• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Just an update on that SNK essay that I promised to write if Terry ever got confirmed:

At size 12 font and double-spaced, it is currently over 24 pages. I guess I went overboard but everything is split up nicely into their own section so it is very easy to read. The main sections are:
  • SNK's history
  • Their systems
  • 3 separate sections devoted to their games (pre Neo Geo games, Neo Geo games, and a whole section devoted to KoF)
  • Popularity in Mexico/China
  • Crossovers/collaborations with other companies
  • [Possibly? Not sure yet] A section on random trivia of SNK
  • Closing comments
  • References

Also here is another sneak peak:

Looking forward to it!
Expect me to post the finished version here on Friday (or Saturday at the absolute latest).
There's no chance it's anyone aside from Kratos or Nathan Drake.
I hate to be a SackNazi but I don’t really see Nathan Drake happening over/With Lara Croft, so I feel like Ratchet and Clank, Kratos, and Sackboy are our main candidates

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think the only way people would accept roster cuts is if there's a major gameplay innovation. Something on the level of air dodges and side specials in Melee. Or just make Nintendo vs Capcom instead.
Hear me out

Air Dashes

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Or just make Nintendo vs Capcom instead.
Or better yet, Nintendo vs. SEGA...
Or even just... SEGA vs. SEGA.

Player vs. Enemy is a cooperative mode like Left 4 Dead or Mann vs. Machine in Team Fortress 2.

It's you, and maybe some friends, vs. huge hordes of enemies and you have to survive each wave. You get powerups (in this case, moveset upgrades) between waves and have to survive against a relentless onslaught.
In MMO terms, PvE is pretty much just "The normal content". You have PvP where players compete and the whole affair typically involves directly damaging or killing each other, then there's a bit of side-content like mini-games, but PvE encompasses pretty much everything else that happens in the open field or instances. So it feels weird to see it listed as just a mode. >_>

If someone said "PvE is coming to Smash", my first thought would be, "We're getting (Mushroom) Kingdom Hearts/a Captain N game/etc."

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Looking forward to it!
Thanks.

I hate to be a SackNazi but I don’t really see Nathan Drake happening over/With Lara Croft, so I feel like Ratchet and Clank, Kratos, and Sackboy are our main candidates
Lara isn't owned by Sony so its hard to compare them. And Drake would definitely have priority over Ratchet/Clank given how much more popular Uncharted is.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I thought PvE was Player vs Environment.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Or even just... SEGA vs. SEGA.

In MMO terms, PvE is pretty much just "The normal content". You have PvP where players compete and typically involves directly damaging or killing each other, a bit of side-content like mini-games, and then PvE encompasses pretty much everything else in the open field or instances. So it feels weird to see it listed as just a mode. >_>

If someone said "PvE Smash is coming", my first thought would be, "We're getting (Mushroom) Kingdom Hearts/a Captain N game/etc."
PVE is a very specific mode and subgenre of games these days. Lots of games now have these types of modes in them, and some are basically made just to be PVE exclusively. Games like Payday 1 & 2, Left 4 Dead, Mann vs. Machine in TF2, Horde Mode in Gears of War, and others.

At first I can see how it sounds redundant to call it a mode, but in actuality it has its own gameplay tropes and elements, such as enemies coming in a variety of classes and characters being upgraded beteween waves with specialized abilities for specific purposes (such as characters being able to lay down sentry guns, being able to lay down big heal items, being able to call out the more dangerous enemies before they sneak up on you, etc.). Think of it like a Tower Defense-style mode.

I thought PvE was Player vs Environment.
It can mean both. Depends on the context.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing going for Nathan Drake is he's got a movie coming up. With Tom Holland as Nathan Drake.

Ratchet and Clank also had a movie but it didn't do too hot

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
While I can see Nathan Drake being a hot commodity, I still can't see him getting the nod (outside of Sony expressly making the selection) even over other more modern Sony successes.

I could see an inFAMOUS/Second Son rep getting the slot, for instance, but even if they went with a "Why would you pick this character?" type of modern pick, I would probably say post-apocalyptic Ellen Page would get priority...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think of the WoL 16 slots are true. Not counting:ultpiranha:who was a free bonus we'll probably be getting 3 passes in total. It lines up perfectly.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
This is something I wanted to mention earlier this morning when it was relevant to discussion, but I had to head to school (where I currently am, but I'm all caught up and stuff). Now that I can talk, though, I'll say what I wanted to say. ^^;
I do think spirits deconfirm in regards to the first Fighters Pass and obviously the one bit of pre-pass DLC we got. However I do not think they deconfirm in regards to post-pass DLC. They're not going to limit themselves that insanely harshly given the new round of planning that had to have occurred in recent past months.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
While I can see Nathan Drake being a hot commodity, I still can't see him getting the nod (outside of Sony expressly making the selection) even over other more modern Sony successes.

I could see an inFAMOUS/Second Son rep getting the slot, for instance, but even if they went with a "Why would you pick this character?" type of modern pick, I would probably say post-apocalyptic Ellen Page would get priority...
Delsin is cool and I love Second Son, but if its an inFAMOUS rep what we're talking about, I think it should be Cole.

Apparently it's a prequel story about a younger Nate.
So, an adaptation of Uncharted 3? That sounds cool.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
To spend slots on characters who are always going to have a good chance (like your first parties) instead of those who will never have this chance again (because they'll be struggling to get Cloud and Pac-man back next time) is the textbook definition of a wasted opportunity. That's why it's mostly Three Houses, Astral Chain, and Sword/Shield who enter the conversation from the first-party side anymore - they don't have any guarantee that they'll still be likely newcomers in the future, especially if/when a newer game supplants them.
There are two fundamental flaws with that, methinks:

One: if these characters "will always have a good chance"... how come they're not in the game yet? We feel like they have a good chance, but in the end we have no idea how Sakurai thinks. Some of these "have had good chances" for like 20 years now - because ironically enough they got passed over by picks from more recent games or more wanted fan choices.

Two: I dunno about SwSh, but I don't see Three Houses or Astral Chain going anywhere even if they don't get a rep in Ultimate. The former is one of the best selling FE games to date and the latter had a great response for a new IP. I can't see Nintendo not adding them later down the line just because they're "not the shiny new thing" anymore. Good games stand out on their own. I feel like if we have to argue that game X has to be picked now because they don't have a chance later, then there's something wrong with either that game or the way the characters are being picked.

I don't think there is such a thing as a wasted opportunity in the end. Sure, I personally care more for third parties at this point, but... the reason we're getting more DLC is to make people happy. So unless we get something like Bubsy or Miner Ultra Adventures, it's hard to refer to anything as a waste, really.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
If/when the focus shifts back to first party IPs, I think that Dragalia Lost is super slept on. It's modern, popular, and a huge milestone for Nintendo, and it's one of the few 1st party IPs with zero representation in Smash yet. It's Nintendo's first IP to originate on mobile phones, and it prints money. It's also already had crossovers with Fire Emblem and Megaman. I think Smash would be the perfect series to introduce it to people who can't and/or don't play games on mobile. Grandblue is making console appearances now with its upcoming Fantasy Versus fighting game and Re:link Action RPG, and I'd like to see Dragalia make a similar transition to the home console side of gaming. I'm very interested in the series, but I don't play games on my phone that much.

And apparently, it would surprise a lot of people if it ever happened. I've... never seen ratings this bad for something so legit.

What is a Dragalia?
Chance: 5%
Want: 0%
Dragalia Lost:
Chance: 2%
No experience w/ Dragalia Lost
Chance: 1 % for Ultimate's DLC, 20 % for Smash 6.
Dragalia Lost rep

Chance: 1%

Dragalia Lost character
Chance - 5%
Dragalia Lost Rep
Dragalia Last

Unfortunately, not everyone here wants to learn more about games they've never played. Personally, series I'm unfamiliar with or normally have no access to give me more reason to be hype. I try to educate myself about them instead of opposing them and stuff; I wholeheartedly welcome them in Smash and can't wait to see how they'd translate/what they'd bring to the table. I know what I'd like to get, but it's also nice to see what others want and why and support them on the sidelines. The end result is pretty much guaranteed to be awesome because this is Smash lol. I didn't understand the Joker, Dragon Quest, and Terry hate. I don't understand the Touhou hate. Etc.

Please... try to open your eyes instead of shooting down everything that isn't Spear Waddle Dee or whatever. And that's not a jab at Bandana Dee; I'm a supporter, but I think you get the point.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
This is something I wanted to mention earlier this morning when it was relevant to discussion, but I had to head to school (where I currently am, but I'm all caught up and stuff). Now that I can talk, though, I'll say what I wanted to say. ^^;
I do think spirits deconfirm in regards to the first Fighters Pass and obviously the one bit of pre-pass DLC we got. However I do not think they deconfirm in regards to post-pass DLC. They're not going to limit themselves that insanely harshly given the new round of planning that had to have occurred in recent past months.
To be fair, if the rest of DLC is going to follow the example of the first pass, they wouldn't be limiting themselves that much. There are dozens of popular third-party franchises that's yet to appear in Smash and you can easily add ten characters from completely new series.

D

Deleted member

I'm not going into" who deserves to be in" argument because that's super subjective, but... Let's be honest. People were expecting Smash 4 DLC to fill in the "gaps" in the roster. Isaac, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee... characters that people thought was missing from their perfect roster.

We all know how that turned out.

I'm not saying first-party fan favorites have no chance getting in, but I really wouldn't expect more than one. It's obvious that Nintendo and Sakurai have bigger priorities than realizing Brawl fan rosters and I get why.
I agree with this generally. After BK, though, I think one more Smash Bubble DLC character is very likely. Because :ultbanjokazooie: does show Sakurai is still paying attention to what the core fans might be wanting.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

To be fair, if the rest of DLC is going to follow the example of the first pass, they wouldn't be limiting themselves that much. There are dozens of popular third-party franchises that's yet to appear in Smash and you can easily add ten characters from completely new series.
Most definitely, though I fear that first parties would be neglected a bit too much.

D

Deleted member

Most definitely, though I fear that first parties would be neglected a bit too much.
You're not wrong in expecting this. I think beyond promotional picks like Fire Emblem Three Houses or Pokemon Gen 8, we're not gonna see a lot of new first parties, which is similar to how Smash 4 DLC played out honestly.

D

Deleted member

Probably, but who owns a character doesn't affect whether or not I like them so I'm indifferent myself.
Pretty much. BK could have still been owned by Nintendo and I still would have popped off at E3

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Unfortunately, not everyone here wants to learn more about games they've never played. Personally, series I'm unfamiliar with or normally have no access to give me more reason to be hype. I try to educate myself about them instead of opposing them and stuff; I wholeheartedly welcome them in Smash. I know what I'd like to get, but it's also nice to see what others want and why and support them on the sidelines.
To be fair, there's a difference between not wanting a character and opposing a character's inclusion.

I personally don't see anything too exciting about Euden or other Dragalia characters. Doesn't mean I'll be an *** to his supporters if he gets in.

D

Deleted member

Pretty much this, and I believe with even the pass we could still be getting first party characters that are not yet present in the game like the Astral Chain twins.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Or even just... SEGA vs. SEGA."
Better yet: let's just get a Project X Zone-style fighting game with all the companies currently in the roster.

Granted, the pickings might be a little slim because the characters would probably be divided up equally, meaning each company would get like 10 choices in an 80 character roster, but still.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm not going into" who deserves to be in" argument because that's super subjective, but... Let's be honest. People were expecting Smash 4 DLC to fill in the "gaps" in the roster. Isaac, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee... characters that people thought was missing from their perfect roster.

We all know how that turned out.

I'm not saying first-party fan favorites have no chance getting in, but I really wouldn't expect more than one. It's obvious that Nintendo and Sakurai have bigger priorities than realizing Brawl fan rosters and I get why.
It's also important to remember that "roster discussion community first-party fan favorites" and "first-party fan favorites" aren't necessarily the same thing. I think Splatoon is a great example of this; despite being Nintendo's biggest new IP in ages, especially in Japan, you really don't see it get talked about much as needing more newcomers in communities like this, when in reality more Splatoon newcomers could probably bring enough hype to rival many of the third-party inclusions. Communities like this lend themselves to a certain degree of blindness towards what's actually popular.

KatKit

Smash Lord
To be fair, there's a difference between not wanting a character and opposing a character's inclusion.

I personally don't see anything too exciting about Euden or other Dragalia characters. Doesn't mean I'll be an *** to his supporters if he gets in.
I'm aware of this, but even if someone doesn't want a character or even opposes them outright, it doesn't make sense to considerably underestimate their chances of getting in. See: Hero and "Brave", for example. Tunnel vision is one way to set yourself up for disappointment.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I kind of hope none of the DLC is of fighters whose series are already repped. Whether 1st or 3rd party doesn't matter much to me, just that I'd rather it be fighters from unrepresented series like it has been thus far. I won't be upset if that's not how it goes though, since it's still cool to see new fighters anyhow. Thing is, I think it's best to try and go all-in on bringing as many new worlds into Ultimate as possible. As it's been said, there probably won't be another opportunity to do it at this scale. It really is now or never for the ultimate video game. :184:

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm aware of this, but even if someone doesn't want a character or even opposes them outright, it doesn't make sense to considerably underestimate their chances of getting in. Exhibit A: Erdrick and "Brave".
I actually didn't even know Dragalia was a Nintendo IP. That's pretty cool.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I really don't care about which character gets in. My most wanted either got disconfirmed or went Terry mode, and that only applies to Terry.

That said, I'm still going with Porky based on logic. :239:

D

Deleted member

I wholeheartedly welcome them in Smash and can't wait to see how they'd translate/what they'd bring to the table. I know what I'd like to get, but it's also nice to see what others want and why and support them on the sidelines. The end result is pretty much guaranteed to be awesome because this is Smash lol. I didn't understand the Joker, Dragon Quest, and Terry hate. I don't understand the Touhou hate. Etc.

Please... try to open your eyes instead of shooting down everything that isn't Spear Waddle Dee or whatever. And that's not a jab at Bandana Dee; I'm a supporter, but I think you get the point.
I agree. I got to learn more about King of Fighters throughout Terry's hype cycle and it gave me some *****-ing soundtracks to listen to in my free time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom