• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I mean i'd be down for either Lloyd or Yuri but I can't deny I much prefer Lloyd. Dual blades is helluva badass and i'd love to see how Sakurai goes about his moveset.

Also, I like his moveset in SSF2 as well so that's an added bonus.
People oversell the dual-wielding aspect of Lloyd way too hard. He uses a single sword for like 90% of his attacks; and the other sword is just there for show. That said, the elemental swords he had would be pretty cool. Sakurai could choose to add in some extra flair, but he usually enjoys following source materail religiously.

Yuri brings in a far better overlimit system compared to Lloyd (ToS overlimit was just super armor for a couple seconds, while ToV improved attacks and allowed you to chain into special attacks).

So they both have their own advantages, but I 100% disagree with people stating that since they're both sword wielders they can't be unique.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I doubt it'll happen, but it's be cool if the DLC lasted long enough for a BotW 2 character to be considered.

Kinda stinks that even the Ultimate Smash game might not be capable of giving us another unique Zelda rep.
It would be cool for something like that, though to be honest I really think the only reason that we haven't gotten a new Zelda character is because they have all their bases covered.

Even if Square forgets about TWEWY/Neku, Nomura will just put Neku in KH4.
What a madlad.
If Sora ever gets into Smash, I'm honestly hoping we get the KH remix for Calling in his music pack.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I doubt it'll happen, but it's be cool if the DLC lasted long enough for a BotW 2 character to be considered.

Kinda stinks that even the Ultimate Smash game might not be capable of giving us another unique Zelda rep.
I'd generally rather a character that's got more history than 'the new hotness', Zelda or no.
So I'd look to the other games far before BotW2.

Droodle

Smash Lord
It would be cool for something like that, though to be honest I really think the only reason that we haven't gotten a new Zelda character is because they have all their bases covered.

If Sora ever gets into Smash, I'm honestly hoping we get the KH remix for Calling in his music pack.
Plot twist, Sora and Neku both get confirmed in the same direct.

D

Deleted member

I want Sora largely for Simple and Clean and the large amount of stage potential.
There is stage potential, but I've got a strong feeling that if KH were in, the stage would just be similar to the Banjo or Dragonquest stage. The stage itself doesn't change too much while the background just changes between different areas from the game (different Disney worlds or Traverse town and non-Disney places) for KH.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Wait, how in the hell did the Geno thread get locked yet again in less than 24 hours. I saw what went down last night from afar and it made sense, but seeing it locked again surprises me considering (again, this is a just a cursory glance at things) it seemed like things were doing alright.

Like, I may have largely exited the thread, but I do hope they're allowed to keep the thread as it does act as a space for Geno fans to gather and talk. I know that Mods and even Administrators have come down pretty hard on this recently, a great deal of it deserved in the face of things spiraling out of control with lots of outside drama being imported on to the site through that thread... but as a former longtime poster I really do think that space should continue to exist and that in many ways it is needed as a bastion for those fans who otherwise maybe don't have a lot of places they feel comfortable talking because of the character they support (which I know for some people, is the only character they support) and that's how a lot of the off topic stuff got brought up because of that seemingly "safe space" type situation.

Look, I'm not trying to challenge any authority here by bringing this stuff up. I just hope that moderators are willing to examine the thread and see why things have happened in the way they did and not be too harsh on a community that has a lot of good genuine people who love being a part of it and feel the most comfortable being there. My only question here is, genuinely, why is off topic conversation in a character support thread such an issue? All character support threads are mini-communities in their own right with (mostly) like minded people looking to talk, often about a character. I get that it sometimes allows for extra hostility and nastiness when things go sideways and that can be hard to control, but it just seems awfully harsh to police that so heavily when it tends to happen pretty much everywhere in character support from what I've seen (and you can really only talk about the same stuff so many times).

If I'm crossing a line here, please let me know and I'll drop it, but I do think it might do some good for the community and affiliated parties to more civilly take a step back and figure some things out since a lot of stuff has been problematic for a while now.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I see we are being let back in.
Here's my question:
How did you deal with the disappointment that was TGA?
For me, listening to the ost of Doom 2016 worked surprisingly well.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Wait, how in the hell did the Geno thread get locked yet again in less than 24 hours. I saw what went down last night from afar and it made sense, but seeing it locked again surprises me considering (again, this is a just a cursory glance at things) it seemed like things were doing alright.

Like, I may have largely exited the thread, but I do hope they're allowed to keep the thread as it does act as a space for Geno fans to gather and talk. I know that Mods and even Administrators have come down pretty hard on this recently, a great deal of it deserved in the face of things spiraling out of control with lots of outside drama being imported on to the site through that thread... but as a former longtime poster I really do think that space should continue to exist and that in many ways it is needed as a bastion for those fans who otherwise maybe don't have a lot of places they feel comfortable talking because of the character they support (which I know for some people, is the only character they support) and that's how a lot of the off topic stuff got brought up because of that seemingly "safe space" type situation.

Look, I'm not trying to challenge any authority here by bringing this stuff up. I just hope that moderators are willing to examine the thread and see why things have happened in the way they did and not be too harsh on a community that has a lot of good genuine people who love being a part of it and feel the most comfortable being there. My only question here is, genuinely, why is off topic conversation in a character support thread such an issue? All character support threads are mini-communities in their own right with (mostly) like minded people looking to talk, often about a character. I get that it sometimes allows for extra hostility and nastiness when things go sideways and that can be hard to control, but it just seems awfully harsh to police that so heavily when it tends to happen pretty much everywhere in character support from what I've seen (and you can really only talk about the same stuff so many times).

If I'm crossing a line here, please let me know and I'll drop it, but I do think it might do some good for the community and affiliated parties to more civilly take a step back and figure some things out since a lot of stuff has been problematic for a while now.
They said they locked it to sort out the reports, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with any new drama.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Here's my question:
I went in with few expectations and a couple of hopes, walked away with a couple of surprises and went to bed. I definitely wanted to see a newcomer trailer, but the air just didn't feel right and I didn't really expect it unless something crazy like Sora was genuinely going to happen.

They said they locked it to sort out the reports, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with any new drama.
I saw that, I just wasn't sure if it was new reports or just carried over old drama. Still, I see some writing on the wall for future issues and this feels, quite frankly, unfortunately reminiscent of the Ridley Smash 4 days, so I just don't want to see it get that bad with regards to Geno and the thread. That was a ****ty time to be a fan of a character who largely couldn't even get brought up...

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
People oversell the dual-wielding aspect of Lloyd way too hard. He uses a single sword for like 90% of his attacks; and the other sword is just there for show. That said, the elemental swords he had would be pretty cool. Sakurai could choose to add in some extra flair, but he usually enjoys following source materail religiously.

Yuri brings in a far better overlimit system compared to Lloyd (ToS overlimit was just super armor for a couple seconds, while ToV improved attacks and allowed you to chain into special attacks).

So they both have their own advantages, but I 100% disagree with people stating that since they're both sword wielders they can't be unique.
plus, doesnt Yuri do flips and **** when he uses his moves? And throw his sword around?

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Here's my question:
Disappointment?

Were y'all not satisfied with Muppets x Goose Game alone?

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Flaming/targeting specific users
wait, what happend this time?
Everyone was having decent discussions about Geno but then that Lesley chick who always posts here came in and wrote a trolling/flaming post.

everyone asked her to leave and reported her to the mods. But because the smashboards mods suck Donkey Kong ass, they did nothing and locked the thread.

They followed the rules minus her and she got the thread locked even though she was trolling. Kinda sad.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I want Sora largely for Simple and Clean and the large amount of stage potential.
If we do get Sora, no way in hell are we getting Simple and Clean or any other vocal track in Smash.

Utada seems to want to distance herself from KH whenever she can, and she's shown in the past that she's likely not the easiest artist to work with.

Case and point, the KH concert. When I went there, there was a fantastic orchestral cover of Simple and Clean and Passion. I got the soundtrack for the concert. Both of them were not on the album. Same goes for Face My Fears and Don't Think Twice, I'd imagine, I missed world of Tres.

Basically they'd have to go a significant extra mile for the rights to it, and I don't see that happening. I'd imagine Yoko would play plenty nice with her own songs, though, since she and Sakurai are quite close.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

They said that they are locking it for now to deal with all the reports. I guess they weren't aware of all the reports and so they locked it again to make sure they take care of every report before the conversations continue.

I'm not a mod though, so any of them can add onto this or debunk it.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I don't think that we are getting a reveal at EVO Japan unless FP5 is from a traditional fighting game.
Thats a weird way to spell Morrigan hehehe...

I came up with a stupid idea: Assist Trophy DLC (like, it would probably just come bundled with actual fighters)

Tetris Blocks: Fall from the sky and crush people when summoned

Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan: Appear and cheer on the character that summoned them. This gives the summoner temporary stat boosts and stuff

Rambi: Runs people over

King Hippo: Slowly lumbers around. Packs a nasty punch if he nails someone though

Polar Bear: Jumps, causing the screen to go up, which raises the bottom blast zone

Stanley the Bugman: Sprays people with his bugspray

8-bit Donkey Kong: throws barrels around

also bring back some old assist trophies like Helirin and Ray

and why this is stupid? although for completionism this ones should come as a free update IMO.. or tied to a non fighter content pack with enough pack to justify itself (stage, or music?)

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Should I not trust fatman?
That's up to you to decide man, even he's made it pretty clear that he doesn't care whether people believe him or not, he just posts whatever he hears from people. He could easily be wrong about everything he posts, so just take him with a massive grain of salt even if you do believe him.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Disappointment?

Were y'all not satisfied with Muppets x Goose Game alone?
That was one of the best (if not only) moments of the entire show.
The ending overwhelmed all the good moments for me.
It didn't helped that I had a exam that morning.
I would rather put that behind me.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Case and point, the KH concert. When I went there, there was a fantastic orchestral cover of Simple and Clean and Passion. I got the soundtrack for the concert. Both of them were not on the album. Same goes for Face My Fears and Don't Think Twice, I'd imagine, I missed world of Tres.
I might be mistaken, but IIRC, the Distant Worlds albums that are put out each year don't necessarily reflect the music that was performed at the concert that year (which itself can change between venues). They just have a varied assortment of songs that have been played over the years.

Is it possible the KH concerts are simply handled similarly?

D

Deleted member

Feel free to trust him. But as far as I know he hasn't gotten anything big right for the longest time.

Just don't be surprised that people don't like him on the Newcomer thread.
That's up to you to decide man, even he's made it pretty clear that he doesn't care whether people believe him or not, he just posts whatever he hears from people. He could easily be wrong about everything he posts, so just take him with a massive grain of salt even if you do believe him.
I don’t think I should anymore if you say he gets stuff wrong all the time then I won’t

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I might be mistaken, but IIRC, the Distant Worlds albums that are put out each year don't necessarily reflect the music that was performed at the concert that year (which itself can change between venues). They just have a varied assortment of songs that have been played over the years.

Is it possible the KH concerts are simply handled similarly?
Not sure, I just know that every other song from the album was at the concert for me outside of those two.

I went to one of the very first ones, though, so maybe things changed

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I think it's cool to have theories. It's just when people start taking those theories as fact with really nothing to back it up is when it becomes a problem. Or when drama soon follows from it.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I’m really not happy that we’re probably going the entirety of 2019 without knowing who all of the character in the Fighter Pass are. It’s been over a year since the Pass was up for purchase & we found out who the first character was.

They better reveal some info about the DLC beyond the FP to make it up to us.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I don't think Simple and Clean would be included in the song list, out of all the KH songs I'd imagine that's the one that's the most expensive to license out.

plus, doesnt Yuri do flips and **** when he uses his moves? And throw his sword around?
He does do fancy sword ****, throwing it around as he attacks.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't think that we are getting a reveal at EVO Japan unless FP5 is from a traditional fighting game.
Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, and K. Rool are my favorite fighting game characters.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
They said that they are locking it for now to deal with all the reports. I guess they weren't aware of all the reports and so they locked it again to make sure they take care of every report before the conversations continue.

I'm not a mod though, so any of them can add onto this or debunk it.
There were a ton of reports from the Geno thread alone in less than an hour. There's some confusion over what is or isn't allowed, but that's hopefully cleared up here.

Last edited:

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
Next week is our best bet for a Smash Direct for this month, otherwise we’ll have to wait until January for more info..... maybe.... hopefully.... plz

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I don't think Simple and Clean would be included in the song list, out of all the KH songs I'd imagine that's the one that's the most expensive to license out.

He does do fancy sword ****, throwing it around as he attacks.
If we get KH music I don't think were getting anything from Utada Hikaru that'd be the pipe dream

Droodle

Smash Lord
Besides, if Yuri does get in over Lloyd. I have the right to be smug about both here and on the Geno thread.

Because that's what this is about, bragging rights.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'd generally rather a character that's got more history than 'the new hotness', Zelda or no.
So I'd look to the other games far before BotW2.
I see what you're saying, but I disagree. Just because a character is new doesn't mean they don't have great moveset potential or won't have a notable history later on. Keep in mind that Rosalina had only appeared in four games when Sakurai decided to add her over characters like Daisy, Waluigi, and Bowser Jr. Then there's Greninja, who ended up being a lucky guess whose popularity took off shortly after his reveal.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

True that. As someone who grew up in the GCN era, I would rather have Lloyd but you can't go wrong with either.

I think the Tales series should be represented by the time DLC has run it's course whether it's Lloyd or Yuri.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom