• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No. It's in desperate need of "EVERYONE IS HERE...FOREVER!"

The gameplay is already solid at this point. It doesn't need any huge changes if it's going to result in roster cuts.
That's what I don't get about the "Smash needs a reboot" crowd. Yeah they could change the gameplay, but like...why? What gameplay change would be worth a full reboot? Especially when the roster, not the gameplay, is the selling point.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Velvet would be such an odd choice for a Tales rep after seeing the fan demand for Lloyd. That, and I don't really see her design working out too well unless Sakurai decides to make major edits to it.

D

Deleted member

That's what I don't get about the "Smash needs a reboot" crowd. Yeah they could change the gameplay, but like...why? What gameplay change would be worth a full reboot? Especially when the roster, not the gameplay, is the selling point.
Some people think some of the old characters could get changes in their moveset like Link did this itteration. You don't need a reboot to do that, though.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Velvet would be such an odd choice for a Tales rep after seeing the fan demand for Lloyd. That, and I don't really see her design working out too well unless Sakurai decides to make major edits to it.
I agree.

Now, allow me to go over my 300 page essay on why Yuri Lowell is a cool guy and why he should be in Smash Bros....

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Some people think some of the old characters could get changes in their moveset like Link did this itteration. You don't need a reboot to do that, though.
Exactly. It's like people forget that Pit literally swapped out every one of his special moves other than neutral special between Brawl and Smash 4.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I agree.

Now, allow me to go over my 300 page essay on why Yuri Lowell is a cool guy and why he should be in Smash Bros....
Yuri definitely has the popularity so I could see him being the second best choice after Lloyd.

Speaking of Yuri, I was actually thinking about picking up Tales of Vesperia when my next check hits. All of this Tales talk has gotten me pretty interested in trying the series out.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Yuri definitely has the popularity so I could see him being the second best choice after Lloyd.

Speaking of Yuri, I was actually thinking about picking up Tales of Vesperia when my next check hits. All of this Tales talk has gotten me pretty interested in trying the series out.
Vesperia is soooooo gooooood. Story might not be for everyone (mainly because of the villains) but it has IMO the best main character group out of the Tales games I've played. I'd definitely recommend it!

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I'm going to regret asking this, but what's a bird theory?
I never heard of it but I'll take a crack at it.

Persona 5 has Crow. Joker has a costume that references Crow.

Dragon Quest has a Bird family category of monsters. Toriyama also designed Dragon Quest characters. Tori means bird.

Kazooie.

Geese Howard and Nakoururu appeared in Terry's reveal trailer. One is named after a bird and another fights with a bird.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Dragon Quest has a Bird family category of monsters. Toriyama also designed Dragon Quest characters. Tori means bird.

Kazooie.

Geese Howard and Naokururu appeared in Terry's reveal trailer. One is named after a bird and another fights with a bird.
And Hayabusa is already out of the running for FP5. Nakoruru's an Mii costume.

That means only one particular character left.

Velvet Crowe.

It finally all adds up!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Never thought Geoff would reply to Sabi lol.

The man knows an opportunity when he sees it.

Kazooie.

Geese Howard and Nakoururu appeared in Terry's reveal trailer. One is named after a bird and another fights with a bird.
Don't feed the birds, please.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Lmao the Tales talk is a good reminder for me to get Berseria as it's only 12.50 and I really want that to be my first Tales game
It's one of the best!

Everyone on Steam should go grab Tales of Berseria while it's discounted and then join the Velvet For Smash train. :4pacman:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Velvet already appeals to me specifically because she uses the powers of evil to fight evil from what I understand and considering that's a core theme of one of my favourite franchises, me likey a LOT.

Also because I am incredibly gay
That's why she appealed to me. lmao including her bisexual proclivities~

She turned out to be a holy concoction of Lelouch vi Britannia, Zero from Drakkengard 3, Guts from Beserk and Ragna the Bloodedge, but as whole, she's just a damn good character in general.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's why she appealed to me. lmao including her bisexual proclivities~

She turned out to be a holy concoction of Lelouch vi Britannia, Zero from Drakkengard 3, Guts from Beserk and Ragna the Bloodedge, but as whole, she's just a damn good character in general.
One thing I do know about Berseria is that Velvet is like Yuri in that she seems to be the most popular character in the game when protags tend to be less popular than side characters

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Lmao the Tales talk is a good reminder for me to get Berseria as it's only 12.50 and I really want that to be my first Tales game
That was the 2nd Tales game for me after Zestiria. One of my favorite RPGs of all time. I’d recommend Zestiria too because the stories are connected and it’s available on the same systems.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Shameless plug, but on the subject of action RPGs, feel free to check out Ys (and Tokyo Xanadu) by Nihon Falcom. I prefer Ys' simple yet fast-paced combat and the music is pretty awesome.

Kazooie.

I like how ya went out of your way to provide random bird references for 3 of them and was just like... "Kazooie".

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Bird theory is hilarious, but also, improbable and dumb. :secretkpop:

I'm assuming that it isn't meant to be taken seriously because there's no way in hell Sakurai's in a living room with billboards of any character who has anything bird-related in their series and picking only them because he's challenging people to spot his secret bird obsession.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Bird theory is hilarious, but also, improbable and dumb. :secretkpop:

I'm assuming that it isn't meant to be taken seriously because there's no way in hell Sakurai's in a living room with billboards of any character who has anything bird-related in their series and picking only them because he's challenging people to spot his secret bird obsession.
At least until you discover that Masahiro Sakurai let his pet cat decide the roster and the cat chose bird related things because it was hungry.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Reiuji Utsuho from Touhou is a Hell Raven. Aya Shameimaru is a Crow Tengu. Mystia Lorelei is a Night Sparrow.
Everything is coming up Reimu...

In addition...

Chihaya Kisaragi's image song is Aoi Tori, or Blue Bird...
iDOLM@STER confirmed.

And Phantasy Star has rappies... PSO2es has a weaponoid designed after Yamigarasu with the associated crow theme.
Phantasy Star confirmed.

99% of the enemies in the new Giana Sisters games are owls, and the owl theme was even forced into terrible puns in the titles...
Giana sisters confirmed.

Final Fantasy XIV features a lot of birds and birdlike-things. Zu, Yol, the primal lanners, the Firebird, Phoenix, Siren, the Vanu Vanu, the Ixal, etc.
FFXIV confirmed.

I like this bird theory...

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
"Bird theory" is this picture of a European Starling! It was said that the species of it is important but then everyone on the discord server that FatManOnIce joins swept it under the rug as it was never meant to be shown to the public from what I remember.

Whatever it was supposed to hint at we'll never know.

cd2d6f7658ac8cf7fe5ca782726d295d3c7cb7f7r1-1720-1232v2_hq.jpg

Plank08

Smash Lord
There isn't much of an overlap between Drake and Lara, so I don't see how one's chances affect the other. As for Ratchet & Clank and LittleBigPlanet, neither has great chances of sticking around for next gens, given Sony's focus. If we get a Sony character, I can only see us getting one that's emblematic of the company, hence why I think God of War and Uncharted are the best choices.
When I bring it up, I’m referring to how they have the same Indiana jones type adventurer niche, I feel like we would only get one of that type of character and Lara Croft would probably be easier to get then a Sony character and is more iconic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom