• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

bruh... if we got Dirk, it'd be so sick if he were hand drawn rather than a 3d model,

maybe even have the animations done by Bluth himself
Are we really worthy of having the legendary Don Bluth bless us with such a wonderful thing?

Maybe not, but I believe he would actually love to do that.

SKX31

Smash Master
As the Nintendo Switch is releasing in China soon, is there any franchises left with a heavy playerbase there that could be a possibility? To push help push the game?
I'm a little unknowable but could FP5 be connected to Tencent? The Game Awards is also airing in China.

I'm throwing random cards on the deck but can't rule it out.
There are lots of candidates that are big in China. Off the top of my head (not complete list by any means):

* Minecraft
* MOBAs: LoL / Dota 2 primarily in that order. Not expecting Arena of Valor (Tencents' own mobile / Switch LoL) at all.
* Dynasty Warriors
* Rabbids / Rayman in case spirit upgrades are a thing (Rabbids primarily - the Chinese Switch is getting an exclusive Rabbids game partly because their TV show was the highest rated Kids TV show there last year. Not kidding. And that's with Rayman Legends also being localized there.),
* Touhou (Reimu)
* Anything Blizzard. Warcraft (especially WoW) primarily, but Overwatch also has a major presence there.
* Dungeon Fighter Online (major league wildcard, owned by South Korean Nexon)

That's on top of KOF and Undertale having been successful there, and both those are in the game.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So if you take Sakurai's comment super literally and you really think there's only 3-6 characters left, who do you think those last characters are? Excluding Fighter 5.

My guesses?

- Geno
- Crash Bandicoot
- Lloyd Irving
- Phoenix Wright
- Ryu Hayabusa
- Sora

Maybe throw Waluigi in there as well as a really, trolly final surprise to cap the DLC.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
As I said, Sabi has never deconfirmed Namco, and outright said they never heard that from their sources.
Also the “tales of” copyrights could be associated with Namco mii costumes. Around the same time as those copyrights, there were tekken copyrights.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
You know Valve has more than just Half-Life, right? Including Portal, which is an absolute juggernaut that even Miyamoto is a huge fan of?
I actually had Chell as a bonkers "never-never" pick in my head for a while now, but considering recent events, it's insane that she's more likely than ever, and I think everyone in the boards would absolutely LOSE IT if she got in. Could you just imagine a Portal stage where GLaDOS ocassionally chimes in and comments on the battle, a la Snake's Codec or Palutena's Guidance? I'm pretty sure a reveal like this would make headlines on every gaming/tech news outlet imaginable.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
You guys bring up EA and who they could possibly bring to the table but then fail to mention one of their most significant franchises:

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Indie characters huh? If we aren't getting Spirit or Assist Trophy characters than it's gonna be Quote or Riemu. Shantae and Shovel Knight are out of the running, and I find it highly unlikely that it would be Frisk or Sans. Ori and Hollow Knight are also possibilities, but I don't have any confidence that it could be them.

This is now my favorite typo.
This is my logic now for the remaining ones like Hollow Knight or Freddy or Cuphead I can't see any being in when Shantae or Shovel Knight had clear popularity and backing by Nintendo.

I just really don't want it to be an Indie Rep yet.

D

Deleted member

If Nintendo is out would that mean MONOLITHSOFT is out because Nintendo owns them?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
You guys bring up who EA and who they could possibly bring to the table but then fail to mention one of their most significant franchises:

How dare you, the sports rep will obviously be **** Vitale from **** Vitale's Awesome Baby! College Hoops.

EDIT: Are you kidding me, we can't say that here? It's someone's name, what the heck.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
So after Verge deconfirmed a bunch of companies and characters, who do you guys think is the most likely now? Almost all of the names we've talked about the past few days are out of the running for FP #5.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
If we got a GTA rep the music selection will be wonderful

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Post pass might be really tiny. Like, two-three characters max.

If post pass is really tiny, then it might go back to first parties only, because why spend so much effort licensing characters out? Plus, third parties need the works (them, stage, around 10 songs, and spirits) while first parties could literally only bring themselves. That would basically destroy mass interest in DLC, though, unless we were getting Waluigi. And I think Waluigi, honestly, is a lock for post-pass.

If we're getting a lot of characters, then yeah, this is all for FP5. With Square-Enix and Microsoft having less of a chance, but not as disconfirmed as most others. And once we reach Season 2, then Dante, Arle, Sol Badguy, Monokuma, Jonesy, Reimu, Crash, Tracer, Steve, Lara Croft, Waluigi, Shovel Knight, and Shantae (among others) come back.

Except Koei-Tecmo and Bethesda. Vergeben said that they're "entirely" out, which might just mean they're surer of being out according to his source (which would mean they're the only two who are actually out for sure), but I believe it means that there's no negotiations for them at all, which would mean they're not involved with Smash at all. Which would mean RIP Ryu Hayabusa and RIP Doom Slayer for good.

Interestingly, that would mean that all of the other companies could be in the pipeline for future Smash DLC.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Hey guys I just came back what's going on-

Oh.

Inti Creates is still in the running, so I haven't lost prediction bucks on going all-in on Jason just yet.

zferolie

Smash Hero

If post pass is really tiny, then it might go back to first parties only, because why spend so much effort licensing characters out? Plus, third parties need the works (them, stage, around 10 songs, and spirits) while first parties could literally only bring themselves. That would basically destroy mass interest in DLC, though, unless we were getting Waluigi. And I think Waluigi, honestly, is a lock for post-pass.

If we're getting a lot of characters, then yeah, this is all for FP5. With Square-Enix and Microsoft having less of a chance, but not as disconfirmed as most others. And once we reach Season 2, then Dante, Arle, Sol Badguy, Monokuma, Jonesy, Reimu, Crash, Tracer, Steve, Lara Croft, Waluigi, Shovel Knight, and Shantae (among others) come back.

Except Koei-Tecmo and Bethesda. Vergeben said that they're "entirely" out, which might just mean they're surer of being out according to his source (which would mean they're the only two who are actually out for sure), but I believe it means that there's no negotiations for them at all, which would mean they're not involved with Smash at all. Which would mean RIP Ryu Hayabusa and RIP Doom Slayer for good.

Interestingly, that would mean that all of the other companies could be in the pipeline for future Smash DLC.
If we go with that leak from 4chan it says they have a planned 4 more characters, which I see likely. Geno is a shoe in if Sakurai is going with a fan popular one. That leaves 3 that could be more upgrades like Shantae or Waluigi, or other new worlds he just wants in

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

He said no Nintendo characters as well

This is obviously all for FP5.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I guess with so little options after these deconfirms, you could say we're on the Verge of finding out the true identity of Fighter 5!

I'll see myself out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know what?

I’m going all in on Kratos

the one company that haven’t been snapped

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't think it makes a lot of sense to assume we're getting, like, 2 characters or something. Based on the sales of the first pass, it shouldn't be immediately assumed that "doom and gloom" is upon us. I still am just thinking it's 5 more picks, and we're done.

Assuming none of the following characters are disconfirmed as Mii Costumes with Challenger Pack 5, we've got these potential options on the table:

Dante
Lloyd Irving
Heihachi
Amaterasu
Phoenix Wright
2B
Crash Bandicoot
Tracer
Dragon Born
Doom Slayer
Astral Chain
Three Houses

There are other picks, but my brain is scattered currently. All those picks are back on the table after Pick 5, assuming they aren't Pick 5 themselves or are disconfirmed as Mii Fighter costumes.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't look too hard into Sakurai's tweet myself considering it's a translation and what he means by "A little bit longer" is up to interpretation. Yeah we could end up getting only like 2 fighters but I doubt he's subtly revealing that via a tweet that was posted only in Japanese

Last edited by a moderator:

Ricksaw

Smash Cadet
So after Verge deconfirmed a bunch of companies and characters, who do you guys think is the most likely now? Almost all of the names we've talked about the past few days are out of the running for FP #5.
I dont know, was 2B diconfirmed?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This is my logic now for the remaining ones like Hollow Knight or Freddy or Cuphead I can't see any being in when Shantae or Shovel Knight had clear popularity and backing by Nintendo.

I just really don't want it to be an Indie Rep yet.
Games like Hollow Knight and Cuphead made a splash, but they never got as big as Shovel Knight or even Tohou. Since Five Nights at Freddy's is (according to GameTheory) invisible to those outside the YouTube bubble, and also only appears on PC and mobile devices, I'd say it was never in the running.

EDIT: I think Tohou and Cave Story are the only notable enough indie franchises that have at least some sort of presence on the Switch, and also haven't been disconfirmed.

Of course, I'm forcibly unable to talk about the greatest game ever made, Awesome Baby! College Hoops.

:drsad: What's even the point of speculation anymore?
Fun. That was and always will be the only point.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think what Vergeben meant by Koei-Tecmo and Bethesda being entirely out is that he had previously deconfirmed Hayabusa and Doomguy as #5, and now he's just deconfirming any character from those studios for that spot. I doubt anyone can say that a studio for sure won't be part of post-Pass DLC, for all we know it might not even be entirely finalized.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I think it's a really big mistake to try and divine concrete Nintendo policy statements from a vaguely worded and translated tweet from Sakurai, personally. "A litlte while" could mean anything from two months to the entire Switch lifecycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom