had a hand in Smash 4 and Ultimate's development) all have playable reps in Smash and have a pretty healthy relationship with Nintendo.

-Nier had a cancelled 'definitive edition' style game that was originally going to be on the PS Vita (cancelled due to Dragon Quest out prioritizing it, coincidentally enough). Considering some of the recent Switch ports we've gotten lately, I can definitely imagine it coming out on the Switch one day. We'd then have an exclusive on our hands. Seriously, Trails of Cold Steel is coming to Switch now; that was a PC/Sony exclusive for years and it is way more niche. The company considers the port a good business decision; Square probably will as well, if they already haven't.

Good points so far, Kat, but you're still grasping at straws. Oh, really? The thick plotens:

-Aside from Nier Automata selling over 4 million copies (and 2B having several guest cameos outside of it), there is still large fan demand for a Switch port. Additionally, the game's director, lead designer, and producer have all stated that they'd love to make it happen, but that ultimately the decision is up to SquareEnix. Which leads me to my next point:

- A SquareEnix board member/Dragon Quest/Nier producer asked Sakurai out for dinner, and also asked him to meet with Yoko Taro (Nier's writer/director). Sakurai is a fan of Yoko Taro and vice versa; Sakurai's love for Nier/Drakengard is no secret. It could be respected colleagues just hanging out, but it could also be business related. If 2B was in Smash, she could also promote theoretical Switch ports, which seem more likely by the minute. There's a 10 year anniversary coming up. There's a special announcement.

Now here we are today. Maybe that aforementioned meeting is what led to this livestream. But does the livestream mean anything? We don't know yet. But it's just a bunch of prolific game devs who all just so happen to have Smash characters except for Yoko Taro. With the exception of Sakurai himself, everybody in that interview is involved with the two companies (Square Enix and PlatinumGames) that developed and published Nier Automata. Okay...

And if we ignore all of that, 2B still has a lot going for her, i.e. sales, popularity, star power, comes from a critically acclaimed series, etc.

If she isn't fighter #5, I can imagine her kicking off season 2 like Joker did for season 1. She also might be announced shortly after fighter #5 in a dual reveal.

Anyway, if it nothing happens, Yoko Taro, Sakurai, and Kamiya all on-air at the same time is a treat in and of itself. I can't wait for the livestream.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
So KOS-MOS is truly disconfirmed? Or is she like Geno/Doomguy where it's still possible that she's actually in due to a lack of evidence suggesting otherwise?

Apparently Verge and Sabi's source still didn't say anything about whether she's out or not, plus FP5 not being shown at VGA kinda makes me think the character is a little more on the obscure side.

I heard about the KOS-MOS mod video though, that's really sad :/

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Who else is waiting for the day that the ‘but *leaker* disconfirmed them’ gets buried with the ‘they aren’t a Nintendo character’ argument

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Brought this over as I'm shocked people seem to think the Cacomallow thing is still 100% legit
Flashback to just a few hours ago, when a guy tried to convince me that actually, the fact that Nintendo hasn't deleted any uploads of this mellow cocoa video on YouTube means that they're clearly playing a four dimensional chess board game Fire Emblem and don't to confirm it by deleting it.

You know, just like how they didn't want to confirm the thin Christmas Shrek leak by deleting videos of that banner.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Where I’m at for most possible and this presents for both FP5 or/and post pass character

Doomguy
  1. Character that brought the origin of FPS games
  2. Company talked to Nintendo about smash
  3. Probably did well in the ballot (Nintendo aware of him)
  4. Can be toned down enough
  5. And ofcoarse cacomallow leak still not proven fake (nor real)
  6. And the color theory works with him
Crash
  1. Definatly being pushed to come back from the grave
  2. Probably the most likely post pass character due to advertising from company
  3. Definatly in top 10 most wanted characters
  4. Crash vs :ultmario: vs :ultsonic: is another dream fight since all 3 were rivals back in the day (video game popularity wise)
  5. Clearly the color theory is the biggest with crash
  6. Worldwide popular
Master chief (note he will not hurt doomguy chances if he gets in before him)
  1. The halo collection is rumored for the switch so maybe smash as well
  2. Ben requested since brawl
  3. Ridley proved western favored characters can get in over worldwide and eastern wanted
Ryu hayabusa
  1. He’s the final nes era character who’s not I’n smash bros
  2. Big anniversary (even though passed already)
  3. Some creditable sources are pointing toward him for a package (post pass Morley)
  4. Another company unrepresented in smash
Geno
  1. Probably the most requested character to smash to this day and Sakurai himself is one of them
  2. His mii costume is still absent to this day
  3. The same costume leak same as doomguy still yet to be proven fake supports him (mallow a costume but not him)
  4. The ballot probably brought a impression
  5. K. Rool and banjo both prove irrelevant characters can get in smash bros as playable
  6. If spirits do infact confirm geno is probably the one and only spirit that can prove that theory wrong that spirits deconfirm (upgraded status) (also note mewtwo and Lucas were trophy’s in smash 4 but still made playable later)
Heihachi
  1. Heihachi mii costume still missing especially relevant reason since terry’s pack would be the place for it
  2. Highly considered for smash 4 dlc but left back for problems from programming problems Sakurai which might be resolvable problems today
  3. Tekken right up there with street fighter of popularity

Llyod
  1. Eastern wanted and more known in west than other eastern characters
  2. There’s a icon made but yet to be used in anything could easily be a smash icon
  3. Bamco is over due for a new character
  4. The company thanks nintendo for something a theory is thank you for putting “name” in smash
  5. Probably most requested bamco character
Arle Nadja (kudos to papagenos papagenos for pointing this character out)
  1. Fits the color theory
  2. There’s a daisy theory in the anniversary picture she’s a place holder since all the dlc pack characters are in it plus Mario and this character could do the pose and be those colors
  3. We’re yet to have a puzzle rep it’s still only doctor Mario right now and Tetris brick ain’t happening
  4. Her game is being brought into the west a little bit more
  5. Left field pick catergory characater just like :ultwiifittrainer::ultpiranha::ultrob::ultduckhunt:and :ultmarth:(fire emblem was barely know during melee and now in most popular series catergory today)
  6. Sakurai doesn’t just pick only known characters he picks characters if they are fun enough she fits that just like the 5 above I mentioned
Cuphead
  1. It’s now on the switch so Nintendo related now heck heard a few exclusives from regular version
  2. The creator very quickly revealed he wants cuphead in smash after the announcement
  3. Easily can get a move set implemented Phoenix wright for example in ultimate marvel vs capcom 3
  4. Probably now a big fan request ever since the switch
Capcom rep
Just simple we’re yet to get are capcom rep that’s dlc (it’s ken we got but he’s only an echo and that’s not considered a true character to people) but from all probably Phoenix Wright and marvel vs capcom 3 deluxe edition proved he can get a move set might be most requested of the bunch of capcom reps Dante is the other one

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Still working on my full Frogger moveset. Ho(p)ping to share it here when it's done.
How did ya all enjoy your TGAs?!

I said good DAY sir!
Really enjoyed them actually. Lots of my picks got picked for their categories.

D

Deleted member

Just chiming in to let ya know that you are not yelling into the void, Gale. I mean... a few games devs had a Smash tournament and we talked about it for days. This is pretty big news, IMO. It lowkey confirmed what I've been saying all along: something is definitely going on behind the scenes. Let's recap:

-Square Enix (the publishers), PlatinumGames (the developers), and Namco Bandai (developers of Soul Calibur - a game which 2B starred in - that also had a hand in Smash 4 and Ultimate's development) all have playable reps in Smash and have a pretty healthy relationship with Nintendo.

-Nier had a cancelled 'definitive edition' style game that was originally going to be on the PS Vita (cancelled due to Dragon Quest out prioritizing it, coincidentally enough). Considering some of the recent Switch ports we've gotten lately, I can definitely imagine it coming out on the Switch one day. We'd then have an exclusive on our hands. Seriously, Trails of Cold Steel is coming to Switch now; that was a PC/Sony exclusive for years and it is way more niche. The company considers the port a good business decision; Square probably will as well, if they already haven't.

Good points so far, Kat, but you're still grasping at straws. Oh, really? The thick plotens:

-Aside from Nier Automata selling over 4 million copies (and 2B having several guest cameos outside of it), there is still large fan demand for a Switch port. Additionally, the game's director, lead designer, and producer have all stated that they'd love to make it happen, but that ultimately the decision is up to SquareEnix. Which leads me to my next point:

- A SquareEnix board member/Dragon Quest/Nier producer asked Sakurai out for dinner, and also asked him to meet with Yoko Taro (Nier's writer/director). Sakurai is a fan of Yoko Taro and vice versa; Sakurai's love for Nier/Drakengard is no secret. It could be respected colleagues just hanging out, but it could also be business related. If 2B was in Smash, she could also promote theoretical Switch ports, which seem more likely by the minute. There's a 10 year anniversary coming up. There's a special announcement.

Now here we are today. Maybe that aforementioned meeting is what led to this livestream. But does the livestream mean anything? We don't know yet. But it's just a bunch of prolific game devs who all just so happen to have Smash characters except for Yoko Taro. With the exception of Sakurai himself, everybody in that interview is involved with the two companies (Square Enix and PlatinumGames) that developed and published Nier Automata. Okay...

And if we ignore all of that, 2B still has a lot going for her, i.e. sales, popularity, star power, comes from a critically acclaimed series, etc.

If she isn't fighter #5, I can imagine her kicking off season 2 like Joker did for season 1. She also might be announced shortly after fighter #5 in a dual reveal.

Anyway, if it nothing happens, Yoko Taro, Sakurai, and Kamiya all on-air at the same time is a treat in and of itself. I can't wait for the livestream.
This isn't really related to your argument. Just here to say I finally purchased Nier Automato and am looking forward to seeing what people see in this game and 2B.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
2B is the kind of character that I'd really like to see, she's not like a "got to have" kind of character for me....but I have played Nier Automata. (still need to finish it)

The game has great music, somehow I often find myself more excited for the potential music than the character itself!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I wonder if Sekiro has a shot in the future.

The Souls games always had the "main character is a CAC with a random appearance" problem. But Sekiro is a specific character, with a consistent look, and who has WAY more vertical mobility than any Souls character.

Sakurai: "Ah. Now that Smash Bros Ultimate is finished developing, I can finally retire from this mortal coil and enjoy the fruits of my labor."
Nintendo: "Okay, but the fans want a Fire Emblem fighter."
Sakurai: "****."
Don't spread lies about the fans like that!

I'm leaving until next direct, feel the thread is going to go square one and repeat discussions again.
I don't think that'll happen...

So! It's probably Ryu Hayabusa, right guys?!

Question is should we throw away the deconfirm list now?
I never accepted it to begin with.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord

-Square Enix (the publishers), PlatinumGames (the developers), and Namco Bandai (developers of Soul Calibur - a game which she starred in - that also had a hand in Smash 4 and Ultimate's development) all have playable reps in Smash and have a pretty healthy relationship with Nintendo.

- A SquareEnix board member/Dragon Quest/Nier producer asked Sakurai out for dinner, and also asked him to meet with Yoko Taro (Nier's writer/director). Sakurai is a fan of Yoko Taro and vice versa; Sakurai's love for Nier/Drakengard is no secret. It could be respected colleagues just hanging out, but it could also be business related. If 2B was in Smash, she could also promote theoretical Switch ports, which seem more likely by the minute.

And if we ignore all of that, 2B still has a lot going for her i.e. sales, popularity, star power, comes from a critically acclaimed series, etc.

If she isn't fighter #5, I can imagine her kicking off season 2 like Joker did for season 1. She might be announced shortly after fighter #5 in a dual reveal.

I don't think that we're going to see anything. Not everything Sakurai is personally involved with/likes will get in as DLC; and I doubt Nintendo would want to announce 2B in a JP exclusive live stream, that they have 0 control over. The last time we had a character announced in a JP only event was back in Smash 4 when Shulk was revealed (but Shulk made decent sense to reveal in an exclusive direct comparatively to 2B).

Am I saying that 2B has 0 shot of getting in. No. She comes from a highly acclaimed game that has sold well. Her biggest rivals are Sora and Geno, who both have their own issues with getting in Smash (Sora's with Disney, Geno with Square Enix). However, people need to stop looking at things that Sakurai talks about as a hint of that thing being in Smash. The live stream is just that, a live stream starring the creator and popular fans of the series celebrating it's 10th anniversary.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

I said good DAY sir!
My take even though similar

Iran’s = nintendo p/VGA
Green fish = people who expected foghter 5 to be revealed

But anyway not everything was bad by far the muppets part takes the cake as best part I want that as actually dlc in untitled goose even though it was a parody

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Who else is waiting for the day that the ‘but *leaker* disconfirmed them’ gets buried with the ‘they aren’t a Nintendo character’ argument
That's not going to happen. Individual leakers with track records of consistently being wrong will eventually be (mostly) ignored, but just because leaker x has false information doesn't inherently mean leaker y does, and solely on that basis will people always entertain leaks of dubious validity.

I said good DAY sir!
I had about 80% of it muted and I get the feeling I didn't miss much.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
But this was by far the best part

I want this a reality even though it’s nothing more than a parody

Clearly proves the muppet creators are in love with the untitled goose game

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I don't think that we're going to see anything. Not everything Sakurai is personally involved with/likes will get in as DLC; and I doubt Nintendo would want to announce 2B in a JP exclusive live stream, that they have 0 control over. The last time we had a character announced in a JP only event was back in Smash 4 when Shulk was revealed (but Shulk made decent sense to reveal in an exclusive direct comparatively to 2B).

Am I saying that 2B has 0 shot of getting in. No. She comes from a highly acclaimed game that has sold well. Her biggest rivals are Sora and Geno, who both have their own issues with getting in Smash (Sora's with Disney, Geno with Square Enix). However, people need to stop looking at things that Sakurai talks about as a hint of that thing being in Smash. The live stream is just that, a live stream starring the creator and popular fans of the series celebrating it's 10th anniversary.
We have 10 days before the livestream; they can drop a reveal before that. I mean... quite a few people here expected a reveal yesterday.

The event can also hint at an announcement at a later date. Anyways, I agree that everything Sakurai says/does doesn't always lead to Smash. However, this is a topic about newcomer speculation, and there's no doubt that that event, especially combined with past actions/statements with all parties involved, gives us a lot to speculate about. Negotiations, communication, etc. would be super easy. They're all colleagues (from the same country and born in the same decade) who respect one another's life work, with a history of Smash and/or Bandai Namco collaborations.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh a found out something

Turns out fat man had to editied incorrect back from the SNK costumes

They are not costumes they were spirits he was suppose to say spirits all of long it was clarification and proved not backpeddling

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Whew after coming back from The Game Awards, I think Jon from GameXplain says it best. The Game Awards made all the world premieres seem unimportant. Even though they had big things like the Xbox Series X and a first look at PlayStation 5 games, something about the atmosphere and the way they were presented didn’t make these announcements give the impact they should’ve made.

But instead they to put in effort to a low effort licensing game.

As for Smash, let’s say I wasn’t surprised. I’ve posted it before, but Joker being revealed at the Game Awards was a special occasion because Smash was releasing during the event. I’m more or less predicting Fighter 5 to be revealed in a Smash Direct mid - December or in a January Direct, because we don’t really know a lot for the upcoming year and I’m pretty sure most people here know that January seems like a time to kick off 2020 for Nintendo.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

Eh, I don't think "rivals" for getting into Smash exist. The very notion presumes that we know what Sakurai's thinking. Agreed that a reveal seems unlikely, though.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I was working on some Kid Icarus/Smash model throughout the Game Awards, so my time wasn't completely wasted.
At least I got Bravely Default II.
1576284399083.png

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Considering the rather long wait between the reveal of Terry and the reveal of fighter #5 I wouldn't be surprised if we get a double reveal of sorts in the next Direct or something. I've mentioned it before but now that there still hasn't been an announcement I'm wondering if they have more to show us rather than just a single fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom