• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I definitely trust Verge 100%, but something feels a bit off.

If I don’t recall, I remember specifically at this time last year Hitagi was literally deconfirming everyone (including Atlus and Banjo, and we all know how that turned out.) Ngl, getting major deja vu at this very moment

But idk, its probably just me. They say the first stage is denial, after all.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
If we somehow actually get Kratos, the entire Internet would break. There would be no bigger video game character they could ever announce. We would have reached the top.

What an incredible timeline that would be.
Master Chief would literally be the only one who could rival it.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Games like Hollow Knight and Cuphead made a splash, but they never got as big as Shovel Knight or even Tohou. Since Five Nights at Freddy's is (according to GameTheory) invisible to those outside the YouTube bubble, and also only appears on PC and mobile devices, I'd say it was never in the running.

EDIT: I think Tohou and Cave Story are the only notable enough indie franchises that have at least some sort of presence on the Switch, and also haven't been disconfirmed.

Fun. That was and always will be the only point.
Actually... Hollow Knight did really well in Japan and their indie company is the only indie company Nintendo showcases to the Chinese audience.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
So if you take Sakurai's comment super literally and you really think there's only 3-6 characters left, who do you think those last characters are? Excluding Fighter 5.

My guesses?

- Geno
- Crash Bandicoot
- Lloyd Irving
- Phoenix Wright
- Ryu Hayabusa
- Sora

Maybe throw Waluigi in there as well as a really, trolly final surprise to cap the DLC.
What Sakurai comment are we talking about? Sorry, I’ve only seen Verge’s list.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Real talk, even if the post pass is only 3 fighters, that's still 15 unique newcomers added to Ultimate, pretty much double the base newcomer total if you ignore echoes.

:ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry:? ? ? ?

Also if you don't count the returning dead characters as newcomers
:ulticeclimbers::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultwolf::ultpokemontrainer::ultsnake:
Yeah, I still don't think Ultimate gets enough credit for all of the additions it has made. I still see people criticize "Everyone is Here" because we didn't get more unique newcomers in base game like we didn't get a comparable amount of work through veterans and the overall additions through DLC weren't going to be a big part of any discussion.

Like, base game added 6 unique newcomers in: :ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar: as you said. I know those 6 additions feel really small at first glance, but then you have to absolutely consider the returning veterans since they all took a pretty substantial amount of work to bring into the HD era and update even from Brawl: :ulticeclimbers::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultsnake::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultwolf:, 4 of which are completely unique and the other three are semi-clones with Wolf basically being a unique newcomer for all intensive purposes. So that puts us at a total of 13 additions in terms of numbered characters added from Smash 4. And then, while Echoes are easier than numbered unique fighters, there is still considerable effort put into them, ranging from notable animation differences and minor unique traits (Richter, Daisy) to straight up borderline semi-clones (Chrom, Ken). So I'd say they deserve a mention as further additions that should be counted when considering total additions, so :ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultken: give us 5 more to equal up to 18 additions.

Then, once you get to DLC, we have another :ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry: bring us to 23 additions. We know that there is one more fighter with the Fighter's Pass, and the plural of additional characters "now in development" means at a minimum that we'll have 2 more newcomers, which brings us to a grand total of 26 additions.

For reference, Smash 4 added: :ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultdarkpit::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt: in base game, alongside returning :ultdoc: for a total of 18 additions. The DLC season then brought us 3 previously cut veterans in :ultmewtwo::ultlucas::ultroy: and added :ultryu::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta: to bring us to a total of 25 additions.

Seriously, Ultimate deserves a ton of credit for how much it has added into Smash for us, and while people may argue that Echoes and Veterans shouldn't count, the roster has beefed up seriously from Smash 4 alone (which had already done a ton of work adding in additional characters).

Right, but remember that this is the same man who said "We hope you aren't expecting too many new fighters" before giving us nine more in the base roster, one free DLC, and the promise of five more in the Pass. Maybe he's just bad at gauging things?
His "don't expect too many fighters" was in reference to the base roster though, I don't think we can count DLC.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
It's honestly either Geralt or there's leak bait going around in my eyes.

Obviously I'm hoping for the later 'cause Geralt is one of the few "ew no" choices for me, but we'll see, I suppose! Either way, TGA is sure to be exciting.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm still holding on to hope that Namco's disconfirmation was just leak bait.

If that Clock Tower remake from that one leak is announced at The Game Awards, something is obviously up.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
The giant list of deconfirms gives me a weird feeling of that Fighter 5 maybe a MapleStory rep or a Dungeon Fighter Online rep.

D

Deleted member

If that Clock Tower remake from that one leak is announced at The Game Awards, something is obviously up.
I would seriously love a Clock Tower remake.

Doh I thought the last game in the series (Clock Tower 3) was made by Capcom.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
CJ has a shot for Smash. Cole ****ing Phelps has a sizeable shot for Smash now. Sunflower has a shot. A Sims character has a shot. Kratos, Sly, Ratchet, all of them have a shot.

If Nintendo history wasn't dead before, we have a chance that we are getting a character who will make their straight-up Nintendo debut in Smash, any Sony character. R.I.P. Nintendo History, 2006 - 2019. May you die so that we can get basically any game character.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Guys, guys, I figured it out. Sakurai recently visited Kojima's new studio, right? So what happened was, Kojima spoke about all the creative freedom he got when making Death Stranding. Sakurai, a freelancer, was inspired by his friend to make his next title for Sony, but he decided to promote his brand new IP in Smash! He's playing both sides for his own gain! The man's a genius!

(On a more serious note, The Witcher TV show debuts on Dec 20 so it would make sense for marketing blitz to reveal Geralt a week before)

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Wasnt there a game awards leak last year that got almost everything right but said Crash and Banjo would get revealed?

SKX31

Smash Master
Major Companies mean nothing to Sakurai. SNK is not nearly as major as it once was. Banjo was nonexistant now.
Hell, SNK was only saved from bankruptcy by a Chinese joint venture buying it out four years ago. SNK's stuff is a big deal there, but I wouldn't call SNK that (relatively) major nowadays. Even with their position nowadays being much better.

The giant list of deconfirms gives me a weird feeling of that Fighter 5 maybe a MapleStory rep or a Dungeon Fighter Online rep.
I definetely would not mind either. Even if (from what I've heard, need to research this more) Nexon is Korea's EA pretty much both MapleStory and DFO would be really intriguing options.

I've only read about DFO, but from what I've seen its swordplay and magic use is done via input commands? Or am I mistaken?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Alright my dudes:

-Kratos
-Sackboy
-CJ
-Franklin
-Red Marlow
-Arthur Morgan
-Chell
-Alyx
-Heavy
-Spore
-League of Legends
-Sabi and Vergeben get oof’d

Take your pick.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Would be funny if Nintendo went backwards but instead of throwing out names of who it is NOT instead of who it is, creating that confusion and bloodbath everywhere.

That would be Genius but I don't count on it.

I'm just sitting here, bewildered that there no ****ing idea of who could it be

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

Personally, I think it'd be really funny if Vergeben's source is legit, but just isn't 100% solid on which characters actually belong to which companies, what with how confusing licensing can get.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Alright my dudes:

-Kratos
-Sackboy
-CJ
-Franklin
-Red Marlow
-Arthur Morgan
-Chell
-Alyx
-Heavy
-Spore
-League of Legends
-Sabi and/or Vergeben get oof’d

Take your pick.
Fixed it for you, maybe only one leaker will get busted

also the fact SO MANY big names are out and only the lesser/snowball’s chance in hell companies remain, makes me think somethings up and there may in fact be leak bait somewhere...

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Games like Hollow Knight and Cuphead made a splash, but they never got as big as Shovel Knight or even Tohou. Since Five Nights at Freddy's is (according to GameTheory) invisible to those outside the YouTube bubble, and also only appears on PC and mobile devices, I'd say it was never in the running.

EDIT: I think Tohou and Cave Story are the only notable enough indie franchises that have at least some sort of presence on the Switch, and also haven't been disconfirmed.

Fun. That was and always will be the only point.
Hollow Knight is actually quite "big" for an indie. The game sold 2.8 million copies back in February. The game probably passed the 3 millions since. Silksong is one of the featured game at every Nintendo booth and Team Cherry is one of the third parties companies for the launch of the Switch in China alongside giants like Konami, Namco or Ubisoft.

I don't think an Hollow Knight rep is likely for FP5 since the release of Hollow Knight on the Switch doesn't match with the planning of the Fighter Pass, but do not underestimate the size of the IP.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Wasnt there a game awards leak last year that got almost everything right but said Crash and Banjo would get revealed?
Maybe, but I'm not going to completely rule out the Clock Tower/KOS-MOS leak yet since it guessed both HZD on PC and the release date for KH3 Re:Mind.

Probably still fake, sure, but I'm going to keep my eye on it during the show regardless.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
This reminds me of an old dream I had months ago. A letter was getting teared up by the fierce winds of winter. The letter found it's way inside a small cabin by the window, and then an axe was thrown to stick the letter to the wall. A hand goes to grab the axe and letter, we get a close up look on the letter and see that the wax looks like the Smash logo. The axe also resembles the Leviathan axe. We get a close up look on the person who threw the axe, and it turns out to be Kratos.

I have never thought I would see the day where a Sony rep is possible. If Kratos gets in then he would easily be my favorite third party character added to Smash.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Heh, I don't see Accolade or Black Forest Games among the deconfirmed list. Of course, what franchises do they even own?

Wait a minute...

Oh god.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I definitely trust Verge 100%, but something feels a bit off.

If I don’t recall, I remember specifically at this time last year Hitagi was literally deconfirming everyone (including Atlus and Banjo, and we all know how that turned out.) Ngl, getting major deja vu at this very moment

But idk, its probably just me. They say the first stage is denial, after all.
Imagine this whole time, Vergeben's source was kidnapped by Hitagi and Verge's been listening to his deconfirmations this whole time.

zferolie

Smash Hero
The three biggest Indies right now in gneral are Reimu(touhou massive in japan), Hollow Knight(Absolutely smashed all sales and has a sequal), and Shantae(been around super long, great sales and has a new game)

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I do wonder if there will be any more disconfirmations after this, tbh. Because if there are, wouldn't we eventually find out the source, which is something I assume Verge and Sabi don't want to happen?

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Sabi and Vergeben are going to be so wrong. Watch Crash be fighter 5, Geno be a bonus character, Doom Guy be the start of a second fighter pass, and the mii costumes be real.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
It's still possible that Verge is getting faulty intel or he's ****ting with us.

Jon from GameXplain seems to be casting doubt.

D

Deleted member

People though incineroar and dragon quest were leakbait but look what happened then

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Alright my dudes:

-Kratos
-Sackboy
-CJ
-Franklin
-Red Marlow
-Arthur Morgan
-Chell
-Alyx
-Heavy
-Spore
-League of Legends
-Sabi and Vergeben get oof’d

Take your pick.
What I'd love would be Kratos + Sabi and Vergeben to get oof'd.

These two are killing all the hopeful characters that have a legit chance to me. In all honesty, they sure better hope that NOT A SINGLE company they deconfirmed ends up getting announced as Fighter #5 at TGA's because if one is, NO ONE is going to take them seriously with how many hopeful characters they dashed or get tons of backlash.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
It's still possible that Verge is getting faulty intel or he's ****ting with us.

Jon from GameXplain seems to be casting doubt.

Jon has been pretty spot on with knowing how these things work. Verge I really feel may have jumped on bad Info. Sabi I think has a legit source who knows it. We shall wait and see but right now its best to just stick with what Sabi said and only the verge stuff that Sabi Agree's with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom