• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I juuuuust realized that if we got Sol Badguy in Smash, Dizzy probably wouldn’t be repped in any form because something something “good boys and girls”.

Truth be told, I prefer Ky but Sol is just as good and he’s the main character so...
I-No would be just as likely to get good boy'd.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I don't think I asked this in this thread before (and if I did, it was ages ago), but try adding five characters to Smash, only you can't add anyone older than three years. Has to be 2017 or later, but both first and third-parties are welcome.

Just wanted to see what people consider to be notable in the past three years. Incineroar and technically Hero are the newest characters, so we don't have a lot from recent games.
Just 2B for me. Not particularly interested in anyone else.

I don't think any other character would be as interesting as her. From music, move design, stage, etc, I think 2B has it all covered.

D

Deleted member

I-No would be more likely to get good boy'd.
Yeah, as a GG fan myself, I'd say that I-No would be on the other end of the Mai treatment. Should we get a stage with character cameos again, I'm leaning more on the staple roster people; Faust, Ptemkin, Millia, Zato-1, etc., but no I-No.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Unlike Sheik, K. Rool appeared in SEVERAL games... that were released around 20 years ago. Still, "semi-retired recurring villain" has more relevancy than "one-off side character", if we're doing the whole relevance olympics thing.
Yeah but guess which gaming series the general public plays more: Zelda. Everyone knows Zelda over DKC and wanting Sheik removed for “relevancy” reasons is peak Smash bubble.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Just 2B for me. Not particularly interested in anyone else.

I don't think any other character would be as interesting as her. From music, move design, stage, etc, I think 2B has it all covered.
Oh absolutely, I do think it is possible that the Fighter Pass starts with a modern star in Joker and then ends with another modern star in 2B. :p

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
>people beg for K.Rool to be added
>want Sheik removed
wtf?
To be honest it could have just been Impa fanboys, as they usually wanted her to replace Sheik. Now that we have echo fighters though, I'm just gonna throw up a big "Why not both?".

EDIT: Come to think of it, it could have also been one person. I do have a tendency to imprint one's beliefs on the many.

Last edited:

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
>people beg for K.Rool to be added
>want Sheik removed
wtf?
Krool is the still the main villain of donkey Kong and he’s loved to the point people want him to keep recurring.

Sheik was cool from her game but most people arent crying for her to return because she’s just Zelda in another costume.

D

Deleted member

To be honest it could have just been Impa fanboys, as they usually wanted her to replace Sheik. Now that we have echo fighters though, I'm just gonna throw up a big "Why not both?".
If you were to ask me, who pockets Sheik, I think my opinion of giving Impa a moveset would be to give Impa slower moves for more damage. But yeah, I could see that being the go-to explanation.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Yeah but guess which gaming series the general public plays more: Zelda. Everyone knows Zelda over DKC and wanting Sheik removed for “relevancy” reasons is peak Smash bubble.
By that logic Geno would be an even better inclusion, because everyone knows Mario over Zelda, nevermind that we're talking one-off characters from two series and a recurring villain from a third. K. Rool at least had more recent new appearances thanks to the GBA era and Mario Baseball.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If you were to ask me, who pockets Sheik, I think my opinion of giving Impa a moveset would be to give Impa slower moves for more damage.
This was a horrible design choice for Dr. Mario, but since Shiek is one of the faster characters and her weakness is a lack of damage output it might just make the entire character viable. lol

Well, duh, we need a vanilla Ring Fit Trainer and a bone-claws Ring Fit Trainer.
Don't forget Ademantium Ring Fit Trainer.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I don't think I asked this in this thread before (and if I did, it was ages ago), but try adding five characters to Smash, only you can't add anyone older than three years. Has to be 2017 or later, but both first and third-parties are welcome.

Just wanted to see what people consider to be notable in the past three years. Incineroar and technically Hero are the newest characters, so we don't have a lot from recent games.
  • Akira Howard (Astral Chain)
  • Twintelle (ARMS)
  • Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
  • Erik (Dragon Quest XI)
  • Darli Dagger (Samurai Shodown)

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
As somone posted an earlier picture today. Imagine and double reveal of both Master Chief and Kratos with Mario between them and an Smash Logo in the background.

The internet would explode.
Thatd be too dangerous of a reveal. The entire earth would quake. Oceans would rise and wipe out civilizations. Thousands will become homeless.

Might be worth it tho idfk

D

Deleted member

This was a horrible design choice for Dr. Mario, but since Shiek is one of the faster characters and her weakness is a lack of damage output it might just make the entire character viable. lol
It pains me everytime all my combos do ****. God, I wish I had Melee when she was at her best!

Thatd be too dangerous of a reveal. The entire earth would quake. Oceans would rise and wipe out civilizations. Thousands will become homeless.

Might be worth it tho idfk
You...over-exaggerate a bit too much. Sorry if I seem offensive. Just...hype responsibly. -_-

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Unlike Sheik, K. Rool appeared in SEVERAL games... that were released around 20 years ago. Still, "semi-retired recurring villain" has more relevancy than "one-off side character", if we're doing the whole relevance olympics thing.
I mean Sheik just got a decently big role in Hyrule Warriors (a game that has also exploded the popularity of Impa). Of course if we are including spin offs, K. Rool appeared in Mario Super Sluggers as well, which is a little less recent (Wii Era compared to Wii U and Switch era for HW) but still somewhat there. Both of them are still somewhat relevant, if we wanted to take out all irrelevant characters we might as well look at Ness and Captain Falcon as well (and maybe a third of the roster).

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Krool is the still the main villain of donkey Kong and he’s loved to the point people want him to keep recurring.

Sheik was cool from her game but most people arent crying for her to return because she’s just Zelda in another costume.
By “people” I think you mean “hardcore Smash fans”.
By that logic Geno would be an even better inclusion, because everyone knows Mario over Zelda, nevermind that we're talking one-off characters from two series and a recurring villain from a third. K. Rool at least had more recent new appearances thanks to the GBA era and Mario Baseball.
SMRPG wasn’t a mainline Mario game, it was a spin-off. Besides, Sheik has been in every Smash since Melee and has been in Hyrule Warriors for Wii U and the Complete Edition for Switch so she’s had more recent appearances.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

2B
Rex, and Pyra
Min-Min
The Tales Of Arise protag
Zeraora-ora-ora

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Because of this, I will only truly support Dixie, because the more Sakurai overlooks her, the bigger her support base will grow. That, and I'm pretty sure we'll be getting more DKC games at this point :p
Dixie Kong is the last characters I would really like to see as well. However, I would disagree with you. Her fanbase growing over time is not likely to happen. Many things that we thought were going to cause her to gain more attention (K. Rool being confirmed, Banjo-Kazooie being confirmed), did not result in a anything changing in regards to the Smash Bubble taking more notice of her. Even the recent mania about a lack of female newcomers, has not changed much about her requests.

Secondly, we are already nearing six years since the last wholly new Donkey Kong title. To put that gap of time in perspective, this is now the longest gap of time between Donkey Kong platformers ever (the previous longest gap of time was between 1999's Donkey Kong 64 and 2004's DK Jungle Beat).

Right now Retro Studios, the developer of the last two DK platformers, is making Metroid Prime 4, and that game probably will not be out until late 2021, or possibly even 2022. That means even if they finish up Prime 4 in 2021 and immediately work on another DK title afterward, we would not see another DK title from them until 2023 at the absolute soonest.

The DK brand is in very dire straits. The last spinoff the series received was all the way back in 2007 (most of them were not good though), and the last time any DK characters aside from Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong appeared in a Mario spinoff was all the way back in 2008 (Mario Super Sluggers and Mario Kart Wii).

Dixie Kong has a very uncertain future. I can easily see a situation where another DK title does not happen until some time into the the mid 2020s.

As such Dixie Kong has little chance of building her fanbase without new material or relevancy (she has no bandwagon or cult following within the Smash Bubble so her trajectory will be more similar to characters like Krystal), I think unless the Smash fanbase collectively realizes how much of a conspicuous absence she is, there is little chance she becomes very highly requested in the coming years

Dixie is the undying light! Her flame will never burn out!
It has depreciated in a very big way. At one point during pre-Smash 4, Dixie Kong was within the Top 10 (only behind Ridley and K. Rool as far as newcomers go at her apex), to dropping to the Top 20 within the Ultimate base character period, and now she is outside the Top 20. It is going to get worse for her as time goes on as her source material fades from memory, and the people that feel nostalgic for Rare's material gradually leave the Smash Bubble.

She does not have a cult following within the Smash Bubble so stuff like this is going to to hurt her over time (it already has).

I think one thing that has to happen is for a change of perspective about DKC3. I strongly feel that game is a fantastic platformer and overall a stronger title than DKC1, yet the conventional opinion online is that its Rare's weakest DK title (DK64 has much more issues objectively, and DKC1 was rough around the edges in several places). Personally, I think DKC3 is actually Rare's second best DK platformer, behind only DKC2 itself, and DKC3 even does a few things better than DKC2. Also, I do not know why Dixie is overlooked as a star of DKC2. Heck, the Japanese subtitle for it is literally "Dixie & Diddy".

So yeah, in regards to her "flame", she is going to be a very dim one in the coming years unless things change regarding her circumstances.

Dixie is a shonen protag at this point. The more she gets snubbed, the stronger she gets. > : )
That is actually the opposite of what has happened to Dixie. It seems the more she gets snubbed, the less people care, or at least the Smash Bubble. However, maybe my perspective is wrong.

It's over now but use private messages next time for that ffs.

This but make him low tier.
I very strongly expect Geno to be top tier when he becomes playable, or at least very high tier. You can time stamp this post, I feel that confident in this happening.

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I juuuuust realized that if we got Sol Badguy in Smash, Dizzy probably wouldn’t be repped in any form because something something “good boys and girls”.

Truth be told, I prefer Ky but Sol is just as good and he’s the main character so...
Watch them use this picture.

I would also prefer Ky over Sol but I'll take anything for the songs alone.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
By “people” I think you mean “hardcore Smash fans”.

SMRPG wasn’t a mainline Mario game, it was a spin-off. Besides, Sheik has been in every Smash since Melee and has been in Hyrule Warriors for Wii U and the Complete Edition for Switch so she’s had more recent appearances.
Saying that a character is relevant because they've been in Smash is kind of a circular argument, don't you think?

D

Deleted member

I very strongly expect Geno to be top tier when he becomes playable, or at least very high tier. You can time stamp this post, I feel that confident in this happening.
Well, Geno's hypthetical tier placement is very strange for me. I had this stigma that any character released for free would be seen as low-tier (this is just my assumption). Should Geno be free, I doubt the devs would give him a worthy moveset of a top tier.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman

• 2B
  • Astral Chain MC
  • Three Houses rep (Byleth/Edelgard)
  • Sword/Shield rep
  • Tales of Arise MC
Edit: Got the "2017 or later" confused with the "past five years". My bad. Replaced Noctis with the Tales of Arise MC.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like this prompt. Allows me to look into what I played recently
  1. Three Houses rep
    1. I did not want a new Fire Emblem character, but that all changed after I played Three Houses. The game rectifies a lot of cliches and tropes I got sick of with FE stories and I think its gameplay encourages multiple playthroughs. It took the accessibility of Awakening and the premise of Fates, and merged the two to create an honest to God timeless Fire Emblem game.
    2. There's merit to every house leader and Byleth. Byleth is the main avatar so he'd be the one I expect. I think he'd be interesting if Sakurai took from a lot of Three Houses crazy mechanics like being able to use every weapon in the game or leading other Three Houses characters.
    3. Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude deconstruct the typical lord you'd have in a normal Fire Emblem game and they create a fresh perspective I've longed for with the series. Any of them would be cool. They also use not-swords if you care about that sort of thing.
  2. Rex and Pyra/Mythra
    1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a mixed bag for me. There are a ton of things I just do not appreciate, and then there are things I really enjoyed. One of the things I like was Pyra and Mythra because I wanted to see how their conflicts were resolved. Their designs are complete fanservice and I don't like that, but I do like their designs none the less.
    2. Rex is okay. His personality is bland, his voice actor needs work, he doesn't really grow beyond being slightly nicer to Pyra and Mythra, and he hogs the spotlight way too much. Despite that, he was my favorite character to play as (especially in Chapter 7 onward). I'd be fine with him.
  3. Hat Kid and Bow Kid
    1. Hat in Time is one of my top 3 indie games. Its writing, music, gameplay, and worlds are just so damn endearing. Plus she cute and I will protect her
  4. Leon from RE 2 Remake counts. Refer to Jones post as to why RE would be cool.
  5. Soul Calibur 6 released in 2018 so it counts. What I'm liking about this game is it's basically a reboot and it is mostly based around Soul Calibur 2. While some characters are missing (like Necrid, Charade, Lizardman, and Yun-seong), it's pretty much a love letter and looks amazing.
    1. Honestly, anybody from the Soul Calibur 2 roster would make me happy. Literally anyone. Literally. Mitsurugi, Necrid, Taki, Talim, Sophitia, Rapheal, Kilik, Xianghua, Maxi, Yun-seong, Yoshimitsu, Nightmare, Ivy, Cervantes, Cassandra, Asteroth, Voldo, Seung Mina, Lizardman, even the god damn Assassin and Berserkers.
    2. Realistically, it'd probably be Nightmare and I'm fine with that. He's iconic for the series.

Last edited by a moderator:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Besides, Sheik has been in every Smash since Melee and has been in Hyrule Warriors for Wii U and the Complete Edition for Switch so she’s had more recent appearances.
"this smash character has been in smash more times so they deserve to be in smash more"
"SMRPG was a spinoff but Hyrule Warriors counts for Sheik"
gold medal, you win the relevance olympics

Night Gale

Smash Ace
When instead of if. I need this level of confidence with the characters I support. Sheeeeeit.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Saying that a character is relevant because they've been in Smash is kind of a circular argument, don't you think?
True enough. I guess I was just thinking they’ve been getting exposure to the public. Either way there’s still Hyrule Warriors.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One question so I'm on the same level as everyone else, what the crap is a Sakura War? Is it what happens when Ryu gets too many High-school girl fans?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Pass. Absolute pass.

That is a ruleset tailor made to avoid all of my interest.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If I must be blunt the "Banjo is the exception of western characters" statement feels a little bit like goalpost moving. Of course by all means he could be and we'll never get Crash, Doomguy, Maxwell and the like but we'll never know that for sure until the DLC is over, and why did Snake/Cloud kill the "connection to Nintendo" rule but Banjo didn't do the same with the "no western characters" rule and was instead considered the exception that proved it?
Let's be clear here: It's an inference and nothing more. In itself it's a hypothetical to narrow down the potential options just for Fighter 5. What I'm suggesting doesn't apply to picks after #5. I'd actually be surprised if there isn't a western pick coming for Picks 6-???.

I think there's an incredibly high chance of more western franchises post-pass; I'm not implying there wouldn't be more post-pass as if Banjo is the "ultimate exception". I'm simply throwing it out there that for the Fighter Pass he may very well be one, and not be accompanied by another western 3rd party.

Just another way of figuring out who Fighter 5 is, my guy.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Heres something we can all agree on:

Corrin is the worst addition in Smash Bros history.
At least Corrin has a fun and interesting moveset

I think sakurai said it best

"It doesn't mater if they're well known, as long as they're fun to play"

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
"this smash character has been in smash more times so they deserve to be in smash more"
"SMRPG was a spinoff but Hyrule Warriors counts for Sheik"
gold medal, you win the relevance olympics
Bruh you were trying to use Mario Baseball for K.Rool.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Heres something we can all agree on:

Corrin is the worst addition in Smash Bros history.
Stole and robbed what should had been Elma's spot. We have enough Fire Emblem reps as it is as oppose to Xenoblades only 1 rep.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So after looking at all the responses, it seems like most people want similar things, but not the same character.

ARMS, Three Houses, Astral Chain, and SwSh were all very popular, but those who gave a specific character were split up amongst the responses (Spring Man/Ribbon Girl/Twintelle, Byleth/Edelgard, Officer Howard/Akira Howard, etc.)

2B and Ring Fit Trainer were frequently and specifically mentioned by many of you.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I feel like everyone is sleeping on Kratos.

Sony was just involved in a Smash event.

Perfect type of reveal for the VGAs.
I don't think anyone's sleeping on Kratos because a Sony character is almost like Goku or Ironman at this moment.

Hey, I would love Kratos because I love God of War, and having Bayonetta vs Dante vs Kratos would be a dream. I don't support him actively because I think that a Sony rep is impossible. Maybe in the future, but he's not happening soon. I'm betting my avatar that he isn't FP5.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom