• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groose

Smash Champion
I don’t have much time to be checking here today, but I see a lot of posts is missed and something about KOS-MOS’ main leak being dead—can anyone give me a crisp summary of that development?

Barrubo

Smash Apprentice
Well I'm going to bed.

Like usual, something crazy will happen which makes everything turn on its head again.
I said that myself but nothing happend. Like usual really. Anyway good night to you man.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don’t have much time to be checking here today, but I see a lot of posts is missed and something about KOS-MOS’ main leak being dead—can anyone give me a crisp summary of that development?
I assume it's the Drunk Cat leak. Someone on 4chan leaked Banjo's codename and included a picture of a drunk cat, Papagenos talked about it in a video and then a second 4chan post with the same image claiming to be the original and went "omg guys KOSMOS? Reimu? Hayabusa? Win!" without actual codenames meaning it was likely fake.

Someone admitted to making it

D

Deleted member

Part of the leak, to be exact.

SMTV, Clock Tower remake.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
And now Monolith Soft has decided that "make Xenoblade 1 look like the bad Xenoblade game" is the way to go for some reason so RIP
To be fair, at least the areas look like they're largely the same quality as the original ones were for their time and hardware. And Shulk and Fiora look better than they did in the DLC for 2, though that's no big feat.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
(Uhh, I typed this all up while this was still the topic, the topic looks to have changed but I wrote a lot so I didn't just want it to go to waste and not post it. So yeah...)

I love Nintendo games and the culture around them but Nintendo themselves are absolutely a ruthless capitalist corporation. They just go about it a little different from the competition. On some grounds, they can be considered more ethical than EA, Ubisoft, etc. but in others?
  • Nintendo constantly shutting down fangames that (aside from that one Gamejolt incident where some of them were being sold for real money) Nintendo didn't really have any good reason to take down other than "We can and it's within our right to". Everyone still remember how Nintendo shut down AM2R a little while before revealing that they had made their own Metroid 2 remake?
    • I want to emphasize this in particular because remember when Super Mario Maker 1 came out on Wii U? People these days forget, but around that time was when several Mario ROM hack fangame sites were shut down. Super Mario Maker was, in addition to a real fun commercial Mario level editor, the ONLY one that Nintendo would "allow" in the wake of its shutdowns.
    • This has a Part 2! You know that super cool update they gave Super Mario Maker 2 the other day? The one where you could now play as Link? Well, it included a mode where you could race against other players' ghosts via the Ninjis on certain levels. At first, it seems like an innocent tribute to how Super Meat Boy worked...except Super Meat Boy was inspired to do that by one mcclure111 on Twitter, who created a system for showing all their different attempts at Mario speedruns within SNES9X, a popular SNES emulator, way back in the day. Super Meat Boy would use this system that was created for Mario ROM hacks, only for Nintendo to not only shut those ROM hack sites down but to give a copyright strike to the inventor of the predecessor to their Ninji system (details here and here, feel free to scroll through the thread for the sad details). While I and many others find Mario Maker fun, it's incredibly important to know that Nintendo is very much using the games to privatize a burgeoning ROM hack sphere to create a space where they alone wield permission to have fun with messing around with Mario level design.
  • Nintendo was reportedly reluctant to do free to play mobile games, but after a dodgy launch with Super Mario Run, they seemingly gave up without a second thought and made Fire Emblem Heroes a gacha game of epic proportions. It is their most successful mobile game not counting Pokemon Go (which is largely a Niantic / Game Freak thing), meaning that Nintendo isn't gonna reverse their change of mind anytime soon, given how the new Animal Crossing and Mario Kart mobile games are handled.
  • Nintendo still, STILL, STILL doesn't let you refund digital purchases. I bought a game recently I never even started, and decided I wanted a different game instead, but nope, I'm stuck with that game. Nothing I can do about it. This is inexcusable in 2019 and the only reason it's tolerated is because Nintendo has cultivated a "clueless about online" image that makes people instinctively lower their standards for them anyway, which is unfortunate because it dampens the upset that Nintendo should be feeling from their user base about this stuff.
I can go on. But I'll leave it at there. Yes, we are here on this forum because we all love Nintendo games and the way this crossover fighting game brings them all together with beloved third-party series too, but no, Nintendo, the company, is not your friend. Their actions are the symptom of capitalism encouraging everyone in the business to play around with and betray the trust of potential customers, and due to a monopoly / ownership stranglehold on things we love, we just kind of have to take it if we want to enjoy their stuff. Nintendo is a very unique creative force, and a huge innovator, but in this respect they are the same as anyone else.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Considering how this thread's "frontrunners" tend to go, I say ney.

I'm not saying this based on any proof, it's just we are ridiculously bad at actually predicting characters without any leaks.
For real, I think Banjo was the only one people got right based on evidence at the time seemed circumstantial.
Also it’s only matter of time before Doomguy yet again becomes a front runner. It’s funny how speculation always ends up ciricling back to him because a new “leak” involving him pops up has something to back it. I sometimes feel like he could be FP5 not because of any real evidence, but just because it’s destiny for him to end up in the spotlight yet again.

(Uhh, I typed this all up while this was still the topic, the topic looks to have changed but I wrote a lot so I didn't just want it to go to waste and not post it. So yeah...)

I love Nintendo games and the culture around them but Nintendo themselves are absolutely a ruthless capitalist corporation. They just go about it a little different from the competition. On some grounds, they can be considered more ethical than EA, Ubisoft, etc. but in others?
  • Nintendo constantly shutting down fangames that (aside from that one Gamejolt incident where some of them were being sold for real money) Nintendo didn't really have any good reason to take down other than "We can and it's within our right to". Everyone still remember how Nintendo shut down AM2R a little while before revealing that they had made their own Metroid 2 remake?
    • I want to emphasize this in particular because remember when Super Mario Maker 1 came out on Wii U? People these days forget, but around that time was when several Mario ROM hack fangame sites were shut down. Super Mario Maker was, in addition to a real fun commercial Mario level editor, the ONLY one that Nintendo would "allow" in the wake of its shutdowns.
    • This has a Part 2! You know that super cool update they gave Super Mario Maker 2 the other day? The one where you could now play as Link? Well, it included a mode where you could race against other players' ghosts via the Ninjis on certain levels. At first, it seems like an innocent tribute to how Super Meat Boy worked...except Super Meat Boy was inspired to do that by one mcclure111 on Twitter, who created a system for showing all their different attempts at Mario speedruns within SNES9X, a popular SNES emulator, way back in the day. Super Meat Boy would use this system that was created for Mario ROM hacks, only for Nintendo to not only shut those ROM hack sites down but to give a copyright strike to the inventor of the predecessor to their Ninji system (details here and here, feel free to scroll through the thread for the sad details). While I and many others find Mario Maker fun, it's incredibly important to know that Nintendo is very much using the games to privatize a burgeoning ROM hack sphere to create a space where they alone wield permission to have fun with messing around with Mario level design.
  • Nintendo was reportedly reluctant to do free to play mobile games, but after a dodgy launch with Super Mario Run, they seemingly gave up without a second thought and made Fire Emblem Heroes a gacha game of epic proportions. It is their most successful mobile game not counting Pokemon Go (which is largely a Niantic / Game Freak thing), meaning that Nintendo isn't gonna reverse their change of mind anytime soon, given how the new Animal Crossing and Mario Kart mobile games are handled.
  • Nintendo still, STILL, STILL doesn't let you refund digital purchases. I bought a game recently I never even started, and decided I wanted a different game instead, but nope, I'm stuck with that game. Nothing I can do about it. This is inexcusable in 2019 and the only reason it's tolerated is because Nintendo has cultivated a "clueless about online" image that makes people instinctively lower their standards for them anyway, which is unfortunate because it dampens the upset that Nintendo should be feeling from their user base about this stuff.
I can go on. But I'll leave it at there. Yes, we are here on this forum because we all love Nintendo games and the way this crossover fighting game brings them all together with beloved third-party series too, but no, Nintendo, the company, is not your friend. Their actions are the symptom of capitalism encouraging everyone in the business to play around with and betray the trust of potential customers, and due to a monopoly / ownership stranglehold on things we love, we just kind of have to take it if we want to enjoy their stuff. Nintendo is a very unique creative force, and a huge innovator, but in this respect they are the same as anyone else.
Hundred percent spot on. Your point about online reminds me, I don’t think Ultimate should win GOTY. Don’t get me wrong, Sakurai did a great job, the game is fun, and the characters are cool, but it’s embarrassing for a game released in 2018 to have such mediocre online. Especially since it’s a downgrade from four in some ways. I’m sure it’ll win fighting game but I’d be disappointed if it took GOTY despite failing in area important to fighting games today

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
So since I'm completely blank on who FP5 is, what update would you prefer them to come with?

A: A toggle for the mechanic colloquially known as "rage", with the official term being something like "High-Damage Boost".

B: An Assist Trophy pack for each of the characters of the Fighter's Pass. Goro Akechi, Dragonlord, Gruntilda Winkybunion, Kyo Kusanagi, and a character that relates to FP5.
Gimme the assists

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nooo, what happened to SMTV? My best friend was really hoping we’d hear more. Has it just been confirmed that we won’t see it this week?
No, but I doubt that we'll hear about it in the VGA.

It doesn't feel like somewhere ATLUS would reveal stuff.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Osby Atlus only reveals reveals, not actual stuff. At most they'd go "SMTV DEVELOPMENT IS STILL GOING ON! PREPARE FOR THE 30TH OF FEBRUARY FOR NEW INFO!"
Gwen, this is blatant wish fulfillment, it actually gives concrete info related to the game.

D

Deleted member

I am just glad that there still are companies like SEGA allowing fangames of their properties to be shared online.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
She’ll be pleasing for xenoblade 2 guys, but why does anyone consider her to represent xenoblade 2?
A bit hypocritical as you think she’d make up for Rex despite the fact that there isn’t a shot in hell she would

I.D.

Smash Lord
I can't believe I'm going to humor him but if kos-mos is fighter 5 I could maybe see her as making up for Rex, but for Takahashi, his wife and Monolithsoft in general, not for xenoblade 2 players.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I like KOS-MOS, and having in her Smash would be great. But what about Saber's chances of being FP5? I remember that alongside KOS-MOS, she was also often talked about. So how does everyone feel about her now?

D

Deleted member

I like KOS-MOS, and having in her Smash would be great. But what about Saber's chances of being FP5? I remember that alongside KOS-MOS, she was also often talked about. So how does everyone feel about her now?
I hope Saber Artoria gets in too.

Maybe she is Fighter 5 or not, but I am a person with a huge amount of patience.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Let's be real with ourselves. KOS-MOS is just Female Marth with a gun smh.

Have you seen the hair??? Total Marth.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
You and me both. I've brought it up before, but we've tried so hard and Harada absolutely wants to do it but it's a money thing. After the first game the series slowed down to the point that they had to keep it a trilogy instead of expanding it, and so it's not seen as worth making the HD ports just in case it flops.

And now Monolith Soft has decided that "make Xenoblade 1 look like the bad Xenoblade game" is the way to go for some reason so RIP
The style of XB DE look more like a hybrid of 2 and 1 art style rather than a straight-up copy of 2.

Imo, I like it, not dig it per say since I need to see more of it. Xenoblade 2 - being a good game imo - being used to help the remake make me pretty interested too, because with XB2 having ton of developpement issues and XBX being released on a dead console, I think MS just want to come back to the basis and see what they can do before moving to the big next project (well, sort of, since the XB1 Remake is made by a specific team, while another team is working on a brand new project, with even one more I think helping Nintendo others games).

Plus, hey, cut content remade into the game(exemple, the Bionis Shoulder)! That's pretty exciting.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe I'm going to humor him but if kos-mos is fighter 5 I could maybe see her as making up for Rex, but for Takahashi, his wife and Monolithsoft in general, not for xenoblade 2 players.
The reason Kosmos would inevitably not make up for Rex is just due to how many differences there are between them both which make them incomparable. The only major similarity they have in common is that they are part of the Xeno branding and that’s it. Kosmos is third party, part of a different branch of the xeno series, would have a completely different moveset etc etc. List goes on. Long story short Kosmos would not replace or make up for Rex

D

Deleted member

The style of XB DE look more like a hybrid of 2 and 1 art style rather than a straight-up copy of 2.

Imo, I like it, not dig it per say since I need to see more of it. Xenoblade 2 - being a good game imo - being used to help the remake make me pretty interested too, because with XB2 having ton of developpement issues and XBX being released on a dead console, I think MS just want to come back to the basis and see what they can do before moving to the big next project (well, sort of, since the XB1 Remake is made by a specific team, while another team is working on a brand new project, with even one more I think helping Nintendo others games).

Plus, hey, cut content remade into the game(exemple, the Bionis Shoulder)! That's pretty exciting.
xc2's engine was marred by performance issues but torna looked beautiful as all hell, probably because they finally managed to iron out all the kinks with the xc2 engine and figured out how to properly use the switch's hardware

got high hopes for xc1de graphically if it's gonna use the same, upgraded version of the xc2 engine that torna used (with some additional improvements ofc because monolith soft just goes off sometimes)

now if only they could make the art wheel not suck fr xc2's art-per-button layout was so streamlined my fingers are hurting already just thinking about going back to the wheel

Calamitas

Smash Champion

From what I've heard, only one of Monolith Soft's various teams is working on DE. Other teams are working on their ominous fantasy action game, while yet another appears to be working on the next Xenoblade game already.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I agree that Nintendo is a business first... but I do think your being a little harsh about them in an industry that would sooner eat you alive everywhere else. Nintendo has been very good about releasing lots of free content to consumers this generation and making sure that most of their games are pretty content heavy at launch too. I mean, just to address your bottom two points (I do agree that they need to do a better job of incorporating fan projects into their ecosystem by maybe hiring those individuals, but at the end of the day they do control and own the IPs, and it is 100% their right and somewhat their responsibility to privatize and monopolize the usage of that IP if we're being realistic):
  • Nintendo doesn't consider the mobile market as anything other than an additional revenue stream and thus puts fairly little work and/or oversight into those projects. They're dedicated to their own systems first and foremost and they've been pretty damn upfront about the fact that if you want the legitimate Nintendo experiences, you need to purchase their consoles. I get their free to play games are scummy like basically all free to play titles, but again, I don't think Nintendo has really ever advertised these titles as anything other than "lite pay to play" versions of their existing IPs. It doesn't excuse those models, but again, Nintendo doesn't really legitimize them at all outside of their just baseline existence and a couple of more specific developments with like Pokemon Go. And the fact that they still exist in such stark contrast to the proper Switch titles really just does communicate different design philosophies for those two sectors of business.
  • Refunding is a weird complaint from a customer that has to go through several checks to make sure they wanted the product in the first place. You have to go through several different button presses to ensure that you buy a title off the eShop, so it's incredibly unlikely you'll do it by accident. So, it really just comes down to you changing your mind after the fact, and I just don't get that complaint. You're a consumer at the end of the day and it's you job to make decisions regarding your purchasing power with the knowledge about the store that also goes out of its way to confirm you want this product. That's entirely on you, not Nintendo. If the game is a broken, glitch-filled mess, than I understand returns. But I do think Steam has spoiled people in regards to allowing them to not hold themselves accountable for their decisions a bit with its refund policy.
There feels like a lot better angles to criticize Nintendo for, like specifically their paid online service and policies regarding Cloud Saves on many games despite that being a paid service that is more or less essential to many people who own a Switch (and especially Super Mario Maker 2). But it's also, I just don't know why people would think Nintendo isn't a business first? If you've actually read up on Nintendo's history, that should be abundantly clear. They have a passion for game making, but an extremely real understanding that they are a business designed to make money first and foremost.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
A bit hypocritical as you think she’d make up for Rex despite the fact that there isn’t a shot in hell she would
It isn’t hypocritical at all. Players get to use Kosmos and T-Elos at any time with Rex without paying for a single dollar. Xenoblade 2 players are also going to be more familiar with Kosmos than any of the other fighters in the pass.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I want to try out the remake as someone who loved the original game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Sony's State of Play is on in 20 minutes. Let's see what they've got lined up

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
xc2's engine was marred by performance issues but torna looked beautiful as all hell, probably because they finally managed to iron out all the kinks with the xc2 engine and figured out how to properly use the switch's hardware

got high hopes for xc1de graphically if it's gonna use the same, upgraded version of the xc2 engine that torna used (with some additional improvements ofc because monolith soft just goes off sometimes)

now if only they could make the art wheel not suck fr xc2's art-per-button layout was so streamlined my fingers are hurting already just thinking about going back to the wheel
I forgot to bring that up actually, Torna resolved aloooot of the problems with XB2, not just the art style, but also storytelling, voice acting, perfomance issue if If my memories don't play with me, etc...

It wasn't perfect of course, *COUGH* doing lots of sidequests to continue the stories, no matter how good those sidequests are is no bueno *COUGH* , but it did show that Monolith did listen to their critics and tried the best they can to fix those issues that XB2 suffered.

So again, I'm really interested to see what they're going to do with DE, with all the hindsight they have now, as well as the budget & the team necessary to handle a remake of a beloved game like XB1 is. The future of the franchise is looking to be in good hands.
From what I've heard, only one of Monolith Soft's various teams is working on DE. Other teams are working on their ominous fantasy action game, while yet another appears to be working on the next Xenoblade game already.
Ah, thanks for clarifying that out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom