• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Anyone else expecting all kinds of crazy stuff to go down every time they go to sleep these past few days?
Pretty much. Go to bed, wake up later. See an update from Smash Bros Twitter page, stating "The game series X are now Spirits, ready for capture, and for your enjoyment."

See that it's your favorite Series/character, go back to bed and cry yourself to sleep.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pretty much. Go to bed, wake up later. See an update from Smash Bros Twitter page, stating "The game series X are now Spirits, ready for capture, and for your enjoyment."

See that it's your favorite Series/character, go back to bed and cry yourself to sleep.
I'd be thrilled to see my favorite series in the game at all considering it's not a game series and is thus ineligible :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

Imagine this thing happening to other favorite franchises. If Nintendo is going to abuse this system I don't know what's next for Christ's sake.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

On one hand, I'd be happy that my favourite franchise finally got some recognition in Smash.
On the other... Sad Pikachu face...

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Imagine this thing happening to other favorite franchises. If Nintendo is going to abuse this system I don't know what's next for Christ's sake.
"Get ready to rip and tear into this next spirit event! For a limited time, four brand new spirits from the Doom series will appear on the Spirit Board in Super #SmashBrosUltimate"

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sony owns the Death Stranding IP. This is known almost since they announced the game. https://trademarks.justia.com/871/07/death-87107685.html
Current Trademark Owners
Party Name

SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT LLC
Party Type
- 2nd New Owner After Publication
Legal Entity Type
- Limited Liability Company

Also, anyone who has the game can check it. The trademark appears in the menu and of course, the end credits. Sam would be a Sony rep, but I guess Sony would ask Kojima first if he's okay with that. In any case it's not happening, at least for now, haha
That's weird, I was sure Sony didn't own it because it's getting a PC release down the line.

It might be a weird situation, for example the Quantic Dream games also have the copyright for Sony in game, yet they got ported to PC without Sony's input.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

serious talk... how likelyyou guys think Sam Bridges may be fp5?

Is completely under teh radar, left field, dunno if i want, and doesn't make much sense.... but is completely a possibility IMO.
Only one of the few characters I would put at zero chance due to using the likeness of an actor. Just like Samanosuke from Onimusha.

D

Deleted member

well I give that less credit since Milk Bosatsu knew about that. However, the codename is hard evidence the guy is a real developer. Codenames for each character WERE ONLY released for each character at their launch.
Honestly the cat leaker is quite confusing as hell, but if he gets KOS-MOS right, it'll be sooooo insane. Literally everyone is now gonna put up the cat face and it'll be as memetic as the Thumbs Up Ken.

So any new info?
Noen as of the moment. I'm impatient too but it's best just chillax right now.

D

Deleted member

Okay explain how the cat poster knew Banjo's codename correctly and got both dual reveals at E3 right then?
Idk but he must have been part of the team or just saw the files or somthing. And someone thought it be funny to act like that poster and idk, talk about 3 characters we’ve known in leaks before that?

Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester N O P E

Last edited by a moderator:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
While at a thanksgiving gathering me and my cousin were talking about the idea of Sora in smash, and we came up with an idea that sounds broken but very much like something that would actually be given to him to differentiate him from other characters on the roster.

Give him a wall jump like certain other characters, but in addition give him one or 2 of his Flowmotion attacks from the 3DS game, is he walljumps and there's an enemy nearby he grabs them and throws them to the ground, if there isn't he just flies off and after a certain distance he does a spin attack.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Idk but he must have been part of the team or just saw the files or somthing. And someone thought it be funny to act like that poster and idk, talk about 3 characters we’ve known in leaks before that?
I believe that 2nd cat pic is an imitator and IMO the same person who said that FP4 was an "Obscure female with mech" and would be revealed on September 12th. Because on that same day, that "Cat leak" came out.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace

Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester N O P E
I've never seen Reimu in leaks besides cat and the 5chan one. The 5chan one was even after the 2nd cat poster..... KOS-MOS has been in fake leaks during base game for sure. I'm not denying that but eventually people 100% forgot about her and then after Joker she was talked about a lot more cause of Reggie's interview.

And also you seem to really trust so called insiders like Fatmanonice so I ask you this. Cat leak 2 said Haya is post pass BEFORE Verg. How do you explain that?

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Which character or company will be the next to be deconfirmed? My bet is Bethesda.

That's weird, I was sure Sony didn't own it because it's getting a PC release down the line.

It might be a weird situation, for example the Quantic Dream games also have the copyright for Sony in game, yet they got ported to PC without Sony's input.
Yeah, haha. Well Quantic Dream games were published on PC with Sony's approval, of course. That was a deal with Epic Games if I remember right. With Death Stranding I guess it was some type of condition from Kojima and Sony agreed. Which honestly it's a bit strange for me because besides the fact of owning and publishing the game they gave Kojima the Horizon Zero Dawn engine.

Selenite

Smash Cadet

Sony has released games on other platforms before such as Q*bert on the Game Boy Color, Tiny Metal on the Nintendo Switch, Twisted Metal on PC. This isn't anything new for Sony to do.

D

Deleted member

An interesting thing is that currently it seems that minor Bamco and Capcom characters seem to be harder to disconfirm, wonder if its due to not caring or legit there is no info about them currently.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I’m honestly just getting sick of these games at this point. It was fun for the first couple of times, but unless we get info that actually changes our idea that the fifth rep will be Lloyd/Namco/Capcom, the information we’re getting has ultimately been meaningless in creating good speculation, only disdain in those who wanted these characters/companies in.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
uh.. since death stranding is coming to PC i assumed Sony didn't had such a big stake in death stranding, obviously wrong.

That being said... a lot of teh arguments against that characters felt that would been arguments against snake or phiranna plant.

Norman reedus likeness and otherwise potential royalties on teh other hand, may hold more weight...

just... i don't know if i want it.. but i totally is teh kind of move that is not outside of sakurai's and kojima´s scope.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Jon from Gamexplain has thoughts about speculation. I hope his guess about FP5 is right
So what I'm getting from this is that it's down to Ashley Mizuki Robbins and Bug.

Also that Jon's hypothetical, alternate-universe, 1st-party, Fighter's Pass was a Ladies Night affair. >_>

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
0%.
First because it's super recent.
Second because it's owned by Sony.

And well, the character is played by Norman Reedus. The character itself is originated from videogames, yeah, but I don't know.
But if he does get in I'd have some fun making Walking Dead jokes for a bit at least

D

Deleted member

There is no proof that the second cat leak is the same guy nor that it isn't just some guy ****posting. That's the nature of the beast called 4chan, the anonymity means it's easy to claim to be someone else who posted a legit leak.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Jon from Gamexplain has thoughts about speculation. I hope his guess about FP5 is right
Not sure he could have talked about this with any less nuance than he did. Sure, spirits might not deconfirm in the future DLC but they pretty clearly do for the fighters pass, otherwise Pirahna Plant would have gotten one. Same for ATs, otherwise it wouldn't have made sense to put them in the game as ATs in the first place. And no, Rex is very obviously not DLC 5 otherwise we wouldn't have had the whole segment on his Mii Costume in the final base roster direct. I don't care that Captain Falcon has a Mii Costume in the game, that doesn't matter for Rex. Same for anyone who has had one added in for this game. For the post pass DLC who knows, but for the fighters pass, come on GameExplain.

D

Deleted member

I believe that 2nd cat pic is an imitator and IMO the same person who said that FP4 was an "Obscure female with mech" and would be revealed on September 12th. Because on that same day, that "Cat leak" came out.
I’ve been Trying to say that

but they never listen

Plank08

Smash Lord
Not sure he could have talked about this with any less nuance than he did. Sure, spirits might not deconfirm in the future DLC but they pretty clearly do for the fighters pass, otherwise Pirahna Plant would have gotten one. Same for ATs, otherwise it wouldn't have made sense to put them in the game as ATs in the first place. And no, Rex is very obviously not DLC 5 otherwise we wouldn't have had the whole segment on his Mii Costume in the final base roster direct. I don't care that Captain Falcon has a Mii Costume in the game, that doesn't matter for Rex. Same for anyone who has had one added in for this game. For the post pass DLC who knows, but for the fighters pass, come on GameExplain.
Plant was planned for base game so that’s why he only had a fighter spirit

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
There is no proof that the second cat leak is the same guy nor that it isn't just some guy ****posting. That's the nature of the beast called 4chan, the anonymity means it's easy to claim to be someone else who posted a legit leak.
I personally don’t believe that the second leak is real mainly due to the lack of a codename for any character, especially Terry, as this is a defining and essential aspect of the first one. It’s also important to note that the first one only mentioned Banjo and Hero, who were both revealed a week after the post. The second one mentions characters to be announced MONTHS before their reveals and also talks about characters who will be revealed separately from each other.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah. Literally everything he said here was said on this very thread to the point where I already knew the counterargument to every word. While I don't agree that there's any evidence suggesting that spirits disconfirm characters (just that there isn't any evidence saying they don't other than it hasn't happened), but I do agree that there's no way they would add a Mii costume of Rex to please fans who wanted him in knowing full well that he would get in later in the very thing you have to purchase to get the knock-off. It's kind of a waste of resources.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
One thing that this video has convinced me of: we need the Merchant from Resident Evil 4 to be brought back. "What're ya buyin'?"

I think I'd be okay with whatever character makes it in, first party or third party. (within reason, anyway - I feel like I'm more open-minded about who gets in now that long-time wants like K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo have made it in, and Snake's back) Even though I feel like seven Fire Emblem characters is excessive, to say the least, I'd be okay with Edelgard making it in, for example. (I haven't played any of the other routes yet)

However, I'm worried that this community is going to tear itself apart if we don't get a character announcement at or around the Game Awards - we're in the process of a two- or three-week-long game of Guess Who with various leakers, and I'm not sure how much more of this people can take. (both the leakers themselves and the rest of the community, since I'm sure that the leakers don't want to risk outing their sources)

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Wasn't it more because Decidueye fulfilled the non-existent "starter trio" quota? People definitely ignored Incineroar and Primarina at first because "we already have Charizard and Greninja."
That was certainly why *I* backed him.

Seriously what is falcom
A company that's mostly famous for older school RPGs that never got particularly big over here.

Primarily the Ys action rpg franchise and the Dragon Slayer franchise(a weird franchise where every game in the series was completely different from the last, and they all got localized in NA as separate series, like NES classics Faxanadu and Legacy of the Wizard), but is mostly known these days for the Legend of Heroes strategy RPGs which grew into it's own franchise out of Dragon Slayer 6.

Even if Vergeben deconfirmed Falcom for Fighter Pack 5, I think a Falcom character will happen sooner or later. Adol Christin and Estelle Bright would both be real cool to see, and the former has a huge legacy spanning over 30 years.
I'd prefer Estelle as she's at least not...ya know...an anime swordsman...

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I've never seen Reimu in leaks besides cat and the 5chan one. The 5chan one was even after the 2nd cat poster..... KOS-MOS has been in fake leaks during base game for sure. I'm not denying that but eventually people 100% forgot about her and then after Joker she was talked about a lot more cause of Reggie's interview.

And also you seem to really trust so called insiders like Fatmanonice so I ask you this. Cat leak 2 said Haya is post pass BEFORE Verg. How do you explain that?
What Reggie interview?

D

Deleted member

It's probably a miracle that no one is getting deconfirmed today. In my place at least. Pretty much everyone is sweating bullets after yesterday's events. Back then, once people get a leak, it'll be tons of advanced celebration. Now, it's more like the countdown to getting your hopes crushed coz honestly, the higher-ups are starting to get really off-putting to say the least.

My guts say that we're getting another fighting game character to "bring balance to the Fighters Pass", as we already have 2 JRPGs, a platformer, and a fighting game rep. I don't usually make theories like this but it's something I'd feel like sharing, if everyone is okay with it.

We're just a matter of time before the Game Awards. Assuming we do get a reveal, I honestly don't think it'll be a "niche character". You're broadcasting your biggest announcement to kick-start Season 2 and you show us said niche character, then everyone's probably rolling eyes. If the Pass will end with a niche character, they probably want to reveal it in a Smash Bros Direct some time before the Game Awards.

I just wish that after all of this, everyone would be at least impressed and welcome the characters with open arms. If anything, it's gonna truly be a great December for the community.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. Literally everything he said here was said on this very thread to the point where I already knew the counterargument to every word. While I don't agree that there's any evidence suggesting that spirits disconfirm characters (just that there isn't any evidence saying they don't other than it hasn't happened), but I do agree that there's no way they would add a Mii costume of Rex to please fans who wanted him in knowing full well that he would get in later in the very thing you have to purchase to get the knock-off. It's kind of a waste of resources.
Rex's mii costume is a weird one though considering you can only get it through purchasing the fighter's pass, while all the other ones are available seperately. If they simply wanted to please Xenoblade fans it would've been far more convenient to just offer him individually and not force people to spend $25 to get a consolation costume. Considering not everyone will be eager to immediately spend more money after purchasing a game it's a bit weird to me.

Not sure if it makes Rex more likely at all but it's something that's always bothered me a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom