• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
When Sakurai decided on the DLC I highly doubt he thought about where they would be revealed at and whether or not it would be a hit with the audience there. If Joker wasn't such a crazy reveal last year I doubt we'd even think that there will be a TGA reveal this year; which we have no clue about btw. Debating whether a character is hype enough for TGA seems like a pointless discussion when it never would have factored into the choice in the first place.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Verge confirmed him out of the running awhile back; he's not in. Not in this fighter's pass at least. Everyone's got a refreshed chance for Fighter's Pass 2
Don't bother. This guy ignores all leaks that go against what he would like being next. Or any leaks, for that matter.

I.D.

Smash Lord
It's more likely that Saber gets revealed at TGA, compared to either Reimu or Sakura. Because at least Saber has a huge fanbase in the West, even though her primary fanbase is in the East. And even then, I'd say Saber is unlikely to be revealed at TGA.
American spending barely accounts for 3% of Fate/Grand Order's revenue.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Don't bother. This guy ignores all leaks that go against what he would like being next. Or any leaks, for that matter.
actually verge was important for endgame speculation prior to ultimate's release.

he called kencineroar like two months prior IIRC

CharacterCrisisKing

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post
Verge confirmed him out of the running awhile back; he's not in. Not in this fighter's pass at least. Everyone's got a refreshed chance for Fighter's Pass 2
WHO IS THIS "VERGE", ON WHAT AUTHORITY DOES HE CHANGE OUR VIEWS ON THIS GAME, AND HOW MANY STIRKES TO THE FACE WITH A SHARP BATTLEAXE WOULD IT TAKE TO SLAY HIM?

Droodle

Smash Lord
When Sakurai decided on the DLC I highly doubt he thought about where they would revealed at and whether or not it would be a hit with the audience there. If Joker wasn't such a crazy reveal last year I doubt we'd even think that there will be a TGA reveal this year; which we have no clue about btw. Debating whether a character is hype enough for TGA seems like a pointless discussion when it never would have factored into the choice in the first place.
I agree with you, but the Doritos Pope has been hyping up the Joker reveal from last year over and over again.

Geoff, stop building up my expectations!

That said, at worst I expect a character near the level of Bayonetta in terms of popularity to finish the fighters pass; I think Phoenix Wright fits decently well for a reveal like this. At best, I imagine the skies are the limit, and we'd get a character like Sora in terms of popularity.

If the character was too "niche", it would have been better to reveal them ahead of TGA.

With the dry spell of character information since the September 4 direct, I think many people are building their expectations up too much; simply because there's "no way" Nintendo would end off in a bad way after so much waiting.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
actually verge was important for endgame speculation prior to ultimate's release.

he called kencineroar like two months prior IIRC
. . .What does that have to do with anything that I said? I in no way mentioned Vergeben, let alone dismissed him.

WHO IS THIS "VERGE", ON WHAT AUTHORITY DOES HE CHANGE OUR VIEWS ON THIS GAME, AND HOW MANY STIRKES TO THE FACE WITH A SHARP BATTLEAXE WOULD IT TAKE TO SLAY HIM?
Mh, little word of advice, buddy: If you want people to take you seriously? Talking like that isn't gonna achieve it.

D

Deleted member

Not sure they'll really do something at the Game Awards like last year (it seemed the perfect stage for the Persona reveal, but doesnt really fit others) but hopefully we'll get something on the anniversary of the game's release.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I agree with you, but the Doritos Pope has been hyping up the Joker reveal from last year over and over again.

Geoff, stop building up my expectations!

That said, at worst I expect a character near the level of Bayonetta in terms of popularity to finish the fighters pass; I think Phoenix Wright fits decently well for a reveal like this. At best, I imagine the skies are the limit, and we'd get a character like Sora in terms of popularity.

If the character was too "niche", it would have been better to reveal them ahead of TGA.

With the dry spell of character information since the September 4 direct, I think many people are building their expectations up too much; simply because there's "no way" Nintendo would end off in a bad way after so much waiting.
I'm wondering if we don't get two reveals in the near future. Both at TGA or otherwise. FP5 and the first character of the post DLC. Like you said, it's been a dry spell and FP5 should be releasing next month.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Now I know you have poor reading comprehension. I never said that Fortnite is of poor quality, and indeed I think it's a good game. What I was saying is that I don't think Fortnite became as big as it did because of its quality, but rather because of its status as a Twitch or Youtube-friendly game. I don't think it's fair to reward games for their success when that success doesn't stem from the game itself but rather outside elements; maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I feel like that taints the notion of having games looked at through their own merits instead of just looking at what's popular. It's not just Fortnite either, there are many "viral games" out there.
I don’t think that’s a fair way to assess this stuff. Youtube is pretty much free advertisement for a game, so of course that’s gonna play a part in said game’s success because it lets more people know about it or say “eh, it looks good, I’ll give it a shot.” It attracts people. If a game manages to have thousands or millions of players even after a long time, that’s a sure way to tell its quality, even if you don’t like it; maybe even the fact that a whole bunch of people want to make videos out of it in the first place, because they think it’s fun, they know people love it, or both. I guess Fortnite hasn’t lasted that long, though, and it does seem popular mainly because of viral stuff (though I’m sure it still has a big fanbase who genuinely love it and its gameplay), so eh, and I can’t personally judge it myself because I’ve played little of it + it doesn’t really interest me (not really into shooters, although Black OPs was fun to play with my younger bro and cousin)...

But really, Sakurai just picks whoever he and (maybe) Nintendo want or deem good for the wider audience while throwing the main fanbase some bones.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
How do you guys react if we get AIAI as a playable character?
Very happy, to be honest!
While I've never played the Monkey Ball games myself, I love the series' soundtrack, fun, colorful vibes, and the very unique archetype it'd introduce to Smash. A rolling ball character would be very fun to control and definitely seems like a Sakurai pick. I know a lot of people gravitate to Arle or Kiryu when it comes to the next SEGA rep, but if we don't get a second Sonic rep then Aiai would be my next in line for the next rep! Almost his entire library is on Nintendo systems and the Banana Blitz remake is on Switch, so he's got it in the bag!

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I doubt that we’ll get anything on the anniversary of Smash Ultimate.

The most well get is probably a tweet from NoA twitter, celebrating the one year anniversary, with a special video attached with bragging rights of Smash Ultimates stats since the game has been released. Have to remember the one year anniversary this year, is on a Saturday, so they probably won’t do much on the day of the anniversary.

We’d probably would also get something from the Game Award twitter account too possibly as a cheeky hint.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
K but the reasoning you originally used was basically "it makes complete sense because it would subvert expectations".

And now you want to justify the situation being different by falling back on conventional logic.
???

I really don't understand what you're getting at here since nothing you just said affects anything but okay.
Still very unlikely. I don't get how it makes sense. Both characters have 99% of their fanbases in Japan, so why would they reveal a character like that at TGA? Seems like a bad marketing move.

It's more likely that Saber gets revealed at TGA, compared to either Reimu or Sakura. Because at least Saber has a huge fanbase in the West, even though her primary fanbase is in the East. And even then, I'd say Saber is unlikely to be revealed at TGA.
Okay but Smash is the highest-selling fighting game ever so I'd say it's a pretty smart marketing move for any character.

(Also pretty counter-intuitive comparison since Fate's following is pretty underground in the West like the aformentioned characters.)

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I really don't understand what you're getting at here since nothing you just said affects anything but okay.
"PSYCHE YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO GET A MAINSTREAM CHARACTER BUT IT'S ACTUALLY SOME JAPANESE LITERALLY WHO, CONSIDER YOUR EXPECTATIONS SUBVERTED DUMB GAIJIN"
"Couldn't this reasoning apply to literally any other niche Japanese character, like Raymoo?"
"N-No, she doesn't count, my character is a lot bigger and more important"

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
YES

YES

YESSSSS

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE--

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I can't really see someone like Reimu or Sakura being the Smash reveal. Persona might be a relatively obscure series compared to something like Final Fantasy, but Persona 5 was still a huge hit that was nominated for, or won, numerous awards and was generally considered one of the best games of that year, or even that console generation. By contrast, a character so obscure that it would make even industry veterans/developers/journalists go "who?" doesn't seem like a great choice for a reveal at the Game Awards.

I could easily be wrong about this, but it seems like the most obscure (non-Nintendo) series that made it into Smash so far were Persona and Bayonetta, and both of those were still considered game-of-the-year material and reasons to buy the system(s) that they were exclusive to. Something like Touhou or Sakura Wars don't really seem to have made waves like those series have, which seems like a big issue when the ultimate goal of the DLC is to get people to buy it.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
When Sakurai decided on the DLC I highly doubt he thought about where they would be revealed at and whether or not it would be a hit with the audience there. If Joker wasn't such a crazy reveal last year I doubt we'd even think that there will be a TGA reveal this year; which we have no clue about btw. Debating whether a character is hype enough for TGA seems like a pointless discussion when it never would have factored into the choice in the first place.
You are completely correct, but there's really no point. People are willing to believe anything if it means increasing the likelihood of a Western rep. Nintendo can reveal anything at TGAs. Before Joker, they announced Bayo 3. The year before, they showed of first gameplay of Breath of the Wild. Absolutely nothing suggests that TGAs will have another Smash reveal besides the single instance of Joker being shown off last year. There are tons of more important titles for Nintendo to announce still, like showing gameplay footage of MP4 or BoTW2, both of which frankly have greater priority for Nintendo to push

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I have finally done it. After an hour of fiddling around with materials, my magnum opus is complete. Bask in its glory as we all collectively sob at the notion of not being able to play as any of these characters, unless some combination of them show up as newcomers post Pass.

What if you wanted.png

I.D.

Smash Lord
I could easily be wrong about this, but it seems like the most obscure (non-Nintendo) series that made it into Smash so far were Persona and Bayonetta, and both of those were still considered game-of-the-year material and reasons to buy the system(s) that they were exclusive to. Something like Touhou or Sakura Wars don't really seem to have made waves like those series have, which seems like a big issue when the ultimate goal of the DLC is to get people to buy it.
To be fair the closer we get to the end of the pass the safer it is for Sakurai to stick whatever niche crap he wants in there because most of the people who wanted the pass have bought by now and those who haven't were probably not going to be convinced by one extra character (I don't have the exact numbers at hand but the individual DLC sales are almost negligible compared to fighter's pass sales).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have finally done it. After an hour of fiddling around with materials, my magnum opus is complete. Bask in its glory as we all collectively sob at the notion of not being able to play as any of these characters, unless some combination of them show up as newcomers post Pass.

The choice in Dante image alone makes it a 10/10 ****post

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
"PSYCHE YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO GET A MAINSTREAM CHARACTER BUT IT'S ACTUALLY SOME JAPANESE LITERALLY WHO, CONSIDER YOUR EXPECTATIONS SUBVERTED DUMB GAIJIN"
"Couldn't this reasoning apply to literally any other niche Japanese character, like Raymoo?"
You know normally I would type some sort of response explaining it but tbh this post really makes me not feel like it's worth it lmao.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
You are completely correct, but there's really no point. People are willing to believe anything if it means increasing the likelihood of a Western rep. Nintendo can reveal anything at TGAs. Before Joker, they announced Bayo 3. The year before, they showed of first gameplay of Breath of the Wild. Absolutely nothing suggests that TGAs will have another Smash reveal besides the single instance of Joker being shown off last year. There are tons of more important titles for Nintendo to announce still, like showing gameplay footage of MP4 or BoTW2, both of which frankly have greater priority for Nintendo to push
Couldn't agree with this more, TBH.

While I do believe a Smash reveal is likely at TGA, I at the same time won't be surprised if there isn't one. People on this site tend to forget Nintendo isn't "The Smash Bros. Company" and has lots of other high profile games to push.

TGA reveal is not 100% confirmed, in my opinion.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I can't really see someone like Reimu or Sakura being the Smash reveal. Persona might be a relatively obscure series compared to something like Final Fantasy, but Persona 5 was still a huge hit that was nominated for, or won, numerous awards and was generally considered one of the best games of that year, or even that console generation. By contrast, a character so obscure that it would make even industry veterans/developers/journalists go "who?" doesn't seem like a great choice for a reveal at the Game Awards.

That's currently my fear atm. Not just with a super-casual event like the Game Awards, but with announcement ties in general. Imagine wanting a vintage rep whose presence in gaming is prevalent all throughout its history, while remaining obscure by Western standards, and only having E3 or a shadow Direct for the hope of being legible for announcement.

You already potentially share a spot with someone more recognizable at E3, so your character gets booed either way. Outside of a huge event like that, there's really not much else to squeeze in. I feel like Terry was lucky in some regard because we didn't have to expect something mondo-huge over him during a regular 'ol Nintendy episode.

Couldn't agree with this more, TBH.

While I do believe a Smash reveal is likely at TGA, I at the same time won't be surprised if there isn't one. People on this site tend to forget Nintendo isn't "The Smash Bros. Company" and has lots of other high profile games to push.

TGA reveal is not 100% confirmed, in my opinion.
It's just a matter of avoiding another news drought. Fifth character is completely unknown, more characters beyond that were already teased, and we're slowly moving toward the next year. The lust for information creeps in all the time, and considering how underwhelming TGA tends to be, it's kinda hard looking forward to new announcements or grand updates there.

D

Deleted member

Thing is no matter how ninch sakura is to the west shes Is sega property a company A company that’s in smash that not only has they’re mascot :ultsonic: but also not big characters like arle or yakuza but little known characters like:ultbayonetta:&:ultjoker:. So they can reveal any character of theirs they want because sega is a multinatonal than reimu an indie with no localization in the West

this make no sence at all what I said dosent it?

blackghost

Smash Champion
when people say characters like bayonetta or joker are "little known" i really want a definition on what that category looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom