• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Sigh...I just want FP5 to be female. Chief, Doomslayer, Geno...everyone else can wait. They'll get their chance soon...

Last edited by a moderator:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
The game awards was boring besides 3 exceptions, hopefully we get a direct this month, Genoslayer is still strong.
Have fun being wrong, then.

Indeed

Question is should we throw away the deconfirm list now?
I honestly see no reason to. Vergeben hasn't really made any outright mistakes with Smash yet.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Indeed

Question is should we throw away the deconfirm list now?
I’ll take it (Vergeben’s list) with an entire salt shaker. The whole not knowing what company KOS-MOS belongs to as well as Nintendo and Spirit/AT promotion back in the running has me skeptical, even though it’s ironically what I’d prefer (Elma would have a shot too).

pretty much done with the other “leaker” whose name starts with an S and ends in an i tho

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I've been waiting for this s*** to open all goddamn day. New info about Nier. Let's talk about it. Put on your tinfoil hats, ladies and gents. It is time to speculate.

So, Nier series producer and SquareEnix board member Yosuke Saito announced a Christmas Niconico livestream/interview he is hosting featuring Masahiro Sakurai, Nier director Yoko Taro, Square-Enix's Takashi Anzai, PlatinumGames' Hideki Kamiya, and former Square-Enix employee Jin Fujisawa, who's worked on Dragon Quest. It's a gathering of developers born in the 1970s, which reminds me of the recent 1980s celebration in Super Smash Bros. They grew with those games; it is what inspired them.

This may be nothing more than a series of coincidences and circumstantial evidence, but all but 2 of those f***ers in that interview are involved with Nier Automata in some capacity. The exception is Masahiro Sakurai and Jin, who's involved with Dragon Quest. Conversely, every single participant except for Nier's Yoko Taro is involved with Super Smash Bros.

If it amounts to nothing, they still have Masahiro Sakurai cornered. lmao The timing is weird, too. This is the same month that Nier announced its 10th anniversary celebration almost 5 months in advance. Almost all of us are anticipating a Smash announcement this month as well.

Thanks for coming to my Gale talk.
All I want for Christmas is 2B in Smash.

Scratch that; I want A2 as an alt as well.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I’ll take it (Vergeben’s list) with an entire salt shaker. The whole not knowing what company KOS-MOS belongs to as well as Nintendo and Spirit/AT promotion back in the running has me skeptical, even though it’s ironically what I’d prefer (Elma would have a shot too).

pretty much done with the other “leaker” whose name starts with an S and ends in an i tho
So Vergebens source didn’t know Kos-Mos is owned by Namco?

And also is it possible that they said “idk” because of that 4chan leak? Which opens up the possibility that they may not know FP5?

Probably just wishful thinking on my end though.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So we are back! This is certainly quite a situation we are in. No TGA Smash announcement and insiders are looking less reliable by the day. I've decided to try to ignore any leakers as much as I can from now on (Even if it's tempting).

Here are my top 5 most likely characters for FP5 (ignoring any and all insider info):
  • Doom Slayer
    • Bethesda has talked to Nintendo about Smash (Not 100% guaranteed, but it shows there's interest)
    • Cacomallow leak is still alive
    • Daisy Theory with Doomguy's pet rabbit being Daisy
    • Doom being the game to popularize FPS games and pretty much all the major Doom games are on or coming to Switch.
  • Lloyd Irving
    • trademark logo that has not been used for anything yet.
    • Fits Thank You Theory (Sakurai getting another Bamco character in thanks for their contribution to Smash)
    • Bamco being overdue for another character
    • Lloyd is easily the most requested Bamco character and Tales of Series is quite popular in Japan
  • Arle Nadja
    • Fits Daisy Theory (female with orange hair)
    • Puyo Puyo being pushed more in the West
    • Would serve as the final left field character pick that Smash is known for.
    • Serves as a puzzle rep which we don't have besides Dr. Mario and since Tetris is seemingly deconfirmed due to the spirit event, Puyo Puyo is likely the next puzzle game to get a playable rep.
  • Phoenix Wright
    • I almost put him with Dante, but the DMC games started to appear on Switch way into the DLC cycle and one of the DMC producers said that if we wanted Dante in Smash, DMC would need a presence on Nintendo consoles. This was after DLC was picked so I doubt we will get Dante. Which is why I choose Phoenix as the top contender for a Capcom rep.
    • Onto Phoenix himself, he is a visual novel rep which we don't have yet.
    • Fits with Smash's aesthetics very well.
    • He is exactly the type of wacky left field character Sakurai likes to pick.
    • UMvC3 shows that he can work in a fighting game environment (btw congrats to Smash for that award at TGA, that will show the 'Smash isn't a fighting game' crowd!).
  • Crash Bandicoot
    • Popular in both Japan and West so it would be a great way to end of the pass with.
    • Fits Color Theory as the missing color left is orange. Even if Color Theory is coincidental, it has been correct so far, funnily enough.
    • Come on, Crash Bandicoot is an iconic character and was a rival to Mario and Sonic. It would complete the mascot trio (even if Crash isn't owned by Sony anymore)
    • Fits with Smash's aesthetics very well and would have a fun and wacky moveset.
    • Has made a comeback in recent years, including on the Switch and a leaked photo implies a new game which might mean Crash is going to become really big again (please!).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's kinda hard to take a break here because everyday there is always some sort of leak being brought up once in a while. **** it doesn't want me to catch a break.

I'll...try.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Ngl, even though I don’t want her in, I really feel bad for KOS-MOS fans.

Imagine your most wanted having all of those weird coincidences happening for the past month or so, only for it all to fall apart in one night, and going back to square one.

D

Deleted member

Imagine your most wanted having all of those weird coincidences happening for the past month or so, only for it all to fall apart in one night, and going back to square one.
We're not at square one exactly. It didn't fall apart just for us; everyone's did.

But hey, no one is gonna complain if our character's too niche for Game Awards :-)

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Now they know how Banjo & Kazooie fans felt pre E3 2019.

I.D.

Smash Lord

They are not coincidences. Fake leaks don't write themselves by coincidence. A falseflag copyright strike doesn't file itself by coincidence. Someone's trying to get a kick out of them.

D

Deleted member

Since some of us are of the mindset that the next reveal will most likely happen on the next Direct, Ima just predict the next Nintendo Direct will be in March because yeah.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
They are not coincidences. Fake leaks don't write themselves by coincidence. A falseflag copyright strike doesn't file itself by coincidence. Someone's trying to get a kick out of them.
That is my question though. Why are they targeting them in particular with these fake leaks and trolls?

If it was someone like Geno, Sora, Doom Slayer, ect, It’d be obvious from the start why they are doing it. At least that is how I see it.

But I have no idea why they are targeting that specific fanbase. What makes KOS-MOS such a popular character to use for trolling?

I.D.

Smash Lord
That is my question though. Why are they targeting them in particular with these fake leaks and trolls?

If it was someone like Geno, Sora, Doom Slayer, ect, It’d be obvious from the start why they are doing it. At least that is how I see it.

But I have no idea why they are targeting that specific fanbase. What makes KOS-MOS such a popular character to use for trolling?
My immediate guess is that someone from gamefaqs has a bone to pick with Dinah and gamefaqs just so happens to be full of unhinged people.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The newcomer speculation thread makes its return.

What's the current discussion and anything regarding an potential direct?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
As much as I want this, didn’t he get snapped by Verge? Along with like, everyone else? (Talking about the post after the clarification)
Honestly, at this point, I'm looking at both of the "deconfirmation" list with a MASSIVE grain of salt. Pretty much nothing Sabi has been talking about for the last month or two happened at the game awards, and he leaked absolutely nothing of what DID get shown. Not to mention he really hasn't leaked anything Nintendo related in a long time aside from Pokemon, which got leaked by pretty much everyone including random 4chan posts, or stuff from VRPlant. The fact that their "reliable source" still won't say who fighter 5 is really makes me think that something is weird behind the scenes, and I have a pretty strong feeling that they are going to be revealing Fighter 5 with Fighter 6 anyway, making this whole "deconfirmation" thing pointless anyway.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
I've been waiting for this s*** to open all goddamn day. New info about Nier. Let's talk about it. Put on your tinfoil hats, ladies and gents. It is time to speculate.

So, Nier series producer and SquareEnix board member Yosuke Saito announced a Christmas Niconico livestream/interview he is hosting featuring Masahiro Sakurai, Nier director Yoko Taro, Square-Enix's Takashi Anzai, PlatinumGames' Hideki Kamiya, and former Square-Enix employee Jin Fujisawa, who's worked on Dragon Quest. It's a gathering of developers born in the 1970s, which reminds me of the recent 1980s celebration in Super Smash Bros. They grew with those games; it is what inspired them.

This may be nothing more than a series of coincidences and circumstantial evidence, but all but 2 of those f***ers in that interview are involved with Nier Automata in some capacity. The exception is Masahiro Sakurai and Jin, who's involved with Dragon Quest. Conversely, every single participant except for Nier's Yoko Taro is involved with Super Smash Bros.

If it amounts to nothing, they still have Masahiro Sakurai cornered. lmao The timing is weird, too. This is the same month that Nier announced its 10th anniversary celebration almost 5 months in advance. Almost all of us are anticipating a Smash announcement this month as well.

Thanks for coming to my Gale talk.
Sakurai and Koko Taro in the same place. I mean, it could be my dear 2B but it may be a coincidence. Either way, to see those two in the same place will be amazing

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I honestly have no idea...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

If I had to guess, they picked a character that otherwise has little-to-no chance of ever being in Smash, and very few hopes of ever getting new content outside of Smash. That's a fanbase that's going to be desperate to believe, spread, and defend your leaks.

Like, sure, you can fake a Doomguy leak, but Doom fans will still get Doom Eternal next year, they're getting constant re-releases, and it's not unlikely that they'll even get Doomguy in Smash. If you want to target a fanbase, you're going to want to target a weak one that will be hurt more.

The internet has ****ty people.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Will it be a december Direct for the next amiibo wave, a January Direct, or an EVO Japan reveal? This is interesting.

I.D.

Smash Lord
and very few hopes of ever getting new content outside of Smash.
I don't disagree with your overall reasoning but this one is obviously not true, kos-mos gets new content to this day (unless you mean xenosaga at large and not just kos-mos)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom