• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm sorry to put it this way, but people still hoping for KOS-MOS as fighter #5 after Vergeben had debunked Bamco is denial in it's purest form.
Not in it's purest form as there's still the chance of leaker bait but insistence in the face of mounting evidence otherwise isn't healthy.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Not really. Vergeben was spot on with getting Dragon Quest. And he guessed BK and Terry even if it can be interpreted as piggybacking.

His fighter guesses for DLC were 3/3. Would say that's a good DLC Fighter track record.
Terry was accidentally leaked by Nintendo, a better leaker did Banjo, and Hero was found by data mining alone. He leaked 0/3 fighters. A goddamn 4chan cat had 3/3 fighters with codes that line up 100% and before the snk leak from Nintendo.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Terry was linked by Nintendo, a better leaker did Banjo, and Hero was found by data mining alone.
Hero was leaked before the datamine.

I treat Vergeben's DLC leaks with a decent amount of skepticism, but this will be his do or die moment with how boldly he is declaring what fighter 5 won't be. I am willing to humor him somewhat.

Sabi not so much.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hero was found by data mining alone.
Vergeben uncovered a Square Enix character way before this. Like during the Grinch leak saga.

Hero was leaked before the datamine.

I treat Vergeben's DLC leaks with a decent amount of skepticism, but this will be his do or die moment with how boldly he is declaring what fighter 5 won't be. I am willing to humor him somewhat.

Sabi not so much.
Yeah if Vergeben's wrong with this ****, it'll actually kill him for me. Can't wait to see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Terry was linked by Nintendo, a better leaker did Banjo, and Hero was found by data mining alone.
Except the datamining came far after Vergeben's Square Enix claims. Don't be a revisionist.
Sakurai literally ssated Rex would’ve been in the game if the development didn’t occur before xenoblade 2.
Considering the DLC was decided in early 2018, long before the Rex costume was shown off, how would it make sense to give KOS-MOS Rex's "slot" when he could've just added Rex instead? The consolation for no Rex was the Mii costume.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
If anything, Rex’s absence would hint more at another Xenoblade rep.
His absence is mostly just because his game was too late rather than hinting at anything specifically. Elma would be cool and all but I don't think Rex is indicating anything specifically.

Also, dare I say it, I don't think Rex for #5 is entirely impossible or as unlikely as many people are thinking. Sakurai's rather peculiar apology would make a little bit more sense if it were the case.

Though I still consider it a fairly small chance, considering the "introducing new worlds" quote and trend of third parties for the pass, but if fighter #5 is to be an exception I think the possibility definitely exists.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Except the datamining came far after Vergeben's Square Enix claims. Don't be a revisionist.

Considering the DLC was decided in early 2018, long before the Rex costume was shown off, how would it make sense to give KOS-MOS Rex's "slot" when he could've just added Rex instead? The consolation for no Rex was the Mii costume.
Because Nintendo only wanted third-parties in the dlc. Remember, they give Sakurai a list to choose from.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I remember someone said in particular that Sakurai holding off Rex for fighter 5 would be suspicious and quite possibly false advertising on his part. There is no other way to get that Rex costume unless you buy the fighter pack for 25 bucks. This isn’t even concerning moments after when he apologized for not adding Rex, believing that the mii costume was the best substitute for him at the time. It’s safe to say that planned the first pack way ahead of time. I think it’s very easy to say that Rex missed the deadline. Fighter number six though is totally possible.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Because Nintendo only wanted third-parties in the dlc. Remember, they give Sakurai a list to choose from.
That doesn't answer my question. The DLC characters were decided a mere few months after XC2 released. If they were worried about the Rex issue, why would they dedicate character five to it that early, and two, why wouldn't the Rex costume come with THAT character instead of right at the start? And why would Sakurai act like the costume and music were the consolation prizes?

Rex isn't entitled to an apology in the form of a totally different DLC character. We didn't get Dhalsim to apologize for no ARMS character. We didn't get Owlboy to compensate for no Decidueye. Those were also characters we know almost made the cut.

That and giving a completely different character makes no sense whatsoever as an apology.

BlackInk

Smash Lord

So Vergeben only had ONE predicted character out of four. A character that was EARLY dlc. This means he has no **** on Nintendo now.

I remember someone said in particular that Sakurai holding off Rex for fighter 5 would be suspicious and quite possibly false advertising on his part. There is no other way to get that Rex costume unless you buy the fighter pack for 25 bucks. This isn’t even concerning when he apologized for not adding Rex, believing that the mii costume was the best substitute. He planned the first pack way ahead of time. I think it’s very easy to say that Rex barely missed the deadline. Fighter number six though is totally possible.
The whole Rex thing is arguably weird as ****.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So uhh...

Just a thought I had. Characters are usually released the week before an Amiibo wave right? i.e. Terry being released the week before Nov 15 and Hero/Banjo also before their Amiibo waves.

So with the next wave being Jan 17, can we safetly assume the next character releases on Jan 7th or 8th? Usually, characters are dropped on a Tuesday or a Wednesday so it makes sense.

I'm mentioning this because there's some people saying the VGA's might go by without any reveal and with that in mind, it's very hard to see that happening. The deadline they gave for the pass was Feb 2020 but that's only the latest. Given that work is most likely being done on the additional fighters, it's more than likely that Fighter 5 is in it's final development stages and will release around this time next month. It would also mean the quickest turnaround from reveal to release since Hero.

That could also set up a situation for a Direct to happen that same day and reveal the first post-pass character in addition to Fighter 5's gameplay overview like in September. I think a Direct in Jan is very likely given the big Q1 2020 schedule and the first half of the year needing to be covered.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's amazing how much cleaner this tread becomes once you start using the ignore feature.

Why would Shantae and Reimu be in competition with each other? Because they're both indies? If anything, one being included would increase the chances for the other as it'll break the "no playable indies" fan rule. They both appeal to different audiences.
I don’t think they’re in competition, either. I don’t really get why them being indies is treated like they’re in some special genre; it’s no different than us getting multiple JRPG characters or big league characters. As you said, they appeal to different audiences, plus they’re all still videogames made and owned by different people, so it’s not like one indie can represent all of them.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I remember someone said in particular that Sakurai holding off Rex for fighter 5 would be suspicious and quite possibly false advertising on his part. There is no other way to get that Rex costume unless you buy the fighter pack for 25 bucks. This isn’t even concerning when he apologized for not adding Rex, believing that the mii costume was the best substitute. He planned the first pack way ahead of time. I think it’s very easy to say that Rex barely missed the deadline. Fighter number six though is totally possible.
I don't necessarily think I would consider it false advertising, but it's a weird move regardless.

"Sorry but we unfortunately weren't able to add Rex to the base roster, but here's a Mii Costume and we hope it makes you feel like you're playing him! But first you have to fork over 25 bucks for a bunch of unknown characters you may or may not enjoy."

Considering Sakurai didn't owe us an apology at all, it's strange he chose to do it this way.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I love when some clown gets proven wrong about Vergeben and they immediately say his correct leaks were a "prediction"

Stubborn to the end lmao

BlackInk

Smash Lord
That doesn't answer my question. The DLC characters were decided a mere few months after XC2 released. If they were worried about the Rex issue, why would they dedicate character five to it that early, and two, why wouldn't the Rex costume come with THAT character instead of right at the start? And why would Sakurai act like the costume and music were the consolation prizes?

Rex isn't entitled to an apology in the form of a totally different DLC character. We didn't get Dhalsim to apologize for no ARMS character. We didn't get Owlboy to compensate for no Decidueye. Those were also characters we know almost made the cut.

That and giving a completely different character makes no sense whatsoever as an apology.
There is one thing I’m wondering about. Why didn’t he put Rex as a base costume or a simple .75$ costume and how much does he know about Monoilth Soft? He has Shulk in smash 4 despite Shulk’s low popularity. Sakurai always seems interested in the franchises he chooses to represent. What if he knew about Kosmos before xenoblade 2?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There is one thing I’m wondering about. Why didn’t he put Rex as a base costume or a simple .75$ costume and how much does he know about Monoilth Soft? He has Shulk in smash 4 despite Shulk’s low popularity. Sakurai always seems interested in the tranches he chooses to represent. What if he knew about Kosmos before xenoblade 2?
The **** are you on about Shulk was a huge ass request in Japan and Project Rainfall showed that America REALLY wanted Xenoblade

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I love when some clown gets proven wrong about Vergeben and they immediately say his correct leaks were a "prediction"

Stubborn to the end lmao
I just don’t trust him in particular in regards for dlc pr the specifics of it.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
There is one thing I’m wondering about. Why didn’t he put Rex as a base costume or a simple .75$ costume and how much does he know about Monoilth Soft? He has Shulk in smash 4 despite Shulk’s low popularity. Sakurai always seems interested in the franchises he chooses to represent. What if he knew about Kosmos before xenoblade 2?
Were you around for Smash 4 speculation? Shulk was one of the most popular characters, especially in Japan.

Again, don't be a revisionist.

StormC

Smash Hero
So uhh...

Just a thought I had. Characters are usually released the week before an Amiibo wave right? i.e. Terry being released the week before Nov 15 and Hero/Banjo also before their Amiibo waves.

So with the next wave being Jan 17, can we safetly assume the next character releases on Jan 7th or 8th? Usually, characters are dropped on a Tuesday or a Wednesday so it makes sense.

I'm mentioning this because there's some people saying the VGA's might go by without any reveal and with that in mind, it's very hard to see that happening. The deadline they gave for the pass was Feb 2020 but that's only the latest. Given that work is most likely being done on the additional fighters, it's more than likely that Fighter 5 is in it's final development stages and will release around this time next month. It would also mean the quickest turnaround from reveal to release since Hero.

That could also set up a situation for a Direct to happen that same day and reveal the first post-pass character in addition to Fighter 5's gameplay overview like in September. I think a Direct in Jan is very likely given the big Q1 2020 schedule and the first half of the year needing to be covered.
imo we will get a February Direct. I think Nintendo uses TGA as a “checkpoint Direct” to drop a couple of megatons. Then they wait until February to announce more. Just my guess anyway. They very rarely have January Directs.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I know that Falcom reps PROBABLY got disconfirmed for the time being, but Falcom putting ports on the Switch makes me really want one. Particularly Adol. He has now joined my “Probably never gonna happen ever but I’d die of happiness if it did” group of most wanted third parties. Their activity on the switch and them wanting to put in Adol gave me a small dose of hope.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
There is one thing I’m wondering about. Why didn’t he put Rex as a base costume or a simple .75$ costume and how much does he know about Monoilth Soft? He has Shulk in smash 4 despite Shulk’s low popularity. Sakurai always seems interested in the tranches he chooses to represent. What if he knew about Kosmos before xenoblade 2?
*Looks at the argument* I'm sorry, but I can only sum up my reaction in this GIF:

KOS-MOS hails from the PS2 days, while Xenoblade 2 is not only in a different series but also debuted on the Switch. Like, there's 15 years between KOS-MOS and Rexs' respective debuts.

So my answer to that last question is: Extremely likely.

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I've now finished the second case in Phoenix Wright, and this game is INSANE. Never before have I played a game that gave me this much suspense, laughter and satisfaction all in one package. My mouth was even hurting for a while because how much this game makes me smile!

I'm pleased to say that Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney may end up being my favorite game of all time. It's that good.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
So you saying "Nou" is more reliable than *checks notes* a huge ass movement and Sakurai's own statements as seen here?
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/05/31/character-selection-smash-for/

Ok boomer
It’s a factor, so is Sakurai’s interest in the series. The article makes it seem like the reasoning is uncertain. It covers how Shulk is an odd choice, even for Sakurai. I’ll say that Sakurai is biased to the series (and potentially Monoloith’s old series as well).

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I've now finished the second case in Phoenix Wright, and this game is INSANE. Never before have I played a game that gave me this much suspense, laughter and satisfaction all in one package. My mouth was even hurting for a while because how much this game makes me smile!

I'm pleased to say that Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney may end up being my favorite game of all time. It's that good.
Just wait til you get to some of the later games. The series as a whole is simply excellent, and most people have a different favorite one. I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Started playing Spyro Reignited on Switch, and it's making me want Spyro in Smash.

What would everyone here's thoughts on that be?
What I feel about the idea aside, I'd wonder why it's not Crash instead.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
imo we will get a February Direct. I think Nintendo uses TGA as a “checkpoint Direct” to drop a couple of megatons. Then they wait until February to announce more. Just my guess anyway. They very rarely have January Directs.
Well, there was a mini in Jan 2018, a huge event in 2017, and one in both 2013 & 2015.

Whether it's Jan or Feb, I still very much believe we get a gameplay overview video on Jan 8th with the character releasing that day. Also with AC and the Doom game in March, I figured a Direct two months in advance would work better than only one month but who's to say?

Technically, it's not really a big deal but in the context of Smash speculation, 1 month is like a lifetime lol.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Fanart created by NinN! Loved it so much!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Orrrr the article makes it clear Sakurai wanted Shulk for multiple reasons? Feel free to translate the original article yourself to prove me wrong
I’m just telling you of my impressions of the article, cause they are a bit wonky. They don’t point to any direct stream events or links to them.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Started playing Spyro Reignited on Switch, and it's making me want Spyro in Smash.

What would everyone here's thoughts on that be?
Spyro would be kind of cool. He walks on four legs and is a dragon. He would do that ramming attack when he does the dash attack and neutral B could be his flame breath.

He could be an interesting character.

Droodle

Smash Lord
So, anyone know why Nightmare is still being discussed in the Geno thread?

I thought Verge disconfirmed him?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I’m just telling you of my impressions of the article, cause they are a bit wonky. They don’t point to any direct stream events or links to them.
What, do you want a highly elaborately detailed timeline of the process of Shulk's inclusion? Why is "Shulk was popular" so hard to understand when you keep making up evidence that Hollow Knight or KOSMOS are FP5

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman

I’m glad we’ve both had similar face-hurting experiences when it comes to Ace Attorney, just hearing that pursuit music in-game the first couple of times made me smile like an idiot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom