• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I knew Terry and FF (Not that FF) as well as KoF existed beforehand, but I didn't know much about him or the two sister series. But despite all of that, Challenger Pack 4 ended up being the best one yet by a long shot. Sometimes it's not just about relevancy or icon power.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
The only reason I'd be particularly standoffish with respect to Dragalia Lost is that I don't see us getting multiple characters from that sphere of gaming and there are other games there that I'd much rather see make an appearance (Cinderella Girls and KanColle in particular, but even others like Azur Lane or Granblue stand out to me more).

On the basis of it being Nintendo, I get it, but on the basis of mobile/web-games, it would feel like a miss to me, personally.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Imagine thinking that Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, and SNK fans don't already own a Switch, considering it's the platform that panders to them the most.

Then imagine also thinking that Persona fans will buy a Switch when they won't get any content for that franchise outside the occasional spin-off.

I don't blame you if you can't, that takes a lot of imagination.
Dragon Quest 11 came out on PS4 two years earlier, King of Fighters 14 is a PS4/PC exclusive, and Rare Replay is still an Xbox One exclusive. Speculation skipped almost all these franchises entirely (with the perpetual exception of Banjo) and went straight for the likes of Shantae and Steve instead. The Switch was clearly not pandering to these franchises enough for people to remember them before they remembered Doom had a Switch port.

Ports are nice and all, but having your franchise's character represented in a faithful degree that can't be found anywhere else in the whole industry is a much more alluring draw. Or else why would anyone else want to be in Smash at all?

There are two fundamental flaws with that, methinks:

One: if these characters "will always have a good chance"... how come they're not in the game yet? We feel like they have a good chance, but in the end we have no idea how Sakurai thinks. Some of these "have had good chances" for like 20 years now - because ironically enough they got passed over by picks from more recent games or more wanted fan choices.

Two: I dunno about SwSh, but I don't see Three Houses or Astral Chain going anywhere even if they don't get a rep in Ultimate. The former is one of the best selling FE games to date and the latter had a great response for a new IP. I can't see Nintendo not adding them later down the line just because they're "not the shiny new thing" anymore. Good games stand out on their own. I feel like if we have to argue that game X has to be picked now because they don't have a chance later, then there's something wrong with either that game or the way the characters are being picked.

I don't think there is such a thing as a wasted opportunity in the end. Sure, I personally care more for third parties at this point, but... the reason we're getting more DLC is to make people happy. So unless we get something like Bubsy or Miner Ultra Adventures, it's hard to refer to anything as a waste, really.
1. Because they've already been judged by Ultimate and turned into Spirits. If they really have what it takes, then they can stick it out like King K. Rool did while fan voices do the rest. But they're not going to find their invitation here and now.

2. Three Houses exists in a tenuous space because there's no telling what the next Fire Emblem might do to succeed it, and 3H has enough flaws to be surpassed. Astral Chain worries about what happened with The Wonderful 101 and Daemon X Machina, both fairly-unique and promising games that nevertheless got spirited. But ultimately, they're both still too young to know if they'll have a legacy - better to sneak in like Greninja and Corrin did than to hope that history remembers you.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm aware of this, but even if someone doesn't want a character or even opposes them outright, it doesn't make sense to considerably underestimate their chances of getting in. See: Hero and "Brave", for example.
Eh, I've seen worse. People are always going to underestimate some franchise. That's understandable, though: we aren't Sakurai. None of us knows what decisions were made for next season.

As far as I'm concerned, the reasoning most people in the RTC thread gave for chance was... relatively sound. People just think other first parties (like TH or AC) have a way better chance than Dragalia, for the most part. I remember part of my own argument was something along the lines of: "if Nintendo was going to pick a mobile game for a rep to cater to the mobile audience, why Dragalia and not FEH"?

I don't think these things constitute underestimating a series just because. I've only seen like two people say "gatcha hell bad" or something along these lines, and even then it was in their Want score, not Chance.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Part of what makes me somewhat hopeful for Reimu's chances is the fact that there's been a boatload of Touhou stuff on the Switch eShop (even if it's a bunch of spinoffs, it is still quite a lot). I don't think she's a lock or anything, far from it, but I do think there's reason to consider the possibility. She's also guest-starred in the same game that Kirby guest-starred in. That probably means nothing but it's neat so I wanted to point it out.

Last edited:

stixie

Smash Apprentice
I know it's mostly a "Japanese" pick but HOLY SMOKES would I LOVE Lloyd Irving to be added.

The tales games are some of my favorite games of all time. I'd probably switch my main to him.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know it's mostly a "Japanese" pick but HOLY SMOKES would I LOVE Lloyd Irving to be added.

The tales games are some of my favorite games of all time. I'd probably switch my main to him.
[insert "unga bunga we have hero already!!!!"]

never played a tales game, but would probably play one if they rereleased it on switch or something as a digital download

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Part of what makes me somewhat hopeful for Reimu's chances is the fact that there's been a boatload of Touhou stuff on the Switch eShop (even if it's a bunch of spinoffs, it is still quite a lot). I don't think she's a lock or anything, far from it, but I do think there's reason to consider the possibility. She's also guest-starred in the same game that Kirby guest-starred in. That probably means nothing but it's neat so I wanted to point it out.
Funnily enough, Phoenix Wright was a guest star in that same game, Taiko no Tatsujin: Dokodon! Mystery Adventure.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

never played a tales game, but would probably play one if they rereleased it on switch or something as a digital download
Tales of the Abyss was remade for the 3DS. You can try that one.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Isn't Lloyd mainly popular in West?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Japan, Yuri seems like a more agreed-upon pick.

stixie

Smash Apprentice

Tales of Vesperia is on the switch. It was WAY better graphics than Symphonia but NOT a better story (imho).

Still... played through Vesperia and it's a GREAT game.

Droodle

Smash Lord
If/when the focus shifts back to first party IPs, I think that Dragalia Lost is super slept on. It's modern, popular, and a huge milestone for Nintendo, and it's one of the few 1st party IPs with zero representation in Smash yet. It's Nintendo's first IP to originate on mobile phones, and it prints money. It's also already had crossovers with Fire Emblem and Megaman. I think Smash would be the perfect series to introduce it to people who can't and/or don't play games on mobile. Grandblue is making console appearances now with its upcoming Fantasy Versus fighting game and Re:link Action RPG, and I'd like to see Dragalia make a similar transition to the home console side of gaming. I'm very interested in the series, but I don't play games on my phone that much.

And apparently, it would surprise a lot of people if it ever happened. I've... never seen ratings this bad for something so legit.

Unfortunately, not everyone here wants to learn more about games they've never played. Personally, series I'm unfamiliar with or normally have no access to give me more reason to be hype. I try to educate myself about them instead of opposing them and stuff; I wholeheartedly welcome them in Smash and can't wait to see how they'd translate/what they'd bring to the table. I know what I'd like to get, but it's also nice to see what others want and why and support them on the sidelines. The end result is pretty much guaranteed to be awesome because this is Smash lol. I didn't understand the Joker, Dragon Quest, and Terry hate. I don't understand the Touhou hate. Etc.

Please... try to open your eyes instead of shooting down everything that isn't Spear Waddle Dee or whatever. And that's not a jab at Bandana Dee; I'm a supporter, but I think you get the point.
I personally doubt we'd get Dragalia Lost since Cygames main flagship game currently is Granblue. I know technically DL is owned by Nintendo while GBF isn't; but from what I know DL isn't THAT popular in Japan. I could totally see us getting some Granblue representation though since it is really popular in Japan. And Cygames even wants to break into the console audience with the upcoming GBF fighting games as well as the RPG game. Cygames is also has some composers present in Smash, and they are one of the last BIG Japanese companies that has no character in Smash.

Which means...
It's in.png

He's in.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Holy cow! This thing was practically made for Fantasy Versus. It'd be the ginormous Tager/Potemkin type ArcSys likes to add.
I'm pretty sure that the only thing that hurts it's chances are the fact that it was an April Fools Joke boss fight they made in GBF. I'm 100% sure it'll either be a DLC character or a boss in VS.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I hate to be a SackNazi but I don’t really see Nathan Drake happening over/With Lara Croft, so I feel like Ratchet and Clank, Kratos, and Sackboy are our main candidates
There isn't much of an overlap between Drake and Lara, so I don't see how one's chances affect the other. As for Ratchet & Clank and LittleBigPlanet, neither has great chances of sticking around for next gens, given Sony's focus. If we get a Sony character, I can only see us getting one that's emblematic of the company, hence why I think God of War and Uncharted are the best choices.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Hey, speaking of Granblue, did we ever find out what that Katalina insider info rumor was for? It did the rounds here way back when because it was initially thought to be Smash-related, but to my knowledge we never actually found out what it was for if not Smash.

With how popular Granblue is, and their broaching into console games, depending on the outcome Katalina could still be a dark horse pick for FP5.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I would like that too. Smash is in desperate need of an overhaul.
No. It's in desperate need of "EVERYONE IS HERE...FOREVER!"

The gameplay is already solid at this point. It doesn't need any huge changes if it's going to result in roster cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom