• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
You know, I wonder why Sakurai WOULDN’T choose a character like KOS-MOS after the whole Rex thing. That’s the part I’m struggling to answer.
Because we aren't entitled to another Xeno character just because Rex didn't make it in.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Rex didn't get in simply because he didn't make the deadline for the Fighter Pass. They hadn't planned or considered additional DLC outside the pass at that point.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
What I feel about the idea aside, I'd wonder why it's not Crash instead.
Yeah, Crash would be pretty cool too. I think the reason I like the idea of Spyro better though is because he's a dragon (my favorite mythological creature) and he's purple (my favorite color).

Basically, I just like Spyro's design more, ha ha. Crash would be pretty sick, though.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So, anyone know why Nightmare is still being discussed in the Geno thread?

I thought Verge disconfirmed him?
It's just based on the names Fatmanonice speculates on since he heard them from the insider discord, and he and another user seeing Sabi mock Vergeben I guess, with Vergeben apparently piggybacking other insiders internally or something, though Sabi seems to seriously consider what he says and doesn't pity him (someone asked Sabi if he pities Verg on Twitter and he said no), and even said Verg had him as a source before, so idk. I'm not believing in Namco being Fighter 5 myself.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

The Geno thread pays way too much attention to a guy named Fatman, who's in Sabi's circle. The dude does some absolutely terrible speculation, but for some reason people still listen to him. His latest tirade is that Vergeben is wrong and Nightmare is Fighter #5 (keep in mind, with no evidence pointing to it).

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Beats me. I think people have been saying it's because Fatman convinced them that he's Fighter 5 or something.

Droodle

Smash Lord
It's funny to think that once upon a time Shulk/Lucina/Robin/Chrom were all popular requests during the time before Smash 4 came out.

Even when Roy got added back, people were really happy.

And then Cloud got added, and everyone was super hyped.

But then Corrin got added in, and everyone started complaining about "generic anime swordsman" being added in.

Sounds like a huge portion of the fan base is a bunch of hypocrites. :/

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
im so anxious right now. Someone might come out and deconfirm all Capcom characters any second now and i wouldn't know how to react.

Phoenix Gang
Phoenix Gang

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Polls? Have you have ever taken a statistics class? They are not reliable.
Nonononononono.

You don't get to use the fan poll argument out of context like that. Nope. I won't allow it.

While fan polls lack external validity (the ability to generalize a finding to the outside population), they are good indicators of what characters the core fanbase wants. The fact of the matter is that Shulk was an incredibly popular core fanbase pick, being popular in both the West and especially in Japan (which, let's be real, is the fanbase that carries the most weight when it comes to character selection). As Gwen previously mentioned, Operation Rainfall (which you can educate yourself about here) was a Western push strong enough to not only get official acknowledgement from Nintendo, but actually managed to get all three of the target games published in America. Xenoblade Chronicles is worth noting especially since it was published by Nintendo, whereas the other two games were published by Xseed Games. If a fan campaign of such a size doesn't speak to Xenoblade Chronicles' (and subsequently Shulk's) Western popularity, then I don't know what will.

I get that this is probably bait and I'm a fool for responding, but please come back with an actual argument next time.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The Geno thread pays way too much attention to a guy named Fatman, who's in Sabi's circle. The dude does some absolutely terrible speculation, but for some reason people still listen to him. His latest tirade is that Vergeben is wrong and Nightmare is Fighter #5 (keep in mind, with no evidence pointing to it).
All Fatman has going for him is that he made the Geno thread before memes made Geno popular. He also thinks Sol is likely, who the **** ACTUALLY thinks that? I'm the biggest Sol shill here and I know damn well he isn't happening which is why i'm trying to re-enact exactly what happened to K.Rool, Ridley, Isaac and every other character who made it big in Smash speculation

MooMew64

It's funny to think that once upon a time Shulk/Lucina/Robin/Chrom were all popular requests during the time before Smash 4 came out.

But then Corrin got added in, and everyone started complaining about "generic anime swordsman" being added in.

TBH it's 'cause everyone had this expectation that whichever thread was loudest during the ballot would get in. K. Rool was basically being screamed for on this site back then, and when he didn't come, there was a big 'ol meltdown about it.

It was the Smash bubble at its finest.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Goddamnit why did you have to remind me of what could have been?

Pandor's Tower was decent too; it was the weakest of the three imo but still okay.
To be fair Xenoblade Chronicles was the most prominent game for Operation Rainfall. The Last Story and Pandora's Tower were secondary goals.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
All Fatman has going for him is that he made the Geno thread before memes made Geno popular. He also thinks Sol is likely, who the **** ACTUALLY thinks that? I'm the biggest Sol shill here and I know damn well he isn't happening which is why i'm trying to re-enact exactly what happened to K.Rool, Ridley, Isaac and every other character who made it big in Smash speculation
Can we make our own Fatman in this thread who uses our speculation to make claims instead of Sabi’s discord server? For example, “I’ve heard rumblings that Marina MAY have some merit, I still need to investigate that though.”

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I think the hypocrites part can clearly be seen when they whine about all sword users being the exact same yet praise the 15th cartoony punchy dude from a platformer as Lucina and Robin weren't considered options back then, Roy still had some backlash and some people were mad that we got a puppet from Square but not the one they wanted

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

There's a difference between adding popular requested characters and adding a blatant shill pick who is just there to advertise a game coming out, a game that is divisive among Fire Emblem fans. It's even worse when Corrin's reveal came right after the ballot when Nintendo asked for fan requests.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Last edited:

MooMew64

I think the hypocrites part can clearly be seen when they whine about all sword users being the exact same yet praise the 15th cartoony punchy dude from a platformer as Lucina and Robin weren't considered options back then, Roy still had some backlash and some people were mad that we got a puppet from Square but not the one they wanted
TBH I've never understood the huge pull Geno has in core Smash fandom.

Like, people can like what they like and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but for me personally...I've never understood it. I've personally never found Geno to stand out in the way people say he does.

To each their own though, of course. I'd be happy for others if he got in.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

This fanbase is full of revisionists and others who don't properly understand the history of Smash speculation.

When you've got people who joined at the tail-end of base Ultimate speculation making claims about Smash 4 and Brawl speculation of course they're likely going to be wrong. They don't know jack about either.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Like, people can like what they like and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but for me personally...I've never understood it. I've personally never found Geno to stand out in the way people say he does.
Forest Maze was a huge meme at the time due to that one animated video on youtube, people liked it and considering the final shot of that video is Geno saying "I'm a gaming god", people associate him with the song. Theoretically this is fine, bandwagons are usually caused by this stuff and bandwagoning is only considered bad if it's a character is disliked by the person saying they're bad, but for some reason people became convinced he's happening when Sakurai expressed that he wanted Geno but implied there were difficulties, now we're about a decade since then and his stans have somehow stayed alive. It's actually quite impressive despite most Geno stans I've seen be nothing but unpleasant to talk to

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Started playing Spyro Reignited on Switch, and it's making me want Spyro in Smash.

What would everyone here's thoughts on that be?
I WANT SPYRO SO BADLY HE WAS MY CHILDHOOOOD
*ahem*
I meant, I’d love to have him. He’d be nice.

D

Deleted member

This fanbase is full of revisionists and others who don't properly understand the history of Smash speculation.

When you've got people who joined at the tail-end of base Ultimate speculation making claims about Smash 4 and Brawl speculation of course they're likely going to be wrong. They don't know jack about either.
Rip the newbs, but I'm different

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I simply want Geno just because Super Mario RPG was badass and a big part of my childhood. The actual character wasn't a huge standout, imo.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
TBH it's 'cause everyone had this expectation that whichever thread was loudest during the ballot would get in. K. Rool was basically being screamed for on this site back then, and when he didn't come, there was a big 'ol meltdown about it.

It was the Smash bubble at its finest.
tldr; K. Rool was highly requested.
Just state it plain and simple, no need to make up unnecessary terms.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Started playing Spyro Reignited on Switch, and it's making me want Spyro in Smash.

What would everyone here's thoughts on that be?
I'd down for Spyro but I would definitely want Crash to make it in first.

D

Deleted member

He really doesn't stand out in any way from my perspective. Dude was only in two games, and one of those was a missable cameo.

A large pull could be from TerminalMontage, a popular animator on YouTube. He's been active about Geno support for a while and includes the character in every video as short cameos. He probably spurred Geno on in Ultimate speculation. At least that's how I found out.

A large part of it could also just be small nostalgia for Super Mario RPG collecting together to build Geno suppirt into a shockingly huge bandwagon that gets the word out.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I can't remember who pointed it out, but there's one really good analysis that could point to "why."

The Mario series is one that appeals to people of all ages, including children, given the abundance of colorful characters. However, in general, RPGs don't tend to be appealing to younger children in the same way (not to say there aren't exceptions...just look at Pokémon) since they're more story and dialogue driven. Super Mario RPG is a game that bridged that gap for many people growing up.

As for Geno himself, he's this mysterious and mystical badass who deals a ton of damage (but also has his more dorky, lighthearted side). That general archetype appeals to a lot of people, and almost all successful RPGs have someone like that.

But for a lot of people, especially those who got into JRPGs with Mario RPG as their first, Geno was the one to introduce that archetype. So he made a lasting impression on those people likely because to them, he was the first one.

tl;dr, for a lot of people, Mario RPG was their first gateway RPG, and Geno is a character from a popular RPG archetype, so he made an impact on people in their formative years.

At least, that's one explanation.

StormC

Smash Hero
Rex didn't get in simply because he didn't make the deadline for the Fighter Pass. They hadn't planned or considered additional DLC outside the pass at that point.
Sakurai never said anything about Rex missing the deadline for the Fighters Pass. He was talking about the base game. Rex isn’t in the Fighters Pass because neither Sakurai or Nintendo wanted to put him in it, for whatever reason that may be (there are a few I can intuit, but I couldn’t tell you besides speculation).

EDIT: Also, Sakurai said in his book earlier this year that as of early 2018, DLC decision making did not yet begin. Xenoblade 2 was out by then.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
He really doesn't stand out in any way from my perspective. Dude was only in two games, and one of those was a missable cameo.

A large pull could be from TerminalMontage, a popular animator on YouTube. He's been active about Geno support for a while and includes the character in every video as short cameos. He probably spurred Geno on in Ultimate speculation. At least that's how I found out.

A large part of it could also just be small nostalgia for Super Mario RPG collecting together to build Geno suppirt into a shockingly huge bandwagon that gets the word out.
Not to mention the game Geno actually had some significance to beyond a cameo didn't come out in Europe until well over a decade where it was uncerimoniously put on the VC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom