• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Did the Resident Evil 3 remake get a trailer?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Veterans of Smash 4 speculation, please tell me your war stories. I am interested in hearing about them,
Here is the Fire Emblem one from a while back (the pre-Brawl one going into the first few years of pre-Smash 4). This is a very long read though:
https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/post-23627817

I have loads of stories from pre-Melee, pre-Brawl, and pre-Smash 4.

I actually wrote this when the roster for Brawl was leaking (back in December 2007):

Melee's roster was beginning to get leaked way back in August, with the first character being confirmed being Ganondorf (I think via an interview), next was Luigi who was confirmed in an interview I think in September. There was much speculation as to whether Jigglypuff would be cut. Jigglypuff was not exactly popular among casual players, and many thought her to be a joke. However, around mid-October, there was a person claiming to know the entire roster. Many people accused him of being a fraud, a liar, etc. He confirmed that Ganondorf and Luigi were indeed hidden characters (some people said that the interviews meant nothing) and that Jigglypuff would be returning as a playable character. He also deconfirmed Wolf as a playable character. The "leaker" then said that he would not reveal the full-roster until a day before Melee's Japanese release. People continually called him a liar and a fake. So he instead decided to submit his story about knowledge regarding the Melee to some GameCube fansite.

This article appeared November 1st, about twenty days before Melee's Japanese release. People were shocked at what the contents were. Luigi, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and Falco were all believable (as well as Marth for the few people that actually knew him). However, what made the list seem like a complete and utter joke was the inclusion of Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu. Mr. Game & Watch also made little sense to many people at the time. Also, many people confused Roy for Roy Koopa from the Mario series. Also, was the fact that more than half of the hidden characters were clones. Many people were upset to discover that Ganondorf was a Falcon clone. The vast majority of Melee forum goers were angry over this and immediately dismissed this as being fake, however, there were a few believers, much like how people who believe Ness is returning are being squashed right now.

This website immediately apologized for the article after the enormous backlash they received from it saying that the information being supplied to them could be very well be wrong. With this, many Smash fans sighed with relief knowing that the nightmare roster was a fake. However, the nightmare would soon resurface in a few weeks. About a week prior to Melee's release, screenshots of the demon roster started floating around the internet. Pictures of Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link in battle were also around. Many of us thought somebody had too much time on their hands, and was doing this for kicks. There was also the point that Melee's clone boxes were misaligned, surely Sakurai's team would not do a sloppy job on the character selection screen. It was also pointed out that there were two empty space on the screen. A lot of people dismissed these screens as being an elaborate fake.

However, when people actually got their hands on Melee and confirmed the worst, many of the naysayers reluctantly accepted that the leaked roster was the real deal. Many people cursed, screamed, saying that they would boycott Melee and threatened Nintendo and HAL for this abomination of a roster. However, when Melee was released many people angers were put aside by how great Melee was.

As you can see, I would not be surprised if a similar circumstance happens regarding Brawl's roster. It is also the reason why I am treating many people who claim to have inside information cautiously instead of immediately labeling him or her a liar. Hopefully, the Brawl roster leak won't get as ugly as the Melee one did. Anyone have ideas as to when and how the Brawl roster will be leaked?

The irony of all this is that I was probably the first one to post the full Brawl roster in its entirety:
https://smashboards.com/threads/the...is-topic-1-week-til-brawl.124098/post-3721756

It was basically made by piecing together information from various leakers who either did not have or did not give the full picture, but had various correct information between them.

The reactions to it are amusing to say the least.

I might piece together my various writings throughout the years if there is an interest in it.

As I said, I have a lot of stories from the pre-Melee, pre-Brawl, and pre-Smash 4 eras. I am not sure though if there is an interest in it though.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I didn’t know the trailer leaked...
Yeah, It leaked a few days ago, was on YT and everything and then a few minuts later, got privated or taken down, cant remeber which, lol
So the leaked RE:Mind trailer was shown at the State of Play after all... and they also announced that there'll be another trailer for Ghost of Tsushima at TGA.

Yeah...that's a pretty big blow to the KOS-MOS leak.
Aw darn, I was hoping SE made a new trailer with new stuff since this trailer got leaked lol

Flyboy

Smash Hero
i get that takahashi wanted to channel The Xeno Vibes by naming xc xeno but it's a little bit of a branding disaster
some people bought xc1 expecting a gears/saga-like game and ended up disappointed, and then people bought xcx expecting an xc1-like game and ended up disappointed, and even though xc2 is more like xc1 than xcx, you had xcx fans buy xc2 expecting an xcx-like game and getting disappointed

if xcx was just a standalone game this really wouldn't be an issue but here we are
Exactly! See this is why you're my favorite.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I love how Waluigi is represented by his own company now.

I mean if 3rd parties are the ones most likely, then it's one way around it.

D

Deleted member

I did mentions those issues in the next or so post of mine.

And yes, I agree with you here, but hey, at least you didn't have to see a shiny rock give you useless trash for 2 hours.
That's a fair point, but I never found myself grinding core crystals, at least in normal mode. I just rolled with what I stumbled upon and hoped it was good.

Granted, I wasn't looking for anything specific at the time.

Barrubo

Smash Apprentice
The only ones I am interested in that State of Play is the Spellbreak game, that illusion game and the one with the swan.

On a other note they did say that the one with the Samurai will show more at the Game Awards. What are your thoughts about that?

D

Deleted member

Yeah...that's a pretty big blow to the KOS-MOS leak.
Oh well. easy come, easy go. That's the nature of leaks.

Yall ready for Master Chief joining Smash at the VGAs?
I mentioned the other day (probably 15 pages back now) that Sora or Sephiroth are really the only super hype-crazy, internet breaking reveals they could really do at TGA, but Master Chief really would be one too; had forgotten. The Halo series is really the only reason the Xbox made it past its initial console (that system had very little for a LONG time and subsisted on Halo hype). It was the best multiplayer shooter since Goldeneye for the N64 and held on to that title for a long time. Master Chief would be a pretty good addition for his long, good-standing gaming history.

I know there's no limit to 3rd party guests in the pass, but we just got a Microsoft rep in Banjo & Kazooie; I'm not sure we'll get another in the same pass. I wouldn't be against him, but I wouldn't bet on him either.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

The only ones I am interested in that State of Play is the Spellbreak game, that illusion game and the one with the swan.

On a other note they did say that the one with the Samurai will show more at the Game Awards. What are your thoughts about that?
Looking forward to see more about Ghost Of Tushima, ngl.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Jon’s recent tweet about no matter how obscure a character is they can still be shown at the game awards really causing me to be suspicious especially when he predicted KOS MOS. Maybe I’m looking too deep into this..

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
i get that takahashi wanted to channel The Xeno Vibes by naming xc xeno but it's a little bit of a branding disaster
some people bought xc1 expecting a gears/saga-like game and ended up disappointed, and then people bought xcx expecting an xc1-like game and ended up disappointed, and even though xc2 is more like xc1 than xcx, you had xcx fans buy xc2 expecting an xcx-like game and getting disappointed

if xcx was just a standalone game this really wouldn't be an issue but here we are

he is going to beat you to death
View attachment 251864
Wasn't Nintendo the one advicing Monolith to change the title of "Monado: Beginning of the World" to "Xenoblade"? To honor Tetsuya Takahashi previous work if I recall.

Think it would have help a bit if the title stayed the same, but then again, Xenoblade is a better title to market than Monado.

D

Deleted member

That's a fair point, but I never found myself grinding core crystals, at least in normal mode. I just rolled with what I stumbled upon and hoped it was good.

Granted, I wasn't looking for anything specific at the time.
story and quest blades are more than plentiful and busted enough to get you through the main story but it's the search for that one blade you're missing for the ideal team comp postgame that gets annoying
Exactly! See this is why you're my favorite.
emoji (1).png

D

Deleted member

Jon’s recent tweet about no matter how obscure a character is they can still be shown at the game awards really causing me to be suspicious especially when he predicted KOS MOS. Maybe I’m looking too deep into this..
Pro tip: If you think you're looking too deep, then you probably are. We've got 2 days left; its probably better to just relax and let things flow till its time.

Barrubo

Smash Apprentice
Yes maybe but there are more characters that are more obscure then Kos-mos so anything is possible really.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here is the Fire Emblem one from a while back (the pre-Brawl one going into the first few years of pre-Smash 4). This is a very long read though:
https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/post-23627817

I have loads of stories from pre-Melee, pre-Brawl, and pre-Smash 4.

I actually wrote this when the roster for Brawl was leaking (back in December 2007):

Melee's roster was beginning to get leaked way back in August, with the first character being confirmed being Ganondorf (I think via an interview), next was Luigi who was confirmed in an interview I think in September. There was much speculation as to whether Jigglypuff would be cut. Jigglypuff was not exactly popular among casual players, and many thought her to be a joke. However, around mid-October, there was a person claiming to know the entire roster. Many people accused him of being a fraud, a liar, etc. He confirmed that Ganondorf and Luigi were indeed hidden characters (some people said that the interviews meant nothing) and that Jigglypuff would be returning as a playable character. He also deconfirmed Wolf as a playable character. The "leaker" then said that he would not reveal the full-roster until a day before Melee's Japanese release. People continually called him a liar and a fake. So he instead decided to submit his story about knowledge regarding the Melee to some GameCube fansite.

This article appeared November 1st, about twenty days before Melee's Japanese release. People were shocked at what the contents were. Luigi, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and Falco were all believable (as well as Marth for the few people that actually knew him). However, what made the list seem like a complete and utter joke was the inclusion of Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu. Mr. Game & Watch also made little sense to many people at the time. Also, many people confused Roy for Roy Koopa from the Mario series. Also, was the fact that more than half of the hidden characters were clones. Many people were upset to discover that Ganondorf was a Falcon clone. The vast majority of Melee forum goers were angry over this and immediately dismissed this as being fake, however, there were a few believers, much like how people who believe Ness is returning are being squashed right now.

This website immediately apologized for the article after the enormous backlash they received from it saying that the information being supplied to them could be very well be wrong. With this, many Smash fans sighed with relief knowing that the nightmare roster was a fake. However, the nightmare would soon resurface in a few weeks. About a week prior to Melee's release, screenshots of the demon roster started floating around the internet. Pictures of Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link in battle were also around. Many of us thought somebody had too much time on their hands, and was doing this for kicks. There was also the point that Melee's clone boxes were misaligned, surely Sakurai's team would not do a sloppy job on the character selection screen. It was also pointed out that there were two empty space on the screen. A lot of people dismissed these screens as being an elaborate fake.

However, when people actually got their hands on Melee and confirmed the worst, many of the naysayers reluctantly accepted that the leaked roster was the real deal. Many people cursed, screamed, saying that they would boycott Melee and threatened Nintendo and HAL for this abomination of a roster. However, when Melee was released many people angers were put aside by how great Melee was.

As you can see, I would not be surprised if a similar circumstance happens regarding Brawl's roster. It is also the reason why I am treating many people who claim to have inside information cautiously instead of immediately labeling him or her a liar. Hopefully, the Brawl roster leak won't get as ugly as the Melee one did. Anyone have ideas as to when and how the Brawl roster will be leaked?

The irony of all this is that I was probably the first one to post the full Brawl roster in its entirety:
https://smashboards.com/threads/the...is-topic-1-week-til-brawl.124098/post-3721756

It was basically made by piecing together information from various leakers who either did not have or did not give the full picture, but had various correct information between them.

The reactions to it are amusing to say the least.

I might piece together my various writings throughout the years if there is an interest in it.

As I said, I have a lot of stories from the pre-Melee, pre-Brawl, and pre-Smash 4 eras. I am not sure though if there is an interest in it though.
Imagine the Grinch Leak in 2001 that features Wario, King Dedede, Diddy Kong, Ridley, Banjo-Kazooie, and Sonic but people find out the last characters are in fact Game & Watch and Pichu.

Would have destoryed any kind of Dial-Up connection people were using back then.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh well. easy come, easy go. That's the nature of leaks.

I mentioned the other day (probably 15 pages back now) that Sora or Sephiroth are really the only super hype-crazy, internet breaking reveals they could really do at TGA, but Master Chief really would be one too; had forgotten. The Halo series is really the only reason the Xbox made it past its initial console (that system had very little for a LONG time and subsisted on Halo hype). It was the best multiplayer shooter since Goldeneye for the N64 and held on to that title for a long time. Master Chief would be a pretty good addition for his long, good-standing gaming history.

I know there's no limit to 3rd party guests in the pass, but we just got a Microsoft rep in Banjo & Kazooie; I'm not sure we'll get another in the same pass. I wouldn't be against him, but I wouldn't bet on him either.

No master chief would break the internet

There’s a meme about his inclusion in smash

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So about the Kingdom hearts trailer at State of play… Sure this might hurt a bit the Kos-mos leak, but I feel like Square could just show the same trailer a second time at the GA even if it was at the State of play (they did that at E3 2018, showing the same trailer at Microsoft conference and their own conference).

SKX31

Smash Master
I agree that Nintendo is a business first... but I do think your being a little harsh about them in an industry that would sooner eat you alive everywhere else. Nintendo has been very good about releasing lots of free content to consumers this generation and making sure that most of their games are pretty content heavy at launch too. I mean, just to address your bottom two points (I do agree that they need to do a better job of incorporating fan projects into their ecosystem by maybe hiring those individuals, but at the end of the day they do control and own the IPs, and it is 100% their right and somewhat their responsibility to privatize and monopolize the usage of that IP if we're being realistic):
  • Nintendo doesn't consider the mobile market as anything other than an additional revenue stream and thus puts fairly little work and/or oversight into those projects. They're dedicated to their own systems first and foremost and they've been pretty damn upfront about the fact that if you want the legitimate Nintendo experiences, you need to purchase their consoles. I get their free to play games are scummy like basically all free to play titles, but again, I don't think Nintendo has really ever advertised these titles as anything other than "lite pay to play" versions of their existing IPs. It doesn't excuse those models, but again, Nintendo doesn't really legitimize them at all outside of their just baseline existence and a couple of more specific developments with like Pokemon Go. And the fact that they still exist in such stark contrast to the proper Switch titles really just does communicate different design philosophies for those two sectors of business.
  • Refunding is a weird complaint from a customer that has to go through several checks to make sure they wanted the product in the first place. You have to go through several different button presses to ensure that you buy a title off the eShop, so it's incredibly unlikely you'll do it by accident. So, it really just comes down to you changing your mind after the fact, and I just don't get that complaint. You're a consumer at the end of the day and it's you job to make decisions regarding your purchasing power with the knowledge about the store that also goes out of its way to confirm you want this product. That's entirely on you, not Nintendo. If the game is a broken, glitch-filled mess, than I understand returns. But I do think Steam has spoiled people in regards to allowing them to not hold themselves accountable for their decisions a bit with its refund policy.
There feels like a lot better angles to criticize Nintendo for, like specifically their paid online service and policies regarding Cloud Saves on many games despite that being a paid service that is more or less essential to many people who own a Switch (and especially Super Mario Maker 2). But it's also, I just don't know why people would think Nintendo isn't a business first? If you've actually read up on Nintendo's history, that should be abundantly clear. They have a passion for game making, but an extremely real understanding that they are a business designed to make money first and foremost.
Yeah, that's one of the things that needs to be considered: Nintendo has a very large focus on its own exclusivity for better or for worse. It's what allowed them to establish their own consoles and add more and more series to them as time went by after all. Before that, well...

It's safe to say that Nintendo's video game business has been much more beneficial to them than their hanafuda, toys and love hotels. That's for sure. So them hard-commiting to their video games and exclusivity model makes a lot of sense in context. They've also had a few lucky breaks along the way (the almost-deal with Atari and them being primed to take NA by storm with the NES) but they've been competent overall.

If I'm allowed to play Devil's Advocate briefly with F2P: I'd consider them a kinda-sorta evolution of the arcade games of old. Both are built with accessibility in mind, and both need to extract money somehow to keep things going. Are things taken too far? Yes, often. It's a reason most arcade games are not remembered, and most F2P games buried. Right place at the right time is nigh-paramount in a corporate environment. That gives a lot of ground to the ruthless CEOs of the world like Bobby Kotick and Pony Ma (Tencent's founder and current head).

That said, I should also bring up China again for a reason. In my previous post about that topic I brought up one thing: Currently there appears to be no NSO service nor Smartphone app for the Chinese Switch so far. From what I've seen on Chinese social media, the Chinese internet services might be free. While this is a major "Bruh" moment for many people here, we also should remember that Tencent's services form the bedrock of Chinese society nowadays - so not letting Tencent handle the online stuff there would be outright stupid on Nintendo's part. NSO and the Cloud Saves likely came about because online has long been a major weak point of theirs*, and it came about before the talks with Tencent started.

*(And if there's anything Nintendo could learn from Tencent, it's how to handle online services. I'm hopeful it's minus a major glut of mobile F2P, because F2P can be really risky. Luckily Nintendo only sees mobile as an additional revenue stream. Tencent themselves learned that they could be risky the hard way.).

D

Deleted member

No master chief would break the internet

There’s a meme about his inclusion in smash
I worded it weird, but I did say that. I thought Sora and Sephiroth could the only reveals to do that, but I said 'Master Chief would too' as in, he'd be a reveal that could break the internet as well. So to speak; unless somebody sets of an EMP capable of encompassing the entire planet, I don't think anyone could actually 'break the internet'. Not even Ralph.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
When did he predict KOS MOS?

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
It isn’t hypocritical at all. Players get to use Kosmos and T-Elos at any time with Rex without paying for a single dollar. Xenoblade 2 players are also going to be more familiar with Kosmos than any of the other fighters in the pass.
It is hypocritical because you have previously said Kosmos can make up for Rex but in the post I previously quoted you said that she wouldn’t represent xenoblade 2 and also you kinda contradicted yourself in the message I previously quoted

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So about the Kingdom hearts trailer at State of play… Sure this might hurt a bit the Kos-mos leak, but I feel like Square could just show the same trailer a second time at the GA even if it was at the State of play (they did that at E3 2018, showing the same trailer at Microsoft conference and their own conference).
Yeah that does sound like Square.
Remember when they showed the same trailer 3 times at E3?

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
That's fair, but from what i remember the leak didn't say anything about a new Ghost of Tsushima trailer. I don't know how it would be possible to know about a Smash reveal and not about an announcement that would be teased two days prior to the awards...like what's the logic behind a supposed intern listing all those announcements (some of which were clearly supposed to be secrets) but not GoT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom