• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
dont you hate it when shows dont start on the time they promise that they will

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
I know if they didn’t announce a character they should have a direct soon even more so because they jist had a nindie direct recently

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Poor Smash, I was really pulling for it to get Game of the Year. I mean I understand, Sekiro is quite the game and Miyazaki is someone they should have recognized a long time ago with a GOTY... but yeah...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You think next week will announce a direct? Yes I know there hasn’t been a direct in December since 2015. But they can break norms

D

Deleted member

You think next week will announce a direct? Yes I know there hasn’t been a direct in December since 2015. But they can break norms
Simply put, we have no reason to believe a direct will be announced in January. I lean towards nay, but that's just me being pessimistic.

We can at least assume February is the latest month. Why? Because the DLC Wave 1 is scheduled to end at Feb 2020.

D

Deleted member

But it WAS Game of the Year! Just not the predetermined choices by wrinkly old ****s
Sakurai: "Ah. Now that Smash Bros Ultimate is finished developing, I can finally retire from this mortal coil and enjoy the fruits of my labor."
Nintendo: "Okay, but the fans want a Fire Emblem fighter."
Sakurai: "****."

SKX31

Smash Master
We're back?!

We're back!

Sakurai: "Ah. Now that Smash Bros Ultimate is finished developing, I can finally retire from this mortal coil and enjoy the fruits of my labor."
Nintendo: "Okay, but the fans want a Fire Emblem fighter."
Sakurai: "****."
*Sakurai decides to make the 3H characters essentially Fire Emblem Pokemon Trainer, with Byleth in the background switching between Claude, Dmitri and Edelgard. Just to protest.*

"Never ask me for anything ever again."

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Simply put, we have no reason to believe a direct will be announced in January. I lean towards nay, but that's just me being pessimistic.

We can at least assume February is the latest month. Why? Because the DLC Wave 1 is scheduled to end at Feb 2020.
But they've been way ahead of schedule. They've been pushing characters every other month when it seemed they intended to drag them out longer. Perhaps due to knowing they would be doing more than this pass and had no more need to drag it out as much. It'd feel silly to make us wait even longer than normal just to fit a schedule they themselves outdated just to 'stick to their guns' on the end date.

I'd be quite surprised if we didn't get even a hint before January because 3 months of silence isn't a good move. Especially with as much apprehension as everyone has not just about the last of this pass but the unknown amount to be revealed.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly I don't think we'll see anything in december. Christmas is coming really soon and we rarely get video games news in general at this time of the year. It just feels like bad timing. My bet are on a mid-january direct.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Who are the characters who would make the fanbase angry the most?

I think...

-Someone from games like Fortnite, Apex or similar games (excluding Overwatch)
-Someone from trash phone games that beg you for microtransactions.
-Bubsy or any other character from a game/series with bad reputation
-Another Marth clone
-Zavok (bonus if he comes with Zazz and they are released before Waluigi) or Infinite
-A promotional character, and by promotional I mean like the Mercedes car in Mario Kart.

probably more.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I just really feel you're being too pessimistic about this sort of thing. If there is no announcement in January, then there will have been 93 days (and this is assuming that February 1st is the reveal date and not further out) between the last piece of Smash information relevant and a showing of the character reveal (the longest period of dead air in Ultimate's DLC cycle as we knew Joker post launch and had the 2.0 Update, and Joker to E3 was only 54 days and that event revealed two fighters in a massive style).

It just seems way too long for there not to be any more specific information on the table about #5 and the future of Smash DLC if this entire game's life cycle is anything to go by. Hell, even for base game, the time between Ultimate's reveal and E3 unveiling was 95 days and that holds the record for the longest period without new Smash information previously.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But they've been way ahead of schedule. They've been pushing characters every other month when it seemed they intended to drag them out longer. Perhaps due to knowing they would be doing more than this pass and had no more need to drag it out as much. It'd feel silly to make us wait even longer than normal just to fit a schedule they themselves outdated just to 'stick to their guns' on the end date.

I'd be quite surprised if we didn't get even a hint before January because 3 months of silence isn't a good move. Especially with as much apprehension as everyone has not just about the last of this pass but the unknown amount to be revealed.
First of all, what makes us so sure we're actually ahead of schedule, especially for FP 5? Just because the fighters were releasing earlier than we anticipated is no actual proof of anything.

Theoretically, FP 5 could release early February and could tie into a February direct, similar to Banjo being released early September.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm betting on a December or January Smash Direct.

With Christmas and New Years happening soon, I think next week might be our only shot at getting some news in December.

D

Deleted member

I just really feel you're being too pessimistic about this sort of thing. If there is no announcement in January, then there will have been 93 days (and this is assuming that February 1st is the reveal date and not further out) between the last piece of Smash information relevant and a showing of the character reveal (the longest period of dead air in Ultimate's DLC cycle as we knew Joker post launch and had the 2.0 Update, and Joker to E3 was only 54 days and that event revealed two fighters in a massive style).

It just seems way too long for there not to be any more specific information on the table about #5 and the future of Smash DLC if this entire game's life cycle is anything to go by. Hell, even for base game, the time between Ultimate's reveal and E3 unveiling was 95 days and that holds the record for the longest period without new Smash information previously.
I have no issue in believing this is pessimistic thinking, but if it can happen, I don't wanna get my hopes up for a January direct yet. There's just no reason to believe anything is happening in January, but there is reason to expect something in February.

I hope for a Smash direct to prove me wrong, especially with Post Pass potentially being underway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Unless a Christmas miracle happens and Nintendo does a Direct next week, we'll have to wait until January for FP5. Honestly, with 20/20 hindsight, a character revealed closer to their release in January/February to fully squeeze as much development time out of that February 20th, 2020 cutoff for the Fighters Pass makes sense. I'm just wondering who it could be, my brain is fried after all of those disconfirmations and companies already in the Fighters Pass.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Nintendo's gonna show it when they want. Making us wait will do squat when the character actually launches and people get excited for it regardless of the wait.

Not that many people are as fixated on FP5 as we are. Gotta realize we're a really, really, REALLY tiny bubble here in speculation that Nintendo doesn't care about at all.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Honestly, the only days next week where we can expect an announcement (as in, announcing any kind of event where we get any actual news) are Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. These things get announced one day in advance at latest, and never happen on weekends, Mondays or Fridays.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Poor Smash, I was really pulling for it to get Game of the Year. I mean I understand, Sekiro is quite the game and Miyazaki is someone they should have recognized a long time ago with a GOTY... but yeah...
I was just stoked to see Smash in the runnings. I mean how often do fighting games get nomitated for Game of the Year?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Obviously there won't be a Direct in January, because we're getting a Direct this month.

D

Deleted member

I was just stoked to see Smash in the runnings. I mean how often do fighting games get nomitated for Game of the Year?
Got a couple of goosebumps when Lifelight was performed in the GOTY medley. It was pretty nice

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honestly, the only days next week where we can expect an announcement (as in, announcing any kind of event where we get any actual news) are Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. These things get announced one day in advance at latest, and never happen on weekends, Mondays or Fridays.
I think the Robin/Lucina livestream was announced the Friday before (actual livestream was on Monday) and EVO 2018 announced the Wednesday direct that would announce Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus and King K. Rool on a Sunday. Those are probably the exception tho

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Obviously there won't be a Direct in January, because we're getting a Direct this month.
Yep. Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far there has been a correlation between Indie World Directs and Nintendo Directs, namely that every time we get the former, the latter comes out a week later. We had one this week, so I'm banking on next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom