• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
What Blizzard did was way worse than that.
Granted, I'm raising the point of Nintendo working with Tencent despite Tencent being instrumental in creating China's infamous Social Credit system (through WeChat, which they own) and helping to create the facial recognition systems there. That's worse than Blitzchung (not that I'm declaring Blizzards' higher ups innocent there).

(By the by, there are companies there who offer ways to beat said facial recognition systems. China's, again, a paradoxical place of control and grey / black market.)

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Major oof for Doom Guy and Gordon... But that means Cortez can take over. TIME. TO. SPLIT.

Strong disagree here. While it's true that Sakurai can take some creative liberties as he said with Terry with his Up air and Aerial Power Wave, He did reject Heihachi for being difficult to implement. If it doesn't matter if Sakurai is true to the source material or not, why did he stop Heihachi from being in Smash 4 if he could just take creative liberties to make him work? Probably because he wanted to keep him true to the Tekken series as much as he could.

So I argue that Sakurai does pick characters based on how well he can keep them true to the series they come from. It may not be the case for First Party characters but third party characters it is. Even with Pac-Man, lots of his moves are based on the Pac-Maze and Pac-Land games like the Smash attacks, Neutral- B, Side-B and Down-B. The only odd one out is his Up-B based on Mappy. Shame that he uses nothing from the Pac-Man World games though.
Not getting butt bounce as down air is bad enough, but no music from Pac-Man World 2 is such a missed opportunity.

https://youtu.be/ZFbGSJIWccI
https://youtu.be/5NvmH0Cmcr8
https://youtu.be/96g4RbEHl6A

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Y'all are all like "Namco, niche, 1st party, or existing company getting another rep," for FP5, when we could very well end up getting a huge game changer from a company that doesn't have any playable characters yet.
Tbh this is why I'm leaning towards it being Ezio. Assassin's Creed is a huge franchise and with how buddy-buddy Ubisoft and Nintendo have been, I'm kinda shocked they don't have a character yet. I mean they were the ones singlehandedly keeping the Wii alive with Just Dance, so I feel like they deserve some kind of recognition for that. Regardless of how you feel about the series, you can't deny that it'd get a huge reaction, especially at the Game Awards.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I would absolutely LOVE Ezio! Question is, how is Assassins Creed received in Japan? Does it review or sell well?

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Tbh this is why I'm leaning towards it being Ezio. Assassin's Creed is a huge franchise and with how buddy-buddy Ubisoft and Nintendo have been, I'm kinda shocked they don't have a character yet. I mean they were the ones singlehandedly keeping the Wii alive with Just Dance, so I feel like they deserve some kind of recognition for that. Regardless of how you feel about the series, you can't deny that it'd get a huge reaction, especially at the Game Awards.
Man, I can't wait for Just Dance Avatar to be added.

It has so much Nintendo history.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
*gasp* You mean nobodies deconfirming characters might not mean anything? What a novel line of thinking!
I don't really care for your sarcasm but assuming Vergeben and Sabi's source is real (and questioning Vergeben having sources seems silly considering the accuracy of his predictions in the past), noone really seemed to take potential leakbait into account. And most people seem to work under the assumption that said list are actually deconfirmations anyway, so I was just throwing that out there.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Japan loves AC in contrary to what many will tell you to the point FF14 crossed over with it alongside Garo and Half Life
That's great to hear! I just remembered that Ezio appeared in Soul Calibur 5 too, so there's a Bamco connection.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
In light of the FP #5 exodus from the past couple of days, who do you guys think is the most likely character now before any more deconfirmations happen? I'm betting on Lloyd or Chosen Undead atm.
Either a Capcom character, or Sakura Shinguji

KatKit

Smash Lord
Honestly, which “game changer” companies don’t have characters yet? The only one I can think of at the moment is Sony, but a Sony rep seems unlikely to begin with.
Seemingly a "this'll never happen" company, but no doubt a game changer. A Sims rep is slept on and would be awesome and the biggest WTF pick of all time.

They stuck with Nintendo "Through the difficult times," and had launch titles on the Wii, Wii U, and Switch. They were on the strong 3rd party support train long before the Switch popularized it and never got off. Very loyal; very popular.

Absolute masters of their craft. I can write a Sari style essay about them. Nuff said. Synonymous with "perfect recreation". Became more of a household name after DBFZ.

The SNK equivalent of the JRPG world. Their influence on video game music and their respective genre (JRPGs) is taken for granted. They could use international exposure. They've been in the game for quite some time, but for good reason. They're also very generous/easy to work with when it comes to crossovers.

Not a juggernaught per se, but I'm kinda surprised they don't have a rep yet. I still consider this a game changer.

Even if Doom isn't FP5, they still have a lot going for them. Been pretty cozy with Nintendo.

The times are changing, and the mobile market is a money maker. We have Nintendo making original series for mobile and popular mobile-only franchises are entering the console scene. Dragalia Lost and Granblue Fantasy come to mind and this company is involved with both.

Koei Tecmo is another one, if Ryu isn't FP5. There's Dynasty Warriors, e.g.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So 2 things I've come to terms with currently:

-There is an extremely high chance the final Fighter's Pass character will be a Namco one.
-If Spirits do deconfirm, then Porky has a high chance of being a post Pass character due to being the only major Earthbound/Mother character to have no Spirits at all when they did the anniversary event.
The reason why people say spirits deconfirm is because DLC characters are likely to be unrepresented 3rd Parties, not because a PNG will literally prevent them from being put in the game.
If Spirits do deconfirm, that means there will almost certainly be no 1st Parties and no characters from already repped series. It’s not that the Spirits themselves deconfirm, it’s the idea of all the DLC being from unrepresented 3rd Parties that likely deconfirm characters that are already spirits, there is literally nothing stopping them from theoretically upgrading a Spirit.

The only way we get 1st Parties are if Spirits don’t deconfirm. If Spirits deconfirm then we don’t get 1st Parties or already repped 3rd Parties. It’s one or the other. Not both.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Wait? was dante shot down by verge or anything? if not he is still a decent contender...specially after RE bitting de dust.

if no dante, and not monster hunter... i would love the faces of you guys when Morrigan gets revealed :3

anywyas, of all the characters i support, i see Chosen undead/Dark Souls rep as the biggest contender...
BUTT!
if FP5 somehow ends being Morrigan or an Atelier series rep... i will start writing smash prophecies...

D

Deleted member

Dude where you been?! I haven’t seen you since shortly before the Assist Trophy Massacre of November 1, 2018!
TOUGON!

WHERE'VE YOU BEEN?

THIS SITE HAS NOT BEEN THE SAME WITHOUT YOU
I disappeared when the game started leaking sense I wanted to fight Marx blind. Sense then I've been consumed by madoka gacha hell doing school/work things and trying to not die. I'm on break for Thanksgiving r/n, so I've got a few days of nothing to look forward to and I might hang around here for a bit.

On topic, I've been extremely satisfied with DLC so far, so I have no strong opinions regarding fighter 5's identity. I'm mostly in it for the music unless by some miracle The Grinch is our final character. I'm still shocked Hero came with more than 1 music track.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Wait? was dante shot down by verge or anything? if not he is still a decent contender...specially after RE bitting de dust.
IIRC, Dante was brought up by Sabi as a potential DLC character (though they specified that what they were saying was not a verified leak). Then Papagenos (or maybe someone else) on Discord basically said that Dante wasn't Fighter 5.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
It was robbed of it's stardom
On topic, I've been extremely satisfied with DLC so far, so I have no strong opinions regarding fighter 5's identity. I'm mostly in it for the music unless by some miracle The Gothielle is our final character. I'm still shocked Hero came with more than 1 music track.
Welcome back, BTW.. i fixed it for yah
IIRC, Dante was brought up by Sabi as a potential DLC character (though they specified that what they were saying was not a verified leak). Then Papagenos (or maybe someone else) on Discord basically said that Dante wasn't Fighter 5.
that... seems like a flimsy source honestly...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

if no dante, and not monster hunter... i would love the faces of you guys when Morrigan gets revealed :3

anywyas, of all the characters i support, i see Chosen undead/Dark Souls rep as the biggest contender...
BUTT!
if FP5 somehow ends being Morrigan or an Atelier series rep... i will start writing smash prophecies...
Basically, Dante was rumored by someone who wasn’t any of Sabi’s main sources, but then his main source said he wasn’t Fighter #5, so idk.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
PapaGenos reported on Dante not being fighter 5 because Sabi told him. Sabi then later corroborated the statement.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Japan loves AC in contrary to what many will tell you to the point FF14 crossed over with it alongside Garo and Half Life
minor correction: ff15 was the half-life AC crossover

ff14 has garo + a bajillion other things but not AC

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Ornl

Smash Ace
By coincidence, the Column Theory already excluded Ninja Gaiden, DOOM and Resident Evil for the 5th Fighter.
This is a sub-theory of pillar theory. According to the pillar theory, all new DLC Fighters would exclusively come from new series not represented in Assist Trophy, Spirit, Costume & ex-Costume or Music. It present the different series represented by Fighter.s by first appearance on a Nintendo console, excluding Arcade and Game & Watch, and the "series" of Mii. This theory would give the advantage to:
- GB: Lara Croft, Mametchi...
- GBA: Heihachi Mishima, Phoenix Wright, Agumon...
- NDS: Professor Layton, Rune Factory rep, KOS-MOS...
- NDS+Wii: Quote.
- Wii: Amaterasu, Travis Touchdown
- Switch: Reimu Hakurei, other port...

gtgtgtt.png

Last edited:

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
I can't believe Sakurai's gonna cut Banjo to add more fighters.

Their sacrifice won't be forgotten.
Sakurai next Presentation: "Due to recent discoveries, Banjo and Kazooie have been convicted of multiple war crimes, and are currently awaiting trial. Unfortunately, this means they will be cut from the game as of update ver 6.2 and beyond. We apologize for this inconvenience."

D

Deleted member

Sakurai next Presentation: "Due to recent discoveries, Banjo and Kazooie have been convicted of multiple war crimes, and are currently awaiting trial. Unfortunately, this means they will be cut from the game as of update ver 6.2 and beyond. We apologize for this inconvenience."
Banjo & Kazooie have been removed from the game for pressing ceremonial reasons

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
By coincidence, the Column Theory already excluded Ninja Gaiden, DOOM and Resident Evil for the 5th Fighter.
This theory would give the advantage to:
- GB: Lara Croft, Sakura Shinguji, Mametchi...
- GBA: Heihachi Mishima, Phoenix Wright, Sora, Agumon...
- NDS: Layton Professor, KOS-MOS, Ezio, Maxwell...
- Wii: Amaterasu.

View attachment 248373
>NDS
>mentioning Lara Croft but not Neku

*sobs in corner*

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
This theory would give the advantage to:
- GB: Lara Croft, Sakura Shinguji, Mametchi...
- GBA: Heihachi Mishima, Phoenix Wright, Sora, Agumon...
- NDS: Layton Professor, KOS-MOS, Ezio, Maxwell...
- Wii: Amaterasu.

View attachment 248373
I'm confused at what this theory is meant to imply? If Joker can be considered a 3DS rep, surely characters like Pac-Man and Sonic can also cross into literally every other platform, right? If it's going by exclusive games, Sonic would also belong in the GBA section due to the Sonic Advance games.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Maybe the real Fighter Pass 5 was the hours we wasted along the way.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nintendo franchises that should get a newcomer but likely won't?

1: The Legend of Zelda

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Meanwhile, if a Tales rep ain’t FP5...

hypes in KOS-MOS

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If Banjo is getting sued for any reason, the first thing that'll happen is that he'll be convicted for being a man in a mascot suit abusing his pet bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom